Author Topic: honor killin in britain: famly was getting too "westernized" for father  (Read 12091 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: honor killin in britain: famly was getting too "westernized" for father
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2007, 09:51:10 AM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2007, 09:51:55 AM »
It's not really comparable. Circumcized males are able to orgasm.  Circumcized females are not.  There are many, many more health, emotional issues related to female mutilation.

Thank you.  No comparison. 

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2007, 10:27:03 AM »

I'm not saying it shouldn't be exposed or that people should be silent to avoid offending others of another culture.

I'm saying it is what it is... another case of domestic violence, and to report it in a way that makes it infammatory against muslims detracts from the fact that it is domestic violence that cuts across all walks of society. Is it any more outrageous that a Muslim woman was killed? Should we have more empathy for her and her family than we do for a blonde haired, blue eyed, WASP woman murdered at the hands of her husband? I say NO. Each incident should provoke an equal outrage, ...but that's not the case is it?

It is not just another case of domestic violence. It is one of many instances were a muslims religious beliefs have given him the motivation and right to kill other people (his family!!!) because they are not conforming to his view of a good Muslim. There are many cases like this.

This is not the same as some drunken bum coming home drunk as a skunk and beating his wife or throwing her down the stairs.  There are lowlifes among all demographics.  But this is another example of the inherent violent and cruel nature of Islam.
Valhalla awaits.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2007, 10:30:05 AM »
How can anyone with a straight face compare female circumcision to male circumcision?  Absurd.

That is almost outrageous as some Muslim brutally killing his children and his wife to defend his "honor".
Valhalla awaits.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2007, 10:34:51 AM »
More Honor Killings:

Three Palestinian women have been murdered in the Gaza Strip in the past 24 hours, Palestinian Authority security officials and local residents said.

The bodies of the women were discovered early Tuesday in the northern part of the Gaza Strip. The motive for the killings remained unclear. One of the victims, a 35-year-old mother of four, was found near the beach. She had been shot at least 13 times in different parts of her body, said a PA security official.

The other two women were killed separately and their bullet-riddled bodies were discovered late Monday.

The security official said he did not rule out the possibility that the three women were killed by male relatives in the context of what is known as “honor killings.” Such killings are not unusual among Palestinians and many Arab countries. At least 25 women are murdered every year in the West Bank and Gaza Strip for “bringing shame” on their male relatives.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1171894534050&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
Valhalla awaits.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2007, 10:52:41 AM »
But that's life in a tribal culture.  People think honor killings/subjugation of women are just a function of religion but it's much deeper, more entrenched than that.  In tribal, patriarchal cultures, male lineage is overwhelmingly important and denotes a family's place in society, financial opportunities, etc. As said before, since women are the vessals of future wealth and family prosperity, keeping her beyond reproach (under a veil, locked in the house, etc) is a priority. Any tinge of impropriety is a smear against the purity of the family lineage and must be snuffed out. A family's community standing and finances can depend on it.

Obviously, this way of thinking doesn't bode well in the west.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2007, 10:59:24 AM »
Thank you.  No comparison. 

Probably the way the castrati were created in the last centuries is more in keeping with the way these "surgeries" have traditionally been performed on girls.

One method was to place a rag in his mouth then hold the boy down forceably while someone grabbed and pulled his scrotum, then removed it with a knife or sharp piece of glass.  In an interesting book about the hareem, I read that the boy was often buried waist-deep in sand for a week where he either survived, or didn't.  Sexual pleasure was no longer an option.

I get queasy just thinking about it.  :-\  No comparison at all.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2007, 11:27:45 AM »
Probably the way the castrati were created in the last centuries is more in keeping with the way these "surgeries" have traditionally been performed on girls.

One method was to place a rag in his mouth then hold the boy down forceably while someone grabbed and pulled his scrotum, then removed it with a knife or sharp piece of glass.  In an interesting book about the hareem, I read that the boy was often buried waist-deep in sand for a week where he either survived, or didn't.  Sexual pleasure was no longer an option.

I get queasy just thinking about it.  :-\  No comparison at all.

You get queasy?  Geeze.  That's torture.   

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2007, 11:54:15 AM »
You get queasy?  Geeze.  That's torture.   

Lol... have you had your lunch yet?  :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2007, 12:09:45 PM »
Lol... have you had your lunch yet?  :D

Not yet.  :)  I have a couple hours or so to regain my appetite.  I'm going to skip my midmorning snack.   :-\

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2007, 04:04:51 PM »
But that's life in a tribal culture.  People think honor killings/subjugation of women are just a function of religion but it's much deeper, more entrenched than that.  In tribal, patriarchal cultures, male lineage is overwhelmingly important and denotes a family's place in society, financial opportunities, etc. As said before, since women are the vessals of future wealth and family prosperity, keeping her beyond reproach (under a veil, locked in the house, etc) is a priority. Any tinge of impropriety is a smear against the purity of the family lineage and must be snuffed out. A family's community standing and finances can depend on it.

Obviously, this way of thinking doesn't bode well in the west.

It's all pretty disgusting in my estimation, but still it goes on, and not just in muslim cultures.
Sadly in some western european cultures too... although it's more quiet. Not as much killing, but abuses nonetheless.
I knew many girls who got married right out of highschool as the only acceptable means of getting out from under.  :'(
w

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2007, 04:14:13 PM »
It's all pretty disgusting in my estimation, but still it goes on, and not just in muslim cultures.
Sadly in some western european cultures too... although it's more quiet. Not as much killing, but abuses nonetheless.
I knew many girls who got married right out of highschool as the only acceptable means of getting out from under.  :'(

Yes, I know.  Me too. Girls from very strict "old country" Greek and Italian families.  :'(

It wasn't all that many years ago, Catholic girls in some countries also had to fear these kind of honor retributions. I think it probably still goes on in some more backwards countries. Only by constantly protesting and exposing these crimes, does the world bear pressure to create change.  And it just shouldn't be tolerated in civilized, western countries.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2007, 04:31:16 PM »
Yes, I know.  Me too. Girls from very strict "old country" Greek and Italian families.  :'(

It wasn't all that many years ago, Catholic girls in some countries also had to fear these kind of honor retributions. I think it probably still goes on in some more backwards countries. Only by constantly protesting and exposing these crimes, does the world bear pressure to create change.  And it just shouldn't be tolerated in civilized, western countries.

Yep. Sometimes even after they're married the stigma still sticks... for generations.

My ex's older brother once made a comment to his bride of 3 yrs. They were having a disagreement, and he couldn't back up his side in the argument... so to shut her up, he brought up the fact that when her mother was 15, they caught her wandering around in the field ...by herself  They were so freaked out by it, ...they married her off immediately. :o  This was in 1960 in Calabria Italy, and 25 years later, and a continent away, ...it was still a source of shame for her family.  ::)
w