Author Topic: Haider's Training Journal  (Read 165033 times)

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: Haider's Training Journal
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2007, 05:59:16 PM »
Wednesday, Jan 31:
Upper ME:
Flat Bench Press:       
95 x 10
135 x 5
165 x 3
195 x 3
Free-weight T-bar Rows(using 25 lb plates):     (new)
25 x 9
50 x 8
100 x 8
125 x 8..... found the good weight
Neutral-grip* Flat Db Presses:       (new)
50's x 10
60's x 10
Wide-grip "Feel" Pullups**:    (new)
BW x 8
BW x 5
1-arm A-trainer Cable Flies(only right arm):    (Single Pulley)
1st pin x 10
1st pin x 5
OH Db Extensions:
70 x 12
Decline Tricep Ext (w/ a pause):       (new)
85 x 7
75 x 12

* Neutral-grip = Palms facing each other
** "Feel" Pullups = Very strict with next to no arm involvement.

Was not feeling the best today but I needed to get started. Went low on volume, basically went by how I felt. Satisfied with what I got on Bench given the circumstances. next week I will up that 10 pounds. Did T-bars for the first time ever and I loved them. Looking forward to piling on more plates on these, atleast another 25 lb plate I hope in the next few weeks. Neutral grip db presses were ok, much harder than regular grip though. The reason for doing the "feel" pullups is that I feel they hit my middle back pretty hard. Lower back, triceps and chest are sore today. Will hit some iso's for shoulders later and maybe even some light cardio.
follow the arrows

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007, 05:14:02 AM »
wsup haider..
question..
your split seems strange...
mmmm more like  compound split when eg in ur last entry u had excercises...
for back chest and tris..
do you think this type of training.. yields better results as opposed to hiting one bodypart per session or.. even one major bodypart and a minor...
rg chest and tris.. or back and bis on a day?
choice is an illusion

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2007, 07:32:10 PM »
Yes, I definitely think this type of training yeilds better results, in part because you're hitting the muscle more freqeuntly. It is important to note that the muscle recovers within 48 hrs of it being trained, so waiting a whole week to train it again is NOT optimal for muscle gains. Obliterating the muscle in one workout is unnecessary. Rather than doing that, spreading the sets over mutiple workouts during the week is more efficient. You see, the biggest factor here (for hypertrophy) is muscle stimuli, the more frequently your muscle receives it, the better (given that you are getting appropriatte rest).

However, my mindset and my routine are centered more around strength training. There are bodybuilding exercises I do, and higher rep ranges I use, but these are done later in the workout. All the heavy 3-5 rm sets, speed sets, "special" accesory exercises(for ex Good Mornings), rotation of exercises, etc are all done in an effort to keep my numbers increasing on the Big Three.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2007, 07:58:48 PM »
Friday, Feb 2
Lower ME:
Parallel Box Squats w/ a pause (to a bench):   
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
265 x 3
285 x 3
235 x 8
Sumo SLDL's (using 25 lb plates):
145 x 5
195 x 5
245 x 5
265 x 5
295 x 5
Cybex Leg Press (sled):       (new)
2 plates x 10
4 plates x 10
5 plates x 10
6 plates x 10
Speed Deadlifts:
4-5 sets w/ 245
Power Shrugs(deadlifted from the ground)*: (1:00)
245 x 7 (double overhand)
275 x 12 (double overhand w/ straps)
Hyperextensions**:
100 x 10
100 x 7 

*Grip training, reps till grip gives out
**Done with a loaded barbell held in hands

Good workout, only had one meal in me prior to it so I had a sobe drink to give me a boost. The box squats are harder than I expected, and I know that has to do with the pause on the bottom that eleiminates all momentum. The Sumo SLDL's hit the lower back VERY NICELY as well. These feel so much more comfortable on the lower back than convential deads, its amazing.
    Couldn't make up my mind on what leg exercise to do after the SLDL's so I took my friends suggestion and tried out the leg press. It was surprisingly easy even with a full ROM. Maybe I should try moving my feet down the platform a bit more, tell me what u guys think.
     Grip was surprisingly strong today with the power shrugs so I was happy about that. The hyper extensions were harder than I thought, so I will be reducing the weight on those to probably around 80 pounds next time. To those who havent given these type of hyperextensions a try, you should definitely try it. Not only can u add much mroe weight, its also 10 times more comfortable than holding on to 45 lb plates or a Dumbell.

