Author Topic: New York Spankees well upon their way to being outta the post-season.  (Read 10794 times)

jmt1

• Getbig IV
Re: New York Spankees well upon their way to being outta the post-season.
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2006, 03:36:42 AM »
yes that was great...my red sox had a rough year but seeing the yanks get their ass kicked eases the pain a little.

body88

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2006, 05:25:01 AM »
             Hey Body88, the Yankees didn't have Sheffield or Matsui for most of the year, and Cano was out for a month during this too. And the Yankees were hanging with a then healthy Red Sox team, playing rookies like Melky Cabrera, Aaron Guile, and Andy Phillips. Plus Carl Pavano, who was suppossed to be their 5th starter, never threw a pitch in the majors this year, while Dotel, their best set-up guy, was only healthy a month.
             And other than Varitek, the Red Sox didn't really have many injuries until after the "Boston Massacre" 5 game sweep in August, when the Yankees took a 6 and a half game lead. Now I will admit that no Varitek is huge, not just in the lineup, but calling the game from behind the plate.
            You make a great point about pitching being what wins in the post-season, and that the Yankees did not have enough.
But you also said Jeter is considered sub par defensively at shortstop.     If not for all the bullshit theories of True Addonis in the last month, this would be the all time dumbest statement ever on GetBig !  You asked where was he in this series? He was 8 for 16, and Posada was 7 for 14. A-Rod, sheffield and Giambi were a combined 3 for like 33, but you cannot fault Jeter.
            Yeah the Yankees were embarrased this week, but at least they wer still playing baseball. The Red Sox finished 3rd in the division this year too, a game behind Toronto. So maybe you should get a clue!

Haha if you knew anything about baseball you would know Derek Jeter is considered to be a  average DEFENSIVE shortstop by most all in baseball. He is not even the best shortstop on the Yankees. Arod (before his struggles was much better) Jeter has very limited range and makes alot of errors. Since you think this statement is crazy you are obv a crazy new york fan. Not only that you think the only injuries the red sox had was "veritek" you obviously do not watch much of the red sox....

The injuries the Yankees had cant hold a candle to the Red Sox. So what those guys where out? You got Arod,jeter,Giambi,Posada,Damon and the rest of the 15 million plus "superstars" out there lol. You do not watch much baseball if you think the only injuries the sox had during the "massacere" was veritek. Tim Wakefield , Trot Nixon , John Lester, Kieth Folk, and Del carmen to name a FEW. The Red Sox where in first place most all the year until the injuries. Byt the time the end of the season was here they had pretty much there entire starting lineup out. Lets see how the chokees would have done with there entire starting lineup out. They cannot even get out of te first round with the so called "best lineup ever"  and 200 million bucks on the pay role hahahaha what a joke.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006, 05:35:40 AM »
             Hey Body88, the Yankees didn't have Sheffield or Matsui for most of the year, and Cano was out for a month during this too. And the Yankees were hanging with a then healthy Red Sox team, playing rookies like Melky Cabrera, Aaron Guile, and Andy Phillips. Plus Carl Pavano, who was suppossed to be their 5th starter, never threw a pitch in the majors this year, while Dotel, their best set-up guy, was only healthy a month.
             And other than Varitek, the Red Sox didn't really have many injuries until after the "Boston Massacre" 5 game sweep in August, when the Yankees took a 6 and a half game lead. Now I will admit that no Varitek is huge, not just in the lineup, but calling the game from behind the plate.
            You make a great point about pitching being what wins in the post-season, and that the Yankees did not have enough.
But you also said Jeter is considered sub par defensively at shortstop.     If not for all the bullshit theories of True Addonis in the last month, this would be the all time dumbest statement ever on GetBig !  You asked where was he in this series? He was 8 for 16, and Posada was 7 for 14. A-Rod, sheffield and Giambi were a combined 3 for like 33, but you cannot fault Jeter.
            Yeah the Yankees were embarrased this week, but at least they wer still playing baseball. The Red Sox finished 3rd in the division this year too, a game behind Toronto. So maybe you should get a clue!

I'm not going to defend the Red Sox because they were sliding before the injuries but to compare the injuries the Red Sox had to deal with to the injuries the New York Chokees had to deal with is asinine. The Red Sox lost nearly EVERYONE in the lineup at one point or another including Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz who is only the most clutch and most feared hitter in all of baseball. And when Manny is out of the lineup no one pitches to Ortiz, they just walk him. Also, the loss of Varitek to the pitching staff was such a huge blow that it's almost can't calculate how much influence he has. All you need to know is that Mirabelli became our everyday catcher.  ::)

Again, I am not making excuses just pointing the facts because even with the injuries the Sox should have played better than they did. You said the Chokees were embarassed by the loss, that's not quite accurate, they were humiliated. Perhaps it's you that should get a clue, $100,000,000 more in payroll, 1/10th the injuries and your team played 4 more games. That's not exactly something you should be bragging about.

