Author Topic: Angled Smith Machine is a good piece of equipment.  (Read 27106 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Angled Smith Machine is a good piece of equipment.
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »
Irritating? What a joke. When I design pieces of equipment they are intended to be used in a particular fashion. Most users have too many plates and have to cheat to complete the movements. This applies especially to triceps movements. If the elbows move you can be sure the triceps are not being contracted properly. It isn't always obvious how to position oneself in machines. Even long time members need help from time to time.

I wish I had someone knowledgeable around when I started training. That would have saved me countless years and frustration. Getbiggers have no need for information because they already know everything. Some genuine people send me messages wanting help. I prefer to help them via posts. Otherwise I am doing personal training and I try not to do that.

Look at what this site has become. What a joke. Good threads are hijacked for fun and everyone has a good laugh. Then when we see photos of our heroes they are hardly that.  

I believe Vince Goodrum would make a better trainer and get better results from a client than you would.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2011, 08:14:24 PM »
Hapless Chaos having to train in a second rate gym. A pity. Don't take your frustration out on others. Makes you look like a prick.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2011, 08:18:42 PM »
Hapless Chaos having to train in a second rate gym. A pity. Don't take your frustration out on others. Makes you look like a prick.
hahhaa Hate to burst your bubble, denture clacker, but my gym has free weights, no need for a  never was, exiled, wanna be bodybuilder that had to pick his own judges to win a contest in a high school auditorium to cruise around looking for young men to "guide" and "spot" while they squat in the smith machine.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2011, 08:27:32 PM »
Irritating? What a joke. When I design pieces of equipment they are intended to be used in a particular fashion. Most users have too many plates and have to cheat to complete the movements. This applies especially to triceps movements. If the elbows move you can be sure the triceps are not being contracted properly. It isn't always obvious how to position oneself in machines. Even long time members need help from time to time.

I wish I had someone knowledgeable around when I started training. That would have saved me countless years and frustration. Getbiggers have no need for information because they already know everything. Some genuine people send me messages wanting help. I prefer to help them via posts. Otherwise I am doing personal training and I try not to do that.

Look at what this site has become. What a joke. Good threads are hijacked for fun and everyone has a good laugh. Then when we see photos of our heroes they are hardly that.  

In what way is this a good thread?

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »
Basile is so fired up, he's probably had to change his "dignity briefs" 3-4 times by now!

does his brief consist of 5 blue stars that he desperately longed for in Getbig?
I am a mini beast

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
  • "You've got size, but you don't have my size!"
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2011, 09:38:10 PM »
You are splitting hairs to justify what you do or don't do. Typical of muscleheads who don't want to use machines or being seen using them. If it feels the same then it is the same. What could be simpler?

Compound movements cannot be duplicated with machines. Also, machines cannot built total body power and density like free weights. A physique built on machines does not look as impressive as a physique built on free weights, period.

LATS

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2011, 10:24:07 PM »
besides the stabilizing muscles weight is weight.. machine or free weight.. if the stress is on the targeted muscle then all is good whether it is a free weight or machine.. the result in the look of the muscle will not be any different..

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »
In what way is this a good thread?

Dumb is as dumb posts. This is at least an attempt at discussing equipment and training instead of the rubbish usually posted on Getbig.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 08:34:39 AM »
Dumb is as dumb posts. This is at least an attempt at discussing equipment and training instead of the rubbish usually posted on Getbig.

I'm not sure what thread you are reading but this one is mostly about the pros and cons of machines and free weights, which seems to be your desired topic.  Just because most of the posters are disagreeing with your contention that "the angled Smith Machine allows users to duplicate the path used in squats" doesn't mean they are dumb (they are correct) and that the posts are "rubbish".  You are the one flying off the handle every time someone disagrees with you.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2011, 05:01:13 PM »
i sold this smith machine for a few years....it allowed the bar to move front to back and up and down....so essentially it just balanced the bar from side to side for you....

We have one in my gym.it's awesome.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
There is some confusion about training with machines. Some people don't believe they are useful and miss out on using good equipment. The angled Smith Machine allows users to duplicate the path used in squats, bench presses and other movements. This angle is about 10 degrees from the vertical.  Combine that benefit with the safety factor and you have equipment that can be used when training alone.

The handle on my Smith Machine is 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Machines that use Olympic bars are 1 1/8" across. Many machines have a counterweight which more or less eliminates the weight of the bar and so whatever weight you add is what you are lifting. Machines without counterweights seem heavier because you are lifting the bar plus bearing assemblies. On my machine the assembly plus bar weighs about 60 pounds.

