Author Topic: Evangelical Leader Accused of Gay Affair  (Read 37647 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Evangelical Leader Accused of Gay Affair
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2006, 03:13:12 PM »
It'd be great if the other guy came forward and gave us all the sordid details

Stay tuned... I just read that Mike Jones has a book deal; he has said he will dish all the dirt in every detail not only on Ted Haggard but on similar men he has been with  ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2007, 11:53:26 AM »
Why would someone, (a man) "choose" to do something as disgusting as have sex with a man if he didn't have a physical, mental and emotional, predisposition to do so?

That pastor is a HOMO, born that way with GOD blessing and that church has taught him to deny himself which has caused him to live a double life.  He sees himself as unworthy of GOD and cannot help his desires.  He would be so much happier if he just divorced his wife, quit the church that tells he's a bad person for feeling the way he does, and get a boyfriend.

But he won't do that.  He'll crumble under pressure from the church and his family and will try and be a "good" little Christan and certainly repeat what he did.

It's guaranteed.

The denial continues...   :-[

Minister: Haggard Is 'Completely Heterosexual'
The Associated Press
Tuesday, February 6, 2007; 9:53 AM

DENVER -- One of four ministers who oversaw three weeks of intensive counseling for the Rev. Ted Haggard said the disgraced minister emerged convinced that he is "completely heterosexual."

Haggard also said his sexual contact with men was limited to the former male prostitute who came forward with sexual allegations, the Rev. Tim Ralph of Larkspur told The Denver Post for a story in Tuesday's edition.

"He is completely heterosexual," Ralph said. "That is something he discovered. It was the acting-out situations where things took place. It wasn't a constant thing."

Ralph said the board spoke with people close to Haggard while investigating his claim that his only extramarital sexual contact happened with Mike Jones. The board found no evidence to the contrary.

"If we're going to be proved wrong, somebody else is going to come forward, and that usually happens really quickly," he said. "We're into this thing over 90 days and it hasn't happened."

Haggard resigned as president of the National Association of Evangelicals last year after allegations of sexual misconduct surfaced. He was also forced out from the 14,000 New Life Church that he founded years ago in his basement after Jones alleged Haggard paid him for sex and sometimes used methamphetamine when they were together. Haggard, who is married, has publicly admitted to "sexual immorality."

Haggard said in an e-mail Sunday, his first communication in three months to church members, that he and his wife, Gayle, plan to pursue master's degrees in psychology. The e-mail said the family hasn't decided where to move but that they were considering Missouri and Iowa.

Another oversight board member, the Rev. Mike Ware of Westminster, said the group recommended the move out of town and the Haggards agreed.

"This is a good place for Ted," Ware said. "It's hard to heal in Colorado Springs right now. It's like an open wound. He needs to get somewhere he can get the wound healed."

It was also the oversight board that strongly urged Haggard to go into secular work.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2007, 11:57:14 AM »
That's messed up. Why can't the dude just admit his cocksuckism and move on?!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #128 on: February 06, 2007, 03:44:22 PM »
Why would someone, (a man) "choose" to do something as disgusting as have sex with a man if he didn't have a physical, mental and emotional, predisposition to do so?

Oh Yes OzmO  I agree ...'having sex with a man' has probably got to rank right up there with one of the most nastiest, vilest, and disgusting things someone can do.  ::) Who told you? ...your wife? I guess that explains why you're now single huh? How the poor thing must have suffered so.  ;)

ps - See how mean I get when I don't get to play poker? ...and there plenty more where that came from  >:(
w

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2007, 03:52:26 PM »
Oh Yes OzmO  I agree ...'having sex with a man' has probably got to rank right up there with one of the most nastiest, vilest, and disgusting things someone can do.  ::) Who told you? ...your wife? I guess that explains why you're now single huh? How the poor thing must have suffered so.  ;)

ps - See how mean I get when I don't get to play poker? ...and there plenty more where that came from  >:(

You should get back to school. Optimum performance is found where experience meets education. Experience alone will statistically not take you to the top.

Make Debussey proud -> Get a MBA.

:)
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2007, 05:27:56 PM »
Haggard is in total denial.  His wife is a tool.  Members of his congregation are idiots.  I feel sorry for his kids.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/06/haggard.ap/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2007, 11:32:35 PM »
Haggard is in total denial.  His wife is a tool.  Members of his congregation are idiots.  I feel sorry for his kids.