While I agree Jeter is not a subpar shortstop, defensively he's not in the top 5 and in fact ARod is better, much better. Jeter should never have won a gold glove, that was a joke especially when you consider Alex Gonzalez hasn't won a gold glove and he's the best defensive shortstop in baseball, bar none. He's a friggin wizard. He makes plays that make you shake your head in amazement all the time.

And don't get me started on that Chokees payroll, considering Georgie Boy will spend about $230,000,000 after luxury taxes are assessed this year to be destroyed by the Tigers in the first round of the playoffs is a choke job of the highest magnitude.  Not quite as bad as 2004 but it's up there.

Get ready for some major changes in New York. I wouldn't doubt it if Torre, ARod, Randy Johnson and Sheffield are all gone. The word is Lou Piniella will take over for Torre. I don't know about that but it should be interesting.

body88

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2006, 05:39:42 AM »
I'm not going to defend the Red Sox because they were sliding before the injuries but to compare the injuries the Red Sox had to deal with to the injuries the New York Chokees had to deal with is asinine. The Red Sox lost nearly EVERYONE in the lineup at one point or another including Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz who is only the most clutch and most feared hitter in all of baseball. And when Manny is out of the lineup no one pitches to Ortiz, they just walk him. Also, the loss of Varitek to the pitching staff was such a huge blow that it's almost can't calculate how much influence he has. All you need to know is that Mirabelli became our everyday catcher.  ::)

Again, I am not making excuses just pointing the facts because even with the injuries the Sox should have played better than they did. You said the Chokees were embarassed by the loss, that's not quite accurate, they were humiliated. Perhaps it's you that should get a clue, $100,000,000 more in payroll, 1/10th the injuries and your team played 4 more games. That's not exactly something you should be bragging about.

While I agree Jeter is not a subpar shortstop, defensively he's not in the top 5 and in fact ARod is better, much better. Jeter should never have won a gold glove, that was a joke especially when you consider Alex Gonzalez hasn't won a gold glove and he's the best defensive shortstop in baseball, bar none. He's a friggin wizard. He makes plays that make you shake your head in amazement all the time.

And don't get me started on that Chokees payroll, considering Georgie Boy will spend about $230,000,000 after luxury taxes are assessed this year to be destroyed by the Tigers in the first round of the playoffs is a choke job of the highest magnitude.  Not quite as bad as 2004 but it's up there.

Get ready for some major changes in New York. I wouldn't doubt it if Torre, ARod, Randy Johnson and Sheffield are all gone. The word is Lou Piniella will take over for Torre. I don't know about that but it should be interesting.

Hahah gonzo is incredable!

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2006, 05:43:14 AM »

Hahah gonzo is incredable!

He's the second coming of Ozzie Smith, if I were actually old enough to remember Ozzie Smith.

I saw some thing on NESN the other night, it was Jerry Remy's picks for the best plays of the year. I had forgotten some of Gonzo's plays. The dude was born to play shortstop. He's without question the best shortstop I've ever seen.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2006, 07:12:51 AM »
Looks like that $250,000,000 payroll was money well spent.
Next year they'll probably spend $300,000,000.   ::)

Ok, effin, I am a Yankee fan. I know you are a Red Sox fan. The Yankees showed all the emotion of a paper bag this series. They have to get out from under the following contracts- Randy Johnson, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, maybe A-Rod etc.. and get some younger guys in here and start developing some decent pitchers from within like Wang and Phil Hughes. The 96 thru 2001 teams had a great bunch of guys and great chemistry and solid pitching staffs. 2002 teams thru 2006 are a bunch of stars thrown together with some on the wrong side of the curve.
The House that Ruth built

