Author Topic: Epic Tool "Squatting"  (Read 27152 times)

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
Re: Epic Tool "Squatting"
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2007, 04:16:16 AM »
I see reading comprehension is not considered an asset on this board. Where did I say anything about having to rotate shoulders IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM? Did I not just say (several times, IIRC) that this should NOT be done?

Unfortunately I cannot send you two a large-print booklet with chewable pages, so I will give you a very simple description:
1. Get into position
2. Lift hips from bench
    (the angle of torso and arms should end up at the precise pressing angle when hips are at their high point)
3. Extend arms
4. Replace hips on bench.

Now really think about what I am saying here. Get your buddy/mom to do this exact same thing, and see if you can grasp the basic idea. When doing this, there is (boy, do I hate repeating myself...) NO rotation of the acromioclavicular joint, NO rotation of anything else even vaguely related to shoulders. They act as a fulcrum; nothing more, nothing less.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2007, 11:17:40 AM »
WOW that's dangerous and stupid. phreak, it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to move the bar without shoulder rotation, that's what Majestic was telling you.

unless you honestly believe that it's a good idea to unrack the bar with your ass off the bench, which would have a neat three-pronged effect.

1) your lift would be disqualified from absolutely every federation in existence.

2) your back/legs would be compromised, in addition to the sheer stupidity of trying to move your hips up and down while holding a max lift.

3) you'll never be able to set your feet because of the strain on your body trying to support the weight.

but no, if you want a completely illegal lift that will never get passed in any meet you ever enter that will simultaneously open you up to a myriad of injuries (not to mention throwing your angles way off) then go for it. this advice is just BAFFLINGLY stupid. ???

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »
I see reading comprehension is not considered an asset on this board. Where did I say anything about having to rotate shoulders IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM? Did I not just say (several times, IIRC) that this should NOT be done?

Unfortunately I cannot send you two a large-print booklet with chewable pages, so I will give you a very simple description:
1. Get into position
2. Lift hips from bench
    (the angle of torso and arms should end up at the precise pressing angle when hips are at their high point)
3. Extend arms

Now really think about what I am saying here. Get your buddy/mom to do this exact same thing, and see if you can grasp the basic idea. When doing this, there is (boy, do I hate repeating myself...) NO rotation of the acromioclavicular joint, NO rotation of anything else even vaguely related to shoulders. They act as a fulcrum; nothing more, nothing less.

there will be rotation even with your idea. you cannot rotate your body enough to eliminate shoulder rotation and if you could that would be very dangerous.

just agree to disagree, you can't change the rule book by yourself.

8)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2007, 07:07:22 PM »

1. Get into position
2. Lift hips from bench
3. Extend arms

Theres no way in hell I could get the bar off the racks considering what I bench and my arm length. 

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2007, 08:34:54 AM »
Theres no way in hell I could get the bar off the racks considering what I bench and my arm length. 

That is exactly my point. some of the under 200 pound guys simply can't unrack heavy weights on a regular non adjustable bench.

i help guys with shirts every saturday and without an adjustable bench it is impossible for most guys to unrack and sometimes rack the weight. my buddy weighs 178 and i have to help him rack the weight because his arms are too short to get it over the lip.

now, with an adjustable rack height you can work around this.

8)

eliscominblue

• Getbig II
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2007, 04:58:35 AM »
Check out Ove Lehto in this video.  He doesn't use handoffs even in competition!  I am pro handoff, but thought this would be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-32fJ-Rr31Q

The squatting and deadlifts are also impressive.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2007, 02:33:27 AM »
Mike Miller showing how it's done in the IPA:

&NR=1

-Hedge
As empty as paradise