(Watch one woman tell her story of conversion from homosexuality )

Interesting clip.  A former lesbian talks about leaving the lifestyle behind.  A psychologist and salon.com writer bashed the conversion programs.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2007, 12:06:59 AM »
That's messed up. Why can't the dude just admit his cocksuckism and move on?!

Because he's a retard!

I mean, however you wanna look at it... Either it's a choice and you let the cock slap you in the face, or it's "genetic" and you slurped the cock... 

Either way... dude, you sucked cock... You are GAY!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2007, 03:55:52 PM »
Haggard's church finds evidence of strange behavior before downfall
Stephanie Simon, Los Angeles Times
Sunday, March 18, 2007

(03-18) 04:00 PDT Denver -- They have had four months to reflect, and the senior staff of New Life Church can look back and see the warning signs.

Not one suspected that their high-profile pastor, the Rev. Ted Haggard, secretly had been visiting a gay prostitute. But they see now that Haggard talked too much about sex, that he could be crudely suggestive, that he seemed to have a need to push boundaries.

And that no one called him on any of it.

"His loose discussions about sexuality might have seemed refreshingly raw and real, especially since church had always been so stuffy and prudish in the past," said Rob Brendle, associate pastor of the mega-church in Colorado Springs. "In retrospect, some of his comments and interactions -- that at the time seemed edgy, but innocent enough -- now seem questionable."

A team of pastors assigned to investigate Haggard after he admitted in November to "sexual immorality" have concluded his behavior went beyond merely questionable.

The board of overseers uncovered a pattern of troubling behavior -- "everything from sordid conversation to overt suggestions to improper activities to improper relationships," the Rev. Larry Stockstill told the New Life congregation in a February report.

Stockstill would not divulge details, but he and the other investigators concluded that Haggard -- who is in therapy and preparing to leave Colorado Springs -- suffered from "habitual, life-controlling problems."

They called it "a matter of grace" that the pastor was caught in his "final relationship," with prostitute Mike Jones of Denver.

Jones had come forward with allegations that Haggard had been paying him for sex regularly for three years and had used methamphetamine in his presence. After Jones produced voice-mail messages from Haggard, the pastor admitted he had visited the prostitute -- only for a massage, he said -- and said he had purchased drugs but never used them.

He was permanently removed from the leadership of New Life and resigned the presidency of the National Association of Evangelicals, which represents 30 million Christians.

Shortly after his confession, Haggard and his wife, Gayle, spent three weeks at a secular counseling program in Arizona. A member of the church's board of overseers, the Rev. Tim Ralph, told a reporter that Haggard emerged from the treatment convinced "he is completely heterosexual."

Ever since, Haggard's friends and mentors have been disavowing that quote.

"The true characterization is that Mr. Haggard had a weakness and he continues to work to strengthen himself," said the Rev. H.B. London, a member of the three-man team overseeing Haggard's spiritual recovery.

Even the most ardent proponents of therapy to change same-sex attraction say it is a lifelong struggle, demanding constant vigilance and sacrifice -- a price that they find reasonable to avoid relationships they consider sinful.

"Ted will need years of accountability to demonstrate his victory over both actions and tendencies," Stockstill said in the report, which he read aloud to the New Life congregation.

Haggard's associates say he is working diligently toward that goal. He follows a strict regimen of group therapy, family counseling and one-on-one sessions with spiritual advisers. He has agreed to restrictions on what he watches and reads to try to banish what he has called "repulsive and dark" desires.

New Life will continue to pay Haggard's salary of roughly $130,000 through the end of 2007. In exchange, he has agreed not to talk to the media and to leave town.

Haggard and his wife have five children, two still in school; he has told friends that he wants to move the family somewhere with a low cost of living, perhaps Iowa or Missouri.

"Jesus is starting to put me back together," Haggard wrote in February in an e-mail sent to the 14,000 members of his former congregation.

He and his wife plan to take online courses in psychology, he said, "so we can work together serving others the rest of our lives."

The congregation that Haggard founded in his basement -- after a vision he had while fasting on Pike's Peak -- is also reaching for renewal.

Donations to the church, the largest in Colorado, have dropped about 8 percent in the months since the scandal broke. New Life took in $4.9 million from November through February, compared with $5.3 million in the same period a year earlier, Brendle said.

The drop forced the church to lay off 44 of its 350 workers, among them pastoral staff, administrative assistants and child-care providers.

