Author Topic: Larry Scott  (Read 75173 times)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
Larry Scott
« on: October 14, 2006, 06:34:18 PM »
what is the difference his signature lift and the arnold Press, i saw a pic and they look like the same thing.
bodybuildersreality.com

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
Re: Larry Scott
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 07:02:23 PM »
Same thing, arnie stole the idea from Scott. Basically a dumbel press with your palms facing your delts and you twist your hands out as you press.
X

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 12:56:12 PM »
Same thing, arnie stole the idea from Scott. Basically a dumbel press with your palms facing your delts and you twist your hands out as you press.
i thought so.
bodybuildersreality.com

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 11:31:49 PM »
man he had a great look

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:13:49 AM »
man he had a great look

Ya he sure did, looking at Larry the Legend kinda gives you something to shoot for!
X

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 11:36:02 AM »
wow, awsome physique.
bodybuildersreality.com

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 03:39:20 AM »
wow, awsome physique.

That upper arm is all biceps (well it looks it).

Hasnt larry scott got his own special trainig methods hes now selling to people?
I guess if hes telling them he'll look like him then it might sell quite well.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 07:40:47 AM »
That upper arm is all biceps (well it looks it).

Hasnt larry scott got his own special trainig methods hes now selling to people?
I guess if hes telling them he'll look like him then it might sell quite well.

davie

Yup- Loaded Guns
X

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 08:07:51 AM »
Scott's a prime example of a pec/delt tie-in. Muscle groups flow together, not like today. Been told by some old time vet's, from Venice/Santa Monica, that he used to train triceps much more than biceps. Always around the dipping bar and also doing  handstand push-up, etc. When he started to train in North Hollywood (Vince's), that's when biceps were focused on. Outstanding delts on a narrow frame. Can look at the size of his head and tell he had less than normal shoulder bone width. Scott wrote once that his arm's got so big (20"..abouts) that they actually hurt just hanging from his sides. I surpose 99% of the guy's who come to this site wished they had that problem. Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:55:41 AM »
Larry was one of the first guys in BB with superstar sized arms-in the 1960s this was unusual.

Larry's fave muscle to train was triceps, as he said himself-but with Gironda there he was forced to train bis just as hard-i wouldn't say his genetics were particularly hard but he worked hard and smart, with the luxury of training methods that were/are ahead of their time. The bread n' butter of his triceps routine was always the pedestal, which is great. The preacher bench had already been invented but was popularized by Scott.

Tris were always as good as bis, which is why his arms were so complete. Schwarzenegger said he thought they were the best arms ever, as of the early 1970s.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 04:14:11 AM »
Man in that 3rd pic down look at the left forearm, huge.

davie

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 05:14:05 AM »
Ya davie, Larry had huge forarms!! He had some unusual training methods too. IF youve ever tried to use a preacher bench like he did you would wonder how he developed his arms at all. Larry had a way of placing his arms on the pad so that his elbows touched and his forearms flaired out to the sides. Try it some time- talk about uncomfortable!!! He would do it that way with barbells and dumbells.
Larry also knew he couldnt curl big weights with weak forarms so he developed a low bench that sat about 12 inches of the floor that he would straddle and lay his arms over to do wrists curls.
X

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 07:09:58 AM »
Larry also knew he couldnt curl big weights with weak forarms so he developed a low bench that sat about 12 inches of the floor that he would straddle and lay his arms over to do wrists curls.

One of the exercises in Arnold's Encyclopedia. Did Larry invent that? Anyway, the guy had some serious mass on his chest and arms. Some of, if not the biggest biceps I've ever seen.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 10:31:00 AM »
He had some unusual training methods too. IF youve ever tried to use a preacher bench like he did you would wonder how he developed his arms at all. Larry had a way of placing his arms on the pad so that his elbows touched and his forearms flaired out to the sides. Try it some time- talk about uncomfortable!!!
Effective; if it hurts you're probably doing it wrong.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 10:36:27 AM »
Effective; if it hurts you're probably doing it wrong.

I'll see if I can dig up a photo of Larry doing dumbel curls his way- OUCH
X

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 10:37:16 AM »
One of the exercises in Arnold's Encyclopedia. Did Larry invent that? Anyway, the guy had some serious mass on his chest and arms. Some of, if not the biggest biceps I've ever seen.

I believe he invented that bench but I dont know for sure
X

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 12:52:04 PM »
what do you mean?? can you describe the movement?
bodybuildersreality.com

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 01:29:33 PM »
Quote from: Lord Humungous on Today at 01:36:27 PM

what do you mean?? can you describe the movement?
His exercises were highly effective, aren't uncomfortable at all from my experience doing those.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2006, 02:12:08 PM »
His exercises were highly effective, aren't uncomfortable at all from my experience doing those.
Thanks pumpster!! Thats the low bench I was talking about. I have also seen pics of Larry doing db curls with his elbows so close together they almost touch, OUCH!
X

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2006, 02:27:51 PM »
I have also seen pics of Larry doing db curls with his elbows so close together they almost touch, OUCH!
I've never seen those-he might've actually been doing wrist curls with the elbows close. DB curls as done in that pic work perfectly though.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2006, 04:20:25 PM »
i cant train forearms directly without them cramping up real hard.

larry had some of the best arms ever. basically he was a guy who 1. had extremely good arm genetics(very full bellies on bis, tris and forearms, low insertions), 2. was obsessed with arm training, and 3. ate lots of dbol.

you can train all you want and do any kind of neat little exercise or whatever novel little technique or whatever, but it wont matter at all unless you have numbers 1 and 3.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 04:45:06 PM »
you can train all you want and do any kind of neat little exercise or whatever novel little technique or whatever, but it wont matter at all unless you have numbers 1 and 3.
A little too pessimistic given that you don't have his knowledge. Easy to say he had the genetics but the fact is that superior training, intensity and nutrition brought him up from 157 lb.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »
A little too pessimistic given that you don't have his knowledge. Easy to say he had the genetics but the fact is that superior training, intensity and nutrition brought him up from 157 lb.
lol come on now pumpster...
this stuff isnt rocket science...its not like he did some kind of 'secret exercise of the pros' that got his arms big...there are only so many ways to train your biceps. alos i dont train any less hard or smart than these guys. the difference is their glorious genetics and the fact that they use anabolic steroids. thats it.

he is always considered to have shitty genetics but that is far from true. he may not have been a big guy but look at his arms. completely full muscle bellies and low insertions on the bis, tris, and forearms. most people only have maybe one or 2 of those, two if their really lucky. i have small joints, long lanky arms, high bicep inserts, and unimpressive forearms. doesnt mean i train any 'less hard' than him or have 'less smarts' than him ::)
it just means he has superior genetics. and drugs.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006, 03:06:55 AM »
That way of preacher curling was a gironda method, like many of girondas exercises it looked weird but apparently was very effective.

davie

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006, 04:21:39 AM »
i have small joints, long lanky arms, high bicep inserts, and unimpressive forearms. doesnt mean i train any 'less hard' than him or have 'less smarts' than him
Based on what you've said, there's no reason to assume that you've realized your full potential the way he did; stop taking a loser's approach and ascribing it all to one thing. You remind me of the guys who claims it's all about drugs.