Author Topic: Problems with the Milos Workout  (Read 20466 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Problems with the Milos Workout
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
People that try the Milos workout for the first time always comment on how sore they were.  No Shit.  If I tried to run a 26 mile marathon I'm pretty sure my legs will be killing me for weeks.  That doesn't mean that I am growing and will be Mr. Olympia one day.

The major problem with the Milos method is that the body will get used to that workout and you will be working nothing more than your cardiovascular system.  I'm pretty sure if I trained for a marathon that after a couple weeks the soreness in my legs would go away as well.

The only benefit from the Milos program is to break-up a mundane routine that has grown stagnant.  Nothing wrong with working out with pyramid sets, drop set or straight sets for a few months then throwing in a week of the Milos method.  Doing his method all the time is not going to entice growth.  If it did he would have won more than one show out of the 175 he competed in.

It is especially funny seeing who is commenting on this method.  So far there are two asians and one female.  Basically people of smaller stature, small bone structures and the inability to grow muscularly as males of other cultures.

Giant sets, super sets, whatever you want to call it.  Pounding out 10 curls with 5 lb dumbells, the 10 pound preachers plus 2.5 pound concentration curls is not going to turn you into the hulk.  You will simply activate the Type I ( Slow Twitch muscle fibers ) and increase endurance but that's about it.

If I'm going to pay for some cheesy trainer, I'd rather do squats on a swiss ball.  HARDCORE!

ether

• Getbig IV
Re: Problems with the Milos Workout
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 11:15:47 AM »
How about trying to complete a workout while hogging 10 machines and scattering dumbells all over the gym.

Slightly difficult for people who have real jobs and can't workout at 1pm.

west coast willie

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:39:29 AM »
sarcevs gym is 5minutesfrom my house. Weve had some crazyworkouts there on leg day.   Milos knows a thing or two about pain.               

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • http://www.milossarcev.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 12:13:52 PM »
People that try the Milos workout for the first time always comment on how sore they were.  No Shit.  If I tried to run a 26 mile marathon I'm pretty sure my legs will be killing me for weeks.  That doesn't mean that I am growing and will be Mr. Olympia one day.

The major problem with the Milos method is that the body will get used to that workout and you will be working nothing more than your cardiovascular system.  I'm pretty sure if I trained for a marathon that after a couple weeks the soreness in my legs would go away as well.

The only benefit from the Milos program is to break-up a mundane routine that has grown stagnant.  Nothing wrong with working out with pyramid sets, drop set or straight sets for a few months then throwing in a week of the Milos method.  Doing his method all the time is not going to entice growth.  If it did he would have won more than one show out of the 175 he competed in.

It is especially funny seeing who is commenting on this method.  So far there are two asians and one female.  Basically people of smaller stature, small bone structures and the inability to grow muscularly as males of other cultures.

Giant sets, super sets, whatever you want to call it.  Pounding out 10 curls with 5 lb dumbells, the 10 pound preachers plus 2.5 pound concentration curls is not going to turn you into the hulk.  You will simply activate the Type I ( Slow Twitch muscle fibers ) and increase endurance but that's about it.

If I'm going to pay for some cheesy trainer, I'd rather do squats on a swiss ball.  HARDCORE!

How about trying to sprint entire marathon?

Now - THAT would be my goal if I was marathon runner...but I am ...not.

The only problem with my training is: criticising without actually trying...

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 12:14:42 PM »
sarcevs gym is 5minutesfrom my house. Weve had some crazyworkouts there on leg day.   Milos knows a thing or two about pain.               

Tomorrow 2 PM - about 10 of us are doing LEGS...Want to join?

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 12:37:19 PM »

Exactly!
and keep moving!

mdgkmg

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »

aren't you the guy who got owned by his wife. refused to do a pullup for her cuz of your next day back workout? ring a bell. next time she asks you come on jump on up there bang out a set show off your manliness. instead of hanging back like a pussy and saying "i dont wanna tire my back before i work it tommorow".

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 12:49:54 PM »
How about trying to complete a workout while hogging 10 machines and scattering dumbells all over the gym.

Slightly difficult for people who have real jobs and can't workout at 1pm.

I wonder the exact same thing!  It's hard enough finding a good gym, but to find an empty one :o ::)

Milos how do you do this type of training with a full gym???  Do you allow your members to do the same??
just not good enough

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »
Milos.  I have no doubt that I probably wouldn't be able to finish the leg workout but I don't try to do 10 excersices back to back with light weight.  I also don't like spending a full day in the gym.
No doubt I would do it and feel sick and sore for a few days.  The first time I took a karate class and ONLY did stretches, I could barely walk up the stairs for a week.  I'm pretty sure from that stretching alone I didn't build massive Olympia quality legs.  Your Method is a short term SHOCK program.  Nothing more.  It is for those that have grown stale from their regular workouts, they will do your high volume routine for a couple weeks then adapt and then return back to the old program and most likely find the weight a little lighter.  Shock routines are basic Weider principles wether you do 3,4 or 10 back to back super sets.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 12:52:55 PM »
Quote from: Milos_Sarcev

