Author Topic: A Little Bit of History about Our Two Major Parties  (Read 16323 times)

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
Re: A Little Bit of History about Our Two Major Parties
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 03:11:45 PM »
Democrats provide a handup with some subsistence assistance.

Republicans give trillion dollar tax cuts to millionaire/billionaires.

And Democrats hit up the poor with payroll taxes, gas taxes, registration fees, high property taxes, taxes on phone and cables services, food, etc. The list goes on and on.

There is enough blame to go around here. When the elite rich liberals quit living like rock stars in their 28,000 square foot mansions and their $400.00 hair cuts, and private jets they can speak about being the champions of the poor and needy.

The above statement also goes for rich conservatives that say the look out for the common man.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 04:18:50 PM »
Regardless, a majority of blacks today vote with the mindset that the Republicans have always been "yesterday's Democrats".  Would you agree with that?

Actually black people have fell under the spell that all Dems are kinda like JFK and Bobby, who were about Civil Rights...after that...it's all she wrote...

But with Repubs, they all seem to be banded together by hate and that they are the only ones that access to God. Any black person who joins, is either tired of being "taken for granted" by the Dems, or they are conservative.... Not realizing that both sides will take you for granted

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2007, 06:02:52 PM »
Democrats provide a handup with some subsistence assistance.

Republicans give trillion dollar tax cuts to millionaire/billionaires.

Democrats, in general, are all about redistribution of wealth. 

Some Republicans want to give tax cuts to those who pay the most taxes. 

OneBigMan

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2007, 04:15:25 AM »
As far as republicans being denigrated by democrats, I still wish Trent Lott did not say these things as far as when he said, "I want to say this about my state; when Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it, and if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had  all these problems over all these years, either."

Even I translated these comments as Lott's secretly coded message to KKK and aryan nation types that he wished this country was still segregated especially since Strom Thurmond ran for president in 1948 as a Dixiecrat on a segregationist platform. The senator's words sounded unmistakably like a repudiation of southern desegregation and the civil rights movement.

Trent Lott reminds me so much of senator Robert Byrd who is a democrat.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2007, 09:35:37 AM »
Democrats, in general, are all about redistribution of wealth. 

Some Republicans want to give tax cuts to those who pay the most taxes. 

all about?

Who convinced you to believe this horseshit?

Whats' the point anyway. 

The Rapture will be here soon and you won't have any pockets to hold your money while you're flying naked through space and I assume you won't need it in heaven.

Frankly, the Dems main problem is that they don't have any coherent core principles.

No one really knows what they "all about"

BTW - could you please once and for all explain how this "redistribution" will actually work.

You are a christian after all so you can't be against helping the poor right?

Jesus says numerous times to sell all your possesion and give it to the poor.   

That sounds a lot like redistribution of wealth doesn't it?

Maybe the Dems are all just good Christians and are trying to help the rich folk get into heaven

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2007, 09:37:53 AM »
all about?

Who convinced you to believe this horseshit?

Whats' the point anyway. 

The Rapture will be here soon and you won't have any pockets to hold your money while you're flying naked through space and I assume you won't need it in heaven.

Frankly, the Dems main problem is that they don't have any coherent core principles.

No one really knows what they "all about"

BTW - could you please once and for all explain how this "redistribution" will actually work.

You are a christian after all so you can't be against helping the poor right?

Jesus says numerous times to sell all your possesion and give it to the poor.   

That sounds a lot like redistribution of wealth doesn't it?

Maybe the Dems are all just good Christians and are trying to help the rich folk get into heaven

What?  lol.  Talk about rambling.  What was your question again?  lol . . . .

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2007, 09:40:51 AM »
What?  lol.  Talk about rambling.  What was your question again?  lol . . . .

you say the dems are "all about" redistribution of wealth

explain how this will work

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2007, 09:51:01 AM »
you say the dems are "all about" redistribution of wealth

explain how this will work

Before or after I talk about "the rapture"?  lol . . . 

I've already explained this to you and, in fact, you agreed with me:  Take from people who make the most money, spend the money elsewhere.  I suggest watching the movie Robin Hood for a more thorough explanation (or Robin Hood Men in Tights, which is much funnier).   

I was just talking to one of my (liberal) employees about this the other day.  She admitted she has no problem with the "redistribution of wealth."   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2007, 09:58:44 AM »
Before or after I talk about "the rapture"?  lol . . . 

I've already explained this to you and, in fact, you agreed with me:  Take from people who make the most money, spend the money elsewhere.   I suggest watching the movie Robin Hood for a more thorough explanation (or Robin Hood Men in Tights, which is much funnier).   

