Author Topic: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history  (Read 151152 times)

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
Re: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history
« Reply #300 on: January 22, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »
Tommy, Keith, Stunt, Chick, Max-Rep,

Thanks for the memories!!!!  Sad to think that golden era is gone.  I arrived from Zimbabwe in 1995 and trained at Golds from the day I arrived.  I remember so clearly seeing the big names every day I trained....  Me feeling like a little kid.... Watching Flex, Cormier, Rico and Dillet train and giggle.  Lee Priest was in there too. And Aaron Baker. You are right about big Louie ... he was always nice to me. Memories pop into my head.... like Titus doing a photo-shoot and Delo Halo was his GF and he kept grabbing her ass during the shoot and she'd giggle and tell him to "stop being such a slut!"  I remember Rich Minzer inviting me to sushi in Venice and Pete Grymkoski came in his new Mercedes.  Kent Kuhn, Ed Connors and Lena Johanesson were at the table too.  A lot to take in for a boy from Zimbabwe.

Jeep Svenson was there every day too (RIP).  Tommy Wishbone really was the main man in that gym (he knew everyone) .... and had the thickest neck of anyone by far... and he was super strong!  Boxing class with James Finnerty and Craig Love was good memories (both guys were bad ass yet real gentlemen).  Ed Connors let me stay at his place for a few months and (new Pro by one week) Paul deMayo and Mike Mattarazzo were staying too ....just really huge guys!  We all sat in Ed's kitchen eating steaks and mashed potatoes and watching the George Forman vs, Michael Moorer fight live.  Ah, those were the days!!!!!

My stories are nothing compared to Tommy's or Max's or even yours when it comes to the gym.  In fact other than Pete being one of my closet friends and my daughters god father I never trained at the old Gold's Gym back in the 70's or 80's.  I trained at World Gym (original).  It was in Santa Monica and I lived in Manhattan Beach so it was a drive to get there at 8am nearly everyday.  So when I was done except when I went to lunch with Ken Waller or Tony Pearson who whomever, I would get back home or get to work (I had a house painting business).  Gold's definitely had some great stories and Tommys will be very hard to beat.  He was right there in the middle of it.  Max Reps stories are vast too.
No Worries 4 me

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #301 on: January 22, 2010, 06:23:03 PM »
world gym would have been cool to train at...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #302 on: January 22, 2010, 06:57:48 PM »
Grant, great to see you mentioned Ed's helpfulness. He certainly deserves a lot of thanks.

Tommy, Grant, Keith or anyone ..... I lifted and coached a bit at Gold's when ken bought the name "Gold's Gym" from Joe but I'm forgetting some of those details.

Maybe one of you guys can clarify this for me cause I sure as hell forget...

Didn't Sprague own and operate Gold's Gym when it was located on 2nd in Santa Monica?
But at that time,did he actually own the name "Gold's Gym".

I kind of recall that after Ken bought the business from Joe Gold, Joe Gold was under the impression that he could open another gym business of his own and call it Gold's Gym even though he had sold the business to Ken. I don't think he realized that he sold the name "Gold's Gym" when he sold the business and Ken had to take him to court to protect it.

Joe lost and shortly thereafter opened World Gym down the road a bit.

Is anyone familiar with those details?

Someone should write a historical novel about Gold's Gym. Keith, let's talk to Pete about that. We should contact them all before we all start heading out to Greener Pastures.

Tommy, I think you owe me $100 for the bet you and I made regarding the outcome of Craig's trial. If you forgot, don't worry about it. I'll just send Keith down to tip ya over a bit.

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #303 on: January 22, 2010, 07:04:55 PM »
Agree,
pic show me with Lee Priest at Joe Gold's World Gym in 90'

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #304 on: January 22, 2010, 11:20:05 PM »
Agree,
pic show me with Lee Priest at Joe Gold's World Gym in 90'
lee priest wasn't that big in 1990...

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #305 on: January 22, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »
Grant, great to see you mentioned Ed's helpfulness. He certainly deserves a lot of thanks.

Tommy, Grant, Keith or anyone ..... I lifted and coached a bit at Gold's when ken bought the name "Gold's Gym" from Joe but I'm forgetting some of those details.

Maybe one of you guys can clarify this for me cause I sure as hell forget...

Didn't Sprague own and operate Gold's Gym when it was located on 2nd in Santa Monica?
But at that time,did he actually own the name "Gold's Gym".

I kind of recall that after Ken bought the business from Joe Gold, Joe Gold was under the impression that he could open another gym business of his own and call it Gold's Gym even though he had sold the business to Ken. I don't think he realized that he sold the name "Gold's Gym" when he sold the business and Ken had to take him to court to protect it.

Joe lost and shortly thereafter opened World Gym down the road a bit.

Is anyone familiar with those details?

Someone should write a historical novel about Gold's Gym. Keith, let's talk to Pete about that. We should contact them all before we all start heading out to Greener Pastures.