Milos when I was 16 , 17 years ago I tried this routine and still employ it today. This is not new!  I have hit many plateaus in my workouts and I need a shock routine to break it up.  Supersets do nothing more than build up a resistence to lactic acid buildup which is done through enhancing your endurance and cardiovascular system.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »
Here are examples of the type of routines I do:

My quads routine:

4 X squats
4 X leg press
4 X leg extensions

My back routine:

4 X deadlift
4 X t-bar rows
4 X barbell rows

My chest routine:

4 X bench press
4 X incline dumbbells
4 X incline flyes

Going as heavy as possible.  These types of workouts have always produced results for me that I'm happy with.  The best results?  Maybe not, but slow and steady progress.  Also, a juiced trainer is a different animal from a natural trainer.
those workouts are all you need Matt.

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 01:02:50 PM »
Mon of Steele - I see your argument dude. And you are pretty much right about the 100reps with 5lbs dumbbells or whatever everybody joke about. Dude all these "new revolutionary" concepts are made up slightly with a twisted turn by a personal trainer or a professional BB. I mean think about it history repeats itself.  If every new decade had a personal trainer or a BB inventing a workout he'd be a millionaire by now. It's like these damn "bowflex" or "abs crap" commercials you see.

But if that's working out for Milos's clients, why not let it be other than voicing your opinion dude.
#

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 01:03:42 PM »

So this comment has no merit?

Matt C… Jeez I didn't know that my opinion was so well valued. Thanks for the compliment.

I have been training on a method of Giant sets created by 1972 AAU Mr. America Steve Michalik for a few months. It is very similar to Milos workout but of course not exactly the same. A member on ironage is one of Steve’s clients so he has been giving accounts of his training, results and answering questions people have about the how’s and why’s of this method.  

For years I have owned my own business and can train mid-day when the gym is almost empty. I line up several machines and if someone jumps on one I simply go to the next one available and then come back when the other person has finished their set. When you train this way, you can't expect everyone to get out of your way. You have to respect the other members.

Another way to do this that is slightly more practical is to do several drop sets on each exercise but still do several exercises. It's not exactly the same but a little more practical in a busier gym as long as other members aren't waiting for the machine, bench, rack or what have you.

One way that Michalik handles the use of equipment is that he trains 5 to 7 people at a time. If they take 5 to 7 machines, no big deal.  

I don't recall Milos ever saying that this method would work in any gym at any time of day. He has a method that works, he’s willing to share it, he has an awesome gym. Personally I’m thankful to Milos for his contributions.  
and keep moving!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 01:08:35 PM »

And I wrong in saying most of the workouts consist of tri-setting the same bodyparts with little to know rest?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
Cool.

I would consider it if Steve Michalik wasn't a complete dumb fucking idiot.

In general, I tend not to give much credence to opinions by those who have served time in mental wards.  That's just me though!
i think Michalik was crazy and reckless but not dumb.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 01:27:36 PM »
Did you see the tool on "The Man whose arms exploded"?  He was blamely steroids for all of his problems.  Saying that steroids "plant a seed" which later result in cancer, heart disease, stroke, or any other array of chronic illness.  Any scientific evidence to prove any of this?  0.
yeah i saw that, he did sound like a jackass when he said that, he is also a hypocrite considering that he was a walking pharmacy when he competed.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 01:32:35 PM »

How did that back workout go after saving your energy from the playground pullup?

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 01:34:04 PM »
Did you see the tool on "The Man whose arms exploded"?  He was blamely steroids for all of his problems.  Saying that steroids "plant a seed" which later result in cancer, heart disease, stroke, or any other array of chronic illness.  Any scientific evidence to prove any of this?  0.

The same can be said of people who quite smoking. They become overly enthusianstic in thier newfound lifestyle. But does that qualify as someone who spent time in a mental ward?

And if we want to throw that mud... look at all the people who follow Mentzer.

Let's not go there please. Let's just look at the method and see if it has merit.
and keep moving!

mdgkmg

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »
ok my last post was a quote and didn't turn out right. so here we go. mon-of-steele is kinda stupid. he may be buff as hell but he wouldn't even do a pullup to show off to his wife. come on show your manliness not how much estrogen you have. saying you have a back workout the next day is an excuse you use against girls who aren't your wife that way they'll leave you alone and quit trying to get you to cheat on your wife. not something you say so you don't have to show your wife how much a man you are. come on.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 01:54:56 PM »
Man, I've got to get out to the west coast and go to Milos gym for a day (I am in New York)! The man has lots of enthusiasm and is very gracious in offering people on the board a chance to try out his gym/workout.

As for how well his program works, what's the risk in trying? I have been using Serge Nubret's methods for a couple of months now and the results have surprised me. I have gained size and broken through a few strength plateaus that I have had for a long time.  I did this by using 30% lighter weights than I normally use for my  workouts. A total shocker.

I am sure Milos' program might be an eye opener too. Variety is the spice of life!