gymrat3082

• Getbig II
  • NPC Bodybuilder
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2006, 07:30:29 AM »
It sucks, they lost, I'm a Yankees fan, but this team showed that didn't give a shit, team lacked heart.   Joe should really retire now and head to the baseball hall of fame as fast as possible.  Maybe Pinnella is the answer, but I would perfer Giradi(sorry if I spelled his name wrong) Yankees need to let shef go, resign moose for less.  Resign Villone for less and use him alot less.  Some how, some way sign Zito for 15-16 million a year, Buy out Pavano's contract.  As much as I would like to see E-rod go, he won't except a trade.  As much as I hate to say it, trade melky and lide or wright for some one who can pitch, someone that has a chance at win 20 games a year.  Groom Philip Hughes to come up mid season and be a starter.  Middle relief, is what they need, and who ever is the manager needs to use the entire bullpen, not just proctor (80 appearances) and villone.  Defense, well not any positions open, so you stuck there.  And They need to not trade away all there prospects, keep them.  I'm just pissed off the Yankees rolled over and died after game 1 win!!! There needs to be many changes!! But I'm afraid this problem will take a few years to fix.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2006, 08:52:39 AM »
Hahaha not only that where was the MVP Jeter to save the day aaahahahhaha. Ortiz has more rbi's , hr's , better obp and like 300 more homeruns. Not to mention he had 13 game winning hits. Jeter is considered a sub par ss so playing the field dont help his argument. W

You know shit about baseball just like you don't know shit about bodybuilding. Jeter is sure handed, doesn't make many errors and turns a great double play. He doesn't have great range. Ortiz team didn't do shit except basically quit after the Yankees swept them in August. How does an MVP come from a team that basically mailed it in for August and September? Ortiz doesn't play a position. Jeter plays the most important position on the field. Jeter did his part against the Tigers. He played a solid shortstop and went 7 for 14. He isn't the reason the Yankees lost.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2006, 08:55:25 AM »
Haha the red sox? The entire starting lineup was injured. Half the team was out for that last series. The red sox where in first place most all the year. You do know at one point the entire starting lineup was injured pretty much.Get a clue god boy.

The Yankees overcame more injuries than the Red Sox pal. Matsui, Pavano, Sheffield were out basically the WHOLE season. The Yankees obviously still played hard and won 97 games. The Red Sox folded like a cheap tent. The only guy who missed tons of time on the Sox was Foulke. Manny still played in like 135 games. Ortiz missed very few games.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »
I'm as big a Yankee fan as anyone but they need to let some of these big name players go. Since the Yankees signed A-Rod, Sheffield and Giambi they are 4-12 in the postseason. These guys don't produce when it really counts in NY....The Playoffs. I hope A-Rod gets hit by a fvcking bus, for real. He is a spineless Primadonna, The Yanks can't get rid of him fast enough for me.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2006, 09:29:32 AM »

Haha if you knew anything about baseball you would know Derek Jeter is considered to be a  average DEFENSIVE shortstop by most all in baseball. He is not even the best shortstop on the Yankees. Arod (before his struggles was much better) Jeter has very limited range and makes alot of errors. Since you think this statement is crazy you are obv a crazy new york fan. Not only that you think the only injuries the red sox had was "veritek" you obviously do not watch much of the red sox....

The injuries the Yankees had cant hold a candle to the Red Sox. So what those guys where out? You got Arod,jeter,Giambi,Posada,Damon and the rest of the 15 million plus "superstars" out there lol. You do not watch much baseball if you think the only injuries the sox had during the "massacere" was veritek. Tim Wakefield , Trot Nixon , John Lester, Kieth Folk, and Del carmen to name a FEW. The Red Sox where in first place most all the year until the injuries. Byt the time the end of the season was here they had pretty much there entire starting lineup out. Lets see how the chokees would have done with there entire starting lineup out. They cannot even get out of te first round with the so called "best lineup ever"  and 200 million bucks on the pay role hahahaha what a joke.

lol, you can't even spell Varitek and Foulke correctly.

Sox revisionist historians will like to point to injuries as the reason that the Sox collapsed, but that's far from the truth.  Their run differential and pyth calcualations showed them to be about 8 games worse than their record suggested.  It was bound to catch up with them.  They had flukey numbers against the Orioles and the NL, but played poorly against good teams.

The Sox slide began right after the all star break.  Why?  Start with Beckett.  He was dubbed an "Ace" despite never having pitched over 176 innings, and was coming from the weaker NL AND from pitching in a pitcher's ballpark.  He had been marred by inconsistency his whole career, and been living off his 2003 WS performance.  Before the Vagitek injury, he had the second lowest OPS among AL qualified catchers, been the second lowest in CS % among qualified AL catchers, and his team ERA was in the bottom half of the AL.   It could be argued that he was the worst catcher in the AL.   Lowell, Gonzalez and Youklis all had good starts above their averages that were bound to catch up with them.   Coco Crisp turned out to be a shadow of Johnny Damno.  Nixon hasn't been shit since he got off the juice.  Also, take into consideration that Wonder Boy Epstein traded away incredible prospects like Marte, Sanchez, Sanchez, and Ramirez which would have produced a lethal combination of youth and veterans that would've given them the payroll flexibility to add  a superstar like Abreu. 

