Author Topic: On the road to DOMS  (Read 14111 times)

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
Re: On the road to DOMS
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 07:59:26 PM »
so are you saying that you should be sore all the time? i am saying this because if you train while sore then how will the soreness go away?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 10:21:58 PM »
The theory of hypertrophy might have to be rewritten. We all believed that you trained a muscle, then let it adapt and recover, and then you trained it again. Research has shown that this leads to the repeated bout effect. In other words, your muscles get stronger and you will find it increasingly difficult to trigger more hypertrophy. That is exactly what I found. If you cannot get the target muscle sore then it is unlikely to grow much at all. If you can persistently get them sore then you should be able to grow rapidly. The trick is not to let the muscle totally recover. Keep the muscle partly sore and that happens by the 3rd day. Warm up slowly and then do heaps of sets with the maximum resistance. That should sustain the soreness. If you cannot keep the muscle sore then keep trying other things to achieve that state. The lack of soreness following training, is, I believe, evidence of the repeated bout effect. The plain truth is millions of guys are training heavy and hard but few are growing. It is my conjecture that only those who get DOMS consistently will keep growing quickly. I insist that trainees are also gaining body weight.

The idea that you train, rest, recover and train again might be a huge mistake. Consider champion athletes. Do they swim or run every third day or twice a week? No, they train daily yet still make gains. Now, this goes against what we believe in bodybuilding. Who says you have to recover in order to grow? Where is the research about that phenomenon? The trouble is that several bodybuilders, including Mike Mentzer, used Dr Hans Selye's Stress of Life book to build their bodybuilding theories around. It may have been a misunderstanding of how growth occurs in muscles.

As far as I am concerned, I believe absolutely that DOMS is associated with hypertrophy in my body. I assume this is true of other people as well. If I sustain that soreness in a muscle it grows rapidly and I get superstrong very quickly as well.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 02:51:04 AM »
The theory of hypertrophy might have to be rewritten. We all believed that you trained a muscle, then let it adapt and recover, and then you trained it again. Research has shown that this leads to the repeated bout effect. In other words, your muscles get stronger and you will find it increasingly difficult to trigger more hypertrophy. That is exactly what I found. If you cannot get the target muscle sore then it is unlikely to grow much at all. If you can persistently get them sore then you should be able to grow rapidly. The trick is not to let the muscle totally recover. Keep the muscle partly sore and that happens by the 3rd day. Warm up slowly and then do heaps of sets with the maximum resistance. That should sustain the soreness. If you cannot keep the muscle sore then keep trying other things to achieve that state. The lack of soreness following training, is, I believe, evidence of the repeated bout effect. The plain truth is millions of guys are training heavy and hard but few are growing. It is my conjecture that only those who get DOMS consistently will keep growing quickly. I insist that trainees are also gaining body weight.

The idea that you train, rest, recover and train again might be a huge mistake. Consider champion athletes. Do they swim or run every third day or twice a week? No, they train daily yet still make gains. Now, this goes against what we believe in bodybuilding. Who says you have to recover in order to grow? Where is the research about that phenomenon? The trouble is that several bodybuilders, including Mike Mentzer, used Dr Hans Selye's Stress of Life book to build their bodybuilding theories around. It may have been a misunderstanding of how growth occurs in muscles.

As far as I am concerned, I believe absolutely that DOMS is associated with hypertrophy in my body. I assume this is true of other people as well. If I sustain that soreness in a muscle it grows rapidly and I get superstrong very quickly as well.

No offence VINCE, but i presume that now that u know more about training properly than mentzer etc, i take it ur physique is superior to his.

Not bad mouthing u bro its just weird that present pro's and pro's b4 them wer all training wrong, and u r right?!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 03:45:17 AM »
i am open to "new" things but would training sore muscles make it so that you are sore 24/7?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 04:18:31 AM »
No offence VINCE, but i presume that now that u know more about training properly than mentzer etc, i take it ur physique is superior to his.

Not bad mouthing u bro its just weird that present pro's and pro's b4 them wer all training wrong, and u r right?!

davie

Davie,

Since you ask so many questions on this board & clearly are still learning, why the personal stuff? Why try to diminish potentially useful training info by reducing it to a pissing contest based on who has the better physique?

As far as Mentzer's theories, neither he nor anyone else is the last word. That is in fact why Yates used a variation of HIT that included ballistic movements that wasn't espoused by Mentzer.

