Author Topic: My HIT log  (Read 37241 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: My HIT log
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2006, 07:37:13 AM »
It just confuses me how one gains strength training this way when not moving the most amount of weight possible in each exercise but, the pre-exhaust makes sense.

Here are a couple of versions of pre-exhaust. There are more, or try your own variations and then post the results:

1/ Do a superset of an pre-exhaust exercise followed by a compound.

2/ Do multiple pre-exhaust sets in standard set fashion with rests in between, then follow those with multiple compound sets. This is the version Yates uses, saying that the first one didn't appeal.

Consider:

-What is effective
-What appeals to use on a regular basis-if it works but doesn't appeal, will you use it?

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2006, 07:37:34 AM »
That article you posted in another thread sounds exactly like what I have been doing. Either way, It seems the results will come due to the simple fact that they are a different way of training than the ways both figgs and I used to do it. One of the first rules to bodybuilding people seem to forget is to always be changing the rules of the game up. I hope to see the results figgs is seeing very soon.

nothing works for everybody.  To say you have to do 4 sets of benchs followed by 4 sets of inclines followed by this and then this is totally moronic if you ask me.  To say you must train like I do is moronic as well.  Lots of things work.  I remember a few months ago there was a clip of Branch Warren doing DB presses from the 05 BFTO and his range of motion was limited to probably the middle 1/2 of the movement and people were loosing thier minds.  The dude has some of the thickest pecs in the world and was moving huge weight so what was the problem?  There is merit in everything...finding what works for you is the key to this sport.
nasser=piece of shit

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2006, 07:40:08 AM »
Here are a couple of versions of pre-exhaust. There are more, or try your own variations and then post the results:

1/ Do a superset of an pre-exhaust exercise followed by a compound.

2/ Do multiple pre-exhaust sets in standard set fashion with rests in between, then follow those with multiple compound sets. This is the version Yates uses, saying that the first one didn't appeal.

anyone interested in a good read should check out the old ellington darden books, you can get them pretty cheap...like massive muscles in 10 weeks.  I dont' agree with everything he says but it's a fun read none the less.
nasser=piece of shit

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2006, 09:20:40 AM »
I just came back from a back and shoulder workout.

For back i ded deadlifts, t-bar rows and pulldowns, all done in slight variation of HIT, which most of u know what i mean.

All compounds, but for shoulders i did cable laterals 1st, only b/c i dont feel that doing presses hits my side delts as much as i want. Probs b/c of what natural al was saying about tris getting involved alot. So i do cable laterals 1st then Db press, shoulders are pooped.
And i beat my rep target on Db press with a weight i would b using wether i did laterals 1st or not.

davie

It isn't the mountains ah

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2006, 09:22:41 AM »
That article you posted in another thread sounds exactly like what I have been doing. Either way, It seems the results will come due to the simple fact that they are a different way of training than the ways both figgs and I used to do it. One of the first rules to bodybuilding people seem to forget is to always be changing the rules of the game up. I hope to see the results figgs is seeing very soon.

Yeh bro i dont think it has to be set in stone, i mean i pre-exhaust for quads and shoulders b/c i think that the compound 1st doesnt always hit everywer like i want it to (tear drop/side delts).
And i use compounds for 1st and 2nd exercise on all other body parts.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2006, 09:37:26 AM »
Yeah I hear ya. I'm not a fan of the little "dink" movements for my legs. I haven't changed much up when it comes to training them other than more intensity while doing them.  I only do front squats, hacks, and leg presses for them. I feel they grow bigger and stronger and HAVE since I cut out all the leg curls and extensions that I felt were just wasting my time.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2006, 05:05:38 PM »
Chest and back:

total training time: 10 minutes

Chest:
Pec deck- 70 x 7
Incline bench machine (1 arm)- 60 x 7

Back:
Machine pullovers- 140 x 8
Close-grip underhand pulldown- 150 x 6
Deadlifts- 315 x 6

Rating- 9 out of 10

This is the first workout since watching Mike Mentzer's HIT video. Not only did I learn a thing or two from it, but I was also VERY motivated by the film!

All went very well. I would have given my rating a ten if my grip didn't give during my last rep of deadlifts. I need some chalk right away.

I'm really noticing improvements! I really am! It's unbelievable. And I'm still working to perfect my HIT program, so I'm only going to expect it to get even better!

Wickedtruth, although I'm using much lighter weights now, those light weights are increasing very rapidly from workout to workout. It's something to get used to and I might become embarrassed when being seen screaming and turning red from using half the weights I'd normally do, but goddamn this is the way I love to train.
~

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2006, 06:37:56 PM »
Thighs:

Total training time- 5 minutes

Leg extensions- 170x10
Leg press machine- 280 x infinity
I had to switch to full stack to reach failure

Leg curls- 140 (I guess) x 9

Rating- 8 out of 10

I'm a bit dissappointed with this workout because I was being a bitch during those leg extensions. I did reach failure but I was experiencing soo much pain it was almost unbearable! After watching the Mentzer video I tried doing them the way he had his trainee doing them. 5-6 seconds up, 3 second hold and 5-6 seconds down. The burn came fast and only got worse and worse!

After the leg extensions I tried a new machine. A leg press machine of which the seat moves back and forth. I hopped on this one right after those leg extensions and did endless reps with the weight I chose. I then increased only to continue rep after rep. I couldn't take it anymore after about 20 reps and stuck on the full stack and got 3 more reps! I'll know next leg day to use the entire stack for this one.