Attendance at New Life is also down, roughly 15 percent, Brendle said.

But those who have stuck with the church say they haven't seen the free-fall they feared. The interim senior pastor, Ross Parsley, is a familiar face at New Life and has a strong following.

"I look around on Sunday mornings and I don't notice as many empty seats as I would have expected, given what we've been through," said Carol Groesbeck, who sings in the choir.

A "moral audit" of the senior staff uncovered one other example of unspecified sexual sin, Brendle said.

The staff member involved -- who led a ministry for young adults -- resigned.

The remaining leadership of the church has vowed to hold one another accountable for their words and actions, hoping to wipe out what London called "a culture of enabling" that fueled Haggard's indiscretions.

As an example of Haggard's inappropriate remarks, Brendle cited the pastor's boast to a documentary filmmaker that "evangelicals have the best sex life of any other group."

In front of the church, with the cameras rolling, Haggard pulled aside two men from his congregation and asked how often their wives experienced orgasm. The clip made the documentary, Alexandra Pelosi's "Friends of God," and is now featured on YouTube.com.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2007, 10:07:41 AM »

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2008, 05:42:27 PM »
Has anyone read this book?  :D

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2008, 06:51:03 PM »
Has anyone read this book?  :D

No, but I think this is a sad day when no one can trust their favorite muscle daddy, or call girl.  WTF is going on with this country, everybody is out for themselves, this guy just wanted to make a buck, hence his book he wrote.  Haggert was a good man, helping people out, too bad this fellow had to ruin it all.

TEAM Nasser

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »
Disgraced pastor Haggard: I was abused as child

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — Disgraced evangelical pastor Ted Haggard says he was sexually abused as a child and that the experience "started to rage in my mind and in my heart" when he was caught up in a sex scandal involving a male prostitute. Haggard made the remarks in two recent sermons in Morrison, Ill., ABC's "Good Morning America" reported Wednesday.

Haggard said one of his father's employees "had a sexual experience with me" when Haggard was 7, according to audio recordings of the sermons posted on the ABC News Web site.

Haggard said he later became "a conservative Republican, loving the word of God, an evangelical, born-again, spirit-filled, charismatic, all those things.

"But some of the things that were buried in the depths of the sea from when I was in the second grade started to rage in my mind and in my heart," he said.

In 2006, Haggard was fired as pastor of the 14,000-member New Life Church in Colorado Springs when a former male prostitute alleged they had a cash-for-sex relationship. The man also said he saw Haggard use methamphetamine. Haggard also stepped down as president of the National Association of Evangelicals.

He has said some of the allegations were exaggerated but he has never offered specifics.

Haggard, who is starting an insurance agency in Colorado Springs, did not immediately return a phone message left by The Associated Press.

Haggard previously had confessed to undisclosed "sexual immorality," and on the new audio he said: "I really did sin."
Haggard said his family suffered severely for his actions.

"My wife — all my sin and shame fell on her. People treated her as if she had fallen," he said. "And my children — they all went through carrying my shame. And I am so sorry that I did that to my family."

Haggard said he became suicidal but eventually emerged with a stronger Christian faith and marriage than he'd ever had.

Haggard said church leaders missed an opportunity to use his scandal to "communicate the gospel worldwide through secular media."

"We consistently blow it" when those opportunities arise, he said.

"A congressman in trouble, that's the time. A family member gets himself in horrible trouble, that's the time. A preacher gets himself in awful trouble, that's the time," he said, his voice rising to a near-shout.

Audio of Haggard's Illinois sermons were posted on http://tedhaggard.com, but the Web site was unavailable late Wednesday, carrying only the message, "Website Is Being Rebuilt."

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »
I wasn’t aware that gayness was permanent. Why are people quick to believe someone one when he/she declares to be gay. But, when someone gay says he/she ain’t, it always about so-called denial?

Is Ellen Degeneres’ ex-girlfriend, Anne Heche, still “gay”? She got with a guy within a year or two of splitting with Ellen.

What about Sinead O’Connor? She came out and said, point blank, she was a lesbian. 18 months later, she married a guy!

For some strange reason, I don’t hear anyone claiming that they’re in denial or that they’re still gay.

Then, there’s the one-time poster boy for the “Love Won Out” ministries, from Focus on the Family, Jon Paulk. Last time I checked, he and his ex-lesbian wife, Anne, have been married for 14 years and have three sons. And this was AFTER they left the homosexual lifestyle.

