Author Topic: Bad Elbows messing with Tricep workouts  (Read 5317 times)

Tony23

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Bad Elbows messing with Tricep workouts
« on: March 02, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »
I was just posting to see if anyone has had problems with their elbows when doing triceps.  Mine have gotten so bad that I cant do ANY real weight on skull crushers or any compound movements.  The pain is when I bend my arms on the negative portion of the rep, at a certain point its a sharp pain in both.

Anybody been through this? 

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
Re: Bad Elbows messing with Tricep workouts
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 07:09:41 PM »
Cut back on the thai boxing competitions for a while.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 08:56:36 PM »
Yeah, I've gotten it. Try warming up more by doing a few high rep (10-16), low weight sets before you get into your work sets. It's the elbows that aren't warmed up enough. Also take in lots of water (at least 2 litres a day) to keep the joints happy.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 07:01:07 AM »
Your elbows are seriously f****. There are several factors. Work on all of them:

-Take a total break from that exercise, or it necessary from all exercises, until the pain goes away. Then:

-Do a compound exercise for tris before this exercise, to warm up the elbows. Then do a couple of lighter warmup sets of this exercise.

-Keep the reps moderate, no lower than 8 for this exercise. If the pain persists, stay around 10 reps/set or higher.

-Rest between sets of no more than a minute.

-What is the ROM on this exercise, where are you lowering the weight? Describe the motion you're using. The form you're using, or the exercise itself, may have to be eliminated otherwise the pain could return over and over again.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 07:43:29 AM »
Rubber wraps, Ice 'em, muscle rubs (some Veterinary horse hock preps are extra strong),
ACUPUNCTURE.... Give 'em a break. Specialize on Legs for 2 1/2 weeks or so.
A GOOD rest and you can often bust a PR on bench. Thats really not the way to jump back in though.

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 09:58:54 AM »
I've noticed that sometimes my elbows flare up when I hold them at a certain angle.  Usually when they are pointing OUT too far.  So I simply move then closer to my shoulders and I have no problems.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 11:41:53 AM »
im suffering with the exact same thing, i feel it on shoulder movements too.... ive had it before and it just went away, been lingering for a while now,,,, its compounded in me with having a manual job too, mite have to bite the bullet and rest my top half for a few weeks!!!!

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 03:33:41 PM »
I was just posting to see if anyone has had problems with their elbows when doing triceps.  Mine have gotten so bad that I cant do ANY real weight on skull crushers or any compound movements.  The pain is when I bend my arms on the negative portion of the rep, at a certain point its a sharp pain in both.

Anybody been through this? 

I've had a similar situation with the left elbow.  Try doing the compound movements AFTER you've thoroughly warmed up with cable movements and keep your reps in the 10-15 range.  Also, buy a neoprene elbow sleeve ...really helps by keeping the joint warm and providing support and compression.  Though I've never supplemented with them myself, some here mention the benefits ot taking glucosamine sulfate.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 06:03:18 PM »
Sounds exactly like what I had a year or so ago. Again with the skull crushers. I've since dropped these from my triceps regimine (they've been never better, thank you) and it has gone away. In retrospect, I think that such a movement places the joint in a very precarious position mechanically and I shouldn't have been surprised by what happened. There are lots of things you can do to work around it, just don't stop working it. Best. 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 11:53:37 AM »
Want Tris?   Close Grip bench press straight or EZ bar.  Try them in the power cage off pins set anywhere
from 6-8" off chest to damn near lockout. You can PILE on the plate like that.  Do them once a week
for 4-6 wks and hit a side Triceps pose.  Decline close grips work to.

Acupuncture can be a quick fix for some of them nagging tendon issues. Worth a try if its ongoing.
Dont forget Ice.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 01:23:54 PM »
Want Tris?   Close Grip bench press straight or EZ bar.  Try them in the power cage off pins set anywhere
from 6-8" off chest to damn near lockout. You can PILE on the plate like that.  Do them once a week
for 4-6 wks and hit a side Triceps pose.  Decline close grips work to.

Partials are a great way to grow, as are the use of chains, which are a little bit similar. Close-grips are good but only part of the equation, however.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »
Partials are a great way to grow, as are the use of chains, which are a little bit similar. Close-grips are good but only part of the equation, however.

Wow! Someone else here uses CHAINS! I suggested chains to a guy and he said.. "I don't use drugs!" ???
Board Press's, chains, bands etc are actually more effective than many drug protocols.
Chains on shoulder width 3-5 board press seems to realy hit Tris.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 11:28:29 AM »
I had this problem for a lot of time and one thing i did stopd this. Locking out!!!

i stoped to lock out in lots of exercises (specially bench press) and the pain on my elbows dissapeared, even when doing skull crushers...Maybe you should try it, for me it worked
!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
I had this problem for a lot of time and one thing i did stopd this. Locking out!!!

i stoped to lock out in lots of exercises (specially bench press) and the pain on my elbows dissapeared, even when doing skull crushers...Maybe you should try it, for me it worked

Great example of what just a little trial & error can do so that you don't have to do without a great size-building exercise.