8)
follow the arrows

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2007, 06:09:20 PM »
I like your journal. You should definetely get better results than I did from HIT.  ;)

You use very interesting exercises. Some of which sound fun. What's the benefit of a sumo deadlift?
~

jr

• Getbig V
  • No homo of peace
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2007, 01:59:37 AM »
Yes, I definitely think this type of training yeilds better results, in part because you're hitting the muscle more freqeuntly. It is important to note that the muscle recovers within 48 hrs of it being trained, so waiting a whole week to train it again is NOT optimal for muscle gains. Obliterating the muscle in one workout is unnecessary. Rather than doing that, spreading the sets over mutiple workouts during the week is more efficient. You see, the biggest factor here (for hypertrophy) is muscle stimuli, the more frequently your muscle receives it, the better (given that you are getting appropriatte rest).

Another side benefit of more frequent training is muscle soreness is much reduced, compared with hitting a bodypart once a week.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2007, 07:07:07 AM »
I know ur main goal is strength bro, but have u added size at all?!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2007, 04:33:24 PM »
I like your journal. You should definetely get better results than I did from HIT.  ;)

You use very interesting exercises. Some of which sound fun. What's the benefit of a sumo deadlift?
haha thanks bro, appreciate the comments! I just used the sumo deadlift as an exercise to hit my hamstrings and lower back, much like good mornings(I;m doing sldl's now as a replacement). Now I'm realising how good this exercise really is.. it destroyed my lower back and hamstrings liek Ive never felt before.

Another side benefit of more frequent training is muscle soreness is much reduced, compared with hitting a bodypart once a week.
This is true, the body does tend to "untrain" itself within a span of a week, I think this might be a reason for the severe soreness with split training programs. Plus I'm sure the added volume all in one day adds to the soreness too.

I know ur main goal is strength bro, but have u added size at all?!

davie
Yes bro, although I could have gained better with more calories in my diet. I mentioned before that my quads and arms especially grew well. Back and shoulder width are strong points for me, though I'd like more shapely shoulders and a more detailed upper back. I'm sure that has a lot to do with my bf% though. No worries.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2007, 10:08:13 PM »
Monday, Feb 5
Upper RE:
Speed Flat Bench:
Multiple sets using various grips with 95-115
Clean and Presses: 
65 x 5
85 x 5
105 x 5
125 x 5
95 x 12 (Standing Military Press.. clean on first rep only)
1-arm A-Trainer Flies (no rest): (Single pulley)
#1 x 5
#1 x 5
#1 x 5
#1 x 4
Hammer-grip Pulldowns:
#11 x 8
#12 x 8
#12 x 8
Cybex Incline Chest Press (1:30):
100 x 10 (wide grip)
150 x 10 (wide grip)
150 x 8 (close-grip)
BB Curls (1:30):    (back resting on wall)
60 x 8
60 x 8
60 x 8
Close Grip Incline Bench Press:
135 x 8
125 x 7
115 x 7
Decline Pullovers (with EZ-curl bar):
65 x 12
70 x 12
85 x 10

Long workout but good nevertheless. Shoulder was bothering me right from the beginning, then the bitchass thing really started to hurt when I doing flies. I adjusted my arm placement and it stopped bothering me. However, after I got done with pulldowns my other shoulder started bothering me  >:( My rear delt got tight so I tried stretching out and whatever and kept going with my workout. Its crazy how much harder the BB Curls are with your back against the wall. Triceps were really pumped, especially after I was done with the pullovers. Seemed like I did too many pushing exercises this workout though. I dunno where to balance out though, maybe I'll add 2 sets of a rowing movement and do only one set of pullovers.
follow the arrows

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2007, 04:46:09 AM »
Hey bro, dont overdue the shoulder!!

Whats ur thoughts on the BB curl back against the wall, Iv been stuck on weight for BB curl, i get my rep target, then wen i up it even by 2 1/2 kg's, i can only get 8 wen i rock more, its weird. was gonna switch 1 Bicep exercise to Db curls, but might drop the weight, change straight bar for ez-curl bar and put back against wall?!

Wen u do them do u have legs benct or u bolt upright??

davie

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2007, 03:10:25 PM »
Hey bro, dont overdue the shoulder!!

Whats ur thoughts on the BB curl back against the wall, Iv been stuck on weight for BB curl, i get my rep target, then wen i up it even by 2 1/2 kg's, i can only get 8 wen i rock more, its weird. was gonna switch 1 Bicep exercise to Db curls, but might drop the weight, change straight bar for ez-curl bar and put back against wall?!

Wen u do them do u have legs benct or u bolt upright??

davie
Thanks for the comments davie. I would say you should switch your bicep exercise to something else, then rotate back to BB curls against the wall. Db's are def a good alternative, especially incline db curls for bicep mass.

