Author Topic: Magoo: The Quest for a 405 bench  (Read 108179 times)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
Re: Magoo goes back to the grind. time to slim down a bit.
« Reply #600 on: August 13, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »
Magoo's thread is getting more daily hits and posts than the G&O these days ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #601 on: August 13, 2008, 03:34:32 PM »
there was a Samoan dude at my old gym who routinely benched 5 plates a side for 5 reps with no wraps, belt, etc., nothing but a t shirt and EVEN HE struggled more with 315 than he did 225, for ANYONE to say there's no noticeable difference between 225 and 315 is laughable.

you're not paying attention. it's a matter of how it feels. if i had a nickel for how many times i put 275 on, did three reps and said "fuck i'm gonna get buried by three plates", only to bang out 315 for a single so fast it was like air i'd be able to buy another tub of AtLarge Results and have enough left over for a beer. if you're acting like wicked or i were claiming we're able to move 315 as easily as 225 then you're either retarded or just being contrary to make it seem like you know something.

no shit 315 isn't actually easier than 225, that's physics. it's more weight, it's heavier. however, i love that somehow your gym always has "a samoan dude" or "an old powerlifter" than can just reinforce whatever you're claiming. that's kinda cute. ::)

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #602 on: August 13, 2008, 04:13:24 PM »
you're not paying attention. it's a matter of how it feels. if i had a nickel for how many times i put 275 on, did three reps and said "fuck i'm gonna get buried by three plates", only to bang out 315 for a single so fast it was like air i'd be able to buy another tub of AtLarge Results and have enough left over for a beer. if you're acting like wicked or i were claiming we're able to move 315 as easily as 225 then you're either retarded or just being contrary to make it seem like you know something.

no shit 315 isn't actually easier than 225, that's physics. it's more weight, it's heavier. however, i love that somehow your gym always has "a samoan dude" or "an old powerlifter" than can just reinforce whatever you're claiming. that's kinda cute. ::)
no Magoo, you're the only one who trains, you're the only one who's seen strong guys and trained in gyms with strong guys, so go ahead with your massive 315 slow as shit benches, 455 pound deadlifts for 3 and 405 for a single above parallel squats that look like they're going to kill you, you're an absolute beast. ::)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #603 on: August 13, 2008, 04:35:10 PM »
no Magoo, you're the only one who trains, you're the only one who's seen strong guys and trained in gyms with strong guys, so go ahead with your massive 315 slow as shit benches, 455 pound deadlifts for 3 and 405 for a single above parallel squats that look like they're going to kill you, you're an absolute beast. ::)

at least i've proven my claims. where's a video of your 545x6 "below parallel" squat, dave? the 385 bench? the 545 deadlift? the 405 zercher?

you've spent years making claims but never proven a single thing. it's ironic since almost all of your posts are calling people out or mocking them, and you're the biggest bullshitter of all.

no, seriously, prove me wrong. hell, post a picture of your gym membership card. prove you even go to a gym. put up a video of ONE of those lifts you've claimed. i will 100% say "dave mirza made me his bitch" and run into hiding, never again to talk about my minuscule accomplishments.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #604 on: August 13, 2008, 04:40:48 PM »
at least i've proven my claims. where's a video of your 545x6 "below parallel" squat, dave? the 385 bench? the 545 deadlift? the 405 zercher?

you've spent years making claims but never proven a single thing. it's ironic since almost all of your posts are calling people out or mocking them, and you're the biggest bullshitter of all.

no, seriously, prove me wrong. hell, post a picture of your gym membership card. prove you even go to a gym. put up a video of ONE of those lifts you've claimed. i will 100% say "dave mirza made me his bitch" and run into hiding, never again to talk about my minuscule accomplishments.
hahahahaha, epic meltdown having to use my name in your post, only someone desperate resorts to using an anonymous internet users name on a board, i've never claimed a 545 squat for 6 below parallel or a 405 zercher, show me one post where i did. ::)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #605 on: August 13, 2008, 07:08:56 PM »

I believe this was the meltdown. ::)

Ya cant tear someone down without video eveidence of your own claims. I gotta respect someone who tries as hard as Magoo.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #606 on: August 13, 2008, 09:31:37 PM »
who gives a shit what numbers people put up, how it feels, etc..

we're all just here to learn and better our lifting..

