Author Topic: Epic Tool "Squatting"  (Read 27169 times)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
Re: Epic Tool "Squatting"
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
i'd say lewis would be in the high 900s in wraps and a belt. the man is a wrecking ball, at the very least he'd be able to use his body's natural rebound effectively.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2007, 01:36:37 PM »
bullshit on the 625.

I have no reason to lie, this crap added 150lbs to my lift!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2007, 01:37:27 PM »
i'd say lewis would be in the high 900s in wraps and a belt. the man is a wrecking ball, at the very least he'd be able to use his body's natural rebound effectively.
he's from here in St. Louis, i've seen him in person many times and this guy is like an eclipse, he blocks out the sun, 6'0" 530 pounds.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2007, 01:38:18 PM »
he's from here in St. Louis, i've seen him in person many times and this guy is like an eclipse, he blocks out the sun, 6'0" 530 pounds.

6 feet and 530lbs?!?!Shit!!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2007, 01:39:59 PM »
6 feet and 530lbs?!?!Shit!!
he's very obese but he has the biggest legs i've ever seen on a human being in my life, VERY VERY VERY nice guy though.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2007, 01:41:49 PM »
he's taller than that, i though. around 6'5" or so. here's his 1212 squat, right on the dot parallel.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2007, 01:43:17 PM »
he's taller than that, i though. around 6'5" or so. here's his 1212 squat, right on the dot parallel.

no like i said i've stood next to him at a couple of local USAPL meets, he was just attending not competing and he's maybe an inch taller than me and i'm a shade under 6 feet.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2007, 01:44:14 PM »
he's also a monster bencher, in the 800's i believe.

benjamin pearson

• Getbig IV
  • Dan18 has a huge forehead
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2007, 01:44:23 PM »

holy fuck the guy is huge

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2007, 01:52:12 PM »
he's also a monster bencher, in the 800's i believe.

at the arnold last year he squatted 1212, benched i think 830, and then pulled somewhere in the 700s. ended up with a 2799 total, just shy of garry frank and now andy bolton's record. his size keeps him from being able to pull more, the man's strong enough to hit a 3000 total, i'm just not sure if he will.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2007, 01:52:33 PM »
what do you think big Jeff Lewis could do raw, Hedge?

Certainly not his double bodyweight LMFAO...

It's not a pleasing sight to watch that guy:

My guess is he could get high 800 raw with a belt. If we're talking below parallell.

Last I heard, he was up to 500 lbs in weight or something.

Will probably "go" from obesity related problems soon. :'(

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2007, 01:54:30 PM »

No biggie but...

Raw = belt only.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

oakleyreplicas

• Getbig II
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2007, 04:58:57 PM »
Please don't think all Powerlifting federations are like this my friends.  The APF is a joke, just like the WPC and any others. 
The Ipf is the federation I compete in and is what I believe is easily the hands down best, beacuse 1- its drug tested, 2 - only single ply gear.... none of this triple ply canvas bullshit.  3- knee and wrist wraps permitted are't 10 yards like like these other guys.

The deadlift will tell the story between federations... as u can't get much out of a dead suit.  Go to any of the bullshit federations, and wach the numbers fall in the dead compared to the squat.  It's haliarious.  I love to lift raw too.  Any raw federation is a good one.

oakleyreplicas

• Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2007, 05:00:51 PM »
I have no reason to lie, this crap added 150lbs to my lift!

Depends on the federation.   What suit do you use.  If single ply, u will never get that much.  If its canvas of triple ply bullshit... then yes, you can.  (Sorry, but I hat anything other than single ply bud, lol)
 ;D

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
  • DC Comics Pro and TEAM MUSCLECENTER
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2007, 05:55:44 PM »
I agree 100% Raw powerlifting rules

I guess I'll throw in my agreement, too   :)

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2007, 06:02:45 PM »
You know the real problem with APF/WPO and also the APC/GPC is the canvas suits combined with the briefs.  When I first got into powerlifting the coach that I had insisted that I try canvas after I was hitting really good numbers in the poly suits.  The problem is that my squats are almost olympic style kind of dive bomb squats.  With the canvas you MUST go wider and it is almost impossible to hit parallel without loading the bar to way over your 1 rep max.  Combine that with 2 ply briefs underneath and  it is just as bad as the extreme open back multiply bench shirts.  I love powerlifting but I wish they would have just stuck with the single ply poly material equipment.  By the way, Justin Graalfs is actually a really good lifter and I'm sure he will tell them to take the record out of the books as Jim Grandick from the same gym did with his shitty squat.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2007, 06:49:05 PM »
he did go parallel

oakleyreplicas

• Getbig II
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2007, 07:51:58 PM »
You know the real problem with APF/WPO and also the APC/GPC is the canvas suits combined with the briefs.  When I first got into powerlifting the coach that I had insisted that I try canvas after I was hitting really good numbers in the poly suits.  The problem is that my squats are almost olympic style kind of dive bomb squats.  With the canvas you MUST go wider and it is almost impossible to hit parallel without loading the bar to way over your 1 rep max.  Combine that with 2 ply briefs underneath and  it is just as bad as the extreme open back multiply bench shirts.  I love powerlifting but I wish they would have just stuck with the single ply poly material equipment.  By the way, Justin Graalfs is actually a really good lifter and I'm sure he will tell them to take the record out of the books as Jim Grandick from the same gym did with his shitty squat.

