Author Topic: Dips  (Read 7962 times)

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
Re: Dips
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 11:56:15 PM »
Weighted dips are a proven exercise for building triceps size and strength. I use a basic rep scheme like 8x3 or 5x5. Make sure you go down until the upper arm is at least parallel to the ground. Your elbows will feel like they've been put through a meat grinder. It's awesome.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 05:42:35 AM »
Hey guys, after the recent pushups post on 'gossip' page i wandered how many of u like/dislike dips and chins

Been doing dips on chest day, after inclined bench press, and chins on back day, after deadlifts, once per week for the past 24 years.  No shoulder problems, great results. 

If your shoulders hurt when doing dips, try lowering your body only to the point where your arms are at about a 90 degree angle. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 06:52:53 AM »
Weighted dips are a proven exercise for building triceps size and strength.
In theory, just as BB benches for supposed to be for chest. In practice, for many they're the worst in terms of effectiveness & joint/ligament probs.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 08:30:42 AM »
Being younger and new to dips, maybe I haven't got problems because of those things, but I think (like all exercises) form plays a vital role. You don't want to be swinging with dips, but try to keep it flowing smoothly and if it hurts anywhere when doing them (like it did with me on my right hand) you should change it until it feels better.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 09:01:52 AM »
Weighted dips are a proven exercise for upper body mass. Not a theory at all to people with lifting experience. With different hand positions, a more selective focus on certain muscles can be achieved: triceps, lower pec's, anterior delts, ect. Like any other exercise, dip's (weighted or not) may not be for everyone. Joint, liagament, etc, problems seem to be more present in heavy benchers than people who use weighted dips, from what I've experienced over the years. As I suggested before, warm-up and do not go to any extreme stretch at the bottom position. What you feel comfortable with should be find.

When using a 'V' dipping bar, for example, more opportunity is given to try wider and different hand placings. The pec's and delt tie-in seems to be brought out more. In any case the weighted dip is a superior movement. If it's not for you, than it's not for you. Do any exercise you like. Don't think that you have to do a certain exercise because some people recommend it.

Extended information for The Pumpster, who seems to need it very badly: We have a 'V' dipping bar  in the garage gym, which I have used in the past. The pec's (lower) were getting to big for my purpose. (not a real big fan of large pec's on a man. On a women, that's another story). He did not acknowledge it, but I hope he noticed the site's (just a couple, more out there) that featured 'V' dipping bar's. As The Pumpster thinks that these dipping bars are a myth, I hope this helps. He challenged me to find a source for the 'V' bar. I felt it my duty to help and inform him due to his lack of understanding of BB'ing and equipment.  Good luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 10:23:31 AM »
As The Pumpster thinks that these dipping bars are a myth, I hope this helps. He challenged me to find a source for the 'V' bar. I felt it my duty to help and inform him due to his lack of understanding of BB'ing and equipment.  Good luck.
This guy's obsessed with me. ;D  :o One of those sources is in the UK BTW.  ::)

Garage gym? After going on and on about it, this loudmouth jackass didn't think enough of his clients to use it at a real gym. hahaahahahaahahah

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 01:14:30 PM »
Wrong again or should I just say prime stupid of The Pumpster. I have no clients or am I a PT, as I have posted a few times before. I do work for an educational/athletic/sports institution(s).

That garage gym is a expanded three car garage with two power racks, two 9ft lifting bars, DB's up to 220, two 20" DB bars going to 300lbs, Heavy cables, dip (& 'V' bar) mounted stand, etc, etc, etc. We have a limited membership of about 40 lifters. We consider it very heavy duty. Nothing crome in the joint. No showers, just workout heavy and hard and than go home. I have also posted this a few time before but I guess The Pumpster has a short term memory or a understanding problem. I do pity the gentleman.

As I posted in the source for "V' dip bar's, one was in the UK. Or doesn't The Pumpster remember that either? Probably going to all the other threads on this site, he might get confused and lose track of where he is most of the time. I guess that's why he rambles and does appear a little simple minded.

Might be time for the old gentleman to find a spot in a good retirement home, where he can get the mental care he badly needs. Hope this helps.  Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 01:25:58 PM »
The obsession with Pumpster increases with a full 4 paragraphs this time..equal parts embarassing & bizarre. :o

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 02:27:27 AM »
SO.......Some people think dips are good, some think them bad. Glad we cleared all that up. lol

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 04:22:47 AM »
SO.......Some people think dips are good, some think them bad. Glad we cleared all that up. lol
Davie stirring the pot. lol

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2006, 07:02:20 AM »
Davie stirring the pot. lol

Haha not really intentional, just find it quite amusing. You and JPM both seem to know alot about training, and u both swear by certain exercises/training methods, which through ur own experiences of training urselfs or others have yielded good results. And b/c uv both had such good results with ur own methods u seem to butt heads on a few issues, which result in this on going squable.

Though i am glad the topic got alot of responses.

davie

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 08:05:49 AM »
Haha not really intentional, just find it quite amusing.
Davie you little weasel you're being a dink-asking for advice then thanking those who take the time with inflammatory words like squabble and butt-head. You asked for answers before stepping back and trying to create a negative, beavis. hahahaahahahah

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2006, 08:40:25 AM »
Davie you little weasel you're being a dink-asking for advice then thanking those who take the time with inflammatory words like squabble and butt-head. You asked for answers before stepping back and trying to create a negative, beavis. hahahaahahahah

Oh cum on i didnt know me asking for help in a topic would result in u guys arguin.
I dont want u to argue, i am very thankful of ur input and have noted everything u two and everybody else has said.

davie