WHY CAN'T YOU FUCKERS JUST GET ALONG!  >:( ;D ;D ;D

i'm going to go drink a gallon of chocolate milk and cry myself to sleep now.

i don't know what it is but 225 and 315 both feel heavy as fuck to me when i do triples with them. The moment I get to certain weights it just seems that they all feel the same.. HEAVY!

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #607 on: August 13, 2008, 09:44:31 PM »
i'm going to go drink a gallon of chocolate milk and cry myself to sleep now.

i

Now you're speakin' my language, boss ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #608 on: August 13, 2008, 09:45:30 PM »
Now you're speakin' my language, boss ;D

dude i fucking love me some chocolate milk..i'm going to start mixing my maximus in wiht chocolate milk when i go back to the store!

THAT'LL PACK ON TEH WEIGHT!

p.s....fishoil gives you the stinkingest farts EVER!

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #609 on: August 13, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »
dude i fucking love me some chocolate milk..i'm going to start mixing my maximus in wiht chocolate milk when i go back to the store!

THAT'LL PACK ON TEH WEIGHT!

p.s....fishoil gives you the stinkingest farts EVER!

I haven't really touched the stuff much since I started dieting, just some here and there to keep me happy, but man I swear whole chocolate milk is the nectar of the gods.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #610 on: August 13, 2008, 09:55:50 PM »
I haven't really touched the stuff much since I started dieting, just some here and there to keep me happy, but man I swear whole chocolate milk is the nectar of the gods.

when you're looking for 25 cals per lb of bodyweight to put on some size and serious strength..a gallon of it a day is the ticket! I can't take plain milk that way..but i can drink chocolate all day long! and now i'm getting that itch HAHA

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #611 on: August 13, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »
when you're looking for 25 cals per lb of bodyweight to put on some size and serious strength..a gallon of it a day is the ticket! I can't take plain milk that way..but i can drink chocolate all day long! and now i'm getting that itch HAHA

Yup.  For close to a decade I downed on average about a gallon a day, and only stopped that recently because I'm trying to drop some excess baggage.  1% isn't the best tasting, but I've stuck mostly with it because of the lower satty fat content.  But when it comes to chocolate milk, only whole milk does the trick for me.  Everything else tastes just plain nasty.

BTW, if you want a great dessert, partially freeze whole choc milk, just enough to freeze some of the water in it.  It tastes like a Wendy's Frosty :P

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #612 on: August 13, 2008, 10:04:10 PM »
i get the idea that we're all abunch of chocolate whores..but then again you can't get up in the mid to high 200's without being one HAHA!

*hint hint@ magoo and his shitty 365 bench*  :-\ ;) ;D  lmao jk buddy..i'd have been crushed under 365 at your bodyweight if i attempted it.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #613 on: August 13, 2008, 10:08:23 PM »

*hint hint@ magoo and his shitty 365 bench*  :-\ ;) ;D  lmao jk buddy..i'd have been crushed under 365 at your bodyweight if i attempted it.

Like I've said before, Magoo's just a kid and has lots of years of fruitful lifting ahead of him, provided he can stave off the injuries.  Shit if I would have known that by my early 30s my body would be a wreck, I would have lifted a bit lighter and taken it easier back at his age.  Then again, what's the fun in that? ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #614 on: August 13, 2008, 10:09:57 PM »
Like I've said before, Magoo's just a kid and has lots of years of fruitful lifting ahead of him, provided he can stave off the injuries.  Shit if I would have known that by my early 30s my body would be a wreck, I would have lifted a bit lighter and taken it easier back at his age.  Then again, what's the fun in that? ;D

haha you sound like me.. i've been in the ditch twice now at age 24... god knows where i'll be at 30.  hopefully over 700 and over 500 in pulling and benchign  ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #615 on: August 14, 2008, 08:28:12 AM »
i just need to learn to take my own advice. i know damn well that hitting singles all the time is stupid, yet somehow i keep thinking it'll work this time, i'll be able to hit deadlift PRs week after week. ::)

so for a few weeks i'll hold back on going ultra heavy until i hit a weight i like, then it's time to go nuts.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #616 on: August 14, 2008, 11:21:23 AM »
Maybe this anology works...

