Author Topic: Lat machine for a home gym  (Read 3275 times)

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Lat machine for a home gym
« on: December 14, 2006, 08:11:26 AM »
I have the choice between a Bodysolid lat machine or a Powertec one.
What will be your choice ?

http://bodysolid.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=508&ItemLabel=GLM83%3a+Body-Solid+Pro-Lat+Machine#

http://powertecfitness.com/latmachine.htm

Thank you.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Lat machine for a home gym
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:22:54 AM »
First of all, you have to physically try lat machines (or any machine) before buying. In the case of lat machines, there's a big difference in the feel from one machine to the other. Take the time to find and spend time using each machine considered. Check the Yellow Pages for dealers, or check with the company to find out the nearest store that carries the equipment you're interested in.

If you don't, you can waste a lot of time buying, assembling and using something only to find out later it's not very good and not using it.

-That new Powertec lat machine is not particularly smooth, just standard. The old model with the same code P-LM was available until last year and possibly still available new and of course used, was/is excellent. Gym quality feel, as good as anything i've used in a gym.

-Don't know about the Bodysolid version.

-Bodysolid also makes a lat attachment that fits onto one of their benches, which is much smaller, takes much less room.

-Ironmaster will be coming out with a lat attachment in 6-8 months.

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 08:54:23 AM »
I do pull ups and barbell/dbell rows for my back.

For triceps i like weighted dips.

So i can wait to see the lat attachment for my Ironmaster super bench.

A buddy made a triceps pressdown machine by just buying a pulley and a climbing rope in a home depot.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 08:58:38 AM »
Pullups/chins and BB rows are quite good enough. Can also buy an inexpensive T-bar attachment for more variety:
http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/9135rh.html

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/9135br.html

http://bodysolid.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=269&ItemLabel=TBR10%3a+T-Bar+Row+Platform

After those, a lat tower is great for variety and hitting slightly different angles but isn't essential. Besides pulldowns, is very useful for curls, pullovers, triceps, etc.

Dips are great but only primarily hit certain areas of the tris. To cover everything, do dips AND lying extensions to behind the head & below the end of the bench. Try straight sets, then other times superset the 2.

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 09:10:18 AM »
I have also a T bar bracket with the lat blaster bar, from Bodysolid.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 08:58:36 AM »
I would go with the Tuff Stuff plate loaded lat machine.  It's solid and smooth.  The lower pulley for seated cable rows is at a good height.  Some machines have the pulley is to low and the weight is pulling the v bar down and back which isn't what you want.  It goes for around $550

Another one that's good and fairly inexpensive is the Parabody lat machine. Go to the life fitness web site and look for home equipment.  I use this one at home and while it's not the best unit it works.  In stores it's around $400. 

On of the main problems with all home lat machines is that they aren't tall enough.  With a regular lat bar I have no trouble when I'm at the stretched out part of the lat pull.  With a triangle bar I run out of room to get a complete stretch.  Home lat machines aren't that tall so they will fit in most homes.  They all should be about 5 inches higher. 

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 09:27:57 AM »

A buddy made a triceps pressdown machine by just buying a pulley and a climbing rope in a home depot.

i made my own. it's a bitch to change the weights. gotta figure out a better way, but it was basically free to build and it gets the job done
Go Big Red!!!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 11:49:08 AM »
just get a bar for pull ups and use the extra space for some other type of equipment
Z

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 04:59:08 AM »
i made my own. it's a bitch to change the weights. gotta figure out a better way, but it was basically free to build and it gets the job done

I made my own yesterday and i use a weight bar like that :

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 08:39:18 AM »
where did you buy the weight bar???
Go Big Red!!!

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 08:47:03 AM »
I live in the south of France and i bought it at WWW.IRONMIND.COM with some grip accessories.