Author Topic: I Purchased a Fender ***PICS ADDED 2nd page***  (Read 6309 times)

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
Re: I Purchased a Fender ***PICS ADDED 2nd page***
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2006, 03:58:16 PM »

Fender is a strange company.  They overprice the strats and underprice the telecaster.  The Telecaster is ten times the guitar the strat is.

There's too many Strats IMO. John Mayer has a fucking sig model?!?!

$

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2006, 04:00:58 PM »
Each guitar is different, serves a different purpose.
I own a '51 Gibson ES-350, and it's a great jazz guitar (not as good as an L5, Byrdland, or Super 400), and good for blues of the jump era, or backing a harmonica.
I have a 56 Reissue Gold Top Les Paul with P-90's. Great pre-war blues guitar, again backing a harmonica and that sort of stuff.
I have a 98 335 reissue. Nice guitar, beautiful blonde finish, but the tone isn't that great. I took out the stock pickups, which are extremely bright and replaced them with Seth Lovers, and that helped, but overall I've never been really happy with it.
I have a custom made strat, which I made myself with parts I bought. Not really that great for the sound I want when I play a strat. It can have it's moments though.
By far my favorite guitar is my 63 Epiphone Riviera. Prior to Gibson buying Epiphone, the company made some great guitars. This is one of them, along with Sheratons and a few others. Mine has mini-humbuckers. This is my first wife, similar to SRV's number one. Whatever I hear in my head and want to reproduce, this guitar will do it and at the drop of a hat. I just know how to manipulate it perfectly.
Certain guitars have a feel to them, like an old pair of shoes. Sometimes, you get a sound that you hear in your head, and no matter what you do you can't do anything to get a good sound from a rig, then hear a tape of the gig, and it sounds exactly how you wanted it-completely different from what you heard on the gig. 

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2006, 04:08:54 PM »
are those p 90 single coils or humbuckers you're referring to on the les paul?

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2006, 04:16:17 PM »
There's too many Strats IMO. John Mayer has a fucking sig model?!?!

John mayer is not as good as everyone thinks he is.  Decent songwriter, yes (even though i don't like his songs, i recognize his perfect pop sensibility), but not that great of a guitar player.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2006, 04:34:36 PM »
are those p 90 single coils or humbuckers you're referring to on the les paul?

They're single coils. This was Gibsons main pick-up prior to the PAF humbuckers coming out. Good sound, I've always liked, but they've fallen out of favor with many due to them easily picking up noise from lights and signs (60cycle hum).

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2006, 04:48:16 PM »
I prefer the harmonic minor actually. It's nice to play an altered minor chord as well. A very cool sound, and you can move it in minor thirds....so you're technically playing in three keys at once. Each sound you are going for in your head, will provide a different color vs. the rest of the band playing a different angle against yours.

Can you upload a file of your playing, especially the one over different altered chords?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2006, 04:53:18 PM »
Don't have any files of my playing. Need advice playing over altered chords? Coming from a background that looked at dissonant tones as being "bad," I finally realized how to play over chords while using altered tones. 

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2006, 05:03:55 PM »
John mayer is not as good as everyone thinks he is.  Decent songwriter, yes (even though i don't like his songs, i recognize his perfect pop sensibility), but not that great of a guitar player.

he actually doesn't write his songs either.

btw a Bruce Springstein Relic Tele would be awesome
$

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2006, 05:26:19 PM »
he actually doesn't write his songs either.

btw a Bruce Springstein Relic Tele would be awesome

I'm pretty sure he writes his stuff... there's no way a guy with that average of a voice would be getting songs written for him.  I mean, he's credited as the writer on his albums.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2006, 04:39:47 AM »
So, when will you smarten up and start playing Yngwie songs on that guitar?

When you're even smarter, you'll start playing Dream Theater.

You will be god the day you play like Petrucci.

;D

Then, when you are in heaven, you're playing jazz.

I remember telling Power Rod on AIM that I was scalloping my fretboard and he didn't like that one bit.
$

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2006, 04:50:42 AM »