Author Topic: pit bulls are sick  (Read 44632 times)

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: pit bulls are sick
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2006, 03:16:59 PM »

A pitbull in true form should be between 35 and 70 lbs.  They may now be recognized to be shown at a higher weight but fighters would never use a dog that large. Which is good, we need more 70 plus pound pits!

Little out of touch with the showing of pits. I still was under the impression pits where not recognized to be shown in shows. I thought it was only staffy's still!

The AKC does not recognize the american pit bull terrier but the UKC does.  The big dog shows are not run by the UKC though and therefore when we watch the westminster or the eukanuba we only see "staffies."

body88

« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2006, 03:24:30 PM »
The AKC does not recognize the american pit bull terrier but the UKC does.  The big dog shows are not run by the UKC though and therefore when we watch the westminster or the eukanuba we only see "staffies."

Right, that was as much as I knew about showing pits. I figured the ukc showed them but was not sure. I was never much into the showing side of things.

Thanks for the update traps. I am going to read up on it. Btw carved traps can help you also. He knows a ton about pits and has great information.

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2006, 03:43:14 PM »

Btw carved traps can help you also. He knows a ton about pits and has great information.

awesome, thanks for the info guys, this thread is turning out to be a great source... i had originally looked inot the ABs but didnt realize how large some of them could become... there really is a big dif between owning a 120lb dog and a 70lb dog... ist there?... which is why ive now been trying to limit my search to APBT breeders that try to stay as close to standard as possible...

that pic of the scott AB, is incredible.... look at the vien from his ear that runs down into his chest.... amazing

body88

« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2006, 03:51:31 PM »
You are making the right decision. Stick to the original breed standard. If you look more into Scott American bulls let me know.

Either way, just do research and you will be good to go.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2006, 03:52:55 PM »
I know its tempting to go to a breeder, but i gaurantee that your local SPCA or BADRAP.ORG have some great APBT right in the size you are looking for.  

That being said, go to game-dog.com and i am sure you can get some fine information about breeders in your area.

body88

« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2006, 03:53:48 PM »
I know its tempting to go to a breeder, but i gaurantee that your local SPCA or BADRAP.ORG have some great APBT right in the size you are looking for.  

That being said, go to game-dog.com and i am sure you can get some fine information about breeders in your area.

Very true. You can find fantastic pits at the spca.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2006, 06:28:11 PM »
I jst asked my daughter and she said Meathead was Old English Mastiff.  Her mom breeds Labradors. I am getting some pics of him if she has them.  Hopefully they are when he was big

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2006, 07:38:51 PM »
awesome, thanks for the info guys, this thread is turning out to be a great source... i had originally looked inot the ABs but didnt realize how large some of them could become... there really is a big dif between owning a 120lb dog and a 70lb dog... ist there?... which is why ive now been trying to limit my search to APBT breeders that try to stay as close to standard as possible...

that pic of the scott AB, is incredible.... look at the vien from his ear that runs down into his chest.... amazing

I've got two Scott/Hines bitches.  One a six year old 90 lb dog, and her 10 month old granddaughter who is 78 lbs.  Both are great animals, EXTREMELY high prey drives, EXTREMELY high pain tolerance, EXTREMELY athletic, EXTREME endurance, and loyal to the end.  Did I also say that the line from Loki's Von Sanctuary/Bossman/Kombat have proven to be DEAD game.  That is what I want in a dog. 

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2006, 08:11:22 PM »
Did I also say that the line from Loki's Von Sanctuary/Bossman/Kombat have proven to be DEAD game.   

confused as to what this means

another q for anyone: whats the deal with cropping the ears... can you opt not to crop a dogs ears?

Forbidden

• Getbig III
  • Live well, laugh often, love much
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2006, 08:12:12 PM »
that dog is not an american pit bull terrier.  It is a "cur" or essentially a dog that has been bred for size.  Pretty dog yes, but hardly of the athletic nature of an american pit bull terrier.
That is absolutely not a pit, looks more like an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier with cropped ears and huge and a little short and stocky.  Very nice looking dog all the same.  I breed English Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

body88

« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2006, 08:13:36 PM »
Don't do it. There is no need for it. It was done with pits so there ears would not be ripped off in fights. No need for it now. I was going to do it but, I decided against it.  Glad I did not do it, it is unnecessary.

body88

« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2006, 08:14:12 PM »
That is absolutely not a pit, looks more like an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier with cropped ears and huge and a little short and stocky.  Very nice looking dog all the same.  I breed English Staffordshire Bull Terriers.