With regards to Haggard, he said he was molested as a child. If that's accurate, it certainly wouldn't be the first time that someone struggles with homosexuality, because of abuse. Pastor and gospel singer, Donnie McClurken, went through something similar, when one of his uncles molested him. He struggled with his sexuality. But, he says he's overcome. He's married with kids, as well.

Here's what I find interesting. For all the talk about how "hateful" and "bigoted" Christians are, with regards to this subject, you will notice that Christian people reached out to help Haggard, as they did with McClurken, and Paulk (after he got caught in gay night club and "outed" by a rep of the Human Rights Campaign).

As it relates to Paulk, Dr. James Dobson could have dropped him altogether. Instead, Paulk simply got demoted and put on probation, while the people at "Focus" helped him. Ironically enough, attendance at the "Love Won Out" conferences INCREASED after that incidenct. In 2003, Paulk retired, with blessings and well-wishes from the Focus on the Family staff (I believe Jon's wife, Anne, now has that chairman job for "Love Won Out" that Jon once had).

Basically, if one accepts someone's homosexuality at face value, I feel that the same should apply when people say that they've left homosexuality (unless there's evidence to the contrary).

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2009, 10:10:41 PM »
Disgraced pastor faces more gay sex accusations
By ERIC GORSKI, AP Religion Writer

DENVER – Disgraced evangelical leader Ted Haggard's former church disclosed Friday that the gay sex scandal that caused his downfall extends to a young male church volunteer who reported having a sexual relationship with Haggard — a revelation that comes as Haggard tries to repair his public image.

Brady Boyd, who succeeded Haggard as senior pastor of the 10,000-member New Life Church in Colorado Springs, told The Associated Press that the man came forward to church officials in late 2006 shortly after a Denver male prostitute claimed to have had a three-year cash-for-sex relationship with Haggard.

Boyd said an "overwhelming pool of evidence" pointed to an "inappropriate, consensual sexual relationship" that "went on for a long period of time ... it wasn't a one-time act." Boyd said the man was in his early 20s at the time. He said he was certain the man was of legal age when it began.

Reached Friday night, Haggard declined to comment and said all interviews would have to be arranged through a publicist for HBO, which is airing a documentary about him this month.

Boyd said the church reached a legal settlement to pay the man for counseling and college tuition, with one condition being that none of the parties involved discuss the matter publicly.

Boyd said a Colorado Springs TV station reached him Thursday to say the young man was planning to provide a detailed report of his relationship with Haggard to the station. Boyd said the church preferred to keep the matter private, but it was the man's decision to go public.

The disclosure comes as Haggard, 52, is about to give a series of high-profile interviews to promote the cable documentary about his time in exile. He is scheduled to appear on CNN's Larry King Live on Thursday, the date of the documentary's premiere, and already has taped "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

In early 2007, New Life Church disclosed that an investigation uncovered new evidence that Haggard engaged in "sordid conversation" and "improper relationships" — but didn't go into detail. Earlier, a church board member had said there was no evidence that Haggard had sexual relations with anyone but Mike Jones, the former male prostitute.

Haggard confessed to undisclosed "sexual immorality" after Jones' allegations and resigned as president of the National Association of Evangelicals and from New Life Church, where he faced being fired.

Anticipating criticism of the settlement with the former church volunteer, Boyd said Friday that it was in the best interests of all involved. He would not name the volunteer or the settlement amount.

"It wasn't at all a settlement to make him be quiet or not tell his story," Boyd said. "Our desire was to help him. Here was a young man who wanted to get on with his life. We considered it more compassionate assistance — certainly not hush money. I know what's what everyone will want to say because that's the most salacious thing to say, but that's not at all what it was."

He said that "secondarily, it's not great for our church either" that the story be told. Boyd said Haggard knew about the settlement two years ago.

In a letter e-mailed Friday to New Life Church members, Boyd said of the settlement and agreement not to talk: "This decision was made not as an attempt to conceal wrongdoings, but to protect him from those who would seek to exploit him. His actions now suggest that he has changed his mind."

The letter said the church "received reports of a number of incidents of inappropriate behavior" after Haggard's fall. "In each case, we have tried our very best to do the right thing each time, including disciplinary action when appropriate."

Boyd said the "inappropriate behavior" referred to the man who was the volunteer involved with Haggard. After Haggard's fall, another church staff member resigned after admitting to what was described as "sexual misconduct."