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 02:23:30 PM »
And I wrong in saying most of the workouts consist of tri-setting the same bodyparts with little to no rest?

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 02:52:54 PM »
I do not have the expertise to debate Mentzer and he was very intelligent in a lot of ways.  I think his problem was assuming his techniques work perfectly well to everyone, across the board.  In his gym workout DVD, he said that some techniques can't work for everyone because not everyone is a genetic freak on steroids - well, that is exactly what he was!

http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/mikeandraymentzerinthegymdvd.html

When I threw the Mentzer comment in I was referring to his mental "irregularities" as you did with Michalik. 
and keep moving!

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 04:06:11 PM »
I haven't researched all of Milos' principles in depth, but there is no guru who has the magic bullet.  Naive people will want to believe there is though.  That is why there are books  promising they have the cures for diabetes or the secrets to living to 120 or whatever else - people who are naive will buy these books of course.  People are sometimes irrational, want easy answers, want to forego scientific research, etc, and want to believe there is a magic bullet.

Eat a healthy diet and exercise.  Is this clear to everyone?  CONSISTENCY is the only secret.  I may look like nothing compared to Milos or his team, but I still have random strangers in the gym ask me what special exercises I do to look as I do and so on.  It was when I started getting asked these questions that I became aware of the false assumptions people make, e.g., assuming some special techniques exist when they don't.

Special techniques will not make Luke's physique flow together the way Milos' physique did or make Milos' arms as big as Luke's, which should be proof enough there is no secret which can take you past a genetic limit.

My understanding is that Milos is more perceptive and observant (intelligent) than the average guru.  He will be faster to recognize a person's needs in the gym and make sure they are accomodated.  That is my take on it.

I would not improve beyond 3-5% with Milos by my side 24/7 helping me out.  We cannot forget genetics.  Maybe a top pro is willing to pay for 3-5% improvements, but I am not.  But it is the free market and all the power to Milos for doing well in business.  :)

PS - hard work does not always equate to productive work.  Ronnie Coleman would probably do better this year if he took it a bit easier.

You are what you THINK...
Mind is that powerful - so with limited perception and limited beliefs you can't expect "exceptional results"...

Well, some of us DO... ;)

I am not a "guru"...and I certainly never wanted to become a "trainer". That was NOT on my list of priorities or even goals...
I became accidental coach and trainer of many champions - as I was asked some questions for years and my answers were bringing exceptional results (IN VARIOUS SPORTS I might add)...

So, to simplify: "Eat a healthy diet and exercise" - is for someone who wants to do just that - eat healthy and exercise...For others that want to achieve ultimate excellence in their chosen occupation (sport in this instance) - you better explore and research EVERYTHING you can to become THE BEST YOU CAN BE in your chosen profession.
Learning is also not a destination...it is a journey - like so many things in life...so once eat healthy becomes eat HEALTHIEST, most efficient diet to accomplish your ultimate goals and find THE BEST METHOD(S) to exercise for the same goal - you'll realize that indeed - like everything in life - there are different LEVELS for everything...and you can stay on beginner's level for life (Matt C's philosophy) or you might want to try something a LITTLE more advanced? ;)

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 04:09:20 PM »
That's going to be comical. 10 people all working out together.

While we wait for an exercise, we'll have refreshments and a movie playing.  ;D

It'll be interesting to say the least!

Waiting?
I don't think so ;).

finurface

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 04:26:06 PM »

You are what you THINK...
Mind is that powerful - so with limited perception and limited beliefs you can't expect "exceptional results"...

Well, some of us DO... ;)

I am not a "guru"...and I certainly never wanted to become a "trainer". That was NOT on my list of priorities or even goals...
I became accidental coach and trainer of many champions - as I was asked some questions for years and my answers were bringing exceptional results (IN VARIOUS SPORTS I might add)...

So, to simplify: "Eat a healthy diet and exercise" - is for someone who wants to do just that - eat healthy and exercise...For others that want to achieve ultimate excellence in their chosen occupation (sport in this instance) - you better explore and research EVERYTHING you can to become THE BEST YOU CAN BE in your chosen profession.
Learning is also not a destination...it is a journey - like so many things in life...so once eat healthy becomes eat HEALTHIEST, most efficient diet to accomplish your ultimate goals and find THE BEST METHOD(S) to exercise for the same goal - you'll realize that indeed - like everything in life - there are different LEVELS for everything...and you can stay on beginner's level for life (Matt C's philosophy) or you might want to try something a LITTLE more advanced? ;)

like steroids ?

why didnt u achieve "ultimate excellence" as a natural  ::)

you really dispise "normal /natural "people dont you? it sweats from every of your words, even if you try your best to be hypocrit.

Every people you live with, train etc, are on steroids or other drugs...

Its no "normal" "healthy" or "ultimately excellent" life...

Ok, you think natural people who dont achieve 'ultimate excellence ' (through the use of drugs...) are shites, we get it.

What i think is funny is ....  would you be "ultimately excellent" without steroids?

Sorry, but i prefer to admire people who are successful in any aspect of life without the use of drugs...

You re one egocentrical armchair god.