Author Topic: To make muscles grow  (Read 5827 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
To make muscles grow
« on: December 08, 2006, 03:57:02 PM »
most people have simple patterns of weightlifting and expect to either periodize there muscle gains or just simply be able to lift bigger weight from month to month

it is instictive to try heavier poundage and add in an extra set or the reverse, taking a day off or a lay off, and i think we have all tried either way

i challenge you all to quadruple you volume or sets per bodypart.. if you are used to doing 20 sets try 60 and i garantee you will see a difference, it requires alot more effort. but it is your mind that controls when to give up after 20 sets!
A

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: To make muscles grow
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 04:18:25 PM »

i challenge you all to quadruple you volume or sets per bodypart.. if you are used to doing 20 sets try 60 and i garantee you will see a difference, it requires alot more effort. but it is your mind that controls when to give up after 20 sets!
Definitely good to shock the muscles, but there are many more ways to do it that something crazy like 60 sets.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 04:35:42 PM »
20 quadrupled = 80

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 05:35:37 PM »
good one genius.  ever hear of volume training?
Deep Tissue Massage

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 05:43:50 PM »
good one genius.  ever hear of volume training?

Volome training isn't 60 or 80 sets unless you're mentally ill like one Steve Michalik.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 06:19:44 PM »
Sup.

I train 40 minutes a week.

Try doing one of my HIT workouts. I guarantee you'd abandon a set before the final 3 reps.
~

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 06:44:11 PM »
Sup.

I train 40 minutes a week.

Great, but obviously misleading. Should read: "I do 40 of the most agonizing, gruelling minutes imaginable. Trust me it's great". ;)

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 07:18:42 PM »
Great, but obviously misleading. Should read: "I do 40 of the most agonizing, gruelling minutes imaginable. Trust me it's great". ;)

It works!

I've tried high volume and it just plain blows. It's boring. The only challenge involved is clearing your schedule for a 2 hour workout (6 hour in this case).
~

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 07:22:58 PM »
It works!

I've tried high volume and it just plain blows. It's boring. The only challenge involved is clearing your schedule for a 2 hour workout (6 hour in this case).

Agreed but that kind of high volume's not necessary, there's obviously middle ground of moderate sets using high intensity, though not the degree of intensity put into HIT sets.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 07:56:04 PM »
True. My friend and I decided not to stick with HIT forever. We're going to return to more traditional training routines. We both agreed, however, to continue using high-intensity techniques. When we do return to our old routines we'll be in the 1-6 set volume of training as opposed to the current 1-3. It's still pretty low volume but I'm telling you we're masochists in the gym. Doing more than 4-5 sets for quads is completely unnecessary with this kind of intensity, for example.
~

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 08:03:53 PM »
Obviously continue with HIT as long as the gains continue, then return to it for 4-8 weeks at a time as a changeup, later.

Numbers of sets and intensity is part of a continuum-the more intensity you're willing to put into each set, the less that are needed, it's that simple. Basically with moderate sets you still use intensity but not to the crazy levels of HIT that might be hard to maintain over time.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 08:05:32 PM »
 i do the same intensity as hit training, but in workouts that are usually around 12-20 sets.     
d[-_-]b actin all cool

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 08:07:03 PM »
i do the same intensity as hit training, but in workouts that are usually around 12-20 sets.     

I think that's being said just to get attention. Obviously with true HIT and a training partner, that doesn't make sense.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 08:12:08 PM »
I think that's being said just to get attention. Obviously with true HIT and a training partner, that doesn't make sense.

hahahahahah it's not possible. It truly isn't no matter how motivated you could possibly be.
~

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 08:24:01 PM »

lol

hahahahahah it's not possible. It truly isn't no matter how motivated you could possibly be.

Arnold did it. But he also took a boatload of shit.
just push some weight!

Rich Gainihger

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 08:45:46 PM »
i only do 1 or 2 sets total, i'm 243lbs it works.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 09:34:25 PM »
lol

Arnold did it. But he also took a boatload of shit.

No way he was using HIT for 20 sets.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 10:39:03 AM »
No way he was using HIT for 20 sets.

He would put everything into each and every set!
just push some weight!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 10:43:07 AM »

He would put everything into each and every set!

That's not the same as HIT. Fundamental difference; i'm surprised you don't know this.

Besides, if you look closely at Pumping Iron he's really not training as hard as other guys in the movie for most of the sets.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 10:45:47 AM »
That's not the same as HIT. Fundamental difference; i'm surprised you don't know this.

Besides, if you look closely at Pumping Iron he's really not training as hard as other guys in the movie for most of the sets.

That's is because Arnold could burry them all at will. Do you believe that Mike Mentzer would stand a chance against Arnold training wise?
just push some weight!

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 10:52:47 AM »
That's is because Arnold could burry them all at will. Do you believe that Mike Mentzer would stand a chance against Arnold training wise?

hahahah yes, as a matter of fact Mentzer would have made Arnold's workouts look like kickboxing cardio.

Mentzer created and experimented with many intensity techniques. He's done crazy shit I've never even done yet. He had an unbelievable willpower.

To me, Arnold's training intensity was dissappointing. It may look intense to you, but it's really not all that it could be. You simply can't train THAT hard while doing 25 set triceps workouts!
~

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 10:57:59 AM »

I think he's kidding. Most of Arnold's sets in Pumping Iron were for PUSSIES; hopefully he trained harder with the cameras off. What you've been fooled by was just mugging for the camera, deliberate facial grimaces. Notice that during the squat sequence with Corney they edited out the end of Schwarzenegger's set-why? Corney & Ferrigno's training was the real deal.

What cave have you been living in? Do you understand HIT?

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 11:03:44 AM »
I understand hit is for girlie man that are afraid to use freeweights. I also understand that there has been a legion of bodybuilders past or present that tried to keep up with Arnold but they would brake down half way through. Arnold used to train 8 hours a day with intensity. Mentzer would not last 5 minutes.
just push some weight!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 11:06:20 AM »
used to train 8 hours a day with intensity. Mentzer would not last 5 minutes.
I think Alexxx's tennis player look is the result of the 8-hour plan.   ;D

nodeal

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 11:15:44 AM »
I understand hit is for girlie man that are afraid to use freeweights. I also understand that there has been a legion of bodybuilders past or present that tried to keep up with Arnold but they would brake down half way through. Arnold used to train 8 hours a day with intensity. Mentzer would not last 5 minutes.

i dont know if youre kidding or not but what you said about HIT training is false. try it out one day, its INSANE!!