When you do squats you do plenty of stabilizing on the machine. To think otherwise means you haven't used these machines.

What a piece of junk
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2011, 05:13:39 PM »
Just a matter of time before that know it all buffoon and total nincompoop Melvin Goodrum comments. I swear the guy gets jealous when others are bagging me. Go figure!

Chaos is a jerk and a half for sure. Where do these assholes come from and what do they get out of posting nasty stuff here?

Most of you don't train in a good gym. Attitudes and ideas are absorbed without question by most knuckleheads and they do what the thickheads do.....free weights. What a joke and how noisy and boring.

Too bad some of you can't come to my gym and experience some of my machines. Those who do come would be intimidated by many of the machines so would meekly use the good old dumbbells which suits their style. Bodybuilders are like sheep. They blindly follow whatever is in the magazines. They eat too much protein and most have no clue how to get bigger than they are.

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »
What a load of absolute bullshit. Do the damn exercise. It feels the same. Free weight devotees really are close-minded knuckleheads. Toss all the free weights into the ocean and make our sport a better thing. Get rid of all that clanging and tossing weights down. This is primitive bodybuilding at its worst.

3 dimensions equates to strength. Machines are not a substitute.
Trans Milkshake.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »
Just a matter of time before that know it all buffoon and total nincompoop Melvin Goodrum comments. I swear the guy gets jealous when others are bagging me. Go figure!

Chaos is a jerk and a half for sure. Where do these assholes come from and what do they get out of posting nasty stuff here?

Most of you don't train in a good gym. Attitudes and ideas are absorbed without question by most knuckleheads and they do what the thickheads do.....free weights. What a joke and how noisy and boring.

Too bad some of you can't come to my gym and experience some of my machines. Those who do come would be intimidated by many of the machines so would meekly use the good old dumbbells which suits their style. Bodybuilders are like sheep. They blindly follow whatever is in the magazines. They eat too much protein and most have no clue how to get bigger than they are.

Basile, you're way too dependent on machines for exercise and fitness while I can train people with little to no equipment at all.  Not only that, its always the same thing with you in regards to hypertrophy and your "hand built equipment" and it gets redundant.

As far as that piece of equipment, it looks cheap and poorly crafted and quite frankly, I hate Smith Machines.  Free weights are the only way to build proper muscle and using a cage rack system allows you the freedom of movement and safety.
A

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2011, 05:20:32 PM »
Lol @ Basshole melting down over the shitty machines he stole the designs for.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »
Lol @ Basshole melting down over the shitty machines he stole the designs for.

Anyone who can find that I copied other equipment can remove that piece from my gym. How about that? Designing equipment takes a lot of time and a few prototypes to get right. Most bodybuilders who are champions have designed bugger all. Larry Scott had a few ideas but they are simple benches. Who out there has a patent on anything new? I have originated many new ideas on gym equipment. Other companies have copied me here in Australia. One manufacturer gave me a free pec deck because he copied some of my designs. I was the first to use linear bearings in Smith Machines and I solved the problem of friction on those machines. Now everyone uses linear bearings.

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
Anyone who can find that I copied other equipment can remove that piece from my gym. How about that? Designing equipment takes a lot of time and a few prototypes to get right. Most bodybuilders who are champions have designed bugger all. Larry Scott had a few ideas but they are simple benches. Who out there has a patent on anything new? I have originated many new ideas on gym equipment. Other companies have copied me here in Australia. One manufacturer gave me a free pec deck because he copied some of my designs. I was the first to use linear bearings in Smith Machines and I solved the problem of friction on those machines. Now everyone uses linear bearings.

Most people go in gyms to train Vince not start welding shit togeather.
Trans Milkshake.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
Basile, you're way too dependent on machines for exercise and fitness while I can train people with little to no equipment at all.  Not only that, its always the same thing with you in regards to hypertrophy and your "hand built equipment" and it gets redundant.

As far as that piece of equipment, it looks cheap and poorly crafted and quite frankly, I hate Smith Machines.  Free weights are the only way to build proper muscle and using a cage rack system allows you the freedom of movement and safety.

Goodrum obviously missed the putdowns that Keith used to give him. Most were deserved, too. For a total tool who trains on Pilates machines at home you have a nerve to bag my equipment. It is far from cheap. I use expensive components like stainless steel and Thompson Linear Bearings. The shafts are induction hardened and chrome plated so last and don't rust. The Smith machine I posted is probably the most expensive ever made. The footrest would cost over $1000 because it is solid stainless steel.