I was just talking to one of my (liberal) employees about this the other day.  She admitted she has no problem with the "redistribution of wealth."   

I don't recall agreeing with you about anything on this issue.

What does "Take from people who make the most money, spend the money elsewhere" actually mean.

BE SPECIFIC.    If this is what the Dems are ALL ABOUT then you should be able to explain it in more detail.

You can ignore my baiting on your Christian hypocrisy.

I'm sure you've read the bible and you're familiar with Luke 18:22

"And when Jesus heard it, he said to him, "One thing you still lack.  Sell all that you have and distribute
to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow
me."

Now that's "redistribution of wealth"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »

What does "Take from people who make the most money, spend the money elsewhere" actually mean.

BE SPECIFIC.    If this is what the Dems are ALL ABOUT then you should be able to explain it in more detail.

"And when Jesus heard it, he said to him, "One thing you still lack.  Sell all that you have and distribute
me."

As you suggested, I will ignore your dumb comments about my "Christian hypocrisy."  Feel free to start a thread about money and wealth on the Religion board.  I'll participate.   :)

Quote from: Beach Bum on April 11, 2007, 02:53:23 PM
4.   I said the following is redistribution of wealth  "In other words, they will tax a big oil company and/or a high income earner and spend the revenue received from these companies/individuals elsewhere."  You agreed:  "yes, that's the whole point."

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
As you suggested, I will ignore your dumb comments about my "Christian hypocrisy."  Feel free to start a thread about money and wealth on the Religion board.  I'll participate.   :)

I never debate religion and I've never post on the religion board (I've only looked at it once or twice) 

In my opinion it's pointless to debate with someone who holds a position without evidence or in contrary to evidence.

Besides, my personal belief is anyone who holds a fundamentalist belief in any religion is mentally ill (for real) which again makes for a pointless discussion

To the quote (actually your quote) - you've taken that out of context of a larger discussion which was about the inevitable rising costs of fossil fuel and how to finance the development of alternatives.  It was not about taxation in general nor was it about a generic "redistribution of wealth".  It was about taxing those companies who are raping us (the human race) and using that money to develop alternatives which we MUST eventually develop. I went on to explain that those very same companies could also participate in this development, hence the wealth that was "taken" from them could also be used by them. 

This has nothing to do with the "Dems are ALL ABOUT redistribution of wealth

BTW - you STILL haven't explained your idiotic "Dems are all about redistribution of wealth"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2007, 12:26:58 PM »
I never debate religion and I've never post on the religion board (I've only looked at it once or twice) 

In my opinion it's pointless to debate with someone who holds a position without evidence or in contrary to evidence.

Besides, my personal belief is anyone who holds a fundamentalist belief in any religion is mentally ill (for real) which again makes for a pointless discussion

To the quote (actually your quote) - you've taken that out of context of a larger discussion which was about the inevitable rising costs of fossil fuel and how to finance the development of alternatives.  It was not about taxation in general nor was it about a generic "redistribution of wealth".  It was about taxing those companies who are raping us (the human race) and using that money to develop alternatives which we MUST eventually develop. I went on to explain that those very same companies could also participate in this development, hence the wealth that was "taken" from them could also be used by them. 

This has nothing to do with the "Dems are ALL ABOUT redistribution of wealth

BTW - you STILL haven't explained your idiotic "Dems are all about redistribution of wealth"

Oh that's funny.  So you really didn't say what I just quoted?   ::) 

And we have already had this discussion.  Feel free to read my comments again. http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=140726.0

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2007, 01:04:59 PM »
Oh that's funny.  So you really didn't say what I just quoted?   ::) 

And we have already had this discussion.  Feel free to read my comments again. http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=140726.0

again, that was a discussion about taxing oil companies and using that revenue to develop alternative fuels.

I agreed that the point was to use the extra revenue to develop alternatives

I did NOT affirm your simple minded idea that the dems are all about redistribution of wealth

Do you see the difference?

putting that aside for the moment I find it ironic that a devout Christian such as yourself is more concerned about your own personal wealth over helping those that have less.   Wasn't Jesus all about helping those less fortunate than you and even more.

In Matthew 5 and Luke 6 he says to give extra to those who steal from you, give to all who beg from you, lend without expecting repayment. In Luke 12 he says to beware all covetousness, "sell your possessions and give alms", to provide yourself with treasure in Heaven.  In Luke 14, "when you give a feast, do not invite the rich, lest they invite you in return, and you be repaid.  But invite the poor, the maimed, the blind, and you will be blessed, for they cannot repay you.  You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just."

Are you starting to see the irony yet?

Perhaps I don't understand your complete position.

