Author Topic: Dumbell accident mutilates my middle finger! (PICS)  (Read 20441 times)

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
Dumbell accident mutilates my middle finger! (PICS)
« on: May 19, 2007, 12:09:49 PM »
I was finishing up my last set of incline dumbell presses and when I dropped the weight it came crashing down above another dumbell that was on the floor underneath the bench and the only thing between them was my middle finger. At first I just felt like I banged it, nothing unusual, but then I looked at it and was practically able to see right through it. The tip of my finger was almost completely severed and was crushed beyond recognition. One of the local gym monsters said "don't worry, it's just a little blood" as I held up my hand in shock. I said to him "just a little blood? Wanna see it up close?" and showed him what was left of my finger and he told me I should go to the hospital. I realized he was absolutely right and I wondered before I walked away if I should look to see if any of my finger was on the floor. I walked to a paper towel rack and wrapped up my bleeding finger then walked to the main desk and told the guy I had to go to the hospital for an emergency. At this point I felt like i was goin to faint and sat down within the desk area. I thought I was having a panic attack but I was later told it was just stress-related anxiety. The desk man called the gym supervisor, who came and called for an ambulance. He then took out a first-aid kit and wrapped up my finger in a gauze.

I hung out for a while until the ambulance arrived. Some friends got my things from the locker and I was getting anxious to see medical attention. I called my mom who came soon after the ambulance had. The ambulance drove me to a trauma center where I didn't wait too long for a doctor, thank goodness. A hand surgeon drove there to stitch me up after I had x-rays. He gave me anesthesia and cleaned it up. Then he got to work, sewing back on the hanging piece of flesh. He had to pull off my fingernail to sew up the cut, which extended to behind the nail. While watching this in awe and fascination I couldn't help but imagine what on earth that would feel like if I wasn't completely numb! But he did a wonderful job putting together my finger. He even sewed back on my nail, saying it would act as a splint.

I was grateful to have medical attention of such quality, but when the numbness wore off I became in excrutiating pain. A nurse gace me 2 pills of perkicet, but it didn't help too much. I'm now currently stoned off vicadin, which is much more effective. I'm going to smoke some weed to improve the high I already have, of course. :)

I'm going to be out of the gym for a while, which is the worst part of it all. I'll ease back on in sometime soon. But since the doc said there was a 20% chance I'll need amputation I'm going to be extra, extra careful. In regards to that percentage, I have good news. When I unwrapped the gauze this morning I learned that I still have feeling at the tip of the finger, instead of a dead lump of flesh. I shouldn't expect to lose my finger. :) Plus my chest is sore from the workout lol.

I'm just a soldier of iron...
~

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Dumbell accident mutilates my middle finger! (PICS)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 12:13:41 PM »
I did the same thing back in 93.....but not that bad

:o

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 12:13:45 PM »
damn dude. :o

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
Re: Dumbell accident mutiates my middle finger! (PICS)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 12:14:08 PM »
I hope you are okay but one thing you should never do. Dont ever have a dumbell underneath the bench.  :(

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 12:15:10 PM »

H A R D C O R E   B R O ! ! ! ! !

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 12:17:42 PM »
Yeah, I don't think i'll ever be too lazy to rack my dumbells anymore.
~

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 12:18:40 PM »

So did you finish the set?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 12:18:59 PM »
i always lower those bitches to my knees and put 'em back on the rack.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 12:20:47 PM »
Stop whining, it will grow back.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 12:22:07 PM »
Stop whining, it will grow back.
hey Jim is suffritt a good bb'ing food?

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 12:22:49 PM »
on a positive note, we can all learn from this accident.

on a negative note, next time you put your middlefinger up your ass you wont feel a burning sensation.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 12:26:53 PM »
hey Jim is suffritt a good bb'ing food?

Only in the offseason. Too high in sodium for precontest.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 12:27:30 PM »
Only in the offseason. Too high in sodium for precontest.
hahahahaha, only us Dagos know what suffritt is.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
Lucky your gym is right across the street from LI Jewish memorial hospital ....it happened at LA fitness right ??
L

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 12:29:37 PM »
tell me you finished the set...

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »
hahahahaha, only us Dagos know what suffritt is.

