Author Topic: Can hypertrophy physiologically be achieved on a 5 rep scheme?  (Read 22360 times)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: Can hypertrophy physiologically be achieved on a 5 rep scheme?
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2008, 12:04:04 PM »
overload but you are a powerlifting bodybuilder.. you care about how strong you are... for myself; the low rep range (like doubles and triples) arent going to do anything but make me carry more plates my next workout ! LOL..   the lowest i ever go is 5 reps...   and i do that just about every workout for at least one set on a major compound movement... but most of my sets ly somewhere between 6-12 reps

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2008, 12:12:25 PM »
overload but you are a powerlifting bodybuilder.. you care about how strong you are... for myself; the low rep range (like doubles and triples) arent going to do anything but make me carry more plates my next workout ! LOL..   the lowest i ever go is 5 reps...   and i do that just about every workout for at least one set on a major compound movement... but most of my sets ly somewhere between 6-12 reps

To each his own my friend...we all like our own little protocols.

It's all about doing what we like and what works for us...you are on the right track, so just stick to what you enjoy.

i promise you those doubles and triples made my "sets of 6-12" go up quite a bit... ;)

But you are right, i've always focused my training on how much weight i can move.

8)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2008, 12:17:42 PM »
i want to stay as weak as i can so i NEVER have to load up 22 plates on a leg press like ronnie had to do ! LOL !!  ;D

no, but seriously, i do like to move more weight..it definitely feels good to be pushing more plates and FEELING more muscular as well as looking more muscular..    but i just let the strength come along at whatever pace it wants while i push the growth as fast as it can

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2008, 12:55:06 PM »
i want to stay as weak as i can so i NEVER have to load up 22 plates on a leg press like ronnie had to do ! LOL !!  ;D

no, but seriously, i do like to move more weight..it definitely feels good to be pushing more plates and FEELING more muscular as well as looking more muscular..    but i just let the strength come along at whatever pace it wants while i push the growth as fast as it can

yea but if your moving more weight progressively then your bound to get bigger...you cant really get stronger without getting bigger...so to get big you have to move big...(thats my understanding)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »
yea but if your moving more weight progressively then your bound to get bigger...you cant really get stronger without getting bigger...so to get big you have to move big...(thats my understanding)
well imo yes and no

yes, there has to bbe some kind of strength increase while you grow..

BUT look at powerlifting meets where 170 lb guys are benching over 350..   these guys werent born benching that much...they grew much much stronger, but because of the way they train and probably the way they eat too they dont grow they just get stronger

the low rep ranges dont cause much hypertrophy activation..  the best is 6-12 to complete failure...weight doesnt really matter what matters is reaching failure within the desired rep range...   

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2008, 01:24:28 PM »
well imo yes and no

BUT look at powerlifting meets where 170 lb guys are benching over 350..   these guys werent born benching that much...they grew much much stronger, but because of the way they train and probably the way they eat too they dont grow they just get stronger

the low rep ranges dont cause much hypertrophy activation..  the best is 6-12 to complete failure...weight doesnt really matter what matters is reaching failure within the desired rep range...   

i know what your saying and its a real valid point but like you said about the powerlifters i mean they arent trying to get bigger but they are getting stronger and still getting bigger but still you get bigger as long as your getting stronger...and im not going to speak on the going to failure ive never done it till today and it was a hell of a workout...and for my persoanl goals i want to get stronger and bigger...and hopefully this new program with going to failure HIT style is a perfect combo of strength gain and size gain...

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2008, 03:57:09 PM »
well imo yes and no

you're talking singles, and you're also talking a sport in which large jumps are made in strength by fixing form and working on efficiency.

if you lock down your form and go from benching 225x5 to 315x5, every single muscle involved is going to be considerably bigger.

as for that 170 guy, chances are when he was benching 135 he also weighed the same. you'll almost never see a guy who weighs 165 that puts 150 pounds on his bench and stays the same weight unless he lost a lot of fat along the way.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2008, 04:05:35 PM »
going from 225 for 5 to 315 for 5, sure, regardless of how you train; if your eating half way decent there will be some kind of muscular growth. HOW MUCH GROWTH is dependant on the rep range you utilize to progress from the one strength to other.  if your lifting in a rep range of 1-4 when your make the strength progression, you are goin to reach that strength very quickly, but your not going to grow very much. if you make that jump in strength utilizing rep ranges 6-12, making the jump in strength is going to take longer, but during that progression you will grow much more than using the rep range of 1-4.
 :)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »
going from 225 for 5 to 315 for 5, sure, regardless of how you train; if your eating half way decent there will be some kind of muscular growth. HOW MUCH GROWTH is dependant on the rep range you utilize to progress from the one strength to other.  if your lifting in a rep range of 1-4 when your make the strength progression, you are goin to reach that strength very quickly, but your not going to grow very much. if you make that jump in strength utilizing rep ranges 6-12, making the jump in strength is going to take longer, but during that progression you will grow much more than using the rep range of 1-4.

you need to make up your mind.  :D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2008, 04:24:08 PM »

well sure, because at the extremely low rep end a lot of the progress comes in the form of recruitment and neuron efficiency. that's how you can literally put 50 pounds on someone's bench through a few form tweaks and teaching him how to use leg drive and the lats.

but i'm talking about straight up increases in muscular strength. it's like Dante said, take one guy and put him through all the crazy giant sets and drop sets for his legs you want, he might grow a little. take that same guy and put 200 pounds on his max squat and his legs will grow a lot.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »
you need to make up your mind.  :D
not everything is cut and dry one way or the other, SLAVE, ive been consistant with what im saying...

