Author Topic: Deadlifts worth benefit vs risk?  (Read 4123 times)

Albeit

• Getbig II
Deadlifts worth benefit vs risk?
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:57:40 PM »
I appologize if this has already been covered or whatnot, but i'll ask it anyways: is the inherent risk in deadlifts worth the risk vs the benefit?  I mean, if you do heavy squats, isn't that more important than heavy deads?  The reason i ask is a couple of years ago i messed up my back by doing deads that i guess were too heavy (i thought my form was ok, but it could have been the reason too).  So now, i do them pretty light, and am kind of paranoid to bring the weight up again.  Just wondering what you think in general about this exercise.

Albeit

• Getbig II
Re: Deadlifts worth benefit vs risk?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 08:00:28 PM »
Oh yeah, for what it's worth, when the injury happened, i was lowering the weight to the ground when i heard / felt two pops in my lower back.  It didn't hurt, it was just like the sound when you crack your back, but i was like "f*ck, i better put this down now," and like 20 min later it seized up and i couldn't even tie my shoes....it took months to be back to normal, and even now it's not the same as it was.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 08:20:43 PM »
If it’s the lower portion of the movement that aggravates you, try partial/rack dead lifts. Depending on where you set the bar, you can eliminate roughly the bottom third of the ROM.
You can still go heavy to overload the muscles at the top of the contraction, but starting up higher is a little more forgiving on the lumbar region.

Most people think it’s easier to start up higher.
A small percentage of trainers think it’s just as hard because, while you start higher and shorten the stroke, you also eliminate the momentum that your legs and lower back help create by the time the bar hits the starting position of a partial.

In addition to being safer, Charles Glass recommends these to his clients because they offer the same benefit (as traditional DL) to the rest of the back without thickening the waist.

dylan_dent

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 09:32:45 PM »
If youre just going for muscle growth, I have a much better option than olympic bar deadlifts.

Dumbell deadlifts. Holding the bells on the sides. Much easier to keep your back straight(ish) and to keep a vertical plane of movement.

Ive been doing them for a few weeks. 75lb x 20 reps(ish)....ouch! Ive been getting a level of soreness that I havent gotten in my 15 yrs of training...not to mention a bit of growth.

Try them and post feedback.

D

Albeit

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:59:43 PM »
If youre just going for muscle growth, I have a much better option than olympic bar deadlifts.

Dumbell deadlifts. Holding the bells on the sides. Much easier to keep your back straight(ish) and to keep a vertical plane of movement.

Ive been doing them for a few weeks. 75lb x 20 reps(ish)....ouch! Ive been getting a level of soreness that I havent gotten in my 15 yrs of training...not to mention a bit of growth.

D

Yeah, if after 15 years you haven't been that sore, i'd say it's worth a shot.

dylan_dent

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 10:39:01 PM »
Pleae do, Im still pissed at myself for only just trying them. I use straps too btw. I just dont want my grip to fail before my quads.

Heres what I do..

50x15  wu
75x20 ouch
75x20 ouch!
75x18-20 (life changing event!)

Shoulder width stance. Keeping back as straight as well as you can. Almost dragging the bells down the sides of the legs. Touch bells to floor and back up.

Squat down and hold with no weight for 60 sec between sets "trapping" the blood in the quads. They will hurt as much as the deads!

Like I said, PLEASE post feedback.

D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 02:21:25 AM »
here's a big article on deadlift and variations, even videos. check out the sumo deadlift

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson101.htm

Z

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 06:31:49 AM »
deadlifts is one of the best erxercise  ever works the lowerback the grip the traps the hamstrings benefits are immense use heavy weights

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 06:35:24 AM »
They're no riskier than any other exercise you do.  :-\

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 06:58:24 AM »
sure they are.
Z

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 07:02:46 AM »
sure they are.
How so? You can get injured doing any exercise with shitty form or too heavy of weight which is usually why people get hurt on deads...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 07:10:37 AM »
some exercises are technically more difficult and because of that harder to do with good form which enhances the risk of injury. plus some exercises, give worse injuries if you do injure yourself on em.

i rather injure myself doing tricep pushdowns than squats.

problem with deadlift for example is that good form gets harder with more weight.
Z

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 07:16:11 AM »

D
75 pound db deadlifts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my Lord, what a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you must have a grip that could bend steel. ::)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 07:21:20 AM »
75 pound db deadlifts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my Lord, what a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you must have a grip that could bend steel. ::)

thanks for the quality addition....  ::)

dumbbell deads with reps over 15 hurt like hell, i've been down that road before.  do to a nagging back issue i have resigned myself to just doing stiff leg deads... it may sound silly but they hurt my back a lot less then full deads and i use close to the same weight

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 07:23:23 AM »

thanks for the quality addition....  ::)

dumbbell deads with reps over 15 hurt like hell, i've been down that road before.  do to a nagging back issue i have resigned myself to just doing stiff leg deads... it may sound silly but they hurt my back a lot less then full deads and i use close to the same weight
no offense to him i'm sure he's a nice guy but that type of weight deserves to be ridiculed, it's a joke, they're deadlfits for fucck's saks, even the 150's should be a warm up on a whole body movement like deadlifts, too many of you clowns baby yourselves.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 07:26:32 AM »
no offense to him i'm sure he's a nice guy but that type of weight deserves to be ridiculed, it's a joke, they're deadlfits for fucck's saks, even the 150's should be a warm up on a whole body movement like deadlifts, too many of you clowns baby yourselves.

please post a video of yourself doing 20 reps of dumbbell deads with 150s  ::)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 07:27:32 AM »

QFT!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 07:36:14 AM »

please post a video of yourself doing 20 reps of dumbbell deads with 150s  ::)
hahahhahaa, yeah i'll get right on that "wooo", i'll set up a youtube account, get a video camera and set it up in the gym juts to record a lift that any guy with two years of training should be doing. :-*

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 07:46:37 AM »

Not necessarily. I think if you use the full range of motion doing dummbell deadlifts you can really put a hurt on yourself. Just because you can deadlift 400lbs doesn't mean you'll be able to use 200 pound dumbbells.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 07:48:05 AM »
hahahhahaa, yeah i'll get right on that "wooo", i'll set up a youtube account, get a video camera and set it up in the gym juts to record a lift that any guy with two years of training should be doing. :-*

lazy bastard  :)

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 10:42:42 AM »
Go f... yourself sqaud >:(

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 11:59:41 AM »
150 dumbells are difficult as hell tp pick up with your hands and hold a grip on. doing deads with dumbells will be more of a forearm workout than a back workout.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 01:19:31 PM »
Go f... yourself sqaud >:(
hahahhaa, don't get too mad at me "mitchy" i mean shit 75 pound dumbbell deadlifts i can't even imagine the damage you could do to a person. :o

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »
If dont with the correct form and technique the risk is the same as with any excersise..

DO DEADS.. nuff said
and none of that pussy rack dead nonsense..
deads from the floor...
choice is an illusion

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 05:20:29 PM »
Do partial deads, my back is pretty big and ive got very good results with them-and no low back problems. Go heavy and use straps. I use them to start my workout and sometimes do shrugs with them and then go to heavy dbell rows.