Maybe you've been fooled by the fact that most of the central figures in HIT, including Mentzer and Arthur Jones, always had such an arrogant self-righteousness about them. Some find it easy to believe that they must've figured out the holy grail of training approaches, when in fact they've only got some very valid parts.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 07:08:56 AM »
Our results strongly support that the myofibrillar and cytoskeletal alterations, considered to be the hallmarks of DOMS, reflect an adaptive remodeling of the myofibrils.
;D
These findings therefore support our previous suggestion that muscle fibres subjected to eccentric contractions adapt to unaccustomed activity by the addition of new sarcomeres
;)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2006, 02:18:58 PM »
to avoid the repeated bout effect you MUST increase volume. i would say only one muscle group per workout lets say  delts. ive you truly train delts for 1-1.5 hours with small rest periods you are garanteed soreness. same with about any bodypart. when you dont get sore doing that you will have to increase to 2hours it should take you a looong time to adapt to that and not get sore. if i did abs for 2 hours straight they actually look ever so slightly different after a workout like that, the split and tear during the workout (growth, or splicing or splitting the muscle)
A

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 02:45:58 PM »
to avoid the repeated bout effect you MUST increase volume.

No. Upping volume is but one form of increased intensity. You must increase intensity to overload the muscle. That can be achieved any number of ways, as seen in the contrast of Arthur Jones' and Vince Gironda's routines.

Besides which, increases in volume has practical limits. Doing 40 sets per muscle can actually be counterproductive.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2006, 04:17:06 PM »
No. Upping volume is but one form of increased intensity. You must increase intensity to overload the muscle. That can be achieved any number of ways, as seen in the contrast of Arthur Jones' and Vince Gironda's routines.

Besides which, increases in volume has practical limits. Doing 40 sets per muscle can actually be counterproductive.
[/quote

but still upping the volume is increasing the intensity. causing adaption to progression of a higher an higher volume routine still with short rest periods as you possibly can without causing injury and still managing to lift a decent-light amount of weight with perfect or good form
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »
We seem to use similar words but have different meanings for them.  There seems to be some incommensurability re various bodybuilding methods and theories. They all cannot be right. At best, most are partly true and mostly false. It seems we are arguing about which method is the best. Pray tell what criterion is used to sort out the methods? It surely cannot be a matter of opinion.

There are many factors in moving systems and they can be notorious to control. That is why scientific studies try to control all the factors relating to experiments. That may be very difficult to do. People vary considerably when doing exercises.

Let us consider a statement made by daddywaddy. Ah, what a noble thing the internet is with all this anonymity. He wrote: "to avoid the repeated bout effect you MUST increase volume."

There are many things one can change re exercises. Resistance, range of movement, concentric or eccentric, speed, form, exercise selection, repetitions, rest, etc. Volume is just one factor out of many that can affect results.

Does increasing volume always lead to more hypertrophy? I wonder. If it did then workouts over a long period of time would take longer and longer to do and eventually one would be working out all day. That is clearly not practical. We can conclude that this factor is not sufficient to generate continuous hypertrophy.

Intensity is a trickier factor. Since it has been defined as the percentage of what one can lift for one maximum rep then it is clear this factor can always be attempted. It appears that doing 1 rep is a very dangerous enterprize for large muscles. Strength might be gained but hypertrophy does not always accompany strength increases. What seems to be important here are thresholds above which hypertrophy is stimulated and below which nothing additional occurs.

We always default to experience when considering various methods. If some advocate extreme conditions we have to assess whether that method is both safe and practical. Clearly getting injured ends the hypertrophy quest. Whatever the ultimate method is it had better be safe. We can conclude that we cannot do just anything that might lead to more hypertrophy. We have to keep our muscles from tearing and being injured. There seems to be some anecdotal reports that high intensity training with very heavy weights and low reps can be dangerous and some bodybuilders have torn muscles. Biceps, pecs, quads, lats, etc. Once you tear a biceps your bodybuilding career will virtually be over. Dorian Yates was given gifts when he competed with a torn biceps. Well, that is my opinion, anyway. The bottom line is no one wants to tear pecs or biceps because they are more or less permanent injuries.

Do some of you fellas comprehend what I have been writing here? Either what I say is right or it is wrong. I am making some controversial statements. From the responses it seems some just don't get it. Someone posted research supporting that DOMS is an indication of hypertrophy. At least severe training using eccentric movements led to hypertrophy in that one study. We need more research to confirm this result.