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2008, 04:36:17 PM »
not everything is cut and dry one way or the other, SLAVE, ive been consistant with what im saying...

lol

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »
slave ive seen nothing from you displayin any actual knowledge on this board. your arrogance is not backed up by anything to be arrogant about.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2008, 08:03:48 PM »
slave ive seen nothing from you displayin any actual knowledge on this board. your arrogance is not backed up by anything to be arrogant about.

thats because you only talk and never listen. not that your small brain has any analytical capabilities, so it doesnt really matter   :D.  your all copy and paste , 'bro'.

hope this helps

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2008, 08:13:11 PM »

To the contrary, I agree 100% with pretty much every piece of advice he's given on here.  He obviously knows his stuff.  Check out his training log.  He's pushing poundages that you might be pushing, with luck and a lot of hard work, 6-8 years down the road.  I think you'd be best served not dishing out your own advice and instead keeping an open mind and being receptive to what far more experienced guys say.  Otherwise, you'll never get very far.  Take that FWIW.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2008, 08:19:58 PM »

but i'm talking about straight up increases in muscular strength. it's like Dante said, take one guy and put him through all the crazy giant sets and drop sets for his legs you want, he might grow a little. take that same guy and put 200 pounds on his max squat and his legs will grow a lot.

Yup.  There are really no constants in things like this.  I've never had a problem growing with lower rep ranges on the compound movements, though I used to and still do cycle rep ranges and throw in a few weeks here and there for higher reps for good measure and to keep from getting stale.  Everybody's different, to a degree. 

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2008, 08:38:49 PM »
 slave if i EVER copy and paste something or write anything that isnt coming from my own knowledge and experience i ALWAYS make sure to put down the actual source of that information.  "all copy and paste", ...lol.. you, my friend, are all "speculation"..  ;)

panda strength claims are rediculous and, IMO, homophobic (LOL), but his lifts are very similar to what i do..and i do higher volume workouts

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »
slave if i EVER copy and paste something or write anything that isnt coming from my own knowledge and experience i ALWAYS make sure to put down the actual source of that information.  "all copy and paste", ...lol.. you, my friend, are all "speculation"..  ;)

panda strength claims are rediculous and, IMO, homophobic (LOL), but his lifts are very similar to what i do..and i do higher volume workouts

So you're inclining the 120 DBs for multiple sets of 10-12 reps?

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2008, 08:44:06 PM »
Hey, compare your dick size elsewhere.

I respect Pandy and Slave on this forum and their advices fall in line with friends of mine who are HEAD athletic and weight trainers at D1 universities.  These guys get six figures a year to ensure that athletes gain the size, speed and strength they need to perform.  Most football players I worked with are bigger and in better shape than most on here and they follow workouts similar to those proscribed by these two. 

Candy, take it easy and learn from people with experience.  If you disagree, fine, but do not assume that what you paste is the end all be all of lifting knowledge.  Take what you like, leave the rest, and stay humble.

Train hard guys.
Squishy face retard

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »
Hey, compare your dick size elsewhere.

I respect Pandy and Slave on this forum and their advices fall in line with friends of mine who are HEAD athletic and weight trainers at D1 universities.  These guys get six figures a year to ensure that athletes gain the size, speed and strength they need to perform.  Most football players I worked with are bigger and in better shape than most on here and they follow workouts similar to those proscribed by these two. 

Candy, take it easy and learn from people with experience.  If you disagree, fine, but do not assume that what you paste is the end all be all of lifting knowledge.  Take what you like, leave the rest, and stay humble.

Train hard guys.
HEY AWESOME WAY TO NOT TAKE SIDES AND STAY OBJECTIVE, MODERATOR  ::)

you guys are fucking douchebags, honestly

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2008, 08:57:27 PM »
So you're inclining the 120 DBs for multiple sets of 10-12 reps?
what the fuck does it matter what i lift ? 

sergio olivia rarely if ever used more than 185 lbs on the bench press throughout his career
pretty damn good chest, no?

weight doesnt mean jack fucking shit

read a book, or, better yet, learn how to isolate with mind+muscleconnection

and to answer your question, that is irrelevaant to the discussion of hypertophy rep ranges, yes i can easily do working sets with the 120's if i feel like being a fucking idiot and using that much weight...which is completely unnecessary... i can make myself grow faster using 90 lb dumbells and making them feel like 150 lb dumbells

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2008, 08:58:29 PM »
No, it's telling you to not dismiss everything you agree with and to keep an open mind.  If you don't, that's fine but don't come on here and start fights by attacking members.  Fair enough?
Squishy face retard

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »
No, it's telling you to not dismiss everything you agree with and to keep an open mind.  If you don't, that's fine but don't come on here and start fights by attacking members.  Fair enough?
id didnt attack anybody, untill afetr i was personally insulted for no reason,  BRO.. re-read the posts

and saying "what you paste" in regards to my posts is also a blatant smack in the face, and BRO,  for all i care your disrespectful ass can go suck a dick

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2008, 09:02:01 PM »
what the fuck does it matter what i lift ? 

Settle down, sport.  You claimed your lifts were similar to his (see below), except that you use those weights for higher reps than he does.  I was just asking what your lifts were.

his lifts are very similar to what i do..and i do higher volume workouts

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2008, 09:04:22 PM »
Settle down, sport.  You claimed your lifts were similar to his (see below), except that you use those weights for higher reps than he does.  I was just asking what your lifts were.

yes i can lift the same amount of weight he does. and yes i can do it high reps high volume. i have good natural muscle stamina and i actually tend to get stronger as i go through a workout. to a point, of course.

but i dont use any more weight than i need to. and when im in the zone i can make one plate per side feel like 3 plates per side. and thats all that matters, what the muscle feels its lifting, not what it actually is lifting.