Free weights have a place in gyms but I seldom use them except for squats. Squats are not a very good exercise, either. Too much pressure on the spine. I build safety into all my machines. You can't drop the bars on your neck because I have safety rails. Same thing on the Smith machine.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2011, 05:37:39 PM »

Most people go in gyms to train Vince not start welding shit togeather.

Where do all these dense people come from? Look Jaime, just sit there in front of your computer and get a piece of paper and pencil and design something new. You don't have to build it. When you have come up with a new design post it here to demonstrate your ability to create something new.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »
Goodrum obviously missed the putdowns that Keith used to give him. Most were deserved, too. For a total tool who trains on Pilates machines at home you have a nerve to bag my equipment. It is far from cheap. I use expensive components like stainless steel and Thompson Linear Bearings. The shafts are induction hardened and chrome plated so last and don't rust. The Smith machine I posted is probably the most expensive ever made. The footrest would cost over $1000 because it is solid stainless steel.

Free weights have a place in gyms but I seldom use them except for squats. Squats are not a very good exercise, either. Too much pressure on the spine. I build safety into all my machines. You can't drop the bars on your neck because I have safety rails. Same thing on the Smith machine.

Its still a piece of crap because its a glorified Smith Machine.  And quite frankly, I sell commercial smith machines that are more durable and much less expensive.  Regardless of angle, any exercise on it will be restrictive in movement.  

As as far as too much stress on your spine....if you're too big of a wuss to do one of the most easiest exercises out there then you should take up salsa or shuffleboard and stay out of the gym
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »
I'm not sure what thread you are reading but this one is mostly about the pros and cons of machines and free weights, which seems to be your desired topic.  Just because most of the posters are disagreeing with your contention that "the angled Smith Machine allows users to duplicate the path used in squats" doesn't mean they are dumb (they are correct) and that the posts are "rubbish".  You are the one flying off the handle every time someone disagrees with you.

Nope, armchair critics are wrong. Go to a gym and try the angled Smith machine and see for yourself. Pick a time when no muscleheads are there because you don't want to lose face by being seen using machines.  I am not flying off the handle. However, the ignorance of most here is remarkable.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2011, 05:44:43 PM »

Its still a piece of crap because its a glorified Smith Machine.  And quite frankly, I sell commercial smith machines that are more durable and much less expensive.  Regardless of angle, any exercise on it will be restrictive in movement.  

LOL. You are a joke, Goodrum. Nobody here would buy anything from you even in a fire sale. My machines endure and endure because of quality components. They will be around long after I am gone.

The angle makes all the difference in movements like squats. I was thinking about making one of my Smith machines with a variable angle but I don't think it is necessary. You obviously haven't tried one of these machines or you wouldn't be making such false statements. Return those diplomas you have because they mislead people.

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »
Where do all these dense people come from? Look Jaime, just sit there in front of your computer and get a piece of paper and pencil and design something new. You don't have to build it. When you have come up with a new design post it here to demonstrate your ability to create something new.

I really have no interest in designing gym equipment Vince, i don't see it as a particularly creative endeavour in any event.

If i want to do something creative i will paint or write, or a million other things that i would percieve as being of value.

Free weights are all that is needed in a gym, everything else is trivial.
Trans Milkshake.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2011, 05:47:17 PM »
vince you ever see or think of designing a weighted push up machine or a bench machine where you faced down?

LOL know it sounds crazy but i think push ups are alot safer for the shoulders and actually can help shoulder injuries and i feel that they also allow for more focus on the pecs.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
The lads want a seated dip machine before I would even contemplate anything else. I have an idea for a better triceps machine. The best seated one I have used is the MedX machine where a shoulder restraint restricts body movement during the exercise. The trouble with that unit was the hand grip. It wasn't suitable for the movement. At least the MedX triceps machine tries to provide sufficient resistance near the completion of the movement where it is needed. Arthur Jones did well with that unit. I could improve the handle had I one to work on but they are expensive here in Australia. I have modified a few Nautilus machines and what a pain that was. At least I made two Duo Squat machines safer. Muscleheads seldom use them. The best thing I did at my gym was install a separate free weights room to house the muscleheads. It leaves the main equipment area relatively quiet now. The combination of dumbbells clanging and loud music gives me a headache.