Author Topic: Shoulder training  (Read 5962 times)

Painlayer420

• Getbig II
  • Live,Lift,and Dominate
Shoulder training
« on: July 15, 2006, 07:58:52 PM »
Could i still get a good rounded look to my shoulders by just doing heavy presses and rear delt flyes?

Painlayer420

• Getbig II
  • Live,Lift,and Dominate
Re: Shoulder training
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 08:27:23 PM »
My shoulders just hurt really bad if i do any kind of front or side lateral raises, I think i have inflamed joints

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 08:53:27 PM »
Could i still get a good rounded look to my shoulders by just doing heavy presses and rear delt flyes?

That really depends upon your genetic potential. If you are asking the question, probably not without direct training of all sides of the delts. The exercises that you mentioned primarily work the rear and front portions. It helps to put in a side delt movement such as lateral raise or upright row to the lower chest.

I know that you did'nt ask but try this program for added delt size if you wish:

You will need access to the following:
Either a barbell or a smith machine
Dumbbells
Reverse pek dek (or you could perform rear delt raises)

first warm up the delts with a light and moderate set of 15 reps for the first one and 7 reps for the second one on overhead front shoulder press

Okay once you are warmed up do the following routine. Exercises that are followed by a -ss- are considered a superset and should be done with no rest from the exercise before it. Repetition speed on all exercises is 2 second raise, 2 second pause, and 4 second lowering.

Seated side dumbbell raise 5-6 reps to failure, reduce weight by aprox. 20% and go to failure again, once again reduce weight by 20% and go to failure again
-ss-
Upright barbell row with moderate grip (pull bar to lower chest line) 4-6 reps to failure, reduce weight by aprox 20% and go to failure again, reduce weight once again by 20% and go to failure
-ss-
Seated front presses 6-8 reps to failure, drop weight by aprox 20% and go to failure, reduce weight by aprox 20% and go to failure again

okay rest about 60-90 seconds and do the rear delts

reverse pek dek flyes or bent dumbbell rear raise 6-8 reps to failure, drop weight aprox 20% and go to failure
-ss-
shoulder width bent over row (important: pull bar to lower chest line) 8-10 reps to failure

rest 60-90 seconds

Shoulder shrug with barbell 10-15 reps

One cycle through this will torch your delts if you do it exactly, and will be enough to make them grow round and full, providing of course you have the rest of your stuff in order. Do this once a week only.

Painlayer420

• Getbig II
  • Live,Lift,and Dominate
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 11:12:01 AM »
Thanx man i appreciate the input, You are alot of help

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 12:53:04 PM »
Those two are good...but if you are having shoulder problems you might want to think twice about the over head stuff and start doing some rotator cuff work. 

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 02:15:38 PM »
answer is basically yes.

listen to myseone one of best physiques pros included on this board.

however my 2c is that do what works for you. i do no direct shoulder work and mine are ok like. ne probs pm sumone like him he always helps and is a well respected member

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 03:00:37 PM »
Thanks Gourdy.

I did'n t read the part about the shoulder pain, my bad.

It could be due to rotator cuff issues or simply over work. Try backing off of training them for a week or two directly to give the area some rest.

I definitely think that there is more than one path to the same goal, and we all should listen to what are muscle groups are saying. I also think that most successful natural bodybuilders would agree that short duration, hard and fairly infrequent work on the basics is the way to go.

A little rational experimentation is in order.

Painlayer420

• Getbig II
  • Live,Lift,and Dominate
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 05:34:22 PM »
Yeah man my right shoulder in particular it used to click alot but now its just more of an inflammed feeling, If i do preacher curls it also hurts a little but i deal with that. But as far as side and front laterals are concerned i havent dont them in about 1 year. Because thats when my shoulder starts killing me i even had to call in to work because of it like 3 months ago. 

Thanx for the advice bro

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 10:52:06 AM »
Yeah man my right shoulder in particular it used to click alot but now its just more of an inflammed feeling, If i do preacher curls it also hurts a little but i deal with that. But as far as side and front laterals are concerned i havent dont them in about 1 year. Because thats when my shoulder starts killing me i even had to call in to work because of it like 3 months ago. 

Thanx for the advice bro

The preacher curl can be hell on that area, as the bicep tendon attaches under the shoulder muscle.

Just do what does'nt hurt, and have the shoulder looked at by someone who knows about shoulder issues.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:30:23 AM »
I would still hit front delts just go super light and work your way up.  Unless its a serious injury......I have always been able to work through something going super light and gradually building up........I think people just don't go light enough.

Painlayer420

• Getbig II
  • Live,Lift,and Dominate
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 10:51:46 AM »
Thanx everybody i really do appreciate the help

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 04:29:05 PM »
front delts are a waste of time....military presses only make your chest look weak...they dont add any visible mass to your shoulders.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 03:57:32 AM »
front delts are a waste of time....military presses only make your chest look weak...they dont add any visible mass to your shoulders.
So what would you recommend then?

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 01:42:10 PM »
candidate doesn't know shit about fuck.

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 01:51:12 PM »
Most of the time, in most cases, exercises such as overhead press and upright rows will put the most mass on the delts. Rowing movements done to the pec line will work the rear delts really well, and hit the sides somewhats as well.

For targeting specific regions isolation raise movements work best in most cases.

My advice is that you should come up with a no frills training routine and give it some time to work, stick with it.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 01:54:06 PM »
My shoulders just hurt really bad if i do any kind of front or side lateral raises, I think i have inflamed joints

I had bursitis (like tendinitis but worse) in my delts.     Just Ice every day, take a 2 weeks off from training shoulders and only use machines or go light for chest exercises. 

If you don't rest and take it easy they will only get worse.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »
candidate doesn't know shit about f**k.
haha yeah because bast is sooooooo much more knowledgable than me. ::)
d[-_-]b actin all cool

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 01:28:45 AM »
Overhead presses and upright rows for the medial/anterior heads. One Arm Rows for the rear delts.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 04:27:49 AM »
what worked for me is spending LOTS of time with very light weight getting the technique down for db side and rear laterals........play round with it till u can feel it.

try pyramiding with those aswell without rest.

ummm and db military to finish off........thats me anyhow , works a charm

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 11:11:14 AM »
haha yeah because bast is sooooooo much more knowledgable than me. ::)

this coming from a high schooler who implied that caffeine was an energy source.

how many calories is there in a gram of caffeine? hahha

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 01:26:34 PM »
this coming from a high schooler who implied that caffeine was an energy source.

how many calories is there in a gram of caffeine? hahha

no i said that you would be using the caffiene, not bodyfat, to preform cardio....and that you shouldnt have it before cardio.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 01:29:21 PM »
and i stand by my statement that front delts are a waste of time.   lee priest would look 1000000000000 times better if he stopped training them.    his chest would work out more in becnh presses...and it would have the illusion of being thicker because the front delts would be popping out 3 inches past his chest like they do now.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 04:55:18 PM »
I think its obvious that you think trainig front delts is a waste of time. Tell everyone what else is a waste of time ? Perhaps taking pickles out of your whopper? Or maybe just chewying food in general, taste all the same. Might as well just inhale it ..right ?
L

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 04:58:34 PM »
no i said that you would be using the caffiene, not bodyfat, to preform cardio....and that you shouldnt have it before cardio.

yes you're implying that Caffeine has calories then.   Which is wrong.

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 11:53:40 PM »
and i stand by my statement that front delts are a waste of time.   lee priest would look 1000000000000 times better if he stopped training them.    his chest would work out more in becnh presses...and it would have the illusion of being thicker because the front delts would be popping out 3 inches past his chest like they do now.

dude are you for real?