Author Topic: So I attended a Mormon Church . . .  (Read 15320 times)

genrommel74

• Getbig III
Re: So I attended a Mormon Church . . .
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 08:38:59 AM »
The garment is a commitent you make. It is a reminder to the wearer to keep gods commandents. To the average person i would say no that it is not oaky to ask what underwear they wear. But mormons make that commitent, i have meet mormons that dont wear the garments, but i have never a mormon that though wearing the garment was wrong

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 08:44:25 AM »
The garment is a commitent you make. It is a reminder to the wearer to keep gods commandents. To the average person i would say no that it is not oaky to ask what underwear they wear. But mormons make that commitent, i have meet mormons that dont wear the garments, but i have never a mormon that though wearing the garment was wrong

what is the church's position on interracial unions. I know y'all allow Indians (dotheads) to intermingle, b/c there was one leading the study when I went to y'all's church, but what about ay-rabs, blacks, etc?

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 09:16:26 AM »
what is the church's position on interracial unions. I know y'all allow Indians (dotheads) to intermingle, b/c there was one leading the study when I went to y'all's church, but what about ay-rabs, blacks, etc?

IF you can make it work then you can marry anyone that you want.(different sex that is) They dont suggest it because marriage is hard enough without race issues, but if you want too and you think that she is the right one, then you can marry who you please. And they suggest that you marry another member of the church, for the same reasons as above(Mariage is hard enough). But you dont have too, but if you do marry outside the church then you cannot get married in the temple. to get married in the temple then you have both must be worthy members of the church

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 09:25:42 AM »
IF you can make it work then you can marry anyone that you want.(different sex that is) They dont suggest it because marriage is hard enough without race issues, but if you want too and you think that she is the right one, then you can marry who you please. And they suggest that you marry another member of the church, for the same reasons as above(Mariage is hard enough). But you dont have too, but if you do marry outside the church then you cannot get married in the temple. to get married in the temple then you have both must be worthy members of the church

1.  Don't suggest interracial unions = discourage it? in which case, it's just like my grandmother's closet racism. I don't care one way or the other on interracial unions, but it seems like singling out "race issues" as the complicating factor in a marriage is a cop-out. 

2.  Why is your username general rommel?

3.  What's the deal with the "mark of cain"?

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 09:50:42 AM »
1.  Don't suggest interracial unions = discourage it? in which case, it's just like my grandmother's closet racism. I don't care one way or the other on interracial unions, but it seems like singling out "race issues" as the complicating factor in a marriage is a cop-out. 

2.  Why is your username general rommel?

3.  What's the deal with the "mark of cain"?

1. It is not discouraged at all if you want marry someone outside your race to do it then do. And racism implies that one race is better than another. Example like whites are better than blacks ,etc. the church has members from all races. In my ward(congregation) there is a white man married to an asian woman, there is also a white man married to a latino woman, and also there is a white woman married to a black man. There is a black man married to a black woman, there is also a white man married to a white woman. They are all treated just the same.
2. I think that rommel was a great military commander, i am not a nazi, i do believe hitler was evil. I do not condone was the nazi did. I like rommel because of his military career that is all
3. All i know is that Cain was given a mark i dont know what it is or what it implies.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2007, 10:51:53 AM »
Didn't Mormons teach that the mark of Cain was black skin? 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2007, 10:54:29 AM »
Didn't Mormons teach that the mark of Cain was black skin? 

yeah, I was watching Big Love the other night, and this chick from one of the "compounds" said that Jimi Hendrix had the "mark of Cain."

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2007, 11:05:41 AM »
yeah, I was watching Big Love the other night, and this chick from one of the "compounds" said that Jimi Hendrix had the "mark of Cain."
Please in the name of that is good and holy in this world do not take what is said on BIg Love as what the mormon church believes. We are not polygamists, if you are in the church and you practice polygamy, then you are excommunicated. I have heard that Cains mark was his black skin, but that doesnt mean that white people are better or that black or people of colored are more sinful or anything like that. It just means that his mark was his black skin

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2007, 11:08:46 AM »
Please in the name of that is good and holy in this world do not take what is said on BIg Love as what the mormon church believes. We are not polygamists, if you are in the church and you practice polygamy, then you are excommunicated. I have heard that Cains mark was his black skin, but that doesnt mean that white people are better or that black or people of colored are more sinful or anything like that. It just means that his mark was his black skin

don't worry, I realize Big Love is a tv show. ;D 

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2007, 11:10:39 AM »
don't worry, I realize Big Love is a tv show. ;D 
Thanks. . . . Some people do

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2007, 11:24:45 AM »

That doesn't appear to be consistent with what Mormon leaders have said in the past:

Church leader Bruce R. McConkie, on the denial of equality for Africans: 

“NEGROES IN THIS LIFE ARE DENIED THE PRIESTHOOD; under NO circumstances can they hold this delegation of authority from the Almighty. The gospel message of salvation IS NOT CARRIED AFFIRMATIVELY TO THEM... “NEGROES ARE NOT EQUAL WITH OTHER RACES WHERE THE RECEIPT OF CERTAIN SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS ARE CONCERNED...” (Mormon Doctrine, 1958, p. 477)

Future President of the Mormon church, Joseph Fielding Smith wrote:

“Not only was Cain called upon to suffer, but because of his wickedness HE BECAME THE FATHER OF AN INFERIOR RACE.”
(The Way to Perfection, page 101)

More from Smith:

“There is a reason why one man is BORN BLACK and with OTHER DISADVANTAGES, while another is BORN WHITE with great advantages. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient; more or less, to the laws that were given us there.”
(Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, page 61)

The Mark of Cain

The Mormon prophet Brigham Young on the appearence of Africans:

“Cain slew his brother....and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the FLAT NOSE AND BLACK SKIN...”
(Journal of Discourses, Vol. 7, pages 290-291)

From a Mormon Publication:

“Their skin is quite black, their hair woolly and black, THEIR INTELLIGENCE STUNTED, and they appear never to have arisen from the most savage state of barbarism.” The Juvenile Instructor, Vol. 3, page 157)

http://www.realmormonhistory.com/god&skin.htm

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 11:26:56 AM »
I think the LDS have eschewed the position that blacks are inferior, just like they did plural marriage. things evolve.

P.S. You should weigh in on the Naomi Watts v Meryl Streep debate on the Girlie board.

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 11:36:39 AM »
That doesn't appear to be consistent with what Mormon leaders have said in the past:

“NEGROES IN THIS LIFE ARE DENIED THE PRIESTHOOD; under NO circumstances can they hold this delegation of authority from the Almighty. The gospel message of salvation IS NOT CARRIED AFFIRMATIVELY TO THEM... “NEGROES ARE NOT EQUAL WITH OTHER RACES WHERE THE RECEIPT OF CERTAIN SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS ARE CONCERNED...” (Mormon Doctrine, 1958, p. 477)

“Not only was Cain called upon to suffer, but because of his wickedness HE BECAME THE FATHER OF AN INFERIOR RACE.”

More from Smith:

“There is a reason why one man is BORN BLACK and with OTHER DISADVANTAGES, while another is BORN WHITE with great advantages. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient; more or less, to the laws that were given us there.”

The Mark of Cain

“Cain slew his brother....and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the FLAT NOSE AND BLACK SKIN...”

“Their skin is quite black, their hair woolly and black, THEIR INTELLIGENCE STUNTED, and they appear never to have arisen from the most savage state of barbarism.” The Juvenile Instructor, Vol. 3, page 157)

More from Smith:

The Mark of Cain

I dont know about the last quote, that doesnt sound right. But yes in the past black people were not allowed to hold the priesthood(which is the autthority to act in gods name). And yes the church did practice polygamy at one time. But both of those have changed blacks can now hold the preisthood and we do not practice polygamy. Right now my prieshood leader is a black man named Issac. So we do accept everybody and eveybody is equal. And the hole Cain and his race thing i dont claim to be and expert, all i know is that i have black friends in the church

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 11:50:48 AM »
I think the LDS have eschewed the position that blacks are inferior, just like they did plural marriage. things evolve.

P.S. You should weigh in on the Naomi Watts v Meryl Streep debate on the Girlie board.

Yes things evolve. 

I'll check out the debate.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 11:52:03 AM »
I dont know about the last quote, that doesnt sound right. But yes in the past black people were not allowed to hold the priesthood(which is the autthority to act in gods name). And yes the church did practice polygamy at one time. But both of those have changed blacks can now hold the preisthood and we do not practice polygamy. Right now my prieshood leader is a black man named Issac. So we do accept everybody and eveybody is equal. And the hole Cain and his race thing i dont claim to be and expert, all i know is that i have black friends in the church

I'm not suggesting these are the current beliefs and practices of the Mormon church.  They just have some pretty bad history when it comes to race.

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 12:03:12 PM »
I'm not suggesting these are the current beliefs and practices of the Mormon church.  They just have some pretty bad history when it comes to race.
Everybody does

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 01:28:38 PM »
Everybody does

True.  Church time might be one of the most segregated parts of our country.   

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 03:03:51 PM »
True.  Church time might be one of the most segregated parts of our country.   
that and the barber shop

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 03:22:27 PM »
that and the barber shop

I have black,white,asian,latinos all in my ward(congregation)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2007, 03:48:31 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2007, 03:49:36 PM »
I have black,white,asian,latinos all in my ward(congregation)

I have the same and more at my church, but there are still a plethora of "white churches" and "black churches" all across America. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2007, 08:38:17 AM »
Bro bishops and other church authorities are not allowed to check a womens underwear. They may ask if a women wears her garments. If she doesnt then she cant go to the temple, but she may still attend church. Men have to wear garments and held to the same standard as women. If a man doesnt wear his garments then he may not enter the temple

Are "garments" just any underwear?  If not, what are the acceptable characteristics regarding the "garments?"  Are they church-issued or can you buy them at any store? 

genrommel, thanks for answering our questions :)

R

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2007, 09:47:22 AM »
Are "garments" just any underwear?  If not, what are the acceptable characteristics regarding the "garments?"  Are they church-issued or can you buy them at any store? 

genrommel, thanks for answering our questions :)

Garments are church-issued, you have to buy them at special stores. They consist of very thin white undershirt and very thin white underwear(basically thin boxers)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2007, 10:45:46 AM »
Garments are church-issued, you have to buy them at special stores. They consist of very thin white undershirt and very thin white underwear(basically thin boxers)

How much do they cost?  Do you have to purchase a set number?  Do the women have to wear the undershirts also?
R

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2007, 10:47:24 AM »
If you rent Angels in America, the main character wears them.