Apart from the oil companies - how are the dems going to redistribute this "wealth"

Let's say they were going to take some small amount from the most wealthy and just help those in need

What's the problem with that?

WWJD?

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2007, 02:13:42 PM »

me."

You realize that the verse is about the man willingly forsaking his material wealth for spiritual wealth. Big difference.

It's not the job of the government to decide who gets what. That decision belongs to us.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2007, 02:45:15 PM »
You realize that the verse is about the man willingly forsaking his material wealth for spiritual wealth. Big difference.

It's not the job of the government to decide who gets what. That decision belongs to us.

That is certainly one interpretation but why do the Catholic clergy have to takes vows of poverty?  Can't they have some bit of wealth without still forsaking their spiritual wealth?  The same thing is very common in other religions too. 

Anway, I'm still waiting for BB to flesh out his claim that the "Dems are all about redistribution of wealth"

Frankly, the Dems main problem is that no one knows what they're about.  They have no coherent platform

The idea that they're just about taking from the rich and giving to the poor is ridiculous and simplistic

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2007, 03:15:33 PM »
That is certainly one interpretation but why do the Catholic clergy have to takes vows of poverty?  Can't they have some bit of wealth without still forsaking their spiritual wealth?  The same thing is very common in other religions too. 

Anway, I'm still waiting for BB to flesh out his claim that the "Dems are all about redistribution of wealth"

Frankly, the Dems main problem is that no one knows what they're about.  They have no coherent platform

The idea that they're just about taking from the rich and giving to the poor is ridiculous and simplistic

LOL... sorry, Straw but catholic (church) and poverty.... lol... man oh man....but I see your point.

I do agree that the Dems have no coherent platform. I don't think they have for a long time now. They're all over the map and as of late the Republicans have been the same way.

Both parties try to hard to please everyone they please no one.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2007, 03:16:50 PM »
again, that was a discussion about taxing oil companies and using that revenue to develop alternative fuels.

I agreed that the point was to use the extra revenue to develop alternatives

I did NOT affirm your simple minded idea that the dems are all about redistribution of wealth

Do you see the difference?

putting that aside for the moment I find it ironic that a devout Christian such as yourself is more concerned about your own personal wealth over helping those that have less.   Wasn't Jesus all about helping those less fortunate than you and even more.

In Matthew 5 and Luke 6 he says to give extra to those who steal from you, give to all who beg from you, lend without expecting repayment. In Luke 12 he says to beware all covetousness, "sell your possessions and give alms", to provide yourself with treasure in Heaven.  In Luke 14, "when you give a feast, do not invite the rich, lest they invite you in return, and you be repaid.  But invite the poor, the maimed, the blind, and you will be blessed, for they cannot repay you.  You will be repaid at the resurrection of the just."

Are you starting to see the irony yet?

Perhaps I don't understand your complete position.

Apart from the oil companies - how are the dems going to redistribute this "wealth"

Let's say they were going to take some small amount from the most wealthy and just help those in need

What's the problem with that?

WWJD?

Uh . . . ya.  O.K.  I think I'll stick with your original comments from the Donkey thread.  And if you want to read my comments, again, about redistribution of wealth, go back and read the link I just posted for you.  I'll not repeat my comments, again.  

And here you are asking me to discuss/debate a religious issue, which you just said you never do:

« Reply #35 on: Quote from: Straw Man Today at 10:24:00 AM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least wait till to you start another thread to contradict yourself.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2007, 03:19:21 PM »

What he said.   :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2007, 04:34:21 PM »
LOL... sorry, Straw but catholic (church) and poverty.... lol... man oh man....but I see your point.

I do agree that the Dems have no coherent platform. I don't think they have for a long time now. They're all over the map and as of late the Republicans have been the same way.

Both parties try to hard to please everyone they please no one.

I did specify the clergy and not the church itself. 

The individual clergy own nothing.  The Church owns everything. 

Just like any other cult

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
Uh . . . ya.  O.K.  I think I'll stick with your original comments from the Donkey thread.  And if you want to read my comments, again, about redistribution of wealth, go back and read the link I just posted for you.  I'll not repeat my comments, again.  

And here you are asking me to discuss/debate a religious issue, which you just said you never do:

At least wait till to you start another thread to contradict yourself.  ::)

I've read the thread.  Why don't you show me somewhere were I agreed that the Dems were all about redistribution of wealth.  I gave you an example of how we could tax oil companies and use those funds to finance the investment in alternative energy.  Which I've now repeated at least 3 times.

I'm not debating your religious beliefs.  I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of your fear that someone might try to raise your taxes and use that money to help those less fortunate.   

Either way, you've still (as always) given no example (other than the oil company thread) about your redistribution theory. 