I am suggesting that we abandon conventional theory about rest and recovery and try to keep the window of growth open by additional training while the muscle has not completely recovered. You see, we have to conjecture here when it should be known what happens in growing muscles. If we knew exactly what was going on and when we would know when to re-stimulate the muscle.

Muscles are part of living systems. If we go back millions of years to when we evolved then perhaps we can speculate about what conditions existed for our ancestors. Suppose someone was starving and got into a bad fight with some animal and lost. Our hungry ancestor would go to bed hungry and wake up sore the next day. Would he be unable to seek food and fight for it because of that soreness? If so then such individuals would surely have died. So it seems that natural selection would have favoured those who could fight even though sore. That means we can function even though our muscles are sore. We can perform at near optimal levels with sore muscles. I conclude, then, that we do have the capacity to grow and adapt in such extreme conditions. What bodybuilding is about is harvesting those extreme conditions and utilizing and controlling them to achieve maximum growth. If I am wrong then we will have to resort to conventional training and argue about sets and reps forever.

Someone suggested that my theories were refuted because I was not as big as those who trained differently. Since I wasn't as big my methods must be inferior. Well, even Mike Mentzer argued against that idea when he debated Arnold. He argued that Arnold didn't know how to train properly even though Arnold was larger. The test of the truth of a bodybuilding theory is in the results. Since 1950s all of this is contaminated because of the use of agents that can be taken to assist or enhance growth. Today, we have no idea how much growth is natural and how much is attributed to drug use. That is really sad for bodybuilding. Nowadays the reckless seem to be rewarded.

I would put my theories up against Mike Mentzer and they can be tested and compared. Let us take a group of identical twins who are bodybuilders. Suppose they all train naturally and all have 17 inch arms. Does anyone here believe you can get one group to gain 1 inch on their arms in a month? That is what DOMS training predicts. I doubt HIT can effect that much hypertrophy in a group in a month. I could be wrong. Where the heck are the experiments to settle these questions?

TheGoldenPrince

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 01:59:13 AM »
Nutrition is everything.
Team Goodrum!

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 02:03:27 AM »
ALWAYS SORE...What do you have to say about this?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 05:18:40 AM »
If DOMS is associated or with rapid growth then the pain is most welcome! Those who have not grown rapidly will be elated to see and feel the rapid hypertrophy. DOMS is pain => growth => satisfaction => more DOMS => more growth =>, etc., etc., =>elation.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 06:40:14 AM »
 author=Vince Basile link=topic=106285.msg1544559#msg1544559 date=1163641335]

Let us consider a statement made by daddywaddy. Ah, what a noble thing the internet is with all this anonymity. He wrote: "to avoid the repeated bout effect you MUST increase volume."

There are many things one can change re exercises. Resistance, range of movement, concentric or eccentric, speed, form, exercise selection, repetitions, rest, etc. Volume is just one factor out of many that can affect results.

Does increasing volume always lead to more hypertrophy? I wonder. If it did then workouts over a long period of time would take longer and longer to do and eventually one would be working out all day. That is clearly not practical. We can conclude that this factor is not sufficient to generate continuous hypertrophy.
--------------------------------------------------
----------
yes workouts still must be intense (with short rest periods) and would have to increase in duration in order to progress. intensity is using a weight and repping it out with as short of rest periods AS POSSIBLE. this is the only alternative. we have all tried hit and were 'intense' and pushed our very hardest on that set....but you need to push your very hardest on MANY sets in a row over a LONG period of time to progress. this is much 'safer' then trying to lift a new maximum weight each workout, and risking injury to get the heavy weight up, im sure we have all been there

A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2006, 06:43:04 AM »
author=Vince Basile link=topic=106285.msg1544559#msg1544559 date=1163641335]

--------------------------------------------------
----------
yes workouts still must be intense (with short rest periods) and would have to increase in duration in order to progress. intensity is using a weight and repping it out with as short of rest periods AS POSSIBLE. this is the only alternative. we have all tried hit and were 'intense' and pushed our very hardest on that set....but you need to push your very hardest on MANY sets in a row over a LONG period of time to progress. this is much 'safer' then trying to lift a new maximum weight each workout, and risking injury to get the heavy weight up, im sure we have all been there

along with an ever increasing duration of a workout with short rest periods for maximal intensity and time under tension, you also need an excessive amount of calories, mainly from fat and carbs
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 03:20:23 PM »
It is always refreshing to hear the opinion of a true expert!