I can throw a basball as far as a tennis ball despite the baseball being much heavier.

Of course if i had to throw a tennis ball 50yards 10 times and the tennis ball 10 times i could do the tennis ball much easier. Probaly fail before i got 10 with a basball despite being able to throw both as far for one.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #617 on: August 14, 2008, 11:33:17 AM »
pretty good analogy, goudy. personally i think it's all mental. with the heavier weight, your body and mind are primed for it, so you're really focused. greater concentration -> more recruitment -> easier lift. obviously falls apart with greater reps, but we're not talking like that.

THURSDAY

box squats: same bench from the bands video
135x5
225x5
315x3
405x3
405x2 - concentration was off.

deadlifts: touch and go, just to go for some reps.
135x6
225x6
315x6
405x6 - yeah. i was surprised too. see the notes.

DB split squats:
50x10/10
50x10/10
50x10/10

abs

weight: 215

notes: okay, so. what happened? how'd i rip out a 405x6 touch and go pull after squatting? aside from getting more sleep, i think what happened was a minor, minor form change. i caught a video online of a dude pulling conventional with his toes pointed out a bit more than you normally see. i made that small shift, and suddenly sitting back on my heels was a breeze and bam. quick reps. hopefully as i put on some pounds. i won't be maxing on monday (i plan on doing speed work), but the next time i do i've got a feeling that'll make a big difference.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #618 on: August 15, 2008, 11:53:32 AM »
meh

FRIDAY

bench: close-ish grip. pinkies on rings
135x5
225x5
325x4 - not bad
335x1 - paused, quickie
275x6 - also paused

DB floor presses:
80x10
100x8
110x6

DB rows:
120x20/20
120x15/15

chins:

some random ab and shoulder stuff, nothing heavy

weight: 215.5

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #619 on: August 15, 2008, 03:22:34 PM »
Nice work, Magoo. Looking at some of your recent workouts says to me that you could use some rest. Not only that but a change of routine. You have done a great job of keeping in the gym and dieting and all but give yourself some rest.

"Nobody ever got big in a gym." You get bigger and stronger by recovering.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #620 on: August 15, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »
3-5 weeks heavy
1-2 weeks light

some people can play it by ear. you cant (alot of people just dont know when to back off, i used to be the same), so do the 3-5 weeks heavy, 1-2 weeks light thing. (regardless if your feeling fresh after 3-5 weeks of heavy lifting)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #621 on: August 15, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »
like i said, starting monday all sets will aim for 6 reps, ideally 8. it's going to be a kick in the ego, but it's probably a good idea. so no pulls over 405, benches over 295, squats over 365, etc. and even if the sets get easier, i don't anticipate going up in weight. better to hit 8 with one in the tank than grind out 6 at this stage.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #622 on: August 15, 2008, 05:18:38 PM »
like i said, starting monday all sets will aim for 6 reps, ideally 8. it's going to be a kick in the ego, but it's probably a good idea. so no pulls over 405, benches over 295, squats over 365, etc. and even if the sets get easier, i don't anticipate going up in weight. better to hit 8 with one in the tank than grind out 6 at this stage.

It is always better to have one in the tank...as easy as possible for as long as possible

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #623 on: August 18, 2008, 09:07:12 AM »
3-5 weeks heavy
1-2 weeks light

some people can play it by ear. you cant (alot of people just dont know when to back off, i used to be the same), so do the 3-5 weeks heavy, 1-2 weeks light thing. (regardless if your feeling fresh after 3-5 weeks of heavy lifting)

Periodization. :)

8)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #624 on: August 18, 2008, 12:34:19 PM »
Even simple periodisation works wonders

When i never had a clue i done a version of it wthout realising. Only in hinsight i realised the value of it