My leg curls were great. I did one set after warming up my hams with those deep presses and did slow reps, static holds and negatives until I failed on all three lifts. Great set.

My unpreparedness gives me a rating of 8. I feel I did a very good job and will definetely progress from this one workout, but I was a bit psychologically unprepared for that pain during those leg extensions and I went a bit too high in reps on leg presses, but these are learning experiences for me and all that's left is to take note of it and rest until my next workout.
~

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2006, 05:25:12 PM »
Calves

Total training time- 1 minute

Standing calf presses- 180 x 20

Rating- 10

ANOTHER increase!!!!!  ;D
~

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2006, 11:26:38 PM »
Depending on what your cardio looks like, it may actually help you recover.

If it is low intensity, I mean like taking a walk for 40 minutes and working up a little sweat, then it will help you recover.

High-intensity cardio will be like training in some ways though.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2006, 04:40:26 AM »
figgs, I saw a pic of you on the forearm thread over on the G&O board.  I was pretty damn impressed, good job.  I like you're program overall.  I was wondering what your mindset is going into a set and what you do to stay focused during the set.
nasser=piece of shit

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2006, 07:59:32 AM »
Keep up the good work Figgs. I'm on my 3rd week of this high intensity stuff and I'm loving it. I feel thicker, stronger, and look fuller as much as a day after the workouts.  I'm only doing it for another three weeks before going back to my regular routine to see if it made much of a difference. Your thread has helped alot with training decisions and ideas. Keep them coming.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2006, 09:12:07 AM »
figgs, I saw a pic of you on the forearm thread over on the G&O board.  I was pretty damn impressed, good job.  I like you're program overall.  I was wondering what your mindset is going into a set and what you do to stay focused during the set.

Let me answer this on the little big guy's behalf.. "I I you know do those damn weights.. you know I lift them up and then I contract the musel. Then I think of every guy that was abused and you know think to myself how painfull it would have been if I had to go through that slowly so you know I do it very slowly and think of those guys."
just push some weight!

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2006, 09:56:35 AM »
Depending on what your cardio looks like, it may actually help you recover.

If it is low intensity, I mean like taking a walk for 40 minutes and working up a little sweat, then it will help you recover.

High-intensity cardio will be like training in some ways though.

-Hedge

Yeah, I like high intensity cardio. It's all about running as fast as I can for as long as I can.

I think I'm just going to risk it and keep up my cardio the way it is. I just hesitate before running with sore thighs though.

That's a very good question.

You have to gain a specific attitude while training with HIT. You have to be assured that every workout is better than the last. That you can't give any less than 100% effort. And that you will reach your personal goals.

I imagine myself going into battle and waging war with the weights. If I give up short of failure, the weights win the fight. I consider myself Napoleon of the gym. So I'm doing pretty good.  :)

Keep up the good work Figgs. I'm on my 3rd week of this high intensity stuff and I'm loving it. I feel thicker, stronger, and look fuller as much as a day after the workouts.  I'm only doing it for another three weeks before going back to my regular routine to see if it made much of a difference. Your thread has helped alot with training decisions and ideas. Keep them coming.

That's great! I'm glad my log came to be a useful tool for you!   ;D

I'm going back to my normal routine in 4-5 months. I really want to learn as much as I can about HIT before I do
~

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2006, 10:12:20 AM »
Let me answer this on the little big guy's behalf.. "I I you know do those damn weights.. you know I lift them up and then I contract the musel. Then I think of every guy that was abused and you know think to myself how painfull it would have been if I had to go through that slowly so you know I do it very slowly and think of those guys."

I find it hard to compare the pain one feels from HIT to the emotional pain caused by being victimized by abuse.
~

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2006, 10:19:36 AM »
I find it hard to compare the pain one feels from HIT to the emotional pain caused by being victimized by abuse.

I'm sorry. I though it would be appropriate seing how all the squadlings are roaming these boards. Please forgive me champ!
just push some weight!

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2006, 10:39:51 AM »
I'm sorry. I though it would be appropriate seing how all the squadlings are roaming these boards. Please forgive me champ!

The Squad almost had you in their filthy clutches!!

Arnold could never...
~

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2006, 10:45:26 AM »
The Squad almost had you in their filthy clutches!!

Arnold could never...

Never.

And Mentzer could never...

just push some weight!

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2006, 10:49:11 AM »
It was actually Dave Draper who is bodybuilding's most underrated pimp!
~

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2006, 10:59:25 AM »
haha Mentzer and Draper put together still couldn't hold Arnold's candle! :P
just push some weight!

king

• Getbig III
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2006, 12:19:02 PM »
hey figgs how is the progress coming along?.  are you getting stronger in your lifts/are u gaining size?

i've been wanting to try this routine out, but i just cant bring myself to do it, i cant see how it would work as well as a high volume workout..

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2006, 12:25:48 PM »
haha Mentzer and Draper put together still couldn't hold Arnold's candle! :P

There was that one year...
~

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2006, 12:30:55 PM »
hey figgs how is the progress coming along?.  are you getting stronger in your lifts/are u gaining size?

i've been wanting to try this routine out, but i just cant bring myself to do it, i cant see how it would work as well as a high volume workout..

I'm improving as much as I'd ever want to as a natural. HIT is definetely working better than volume training.

You should try it as long as you're able to push your limits.
~

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2006, 12:31:27 PM »
There was that one year...

is that from 79 or 80?
nasser=piece of shit

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2006, 01:12:29 PM »
is that from 79 or 80?

1980, a great year for Mike, physiquewise.
~