Just another simple minded theory that sees the world as Black and White when it's really about 500 shades of gray.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2007, 06:47:35 PM »
I've read the thread.  Why don't you show me somewhere were I agreed that the Dems were all about redistribution of wealth.  I gave you an example of how we could tax oil companies and use those funds to finance the investment in alternative energy.  Which I've now repeated at least 3 times.

I'm not debating your religious beliefs.  I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of your fear that someone might try to raise your taxes and use that money to help those less fortunate.   

Either way, you've still (as always) given no example (other than the oil company thread) about your redistribution theory. 

Just another simple minded theory that sees the world as Black and White when it's really about 500 shades of gray.

Dude if you read the thread, including the quote I pulled for you and you still don't get it, then I can't help you. 

And you're not debating religious beliefs, you're just quoting the Bible chapter and verse . . . lol . . . . Okay Straw Man.  Whatever you say.  I'm sure, with as much as I run my cyber mouth, that I contradict myself on occasion, but it's typically not in the same thread.  lol . . . .

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2007, 07:50:04 PM »
Dude if you read the thread, including the quote I pulled for you and you still don't get it, then I can't help you. 

And you're not debating religious beliefs, you're just quoting the Bible chapter and verse . . . lol . . . . Okay Straw Man.  Whatever you say.  I'm sure, with as much as I run my cyber mouth, that I contradict myself on occasion, but it's typically not in the same thread.  lol . . . .

Beach Bum
Getbig V

« Reply #34 on: Today at 10:07:36 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Straw Man on Today at 09:58:44 AM

me."

As you suggested, I will ignore your dumb comments about my "Christian hypocrisy."  Feel free to start a thread about money and wealth on the Religion board.  I'll participate.   

4.   I said the following is redistribution of wealth  "In other words, they will tax a big oil company and/or a high income earner and spend the revenue received from these companies/individuals elsewhere."  You agreed:  "yes, that's the whole point."

Report to moderator    Logged

I can't find any quote from me

the only thing I can find is you quoting yourself

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2007, 09:54:24 PM »

I can't find any quote from me

the only thing I can find is you quoting yourself

LOL.  You are a riot.  You just quoted yourself.  The first part of paragraph 4 is a quote from me.  The second part of paragraph 4 is a quote from you, agreeing with me.  You can't be serious.  LOL . . . . 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2007, 07:22:04 AM »
And Democrats hit up the poor with payroll taxes, gas taxes, registration fees, high property taxes, taxes on phone and cables services, food, etc. The list goes on and on.

There is enough blame to go around here. When the elite rich liberals quit living like rock stars in their 28,000 square foot mansions and their $400.00 hair cuts, and private jets they can speak about being the champions of the poor and needy.

The above statement also goes for rich conservatives that say the look out for the common man.
Payroll taxes were never raised higher than when Ronald Reagan signed the largest tax increase in US history raising the payroll tax almost 50%.  Republicans raise taxes just like Democrats.

I don't worry about $400 haircuts or 28000 sq ft homes b/c those things are peanuts compared to the wealth disparity in this country, the veritable flat wages (since 1973), the nonenforcement of anti-trust laws and the demise of the union.

Someone has to speak with a populist voice on behalf of the poor and middle class.  If people are to think like you that Gore and Edwards are hypocrites because they are successful yet still have a conscience showing real compassion for the needy, then nothing of consequence will get done on behalf of the poor/middle class.

Let the representatve's deeds mark their character with respect to aiding the poor/middle class and not the trappings of their living conditions.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2007, 07:32:00 AM »
Payroll taxes were never raised higher than when Ronald Reagan signed the largest tax increase in US history raising the payroll tax almost 50%.  Republicans raise taxes just like Democrats.

I don't worry about $400 haircuts or 28000 sq ft homes b/c those things are peanuts compared to the wealth disparity in this country, the veritable flat wages (since 1973), the nonenforcement of anti-trust laws and the demise of the union.

Someone has to speak with a populist voice on behalf of the poor and middle class.  If people are to think like you that Gore and Edwards are hypocrites because they are successful yet still have a conscience showing real compassion for the needy, then nothing of consequence will get done on behalf of the poor/middle class.

Let the representatve's deeds mark their character with respect to aiding the poor/middle class and not the trappings of their living conditions.

What exactly have Breck Grrl and Algore done for the poor? They're just two of thousands of politicians that control the mass population through taxation and layers of government red tape.

I think Edwards and Gore are hypocrites for several reasons but I want to stick to taxes.

Go watch America: Freedom to Facism and tell me if you don't think the Democrat and Republicans are different sides of the same beast.