Author Topic: The Death of Sandra Bland  (Read 24637 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: The Death of Sandra Bland
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2015, 06:00:38 AM »
100% agree but his actions after she wouldn't put the cig out are disturbing. He should be FIRED
If he was going to arrest her for failing to comply with a lawful order, he needed to wait for back up.
You have two people---one trying to assert authority and another who is agitated by being stopped. The incident wasn't going to go well when he asked her to stop smoking...it fell apart after that.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2015, 06:01:57 AM »
That's just dumb. If she would have complied,  she could have gone home and hung herself.

Exactly, and the police would not be in so much shit.   Never bring in people you don't have to and he didn't have to.....
A

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2015, 06:19:33 AM »
The midget cop was very quick to put someone in a cage for nickel and dime sh!t.

Now, his midget ass won't be pulling anyone over and will be worried about being put in a cage himself.

Karma's a bitch.

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2015, 06:52:23 AM »
If he was going to arrest her for failing to comply with a lawful order, he needed to wait for back up.
You have two people---one trying to assert authority and another who is agitated by being stopped. The incident wasn't going to go well when he asked her to stop smoking...it fell apart after that.

I didn't really hear her say anything until the cop asked her what was wrong. Makes me feel more so that he was further out of line and should not be a cop.

We all have had a cop come up on us fast and pulled over to the other lane to let them pass, but in this case she forgot to put on her signal light to get out of his way and gets pulled over, harrassed by the police, and dies. Fucked up to say the least.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »
While I agree the cop was being a dick, the fact is this unstable woman killed herself. Anyone blaming the cop is delusional, as she was a time bomb and would've done it anyway. Probably thought she'd be seen as some sort of martyr.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2015, 09:25:26 AM »
Welcome to America...land of prisons and self righteous cops who will put u in jail for annoying them

Taxpayer $ wasted and an Americans citizens rights trampled upon over a fucking turn signal.

Too many ego driven macho dudes want to be cops so they can exert THEIR authority, which often times does not coincide with the actual law.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2015, 09:28:24 AM »
Because he's a cop and feels the need to exert his "power."

THIS.   The cop gains more power and throws her off game by removing her stress-mgmt tool (cigs) during a very stressful time (being pulled over). 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2015, 09:31:47 AM »
She signed a paper saying she had attempted suicide before...

and the police broke protocol and didn't do the things like apron, 15 minute checks, etc?

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »
THIS.   The cop gains more power and throws her off game by removing her stress-mgmt tool (cigs) during a very stressful time (being pulled over). 

There was no reason to have her get out of the car to begin with.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2015, 10:20:22 AM »
There was no reason to have her get out of the car to begin with.

Agree. All she did was fail to signal.  Inside the car she wasn't breaking the law.  She had her belt on, had a valid license, had insurance.  There was no evidence she was hiding anything.  Absolutely no reason to ask her to get out of the car.  The fact a cop can just arrest you if you don't listen to their bullshit requests is an abuse of power.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2015, 10:55:40 AM »
Agree. All she did was fail to signal.  Inside the car she wasn't breaking the law.  She had her belt on, had a valid license, had insurance.  There was no evidence she was hiding anything.  Absolutely no reason to ask her to get out of the car.  The fact a cop can just arrest you if you don't listen to their bullshit requests is an abuse of power.

That's why I described my encounter with a MA lieutenant on page two. Yes sir no sir and be on your way. The cop I was dealing with was so stressed I think he just would have shot me.

Not worth hassle and she was just getting a warning.  I got a $300 dollar speeding ticket.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2015, 11:17:29 AM »
While I agree the cop was being a dick, the fact is this unstable woman killed herself. Anyone blaming the cop is delusional, as she was a time bomb and would've done it anyway. Probably thought she'd be seen as some sort of martyr.

Hulk-smash!

• Getbig IV
  • All the muscle in the world!
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2015, 12:06:58 PM »
Officer should have given the warning ticket and left rather than try to make her put out her cigarette which was something she didn't have to comply with.  Very bad arrest.  Even worse was that she was held for 3 days....should have been booked and let go if you're going to do that.  Police Supervisor should have reviewed the arrest.