Boyd said the church will not take action against the man if he tells his story in the press.

"We have legal standing to do that, but not the desire to," he said.

Boyd said he had spoken to the man once and came away with the impression that he was speaking out because of the documentary. "I think what caused this young man to be a bit aggravated was Ted being seen as a victim, when he himself had experienced a great deal of hurt," Boyd said. "I seriously doubt this man would have come forward if the documentary had not been made."

A spokeswoman for the documentary, "The Trials of Ted Haggard," declined to comment Friday.

David Clohessy, national director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests — which has largely focused on the Catholic sexual abuse scandal but also speaks out on cases involving Protestant clergy — said the new disclosures about Haggard are more disturbing because they involves a church volunteer.

"Technically, legally, they were both adults," Clohessy said. "Psychologically and emotionally, Haggard was dramatically more powerful. ... By definition, any sexual contact between a congregant and minister is inherently abusive and manipulative."

In an AP interview this month before an appearance in front of TV critics in California, Haggard described his sexuality as complex and something that can't be put into "stereotypical boxes."

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
I wasn’t aware that gayness was permanent. Why are people quick to believe someone one when he/she declares to be gay. But, when someone gay says he/she ain’t, it always about so-called denial?

Is Ellen Degeneres’ ex-girlfriend, Anne Heche, still “gay”? She got with a guy within a year or two of splitting with Ellen.

What about Sinead O’Connor? She came out and said, point blank, she was a lesbian. 18 months later, she married a guy!

For some strange reason, I don’t hear anyone claiming that they’re in denial or that they’re still gay.

Then, there’s the one-time poster boy for the “Love Won Out” ministries, from Focus on the Family, Jon Paulk. Last time I checked, he and his ex-lesbian wife, Anne, have been married for 14 years and have three sons. And this was AFTER they left the homosexual lifestyle.

With regards to Haggard, he said he was molested as a child. If that's accurate, it certainly wouldn't be the first time that someone struggles with homosexuality, because of abuse. Pastor and gospel singer, Donnie McClurken, went through something similar, when one of his uncles molested him. He struggled with his sexuality. But, he says he's overcome. He's married with kids, as well.

Here's what I find interesting. For all the talk about how "hateful" and "bigoted" Christians are, with regards to this subject, you will notice that Christian people reached out to help Haggard, as they did with McClurken, and Paulk (after he got caught in gay night club and "outed" by a rep of the Human Rights Campaign).

As it relates to Paulk, Dr. James Dobson could have dropped him altogether. Instead, Paulk simply got demoted and put on probation, while the people at "Focus" helped him. Ironically enough, attendance at the "Love Won Out" conferences INCREASED after that incidenct. In 2003, Paulk retired, with blessings and well-wishes from the Focus on the Family staff (I believe Jon's wife, Anne, now has that chairman job for "Love Won Out" that Jon once had).

Basically, if one accepts someone's homosexuality at face value, I feel that the same should apply when people say that they've left homosexuality (unless there's evidence to the contrary).

sexuality is on a continium, its not the false dichotomy you have outlined, although there is some genetic and anatomical evidence for gayness.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
Ted Haggard was on Oprah today spilling his guts!  ::)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2009, 04:46:30 PM »
Ted Haggard was on Oprah today spilling his guts!  ::)

I do believe that you have to go with Andrew Dice Clay on this one... Either you suck dick, or you do not suck dick.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2009, 07:54:28 PM »
man I wish Ted would just come out and say I did it and it was great, best sex ever!  I am not embarrased and I am not apologizing, you should try it too!

jt
TEAM Nasser

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2009, 08:12:44 PM »
man I wish Ted would just come out and say I did it and it was great, best sex ever!  I am not embarrased and I am not apologizing, you should try it too!

jt

I would have mad respect for him if he did that.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2009, 06:43:17 AM »
He will be on Larry King tonight.

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
He will be on Larry King tonight.

Awesome what time?
TEAM Nasser

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2009, 07:10:13 PM »
Awesome what time?

What am I... a TV guide?  ???  Even if I gave you a time everyone on this board lives in different time zones.  Check your local listings.

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2009, 10:48:50 PM »
What am I... a TV guide?  ???  Even if I gave you a time everyone on this board lives in different time zones.  Check your local listings.

I am sorry Bay, I didn't mean any disrespect.

jt
TEAM Nasser