;D

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »
have done the exact same thing.  ;D ;D

luckily it was just warmup dumbells so my finger just swole up to the size of a pingisball. it didnt get totally mashed like yours.

leasson learned. dont leave dumbells underneath you  :P

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 12:31:22 PM »

;D
hahahahahahaa, yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 12:32:55 PM »
hahahahahahaa, yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

food from the motherland

8)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 12:34:53 PM »
food from the motherland

8)
fried pigs guts, baby.

affy

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 12:37:57 PM »
nice story

but now we gotta know how heavy those dumbbells were...im guessing 90+lbs

SWOLETRAIN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 12:39:14 PM »
Im sorry to hear that bro,.... good luck w/ rehab dude
-

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 12:41:05 PM »
Ok figgs my man take care of that thing! Now just chill and play warcraft for a while! Look at the new starcraft game that is coming out!

http://www.starcraft2.com/

Now about onlyme.. that is way wrong. Go see a psychiatrist dammit!
just push some weight!

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 12:44:13 PM »
I was finishing up my last set of incline dumbell presses and when I dropped the weight it came crashing down above another dumbell that was on the floor underneath the bench and the only thing between them was my middle finger. At first I just felt like I banged it, nothing unusual, but then I looked at it and was practically able to see right through it. The tip of my finger was almost completely severed and was crushed beyond recognition. One of the local gym monsters said "don't worry, it's just a little blood" as I held up my hand in shock. I said to him "just a little blood? Wanna see it up close?" and showed him what was left of my finger and he told me I should go to the hospital. I realized he was absolutely right and I wondered before I walked away if I should look to see if any of my finger was on the floor. I walked to a paper towel rack and wrapped up my bleeding finger then walked to the main desk and told the guy I had to go to the hospital for an emergency. At this point I felt like i was goin to faint and sat down within the desk area. I thought I was having a panic attack but I was later told it was just stress-related anxiety. The desk man called the gym supervisor, who came and called for an ambulance. He then took out a first-aid kit and wrapped up my finger in a gauze.

I hung out for a while until the ambulance arrived. Some friends got my things from the locker and I was getting anxious to see medical attention. I called my mom who came soon after the ambulance had. The ambulance drove me to a trauma center where I didn't wait too long for a doctor, thank goodness. A hand surgeon drove there to stitch me up after I had x-rays. He gave me anesthesia and cleaned it up. Then he got to work, sewing back on the hanging piece of flesh. He had to pull off my fingernail to sew up the cut, which extended to behind the nail. While watching this in awe and fascination I couldn't help but imagine what on earth that would feel like if I wasn't completely numb! But he did a wonderful job putting together my finger. He even sewed back on my nail, saying it would act as a splint.

I was grateful to have medical attention of such quality, but when the numbness wore off I became in excrutiating pain. A nurse gace me 2 pills of perkicet, but it didn't help too much. I'm now currently stoned off vicadin, which is much more effective. I'm going to smoke some weed to improve the high I already have, of course. :)

I'm going to be out of the gym for a while, which is the worst part of it all. I'll ease back on in sometime soon. But since the doc said there was a 20% chance I'll need amputation I'm going to be extra, extra careful. In regards to that percentage, I have good news. When I unwrapped the gauze this morning I learned that I still have feeling at the tip of the finger, instead of a dead lump of flesh. I shouldn't expect to lose my finger. :) Plus my chest is sore from the workout lol.

I'm just a soldier of iron...
looks like those accident pics on ogrish.com :o
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 01:03:32 PM »
It was my last set and so I chose to go light to really burn out my chest so I did the wee 70 pounders. Don't get me wrong I'm not weak enough to regularly press those. My best was 105x7. Not too bad but not quite enough to impress the getbig assholes.

Lucky your gym is right across the street from LI Jewish memorial hospital ....it happened at LA fitness right ??

You're right, but if I went there I would have been in the waiting room all night long. I'm lucky I went to a trauma center. Very, very lucky,

Ok figgs my man take care of that thing! Now just chill and play warcraft for a while! Look at the new starcraft game that is coming out!

http://www.starcraft2.com/

Now about onlyme.. that is way wrong. Go see a psychiatrist dammit!

Thanks, man! I'm trying to play warcraft without my middle finger lol it's hard. Starcraft looks great but I don't play anything else besides wow.

Thanks for the concern guys! BE CAREFUL!
~