The officer has been pulled off duty and he'll likely be terminated or will resign

Jeez F up a good career w/ a seemingly great agency over a freakin' traffic stop that didn't amount to spit! ::) ???
I

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2015, 12:12:10 PM »
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
I do agree with this. In the end, she did herself in, but just for a side discussion, why does she have to stop smoking because she got pulled over?

I wasn't there and I haven't talked to the officer involved but here is a possible train of thought.. Cops are taught many things can be hazardous to  their health. In any street detention, and a traffic stop is a detention,  it is standard procedure to have people drop their cigarettes. They can be used as a distraction ploy prior to an attack. In this particular case it is possible he was thinking "Hell, she's pissed off, belligerent, obviously agitated and she's holding a lit cigarette in her right hand.. I have to pass her this ticket book in order to complete this contact and she could easily burn my hand with it. So to be safe.. I'll have her put it out. "
If I got a complaint from a citizen about a rude officer making them put their cigarette out, and I reviewed the video and saw this, and the officer explained to me his concern.. I can't imagine saying to this officer "Officer Smith.. in the future, anytime you are dealing with a belligerent citizen you will NOT ask them to put out their cigarette even if you feel it puts you at any risk"

Just another perspective..

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2015, 12:14:20 PM »
She signed a paper saying she had attempted suicide before...

and the police broke protocol and didn't do the things like apron, 15 minute checks, etc?

Link to the paper?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2015, 12:23:06 PM »
Found the booking sheet.. says She attempted  suicide before, she killed her baby by taking pills..

Asked if the arresting officer or any other person thinks she's at risk the answer is "no"

asked if she had thoughts of killing herself in the last year, she said "no"

Are you thinking of killing yourself today.. she said "no"

Does the individual seem confused, pre Occupied, hopeless, sad.. "no"

Are you currently under care of MHMR (Mental Health)  "no"

Haven't read their protocol but ours wouldn't require a suicide watch or special care for a past suicide attempt. It's what is going on in the very recent past and present that most places go by. So again, I would have to see their SOP's to see if they actually broke any rules.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2015, 12:24:47 PM »
100% agree but his actions after she wouldn't put the cig out are disturbing. He should be FIRED
If I am not correct. I believe he was fired or released from another agency. I believe it was due to racism. Correct me if I am wrong.
I didn't really hear her say anything until the cop asked her what was wrong. Makes me feel more so that he was further out of line and should not be a cop.

We all have had a cop come up on us fast and pulled over to the other lane to let them pass, but in this case she forgot to put on her signal light to get out of his way and gets pulled over, harrassed by the police, and dies. Fucked up to say the least.
If he asked her what was wrong, he sensed that she was agitated in some way. Then came the escalation of that.
I wasn't there and I haven't talked to the officer involved but here is a possible train of thought.. Cops are taught many things can be hazardous to  their health. In any street detention, and a traffic stop is a detention,  it is standard procedure to have people drop their cigarettes. They can be used as a distraction ploy prior to an attack. In this particular case it is possible he was thinking "Hell, she's pissed off, belligerent, obviously agitated and she's holding a lit cigarette in her right hand.. I have to pass her this ticket book in order to complete this contact and she could easily burn my hand with it. So to be safe.. I'll have her put it out. "
If I got a complaint from a citizen about a rude officer making them put their cigarette out, and I reviewed the video and saw this, and the officer explained to me his concern.. I can't imagine saying to this officer "Officer Smith.. in the future, anytime you are dealing with a belligerent citizen you will NOT ask them to put out their cigarette even if you feel it puts you at any risk"

Just another perspective..

interesting perspective. But, still I think he should have ignored the lit cigarette, gave her the warning and told her to have a nice day.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »
Agree. All she did was fail to signal.  Inside the car she wasn't breaking the law.  She had her belt on, had a valid license, had insurance.  There was no evidence she was hiding anything.  Absolutely no reason to ask her to get out of the car.  The fact a cop can just arrest you if you don't listen to their bullshit requests is an abuse of power.

cops do this kind os power-trip demands every day.  Most people just obey it.  I LIKE that she didn't listen to the 'put out the smoke', and I don't even smoke.  it's about liberty and rights.

Oddly, so many 'conservatives' are okay with police abusing the shit out of peoples' rights.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »
If I am not correct. I believe he was fired or released from another agency. I believe it was due to racism. Correct me if I am wrong.If he asked her what was wrong, he sensed that she was agitated in some way. Then came the escalation of that.interesting perspective. But, still I think he should have ignored the lit cigarette, gave her the warning and told her to have a nice day.

I don't know what he was seeing or what he was thinking.. if it was that the smoke was bothering him then yes, ignore the cigarette, finish the contact and be on your way. I never ask someone what's wrong unless I am ready to address the issue with them. 9 times out of 10 I can guess what's wrong.. ie they are getting a ticket and think they don't deserve it. You're just asking for an argument if you delve any deeper. If someone is ridiculously upset I might inquire as to why they are so upset.. and might make a quick attempt to address their issue but generally speaking.. it rarely helps. Sometimes, after they vent and if you remain cool and say "well I'm sorry you feel that way" they may calm down with the old "I'm just having a bad day.. sorry" but it rarely happens. Oddly enough it's been my experience the jerk  contacts are not the norm and the stops typically are cordial. If not, I certainly understand a certain amount of animosity, as no one enjoys getting a ticket but the out and out belligerent ones.. not fun at all.   

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2015, 12:34:43 PM »
cops do this kind os power-trip demands every day.  Most people just obey it.  I LIKE that she didn't listen to the 'put out the smoke', and I don't even smoke.  it's about liberty and rights.

Oddly, so many 'conservatives' are okay with police abusing the shit out of peoples' rights.

It's probably because what is abuse is debated betwinxt liberals and conservatives.. and what you think is abuse, may be reasonable given the situation.. If I stop you on the street at 3 am in a high crime area because you match the description of a auto burglar suspect, would you consider it abuse if I tell you to put out your cigarette while we talk?

How about if I ask you to sit on the curb?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2015, 11:05:49 PM »
 Other than showing a proper papers she is under no legal obligation to answer any questions   She should have politely declined

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2015, 06:59:32 AM »
In the days leading up to Sandra Bland's death, she wasn't eating and was emotional, a former jail mate said.

Alexandria Pyle , who was in a neighboring cell at the Waller County Jail in Texas, said Bland was upset because her bond was set at $5,000 and no one was returning her jailhouse calls.

"She wasn't eating and when I did talk to her, she was just crying and crying and all I could say was they could not hold you forever," Pyle said.
Citing preliminary autopsy results, the Waller County prosecutor told reporters that the cause of Bland's death was hanging and that she had committed suicide. There were no signs of a struggle.

Prosecutor Warren Diepraam said the early results offered "very overwhelming evidence," but stressed that the case is not closed.

"I feel comfortable that their findings are correct, but there's still a lot of information out there so we're not forming any conclusions at this point," he said. "Nothing is certain."

The results of the preliminary autopsy concur with how the sheriff's office described Bland's death.

Jail personnel found her not breathing and hanging from a trash bag on the morning of July 13. The sheriff's office said it "appears to be self-inflicted asphyxiation."

Waller County Sheriff R. Glenn Smith also weighed in. "There is absolutely no doubt in my mind (Bland committed suicide)," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/24/us/sandra-bland-arrest-death-main/index.html

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2015, 07:13:43 AM »
None of her friends or family would help bail her out so she killed herself and somehow it's the cops fault ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2015, 07:21:08 AM »
None of her friends or family would help bail her out so she killed herself and somehow it's the cops fault ???

In the near future, whenever a black person commits suicide, it will be the cop's fault.  Whenever a black person overdoses, it will be the cop's fault.  Whenever a black person gets hit by a train, it will be the cop's fault.  Bottom line, nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore.   :-\