What is intensity? Apparently it means different things to different people. Is daddywaddy right when he advocates "intense (with short rest periods) and would have to increase in duration in order to progress"? He defines 'intensity' as: "intensity is using a weight and repping it out with as short of rest periods AS POSSIBLE".

Larry Scott & Vince Gironda recommended such brutal training. Is that the most effective way to train? Well, few people train that way and yet many top guys are large. Therefore, we can conclude that such training may be used by some to get huge but it is not necessary to do so. It is, then, a sufficient method. We can say the same thing about Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty training. Perhaps a sufficient but not necessary method. Likewise, conventional trainers like Arnold did various volume methods. How is it possible that different methods can generate impressive size? Is there something common to all those methods? We have to conclude they are all doing something similar.

If we take the equation: resistance training/time plus nutrition => hypertrophy, then it is clear that different values can be put in the equation and get the same result. HIT suggests we increase resistance but reduce time. Larry Scott reduces training intervals so gets more tension in the same period of time. Arnold simply labours through but ends up at the same place. Of course the exact formula is much more complicated than depicted.

The problem with reducing intervals to increase 'intensity' is that you end up using less resistance. My solution is to keep the resistance high but rest longer. You do another muscle between sets and usually an opposing muscle. Eg, biceps and triceps. My conjecture is that the amount of high mechanical tension can be best provided by doing many, many maximum sets with a big resistance.

Big muscles are needed to shift a lot of weight a lot of times. That is the bottom line of hypertrophy. Exactly how much is necessary is what is not known. We have a clue about what is sufficient.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2006, 05:35:59 PM »

The problem with reducing intervals to increase 'intensity' is that you end up using less resistance. My solution is to keep the resistance high but rest longer. You do another muscle between sets and usually an opposing muscle. Eg, biceps and triceps. My conjecture is that the amount of high mechanical tension can be best provided by doing many, many maximum sets with a big resistance.

You're at least getting in the right direction by implementing longer resting periods between the sets.

No offence, but you don't seem to know a whole lot about the way muscle fibers work. They either twitch, or they don't. So in order to "stimulate" all muscle fibers, you would need to recover from the previous set completely.

The strongest fibers are also those who works the shortest amount of time, usually 2.5 seconds. Those fibers also need the longest time for recovery.

I suggest you take into account how muscle fibers work. That is one reason why HIT never worked, it didn't allow the fibers to recover for the next excersise.
As empty as paradise

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2006, 07:06:21 PM »
Well, Hedgehog, show me where the lads on HST come up with effective programs? They seem to know heaps of stuff about the details of muscles. There are two ways to approach training. Perhaps combining both is the best way to go. One is to read the research and exercise physiology books on muscles. The other is to train by trial and error and evolve a method. After almost 47 years training I am starting to know my muscles. I don't have to read anything to train effectively. By simple experience you can see how long you have to rest to be able to repeat the same number of reps in a maximum lift. That amount of time is about 3 minutes + - 1 minute. I am talking about 8 to 10 reps. If you go heavier you might need to rest longer. The trouble with resting too long is that the pump is not facilitated. So somewhere between 2 and 3 minutes rest seems about right.

Whatever one comes up with through experience, it should agree with research findings. If it does not, then there is something wrong about your method.

I made statements about DOMS and then found my conclusions were consistent with research. Well, the research was consistent with what I found because my theory preceeded the evidence. If the research contradicted my theory that would require that I explain it and if I could not I would have to change or abandon my theory. We all know that most of us would rather do anything else than abandon our cherished beliefs about training! I wonder why so many equate training theories with intelligence? If someone beats you at chess it means they are a better chess player and not necessarily smarter. If someone has a better theory of hypertrophy he will never get any credit on these discussion boards! That is what makes participating a waste of time and energy.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2006, 08:21:34 PM »
Well, Hedgehog, show me where the lads on HST come up with effective programs? They seem to know heaps of stuff about the details of muscles. There are two ways to approach training. Perhaps combining both is the best way to go. One is to read the research and exercise physiology books on muscles. The other is to train by trial and error and evolve a method. After almost 47 years training I am starting to know my muscles. I don't have to read anything to train effectively. By simple experience you can see how long you have to rest to be able to repeat the same number of reps in a maximum lift. That amount of time is about 3 minutes + - 1 minute. I am talking about 8 to 10 reps. If you go heavier you might need to rest longer. The trouble with resting too long is that the pump is not facilitated. So somewhere between 2 and 3 minutes rest seems about right.