I do the BB curls with my feet abt a half step away from the wall. This allows me to rest my back on the wall without my arse getting in the way ;D I use a straight bar because I feel them way better in the biceps than when I use the EZ-curl bar.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2007, 06:27:53 PM »
Wednesday, Feb 7
Lower RE:
Rack Deadlifts (from below kneecap)*:
185 x 5 (double overhand)
245 x 5 (double overhand)
295 x 3 (over-under)
360 x 3 (over-under)
420 x 3  (double overhand w/ straps)  more than I've done before but not really a PR
Speed Parallel Box Squats (to a bench):
6 sets w/ 165-175
Parallel Sqts (medium-wide stance):
170 x 8
210 x 8
250 x 8
190 x 20   8)
Nautilus Kneeling Leg Curls (unilateral) <alternated with> Leg lifts (straight-legged):
80 x 10 <alt. w/> BW+20 x 11
80 x 10 <alt. w/> BW+15 x 12
1-legged Db Sqts :
65's x 8  :o

*Deadlifts are completely reset for each rep.

Enjoyable workout upto the leg curls. By then I just wanted to get the fvck out of there. Wasted too much time... I think Im gonna have to start timing my rest periods again ;D Rack pulls were pretty smooth, better than I expected atleast. Next time I'm gonna put on 20 more lbs on that bar, and see what that is like. This time I don't wanna stay on the same exercises for more than 3-4 weeks so I'm gonna put an effort into moving the weights up much faster. Quads took a real beating from this workout, as they were sore already after the workout within a couple of hours. Ofcourse, my ass and hamstrings were also sore from the 1-legged sqts. Those hit the whole thigh and glutes hard. (no, not in that way nordic fag... ;D)
follow the arrows

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2007, 07:10:28 PM »
Nice journal.... a little unconventional in your choices of excercises but it seems to be working..... keep it up!!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2007, 10:09:43 PM »
Nice journal.... a little unconventional in your choices of excercises but it seems to be working..... keep it up!!
Thank man, your kind comments are greatly appreaciatted!   8)  :)
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2007, 10:24:48 PM »
Saturday, Feb 10:
Upper ME:
Flat Bench Press:       
95 x 10
135 x 5
175 x 3
205 x 2     WTF   >:(
200 x 3     Better.
Free-weight T-bar Rows(using 25 lb plates):
135 x 6
100 x 12
Neutral-grip* Incline Db Presses:   (2:00)    (new)
60's x 8
60's x 8
60's x 8
Super-strict Wide-grip Pullups** <supersetted with> Strict Wide-grip Pullups***:   (2:00)
BW x 5 <ss> BW x 5
------  <ss> BW x 7
1-arm A-trainer Cable Flies(only right arm):    (Double Pulley)
20 x 6
15 x 6 -DS- 10 x 4
Decline Tricep Ext (w/ a pause):  (2:00)     
85 x 12
85 x 9
Incline Db Curls <supersetted with> Hammer Curls:  (2:00)
30's x 12 <ss> 30's x 4
30's x 11 <ss> 30's x 4 (sloppy)

* Neutral-grip = Palms facing each other
** Very strict with next to no arm involvement.
*** With arm involvement

wow, I really really really suck at benching. I need some help here, probably tips on better form. I was VERY disappointed at not being able to get the 205 lift. That motivated me more to get the 200 but it was still very discouraging. But getting the 200 gave me enough of a boost to keep going with the workout. T-bars were a surprise, cause I thought I could get the 8 reps. Didn't really like the neutral grip db presses.... shoulders were burning after that but no pump in chest. I'll give the exercise some time though, cuz a lot of times ur body needs to get a chance to feel the movement out and the pumps also get better as u progress up in weight. Strong on triceps today, a welcome surprise ofcourse. No progression on the curls though.

follow the arrows

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2007, 08:57:13 AM »
It makes sense you are stronger on the triceps and weaker on the bench. Your form is improving. Bring the bar to the chest and don't worry about weight for now. Remember Serge built his chest without going more then 225 pound barbell presses. Trick is to get your mind into the muscle and get a crazy pump out of it.
just push some weight!

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »

I like the variety in these workouts: Neutral grip db presses, box squat and power shrugs are things rarely seen in the gym but are very athetic movements and can help any weightlifter.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2007, 06:42:41 PM »
what do you weigh, sister?
Deep Tissue Massage

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2007, 11:08:11 AM »
Jihadist...

Your routine makes me un-easy...

For instance, you say chest it a weak point, but you do flamboyant exercises like neutral grip presses, which will target the front delts more than the chest, plus I've never been one for mixing back with chest like that.