Totally agree man.  All this gear is just a death trap waiting to happen.  IPF, u can't wear briefs either.  They can be good for up to 40+ lbs alone!

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2007, 03:01:03 AM »
hedgehog should have put this in the powerlifting forum.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2007, 06:48:31 AM »
Wade Hooper is the shit!

8)

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2007, 08:12:15 PM »

Depends on the federation.   What suit do you use.  If single ply, u will never get that much.  If its canvas of triple ply bullshit... then yes, you can.  (Sorry, but I hat anything other than single ply bud, lol)
 ;D

You are wrong about not getting 150lbs of carryover in a single ply squat suit w/no briefs.

You state you hat(e) anything other than single ply? If your in for a penny then your in for a pound.

Do you realize Some people hate your single ply?
sept 10th APF

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2007, 08:50:51 PM »
I've questioned Justin's lift since I read about it in PLUSA last month.  It was high....   Thats all there is about it, but the judges gave him two white lights, so it counts. 

As far as the gear goes, I really, really think we are getting close to the limit you will see because of gear.  The simple fact is that the back can only take so much compression.  You can put on a multi layer suit and briefs and what not to support the hips and knees, but you are not going to be able to support/counteract the compressive forces on the backbone.   We are just a stones throw away from seeing people blow out disks becuase of the compressive forces on their backs.  Its going to happen because no matter how much gear is used, the back is still putting up with the compressive forces of 1000, 1100, 1200+ lbs.   

My personal opinion is that the support gear used is not a big deal--as long as what is used is consistant in the specific competition.  If one person has a canvas suit, they better all be wearing one or if one person is in a poly suit, they better all be wearing one.  I watch the guys using double layered briefs and canvas suits for the "Holy cow" factor.   I watch single layer squatters like Kirk K. for respect of what he's able to do and I watch the raw lifters because they impress the hell out of me.  Its really that simple. 

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2007, 11:45:31 PM »
I've questioned Justin's lift since I read about it in PLUSA last month.  It was high....   Thats all there is about it, but the judges gave him two white lights, so it counts. 

As far as the gear goes, I really, really think we are getting close to the limit you will see because of gear.  The simple fact is that the back can only take so much compression.  You can put on a multi layer suit and briefs and what not to support the hips and knees, but you are not going to be able to support/counteract the compressive forces on the backbone.   We are just a stones throw away from seeing people blow out disks becuase of the compressive forces on their backs.  Its going to happen because no matter how much gear is used, the back is still putting up with the compressive forces of 1000, 1100, 1200+ lbs.   

My personal opinion is that the support gear used is not a big deal--as long as what is used is consistant in the specific competition.  If one person has a canvas suit, they better all be wearing one or if one person is in a poly suit, they better all be wearing one.  I watch the guys using double layered briefs and canvas suits for the "Holy cow" factor.   I watch single layer squatters like Kirk K. for respect of what he's able to do and I watch the raw lifters because they impress the hell out of me.  Its really that simple. 
The lift in question is a squat in a meet from last week.  The one in PLUSA was his old record.  If you thought that one was high wait till you see this one.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2007, 01:27:08 AM »
BTW the guy in the shirtless pic ain't me.

What does that have to do with anything? You know as well as anyone that on getbig it doesn't matter if it's you...If we SAY it's you...then it's you. :)(unless of coarse it is a GOOD picture that shows great muscularity....then of coarse,you're a liar)  You should be proud... you are the biggest 14 year old I have ever seen.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2007, 04:32:07 AM »

My personal belief is that federations that allows for more than one layer gear and squatting out of monolifts and "parallell" lifts, they're making a joke out of powerlifting.

Why?

For one: Fat people get more from lifting gear. Meaning if you find a real fatass, and train him into reasonable shape, he'll be able to squat some serious poundage within a year if he can use a monolift, briefs, canvas, the clown squatting depth, and everything else that these feds puts up out.

Nobody would be happier than me if everything except a belt would be banned in powerlifting.

Sure, it will take some serious poundage of the squats and the benchpresses. But all lifts will be legit lifts.

And no more of these lardasses like Rychlak being hailed as a world class lifter.

troponin mentioned that it was unjust to call Graalfs a tool. I don't see it that way.

How anyone could compete in a high-squat, multi-ply fed is beyond my comprehension.

Graalfs could compete in a single-ply fed, with legit squat depth. He doesn't.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise