Author Topic: The Mature thread  (Read 241471 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: mature Bodybuilding thread
« Reply #7400 on: July 01, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »
Are you using soy protein? I have been thinking about trying it. I hear good things and some bad. Some things I read is that it increases estrogen and other things I read says that's a myth and no studies exist to back that up. They say whey isolate is lactose free but my stomach says that's a lie.  They can claim anything because there is no agency checking supplements.

This has no soy in it. Pea protein is the first ingredient. There are several other vegetable derived proteins as well as protein from brown rice. It's expensive. I bought it at Costco for just under $30. for 1 lb. 11 oz. There are approximately 26 servings per container, so a little over $1. a serving. I've had no gassiness from it, like sometimes happens with Whey based protein products. It is also gluten free. Each serving equals two servings of leafy vegetables. There is another brand available at a nearby market that has additional fiber. My guess is that it is even more expensive than this.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7401 on: July 01, 2015, 08:03:49 PM »
back attack

chins 2x wide 2x inner ..
tbar row chest to pad standing version 2 plates 2 sets 2.5 plates
low cable rows 165/189/195
front pulldowns hammer reverse under grip x3 2plates side
cable one arm upper row pulls ,'like doing one arm rows of rack'but using cable x3

weighted hypers 45 lb plate x15 reps

traps
225/275/295/295-225 drop
2 sets 45 lb plate ea hand towards rear a bit shrug 20 reps

calves 5 sets calf raises no drops this time 180/200/220/240/240-200drop

abs 6 sets crunch machine lying

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7402 on: July 02, 2015, 06:52:12 AM »
back attack

chins 2x wide 2x inner ..
tbar row chest to pad standing version 2 plates 2 sets 2.5 plates
low cable rows 165/189/195
front pulldowns hammer reverse under grip x3 2plates side
cable one arm upper row pulls ,'like doing one arm rows of rack'but using cable x3

weighted hypers 45 lb plate x15 reps

traps
225/275/295/295-225 drop
2 sets 45 lb plate ea hand towards rear a bit shrug 20 reps

calves 5 sets calf raises no drops this time 180/200/220/240/240-200drop

abs 6 sets crunch machine lying

I am jealous... miss my workouts... :(

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #7403 on: July 02, 2015, 07:27:59 AM »
I am jealous... miss my workouts... :(

Worry not, brother!  Soon  you'll be back at it.  Hopefully not relegated to sets of 30 to 50 reps with five pounds (like me)!  But in all honesty, even that is a start and as such it is good.

;D

I have found that what separates us from the others is... us!  We  made the choice to be as fit as we can be throughout our life.   Be well, my friends.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7404 on: July 02, 2015, 08:01:01 AM »
Worry not, brother!  Soon  you'll be back at it.  Hopefully not relegated to sets of 30 to 50 reps with five pounds (like me)!  But in all honesty, even that is a start and as such it is good.

;D

I have found that what separates us from the others is... us!  We  made the choice to be as fit as we can be throughout our life.   Be well, my friends.
words of wisdom Scotty... ;D "Iīll be Back"... ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7405 on: July 02, 2015, 08:18:11 AM »
itīs warm today... Saturday is warmer or so they say... I would die in some parts of the US.. :-[

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7406 on: July 02, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »
itīs warm today... Saturday is warmer or so they say... I would die in some parts of the US.. :-[

Like where I live. It normally is in the high 24's or low 28's with occasional rain. This spring and summer has been really hot, like close to 38 degrees Celsius on several days and there has been no rain. Sure glad I had air-conditioning installed last summer. It's a cool 23 degrees Celsius inside. Unfortunately, there is more yard work which beckons me outside in to the heat.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7407 on: July 02, 2015, 07:33:54 PM »
delts

hammer press did single arm at a time,,,x4
front press x3
cable lateralsx3
uprights premade curlbar x3
bent over cable rear laterals x4

bis
curls x4
db single arm curls 6 reps bottom to mid 6 reps full reps done together
seated curl machine one arm at a time x3
hammers x2

forearms

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7408 on: July 03, 2015, 06:18:37 AM »
Anyone work on their feet all day? I'm retired but I took a job in a huge library. They are having trouble with the homeless and a large group of heroin addicts that like to hang out in the library. Can you believe in a library there was a bloody assault in one of the bathrooms?  I'm beginning to regret my decision to take the job. The other guards seem straight out of the hood and completely unprofessional. 

My foot was slightly swollen from running after my weight workout a couple of days ago. Now after the first day on this job I can hardly walk on it. This job has me on my feet for 8 hours constantly making loops of the huge two story place with no opportunity to sit down. I know it doesn't sound taxing but I bet I walked over 10 miles.  My foot was so swollen when I came home I could hardly walk on it.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7409 on: July 03, 2015, 06:55:46 AM »
Anyone work on their feet all day? I'm retired but I took a job in a huge library. They are having trouble with the homeless and a large group of heroin addicts that like to hang out in the library. Can you believe in a library there was a bloody assault in one of the bathrooms?  I'm beginning to regret my decision to take the job. The other guards seem straight out of the hood and completely unprofessional. 

My foot was slightly swollen from running after my weight workout a couple of days ago. Now after the first day on this job I can hardly walk on it. This job has me on my feet for 8 hours constantly making loops of the huge two story place with no opportunity to sit down. I know it doesn't sound taxing but I bet I walked over 10 miles.  My foot was so swollen when I came home I could hardly walk on it.
work at service desk 10 hours ,but i'm up and around shop/parts area,or outside saving some customer lol from there car god forbid dosen't have radio stations or phone paired into vehicle working..by my posting of workouts and having 3 children 9-2 yrs old you can tell i'm full of crazy and never low energy ever...i'm blessed so far at 46 to be same as i was in 20/30's...i know your older ritch a little and said just recently you feel it ,so i don't i could change at 50 ,i hope not...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7410 on: July 03, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
work at service desk 10 hours ,but i'm up and around shop/parts area,or outside saving some customer lol from there car god forbid dosen't have radio stations or phone paired into vehicle working..by my posting of workouts and having 3 children 9-2 yrs old you can tell i'm full of crazy and never low energy ever...i'm blessed so far at 46 to be same as i was in 20/30's...i know your older ritch a little and said just recently you feel it ,so i don't i could change at 50 ,i hope not...

I hear what you're saying. It's tough. When I was your age I was in fantastic shape. I have 4 kids and worked 10 hour days. I  often had to commute over 100 miles before I retired driving to begin my day. So it was a long day. Can't count how many times I reported for work at 11Pm and had to work 16 hours and drive home in a stupor. I'm not playing can you top this but I am saying I know it's tough.

There is a big difference between 46 and 56. I'm sure n 10 years I will be a lot harder at 66. No one wins the aging game. I know when I was in high school I use to think it was pathetic that someone couldn't run a sub 6 minute mile. I felt it was the minimum shape you should be in.  I actually had the immaturity to say to the aging coach who ran with us, " age is no excuse."  Damn right it's an excuse. I'm talking outside of drug users it's really rare to find anyone over 55 that is in shape. I know runners in their 30 like to point out the 60 year old who runs fast times as proof it will be them too. I got news for them. It' damn rare thing and the odds are against it.

The hardest part about aging is that the mind is willing. The body through injuries and a lack of adaptation is the problem. If the stars are in alignment and we meet down the shore maybe we can workout together. I think you will find that in both the weight room and running miles I'm not a slouch.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7411 on: July 03, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »

Maybe this isn't the job for you. Unfortunately, a lot of jobs in the service industry require much walking. If it makes you feel any better, I don't think I could handle all that walking either. The only thing I can think of to suggest is that you look into different shoes and don't wear the same shoes everyday.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7412 on: July 04, 2015, 12:57:46 AM »
Next May iīll be the big 50.. do i care ? not really. I think as long as you keep moving all your life youīll remain in shape. I canīt do much training at the moment but iīm going now swimming with the Family. Itīs 09.55 here and not too hot yet. See what i can do, even if i just swim on my back and do some lengths better that nothing :D ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7413 on: July 04, 2015, 07:29:09 AM »
never too old to train... while i would never recommend holding a plate old school style behind your neck as in the video(made my neck hurt ;D).. he is keeping in shape.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7414 on: July 04, 2015, 11:18:18 AM »
Next May iīll be the big 50.. do i care ? not really. I think as long as you keep moving all your life youīll remain in shape. I canīt do much training at the moment but iīm going now swimming with the Family. Itīs 09.55 here and not too hot yet. See what i can do, even if i just swim on my back and do some lengths better that nothing :D ;)

Usually swimming is a great exercise when other's aren't practical. Depending on the stroke, you may involve you neck. Seems like you should avoid those strokes. Freestyle uses the neck the most as you turn from side to side. In the breast stroke you bend your head back, while in the back stroke you bend it forward. Maybe the side stroke is a good choice, plus it is a relaxing position to swim in.

What is going on with all this heat? I don't usually jump on the global warming bandwagon, but here in Oregon we've broken any record for an extended heat wave. According to the news, even the ocean is down. Detroit lake is 60 feet down. No water is spilling over the dam which means that those fish headed out to the ocean, can't get there. This will certainly mess with the salmon runs next year.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7415 on: July 04, 2015, 11:24:22 AM »
never too old to train... while i would never recommend holding a plate old school style behind your neck as in the video(made my neck hurt ;D).. he is keeping in shape.

I've used a 25 lb. plate behind my head when doing back raises with no difficulty. Not sure I would do this the way the fellow in the video is. When doing sit-ups, whether hanging or using the normal position of being on your back one's neck is already compromised. For weighted sit-ups or crunches, I'll stick to using the Nautilus ab machine.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7416 on: July 04, 2015, 01:16:37 PM »
I've used a 25 lb. plate behind my head when doing back raises with no difficulty. Not sure I would do this the way the fellow in the video is. When doing sit-ups, whether hanging or using the normal position of being on your back one's neck is already compromised. For weighted sit-ups or crunches, I'll stick to using the Nautilus ab machine.
I am a bit sensitive now i suppose to neck injuries. Do a crunch thinking an apple is under your chin..  best advice from jay..machine crunch.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7417 on: July 04, 2015, 02:20:52 PM »
Watching that guy punch on the youtube.  The film is definitely sped up.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7418 on: July 05, 2015, 06:34:16 AM »
Dragged out my old style chest expanders ;D and pulled on them and did some light Incline flys.. still very weak in my right arm. I think tomorrow i will do a full body workout with bands,expanders and Dumbbells see how it goes. Man i am frying in this heat...mmm i will get an Ice Lolly out the Fridge... ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7419 on: July 05, 2015, 06:37:47 AM »
Watching that guy punch on the youtube.  The film is definitely sped up.
no doubt still fit for his age.. watched another of his videos, was into Martial arts so been active for his whole life.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7420 on: July 05, 2015, 02:07:40 PM »
Trained back and chest. Just winged it. No warm ups listed.

Pull ups 3 x max
Low cable rows 3 x 12
Single dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10
Hammer strength pull down machine 2 x 10

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8
Hammer strength incline 2 x 6
Flat dumbbell flies 2 x 10
Hammer strength bench 2 x 6

Dead lifts 2 x 4 then 1x1 (Using light weights because of my foot injury never went over 325lbs.
Weight back extensions  1 x 15 (the bench they have is just designed poorly. Going to use the one I own in my basement after going to the gym)

Ab coaster 2 x 20 using 20lbs (If you never see this machine look it up. It's one of the best ab workouts I have ever used. This gym has the commercial model)

As I'm walking out of the gym I grabbed a dipping belt and and ten pound plate and maxed out for one set of deep dips.

Floated in my pool when I got home. Swollen foot feels a little better with the anti inflammatory drugs I'm taking. A good side effect is that my shoulder feel much better too.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7421 on: July 06, 2015, 05:54:02 AM »
HAD GREAT 4TH OF JULY AND WENT OVER TO WIFES FRIENDS HOUSE FOR BARBECUE YESTERDAY..POOL/SUN/GOOD FOOD ITALIAN/SPANISH HOMEADE..GIRLS GOT TIPSY...I THREW KIDS AROUND IN POOL..

LEG WORKOUT SATURDAY WAS BACK TO NORMAL AT GYM  :D

LEG PRESS...4/5/6/7/7/7 PLATES SETS
V SQUAT I FINALLY GOT AROUND TO DOING IT FACING IN LIKE A FRONT SQUAT,YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL GETTING FEET POSITIONED SO UR KNEES DON'T GET TWEAKED,1ST TIME I DID THEM STILL WORKED UP TO 3.5 PLATES A SIDE AND REPS 10
LUNGES WALKING KETTLEBELLS 45'S X2
EXTENSIONS 220/235/235

HAMS
SLDL 135/185/225/245
LYING LEG CURLS 140/150/155

CALVES SEATED CALF RAISES X5

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7422 on: July 06, 2015, 06:19:11 AM »
Great workouts Dudes... :D I went for a run last Night in the woods.. as i was half way round my run it started raining hard with thunder and lightning... got piss wet through and was covered in mud and leaves when i got back home ;D I did enjoy it though was nice and cool. I will go again later Today about 5pm.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #7423 on: July 06, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »
Great workouts Dudes... :D I went for a run last Night in the woods.. as i was half way round my run it started raining hard with thunder and lightning... got piss wet through and was covered in mud and leaves when i got back home ;D I did enjoy it though was nice and cool. I will go again later Today about 5pm.

Send some of that rain my way. I tired of watering every other day.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7424 on: July 07, 2015, 01:12:24 AM »
Send some of that rain my way. I tired of watering every other day.
itīs hot again today... still going to go running every evening. Been just doing leg curls/extensions on my Bench at home for legs. Donīt think iīll risk squats yet... Cycling is not good because of my head position when cycling as you tend to look forwards.. still at least i am doing a few exercises.