Whatever one comes up with through experience, it should agree with research findings. If it does not, then there is something wrong about your method.

I made statements about DOMS and then found my conclusions were consistent with research. Well, the research was consistent with what I found because my theory preceeded the evidence. If the research contradicted my theory that would require that I explain it and if I could not I would have to change or abandon my theory. We all know that most of us would rather do anything else than abandon our cherished beliefs about training! I wonder why so many equate training theories with intelligence? If someone beats you at chess it means they are a better chess player and not necessarily smarter. If someone has a better theory of hypertrophy he will never get any credit on these discussion boards! That is what makes participating a waste of time and energy.

Sorry for coming across a bit harsh.

My point is, that either a muscle fiber has recovered and can work, or it cannot. It cannot work "a little bit".

This needs to be taken into account, and HST doesn't, it appears.

Few but heavy sets, with long rest periods, instead of the shorter rest period that is recommended in traditional training, and HST.

Look at the biggest powerlifters and how they train. Usually long rests between sets.

It's a suggestion for you to look into. I did it, and I am getting good results from it.

And I definitely agree with you about how hard it is to admit you're wrong.

I used to be really into HIT a couple of years ago... Oh brother... :-[

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2006, 09:25:56 PM »

Big muscles are needed to shift a lot of weight a lot of times. That is the bottom line of hypertrophy. Exactly how much is necessary is what is not known. We have a clue about what is sufficient.

using more weight and resting 'slightly' longer is comparable to less weight rest shorter. they are kinda the same thing if you catch my drift. more then likely the same poundage total lifted in a givin period of time will be roughly the same with either method...........so to progress use either method but continually increase volume . this requires more nutrient demands, more need to repair,more EFFORT to do a LONGER routine...Its not practical but getting to the 'ultimate huge/ripped level of bodybuilding' is not practical (for time constraints)
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 09:27:58 PM »
using more weight and resting 'slightly' longer is comparable to less weight rest shorter. they are kinda the same thing if you catch my drift. more then likely the same poundage total lifted in a givin period of time will be roughly the same with either method...........so to progress use either method but continually increase volume . this requires more nutrient demands, more need to repair,more EFFORT to do a LONGER routine...Its not practical but getting to the 'ultimate huge/ripped level of bodybuilding' is not practical (for time constraints)

this is similar to 'muscle maturaty' as we get older our muscles can look ever so sligtly different in size and vascularity , seperation ect. the more you train , the more you mature a muscle
A

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2006, 02:55:52 AM »
Hedge i am pretty into training similar to HIT (apart from i begin workouts with power moves, cleans etc), i feel its fairly solid, and i kinda agree that u can train hard or u can train long, u just cant do both....and it takes hard work to build muscles.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2006, 06:56:59 AM »
using more weight and resting 'slightly' longer is comparable to less weight rest shorter. they are kinda the same thing if you catch my drift. more then likely the same poundage total lifted in a givin period of time will be roughly the same with either method...........
Resting shorter or longer with different weight is supposed to be the same, but it's worth trying both to see the differences. I'm going to have to go back and give 2 minute rests another chance instead of a minute and see what happens. Tried it and didn't like losing the pump, the absence of which removes some of the emotional engagement and seems to increase the possibility of injury IMO.

It would be helpful if any experiences are shared here, going forward.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2006, 07:39:23 AM »
do you guys not agree that , whatever 'method' takes the most 'effort' will probably work the best?....this means short restperiods everyset to FAILURE over a long ass grueling workout, it doesnt get any harder than that
A

homer77

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2006, 08:19:40 AM »
Do you have any EXPERIENCE with training or do you just regurgitate the "studies" and crap articles you read off the web? Training is done in the gym not from a book or the internet. Years of lifting the iron make you an expert.
bump!
real experts come from years of active learning.  i argued with my exercise phys teacher every day in college.  She was all book knowlwdge.  BS. 
i have trained to failure for 10 years and have had DOMS every freakin day (different parts).  I think my size and strength speak for themselves.