That is a pit with some American bull bred into it for size.

body88

« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2006, 08:14:58 PM »
confused as to what this means

another q for anyone: whats the deal with cropping the ears... can you opt not to crop a dogs ears?

Speaking of a dogs lineage.

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2006, 08:29:37 PM »

Speaking of a dogs lineage.

but "dead game"

yeah, always kinda liked the non cropped look more....

found this video...

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2006, 08:37:29 PM »
... wow

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2006, 08:42:46 PM »
same guys, but even more amazing... at the end they do this thing they call "the circle of trust" is that there bare hands?

Forbidden

• Getbig III
« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2006, 09:37:38 PM »

That is a pit with some American bull bred into it for size.

Sorry have to totally disagree with you here, it would be taller if it had American in it!!

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2006, 12:38:07 AM »

3 cups in the am. 3 cups at night. He goes through a large bag every 5 or six weeks. He is lean and growing right now. I can just see the slightest hint of his ribs when he walks. Which is about the perfect condition. He has a good deal of muscle at this point. I think he will gain another 10 - 15. He will grow until he is 3 years old.

Damn,I figured it would be much more than that.Probably a good thing you are regulating it.Something tells me that if you just left a full bowl all the time,like many people do,that moose would eat you into the poor house. ;) hahaha

body88

« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2006, 05:54:17 AM »
Lol, you are right on that one. He gets some snack also so I figure with his current condition and growth pattern he is eating just about the perfect amount.

body88

« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2006, 05:58:07 AM »
Sorry have to totally disagree with you here, it would be taller if it had American in it!!

You could be right. But, American bulls vary in height also. Some Scott's are rather tall while others strains can be  more compact(especially hybrids). Take a look at my johnson/Scott pup. He is 10 months old here.About 90% of his full height. He weighs 81 lbs in this picture. He will gain another 10 - 15 lbs. Either way we can agree that pit had something bred into its lines for size. Can you post some pics of your studs and pups? I was looking into a miniature bull terrier. Female.

I wonder how big my pup will get. His sire is around 95 lbs. american bulls are not full gorwn until  almost 3 years old!

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2006, 06:05:35 AM »
I fucking love the way he looks like hes your best friend and companion but he will give his life for you  if he had to...awsume!
?

body88

« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2006, 06:12:14 AM »
I fucking love the way he looks like hes your best friend and companion but he will give his life for you  if he had to...awsume!

Thanks for the compliment bro. Frankie is all smiles and genuinely loves people. He is very close to me and you can tell he has formed a strong bond, since I picked him up when he was a baby. He loves to investigate. The greatest companion I could have wished for.

What you said is 100 percent correct. When I am watching TV he lays between me and the door always. He protects my girlfriend the same way. He will come right up and lay next to me putting his head on my arm. But if there is the slightest noise outside, he is up and on full guard. If someone knocks at the door it sounds like there is a full grown grizzly behind the door. But when he investigates and sees the situation is accepted by me, he is all smiles and goofing around again.

He absolutely loves my 4 year old nephew. He thinks he is his littermate. he will be 1 year old  next month. The second growth spurt is coming. I am interested to see the changes he will go through.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2006, 11:20:46 AM »
what kind of food do you use body?  We use the raw instincts kind, its expensive as shit, but well worth it.

body88

« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2006, 12:17:06 PM »
Natural choice, chicken, rice and outmeal formula. Sometimes I let him have raw meals. I think it is about 33 bucks for the large breed puppy formula.  

Is the brand you posted about available at petco?

Forbidden

• Getbig III
« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2006, 01:15:29 PM »
You could be right. But, American bulls vary in height also. Some Scott's are rather tall while others strains can be  more compact(especially hybrids). Take a look at my johnson/Scott pup. He is 10 months old here.About 90% of his full height. He weighs 81 lbs in this picture. He will gain another 10 - 15 lbs. Either way we can agree that pit had something bred into its lines for size. Can you post some pics of your studs and pups? I was looking into a miniature bull terrier. Female.

I wonder how big my pup will get. His sire is around 95 lbs. american bulls are not full gorwn until  almost 3 years old!

Ooohhh he is soooo cute!