Do 2 sets per exercise and stop doing this wacky shit. You need to up your intake of pork too, it's amino acid profile is similar to that of the muscle fibres found in the pectoral muscles!
الاسلام هو شيطانية

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2007, 11:52:35 AM »
Jihadist...

Your routine makes me un-easy...

For instance, you say chest it a weak point, but you do flamboyant exercises like neutral grip presses, which will target the front delts more than the chest, plus I've never been one for mixing back with chest like that.

Do 2 sets per exercise and stop doing this wacky shit. You need to up your intake of pork too, it's amino acid profile is similar to that of the muscle fibres found in the pectoral muscles!
Fvck you very much for ur comments dear heathen  8)

My routine is centered first around strength, then around "hypertrophy" or "mass". I train around my strength goals. Anyways, I group chest and back together because I find it to be very efficient. Grouping things in a push pull manner right now would be a hassle for me, but Im open to the idea. However, the pulling and pushing within a workout is balanced out so Im not pushing more than Im pulling or vice versa.
        I chose neutral grip presses because Ive heard of their usefulness when it comes to pec development. I thought it was worth giving it a try, but it certainly could be the case that this exercise wont hit my chest as good. But its another option, and there is no harm in trying. You see, to me it is whacky to work out one bodypart a day, as I have explained on the lasts page of this thread. Once proper stimuli is acheived just move on with other muscle groups, so u can make the most of your workout. This in turn allows to hit the muscle group multiple times a week, which has been shown to be superior for muscle gains, and also strength.
follow the arrows

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2007, 12:28:32 PM »
Fvck you very much for ur comments dear heathen  8)

My routine is centered first around strength, then around "hypertrophy" or "mass". I train around my strength goals. Anyways, I group chest and back together because I find it to be very efficient. Grouping things in a push pull manner right now would be a hassle for me, but Im open to the idea. However, the pulling and pushing within a workout is balanced out so Im not pushing more than Im pulling or vice versa.
        I chose neutral grip presses because Ive heard of their usefulness when it comes to pec development. I thought it was worth giving it a try, but it certainly could be the case that this exercise wont hit my chest as good. But its another option, and there is no harm in trying. You see, to me it is whacky to work out one bodypart a day, as I have explained on the lasts page of this thread. Once proper stimuli is acheived just move on with other muscle groups, so u can make the most of your workout. This in turn allows to hit the muscle group multiple times a week, which has been shown to be superior for muscle gains, and also strength.

Hey bro, keep it up.

Curious, how do u know wen the proper stimulus is achieved?? Not doubting u, just curious?!

davie

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2007, 12:53:45 PM »
Hey bro, keep it up.

Curious, how do u know wen the proper stimulus is achieved?? Not doubting u, just curious?!

davie
This is dependent on the amount of workload that I think or FEEL that I can handle in a given workout. One certainly doesn't need endless sets for stimulate a muscle group, which would require the length of an entire workout. Not a knock on high volume training though, since it does work for some people. It's just that I feel it ends up being highly inefficient.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2007, 07:57:28 PM »
Monday, Feb 12
Lower ME:
Parallel Box Squats w/ a pause (to a bench):   
145 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
265 x 3
305 x 3
245 x 8   :)
Sumo SLDL's (using 25 lb plates):
300 x 5
300 x 5

245 x 8
Cybex Leg Press (sled):       (no lockout)
6 plates + 10 x 10
6 plates + 20 x 10
6 plates + 25 x 10
(done with extra depth)
Speed Deadlifts:
5 sets w/ 225
Power Shrugs(deadlifted from the ground)*: (1:00)
255 x 7 (double overhand)
280 x 9 (double overhand w/ straps)
Get the fvck out of the gym**:
BW+30 x 300 steps

*Grip training, reps till grip gives out
**Performed with a backpack on

Very nice, very heavy on the lower back though. Had to lay down for a couple of minutes after the Sumo SLDL's. Very little soreness in the quads today, mostly in the back and hamstrings. But it isn't that bad. Last week I was sore as shit all over, including the quads.
follow the arrows

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2007, 03:09:38 AM »
What's the benefits of box squats? Sounds like it could be deadly if you fucked up somehow and your back took the impact to the bench.

Why do these over traditional squats?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2007, 03:24:17 AM »
What's the benefits of box squats? Sounds like it could be deadly if you fucked up somehow and your back took the impact to the bench.

Why do these over traditional squats?

Depends on how high the box.

But basically, it will help you work on the sticking points.

And high box squats works as a partial lift, where you'll be able to use a higher load.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise