Author Topic: Serge Nubret is here  (Read 702386 times)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Serge Nubret is here
« Reply #1825 on: November 14, 2008, 04:11:05 PM »
thanks Jim, I'll try the volume approach for a while, when I do heavy lifting my strenght shoots through the roof but I can't FEEL it stimulating any growth
I don't know if that makes sense or if anybody else experiences it
I'll give this a try, I like working volume alot better than heavy ass weights anyways
I love that pump  ;D

It makes perfect sense actually and yes the pump is an indicator of growth.

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
« Reply #1826 on: November 14, 2008, 09:11:42 PM »
getbig has heavy respect for you, serge

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #1827 on: November 15, 2008, 09:55:10 PM »
All that matters is that you break down the muscle thru some kind of resistance.

Now, we all know that Milo's guy all train like pussies with real light weights.  ::) If anyone out there thinks that my buddy did not stimulate growth then they need to quit lifting and find another hobby like posting on Getbig or something.  :P

But the load is important too. I know guys like Milos say it's unimportant but even he doesn't really believe it himself (judging by the loads he has used - like when he tore his quads). Do you know about the "CrossFit" fad? It "breaks down" tons of muscle and a few beginners have even suffered rhabdomyolysis because of it. Same with other sports like running where even less tension is produced due to low loads. But I'm sure you wouldn't say CrossFit is as good for building muscle as weight training at higher loads and fewer reps - despite the CrossFit training "breaking down" more muscle tissue.

So do you really believe that "All that matters is that you break down the muscle thru some kind of resistance"?

For optimal growth the load has to be high enough so the reps fall in reasonable range. If load wasn't important there wouldn't be a reason to go to the gym at all. Just do push-ups and the like at home.

Kevin Fan

« Reply #1828 on: November 15, 2008, 10:11:29 PM »
But the load is important too. I know guys like Milos say it's unimportant but even he doesn't really believe it himself (judging by the loads he has used - like when he tore his quads). Do you know about the "CrossFit" fad? It "breaks down" tons of muscle and a few beginners have even suffered rhabdomyolysis because of it. Same with other sports like running where even less tension is produced due to low loads. But I'm sure you wouldn't say CrossFit is as good for building muscle as weight training at higher loads and fewer reps - despite the CrossFit training "breaking down" more muscle tissue.

So do you really believe that "All that matters is that you break down the muscle thru some kind of resistance"?

For optimal growth the load has to be high enough so the reps fall in reasonable range. If load wasn't important there wouldn't be a reason to go to the gym at all. Just do push-ups and the like at home.
at 7:10 Kevin Levrone says
he's doing 12 reps with 405 which is equal to benching 500 for a couple of reps
cuz he doesn't wanna risk injury in the week leading up to the contest
now if I can get the same stimulus from 12 reps with out the injury chance, why not take it..IMO
and I think for me that volume works better than heavy weights
when I started a volume workout I gained 1 inch on my arms with in a month then I switched to heavy weights
doing barbell curls with 155 pounds for reps and tricep extensions with 300 pounds for reps
and I lost 2 inches on my arms... ???

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #1829 on: November 15, 2008, 10:20:20 PM »
Hello everybody, my name is Paolo Iommi, and I am a great friend and collaborator of Serge.

Yesterday Serge was invited to join to your Forum from a fan, and Serge ask me to help him with the registration to your site/put the profile photo, etc..etc... I sent him username, password and links of that topic. From now he will write here and answer to all his fans. You can write in english or french as well.
If you want to contact Serge in private you can send a PM or send a mail trought his new site http://www.sergenubret.com page "Contact". I saw that this forum is very similar to the forum of Ironage that Serge is already a member, so it will be easy for him to start! Thank you every body. Paolo from Italy

Ok Serge... I finished my job
A+

Serge,

Why didn't you punk Arnold when you had the chance?

That bitch was backed by Weider and you were held down by the man.

You should have outed that Austrian for the G4P bitch that he was during that time.

Living in Weider's mansion, doing all the posing and shit that has shown up in the gay mags....

This is Arnold........

You should have stepped on him when you had the chance.   >:(

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #1830 on: November 15, 2008, 10:28:56 PM »
at 7:10 Kevin Levrone says
he's doing 12 reps with 405 which is equal to benching 500 for a couple of reps
cuz he doesn't wanna risk injury in the week leading up to the contest
now if I can get the same stimulus from 12 reps with out the injury chance, why not take it..IMO

I don't know how that was a reply or argument against what I said. I agree with Levrone there. The 12 reps falls well within the "reasonable rep range" I talked about. However, say you do a 100 reps total in a giant set with "light" loads it's not stimulating growth as well as "heavy" sets like Levrone's 405 bench. You'll be breaking down tons of muscle but if the tension isn't relatively high it's not going to cause much growth - if it did, marathoners would be huge. After all, they break down tons of muscle. It can be beneficial to do that type of training too (giant sets for example); you get what is called sarcoplasmic growth, and cosmetically it obviously helps a bodybuilder.

Load isn't unimportant and nobody REALLY believes it is. There's still a pretty high injury risk with 405 on the bench. If Levrone thought load wasn't important he would use even less weight.

And saying "heavy" training and load progression is important doesn't mean you should use bad form. Not at all.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #1831 on: November 15, 2008, 10:36:58 PM »
Serge,

Why didn't you punk Arnold when you had the chance?

That bitch was backed by Weider and you were held down by the man.

You should have outed that Austrian for the G4P bitch that he was during that time.

Living in Weider's mansion, doing all the posing and shit that has shown up in the gay mags....

This is Arnold........

You should have stepped on him when you had the chance.   >:(

DIV

If you think Serge should have beaten Arnold, name the contests and explain why. Otherwise, this sounds like a very bitter post with little merit to the accusations.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #1832 on: November 15, 2008, 11:02:10 PM »
I don't know how that was a reply or argument against what I said. I agree with Levrone there. The 12 reps falls well within the "reasonable rep range" I talked about. However, say you do a 100 reps total in a giant set with "light" loads it's not stimulating growth as well as "heavy" sets like Levrone's 405 bench. You'll be breaking down tons of muscle but if the tension isn't relatively high it's not going to cause much growth - if it did, marathoners would be huge. After all, they break down tons of muscle. It can be beneficial to do that type of training too (giant sets for example); you get what is called sarcoplasmic growth, and cosmetically it obviously helps a bodybuilder.

Load isn't unimportant and nobody REALLY believes it is. There's still a pretty high injury risk with 405 on the bench. If Levrone thought load wasn't important he would use even less weight.

And saying "heavy" training and load progression is important doesn't mean you should use bad form. Not at all.
by all means
Kevin Levrone always trained heavy
he said if he doesn't train heavy it makes him not wanna train at all
12 reps is NOT heavy
405 me and you can't do once but for Levrone it's relatively light weight if he can do 12 reps with it
heavy weight = only a max of a couple of reps before failure
Levrone always did say he is big cuz he is strong, that doesn't explain the scrawny powerlifters who lift huge amounts but are still
VERY SMALL 

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1833 on: November 15, 2008, 11:08:37 PM »

Van your examples are flawed. I do think that all that matters is resistance "IN WEIGHT TRAINING". Running is not a good example since there is no real range of motion. I could take a big stick and slam you in the arm and break down muscle tissue, not the same thing correct?
Again, whether you call it load, resistance or weight its all the same when it comes to weight training. You must have enough weight in a particular exercise along with a rep range, speed of rep and rest between sets to break a muscle down, all within a certain parameter of course.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #1834 on: November 16, 2008, 02:20:35 AM »
I do not agree with your example Van

The reason being is : giant 100 rep sets are one thing ....marathon running is a diff ball game ... and Serge's high volume is completely different ... My impression comes after 18 years of training both heavy and moderate -light and high volume .

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #1835 on: November 16, 2008, 06:03:37 AM »

Van your examples are flawed. I do think that all that matters is resistance "IN WEIGHT TRAINING". Running is not a good example since there is no real range of motion. I could take a big stick and slam you in the arm and break down muscle tissue, not the same thing correct?
Again, whether you call it load, resistance or weight its all the same when it comes to weight training. You must have enough weight in a particular exercise along with a rep range, speed of rep and rest between sets to break a muscle down, all within a certain parameter of course.

The reason being is : giant 100 rep sets are one thing ....marathon running is a diff ball game ... and Serge's high volume is completely different ... My impression comes after 18 years of training both heavy and moderate -light and high volume .

Yes the comparison was intentionally ridiculous since many say the load doesn't matter AT ALL basically. The CrossFit example wasn't as ridiculous as the marathon example though, and they even claim that it's better than regular gym training, at least for natural bodybuilders.

So like you say Disgusted, the load has to be within a certain reasonable parameter. You don't grow lifting 2lb dumbells, no matter how hard you can make the exercise feel. It doesn't take many seconds to make bodyweight squats feel extremely heavy but no bodybuilder does bodyweight exercises only.

I'm basically in the Doggcrapp camp (despite him being a douchebag at times) - load progression matters, all other factors being equal. If you increase your loads by hundreds of pounds in the 20 rep squat, for example, your quads are going to grow more than staying at the same load.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #1836 on: November 16, 2008, 06:20:51 AM »
by all means
Kevin Levrone always trained heavy
he said if he doesn't train heavy it makes him not wanna train at all
12 reps is NOT heavy
405 me and you can't do once but for Levrone it's relatively light weight if he can do 12 reps with it
heavy weight = only a max of a couple of reps before failure
Levrone always did say he is big cuz he is strong, that doesn't explain the scrawny powerlifters who lift huge amounts but are still
VERY SMALL 

See, this is why we don't agree. You don't think 12 rep sets are heavy. To me it's heavy if you use loads that challenge you. I'm sure Levrone could use 225 or 315 where he squeezed the weight slowly and it would be real challenging, perhaps after pre-exhausting the pecs before hand... but it's just not the same as using a bit higher load.

Heavy to me does not mean cheating and doing singles or triples.

The powerlifter comparison has been discussed endlessly here before, but Levrone, and any other pro has real strong quads, stronger than the scrawny powerlifters. The reason a powerlifter might lift more is angles (how your body is built), technique etc. Muscularly bodybuilders are real strong - would beat the small powerlifters most of the time. Who do you think would do more on the 20 rep leg extension, J Pegg or Ronnie Coleman?

ASJChaotic

« Reply #1837 on: November 16, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »
See, this is why we don't agree. You don't think 12 rep sets are heavy. To me it's heavy if you use loads that challenge you. I'm sure Levrone could use 225 or 315 where he squeezed the weight slowly and it would be real challenging, perhaps after pre-exhausting the pecs before hand... but it's just not the same as using a bit higher load.

Heavy to me does not mean cheating and doing singles or triples.

The powerlifter comparison has been discussed endlessly here before, but Levrone, and any other pro has real strong quads, stronger than the scrawny powerlifters. The reason a powerlifter might lift more is angles (how your body is built), technique etc. Muscularly bodybuilders are real strong - would beat the small powerlifters most of the time. Who do you think would do more on the 20 rep leg extension, J Pegg or Ronnie Coleman?

does fatigue mean overload? will using up the fuel in your muscle before it is fully worked mean you have overloaded them?
no   ;)

as for the powerlifter example, bad example since Ronnie is stronger than J Pegg  ;D
800 pounds = "light weight".....he screams so himself  :D

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #1838 on: November 16, 2008, 10:16:07 AM »
as for the powerlifter example, bad example since Ronnie is stronger than J Pegg  ;D
800 pounds = "light weight".....he screams so himself  :D

Yes, Ronnie is stronger. He is also bigger. Big surprise there.  :D Both could lay claim to an 800lb squat but there is a vast difference in execution, equipment used, etc. That's why the "scrawny powerlifters being stronger" is a poor argument. I know powerlifters with a 440lb raw "bodybuilding squat" yet a 700+ competition squat.

I would also venture to guess that Milos had a comparatively strong squat compared to bench or row and his quads were his best bodypart probably.

Another example I thought of: Levrone injured his back and could no longer do the heavy squats. What happened to his thighs?

Load matters.  8)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1839 on: November 16, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »
Yes the comparison was intentionally ridiculous since many say the load doesn't matter AT ALL basically. The CrossFit example wasn't as ridiculous as the marathon example though, and they even claim that it's better than regular gym training, at least for natural bodybuilders.

So like you say Disgusted, the load has to be within a certain reasonable parameter. You don't grow lifting 2lb dumbells, no matter how hard you can make the exercise feel. It doesn't take many seconds to make bodyweight squats feel extremely heavy but no bodybuilder does bodyweight exercises only.

I'm basically in the Doggcrapp camp (despite him being a douchebag at times) - load progression matters, all other factors being equal. If you increase your loads by hundreds of pounds in the 20 rep squat, for example, your quads are going to grow more than staying at the same load.

I totally agree that "load progression matters" Again within cetain parameters. Of course on one is going to grow from doing one rep sets and same with 100 reps sets "IF"!! they use such a light weight they are not stimulating the muscle and taking too long rest betweem sets. If anyone here thinks that they way Serge trains is not load progression then they are not doing the workout properly. For example: lets you you are doing 10 sets of 12 reps on the bicep curl machine and you are using the same resistance thru out the sets. Lets assume that the first set although not extremley light it's is also pretty easy to perform. There is definatley load progression invovled in that 10 sets assuming that you are not resting too long between sets.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #1840 on: November 16, 2008, 11:46:52 AM »
I totally agree that "load progression matters" Again within cetain parameters. Of course on one is going to grow from doing one rep sets and same with 100 reps sets "IF"!! they use such a light weight they are not stimulating the muscle and taking too long rest betweem sets. If anyone here thinks that they way Serge trains is not load progression then they are not doing the workout properly. For example: lets you you are doing 10 sets of 12 reps on the bicep curl machine and you are using the same resistance thru out the sets. Lets assume that the first set although not extremley light it's is also pretty easy to perform. There is definatley load progression invovled in that 10 sets assuming that you are not resting too long between sets.
resting too long is more than a minute?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1841 on: November 16, 2008, 11:58:23 AM »
resting too long is more than a minute?

With that particular example that I gave pretty much. Actually that is that way I do my bi's. Now, the first 2 to 3 sets are prob more like 30 to 40 sec rest. A lot of times I add a plate each set too. Botom line is that when I am done my arms are fried and a lot of times I can not even bring the water bottle up to my mouth without getting a cramp in my non exisitent forarms and biceps.

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #1842 on: November 16, 2008, 03:36:13 PM »

Haha 18 years ...........wtf have you been doing all those years? 

ASJChaotic

« Reply #1843 on: November 16, 2008, 05:39:06 PM »
in serge's program
30+ sets just for chest?  ???  :o
would you not get the same result from 10 sets?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1844 on: November 16, 2008, 07:05:50 PM »
in serge's program
30+ sets just for chest?  ???  :o
would you not get the same result from 10 sets?

You would robabley get good results with 10 to 12 sets.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #1845 on: November 16, 2008, 07:09:21 PM »
You would robabley get good results with 10 to 12 sets.
when I read all the pages in this thread (cuz Serge is a legend  8) )
he said you only need 1/3 the amount of sets to grow....and something about him being a farm chicken and not a
factory chicken  ;D ...and to burn extra calories since he didn't do any cardio

serge nubret

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #1846 on: November 16, 2008, 09:02:41 PM »

serge nubret

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #1847 on: November 16, 2008, 09:03:40 PM »

serge nubret

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #1848 on: November 16, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »
Serge showing us how to use a cutting edge product from the late 60's.

It seems to be a version of "The Developer."

Eh!...Guys don't forget that's only ads.

Serge Nubret
http://www.sergenubret.com
http://www.sergenubret.com/muscleawards
http://www.sergenubret.com/personaltrainer

serge nubret

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #1849 on: November 16, 2008, 09:06:10 PM »
Hi Serge,

Esmat Sadiq sends his regards … and always talks about how good and knowledgeable of a trainer you are

Tell him hello for me.

Serge Nubret
http://www.sergenubret.com
http://www.sergenubret.com/muscleawards
http://www.sergenubret.com/personaltrainer