The fact is that the Yankees ended the Sox season with the Boston Massacre in August, but Sox fans will look to injuries for excuses.  Yes, they were devastated after that, but it was already over at that point.  They're going to  suck next year too, since they're saddled with 100 million right from the get go.

Body, it's evident that YOU know nothing about baseball, and just decided to spout out the popular media generated traditional bullshit drivel that you read on ESPN.com.  If you ever want really learn, visit  http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/  or other similar sites, but they'll probably be over your head.
Y

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2006, 09:41:40 AM »
The name of the game is TEAM CHEMISTRY. Slapping together a lineup of high priced players does not guarantee shit, period.

As a life long Orioles fan, there's only one thing to say about the Yankees....FUCK 'EM!

A rod batted 8th in yesterday's game? Pathetic. The most overrated player and most overpaid player in baseball. Bringing in Damon and bumping Jeter as your lead off man? Ridiculously stupid. Only happened because they needed to replace Bernie in center. You don't bump your lead off guy to second. Another post season failure since 2000. Gotta love it.
Yankees fans always ridicule me and say"when's the last time you were in the playoffs?"

My answer? I'd rather lose every year than over spend for a bunch of names that can't get it done when it counts.

Torre? Would you like to manage the O's??

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2006, 09:43:23 AM »
lol, you can't even spell Varitek and Foulke correctly.

Body, it's evident that YOU know nothing about baseball.

That is an understatement.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2006, 09:49:36 AM »
The name of the game is TEAM CHEMISTRY. Slapping together a lineup of high priced players does not guarantee shit, period.

Bringing in Damon and bumping Jeter as your lead off man? Ridiculously stupid. Only happened because they needed to replace Bernie in center. You don't bump your lead off guy to second.

I gotta disagree with you there. Damon was a real good signing. Jeter is more suited to the two hole. I do agree that the Yankees were a mish mash of pieces thrown together. I personally liked the line up with Melky in there. His speed, glove, hustle and enthusiam were a shot in the arm to a bunch of complacent veterans.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2006, 09:50:37 AM »

As a life long Orioles fan, there's only one thing to say about the Yankees....f**k 'EM!

Up, the O's need to somehow get rid of Angelos.

Sean-DeMarco

• Getbig III
  • "A year from now, you'll wish you started today."
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2006, 09:50:56 AM »
  Bottom of the eigth inning and the Tigers are ahead by seven runs. Gotta love it.  :D ;D 8)

My money's still on Detroit to win it all.

...You are a very smart man~ ;D
~Sean-DeMarco

Purge_WTF

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2006, 09:52:07 AM »
  Thanks--I try.   :D ;D

Sean-DeMarco

• Getbig III
  • "A year from now, you'll wish you started today."
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2006, 09:52:58 AM »
Looks like that $250,000,000 payroll was money well spent.
Next year they'll probably spend $300,000,000.   ::)

...That's right! Just like the Yankees have done for the past 15 years. God forbid if they should actually have to build a team from scratch.~ ::)
~Sean-DeMarco

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2006, 10:00:37 AM »
I gotta disagree with you there. Damon was a real good signing. Jeter is more suited to the two hole. I do agree that the Yankees were a mish mash of pieces thrown together. I personally liked the line up with Melky in there. His speed, glove, hustle and enthusiam were a shot in the arm to a bunch of complacent veterans.

Damon had a career year for power numbers so I have to agree with you. His average was way down for a lead off man, though.

Angelos. Jesus. Tell me something I don't know, bro.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2006, 10:03:34 AM »

Agree 100% on Melky. He deserved to be in there.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2006, 10:04:39 AM »
Damon had a career year for power numbers so I have to agree with you. His average was way down for a lead off man, though.

Angelos. Jesus. Tell me something I don't know, bro.

It's likely Damon had a career year in power because of the extremely short porch in Yankee stadiu. His swing was made for that park. If he had played anywhere else his power numbers wouldn't have been as high.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2006, 10:05:56 AM »
I doubt the Yanks wil trade anybody. They will most likely dump sheffield though. Him and Torre will be gone. I hope they keep Mattingly as the hitting coach and Guidry as pitching coach. Lets see what Pinella can do with this team.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2006, 10:11:49 AM »
I doubt the Yanks wil trade anybody. They will most likely dump sheffield though. Him and Torre will be gone. I hope they keep Mattingly as the hitting coach and Guidry as pitching coach. Lets see what Pinella can do with this team.

Torre should be gone IMO. His lineups for those games were stupifying.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2006, 10:14:37 AM »
Torre should be gone IMO. His lineups for those games were stupifying.

according the todays New York Times, torre is done.

John Kruk and others sounded dissapointed on ESPN when they heard the news but Torre is out