Tommy, I think you owe me $100 for the bet you and I made regarding the outcome of Craig's trial. If you forgot, don't worry about it. I'll just send Keith down to tip ya over a bit.

Ken wanted to convert the original golds into a house (which he did) so he did move it to 2nd street... he sold it before it moved to hampton.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #306 on: January 22, 2010, 11:51:04 PM »

Back then it was.
No Worries 4 me

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #307 on: January 23, 2010, 12:27:36 AM »
Back then it was.
is it true all the equipment was silky smooth?

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #308 on: January 23, 2010, 08:45:57 AM »
is it true all the equipment was silky smooth?

Not sure what that means.  If you mean the movement I guess it was.  All vinyl wrapped cables that would fray every once in awhile. 
No Worries 4 me

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #309 on: November 25, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
Keith bump. 
a

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #310 on: November 25, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »
The 1977 Teenage Mr. Tarhill was my introduction to bodybuilding. All things considered, I should track down the guy who invited me to that show and kill him.

In the summer of 1982 we made our pilgrimage to Gold’s Gym Venice. Upon walking into the front parking lot, we immediately noticed a black 4x4 upside down, partially blocking the entrance. A strange sight, but no one seemed overly concerned, so we kept walking. As we entered, I saw both Barbarian Brothers arguing with each other about something… turns out, the upside down truck was their's. I went to the pro shop area and they were selling the current Barbarian Brothers poster. I bought the poster and went outside to get a signature. The boys were still arguing over who was at fault for the roll-over, but I stepped in and asked for an autograph. David looked at Peter… Peter looked back at David and then they both looked at me and said “Sure big man, you got a pen?” There we were, David, Peter, me and the upside down truck… I still remember the signature on the poster; "To Tom, The higher climb, the farther you can see."    You should’ve been there.

I made it back to The Mecca a few times during the next few years. Always a great workout. Always a little memory of bodybuilding. The last workout we had, before I went to the Joint for five years, was at Gold’s Gym Venice. Don’t remember what I trained, but  I do remember looking at the old style peg board, above the water fountain in the front room. On the board, was a 4 x 6 picture of Peter Paul with the most absurd neck pump I had ever seen... 21” minimum, vascular, awesome. I looked around… the coast was clear… I stole the picture.   You should’ve been there.

They had to let me go in 1989, and one of the first things I did, was drive to Venice and train at The Mecca. Soon after that we moved to Santa Monica. My girlfriend was a competitive bodybuilder, and I was racing bicycles, so we were @ Gold’s Venice 25-30 hrs per week…

Don Ross has been my friend since 1981. He had a little office above the posing room, at Gold’s Venice. Great office. One day in 1989, Don, my girlfriend & me, were sitting in the office discussing bodybuilding and it's absurdities. There was a knock on the door… in walks Samir Bannout, 1984 Mr. Olympia (edit 1983 Mr. O). We proceeded to smoke some of Don’s finest northern California sensimilla (seedless & purple). An hour later we came pouring out of Don’s office, smoke billowing, stoned to the tiltD .--- A few weeks later, Don and I were out front of Gold's one sunny day and a sand colored Hummer came rolling down Hampton Dr. A big man behind the wheel, smoking a cigar calls out, "Ripper Savage!" Don yells back, "Arnold!!" We keep talking... Don says "Pretty cool huh?" I just smiled.    You should’ve been there.

In 1992 my bodybuilding girlfriend was long gone. Too many injuries and lack of talent had ended my racing career. The couch tour was close and my car's back seat was a poor bed... then one day, Gold’s Gym Manager Darin Lannighan walked by me in the gym and asked, “Hey dude, do you still want a job here?” “Absolutely”, I said.  Darin says, “Cool, be here tomorrow morning at 4am, I’ll get you a key and you’ll be our opener.” I laughed the rest of my workout.     You should've been there.

1992 – 1997. Wow. Sleeping in the back room. Sleeping in the posing room. Having a gang bang in the posing room. Finding an IFBB pro sleeping in the posing room, because he was homeless (that's OK, been there, done that). Watching Brian Regan (A REAL hell raiser) put a .45 in Joe Cosmo’s face at the front desk and watching Joe pee his pants (that happens). Slinging gear over the front counter. Telling Ed Connors that Don Ross was gone  Telling Nessler that Kurt Colbain was dead.  Working the front desk at 4:20am during the Northridge earthquake, and thinking it was funny that everyone was running out of the gym, and then running right back into the gym. Getting drunk with James Caan. Cigar night at Shatzi's (Arnold's rest. on Main St) Hookers for free. Strippers for free. Getting arrested in the 2nd room at Gold’s Venice by LAPD. Comped at every bar in Hollywood (the doorman & bartenders all trained at Gold's Venice).

Teaching movie stars about Clenbuterol (real Stars, not bodybuilding movie stars). Teaching convicts how to pass their drug test. Making $50,000 a year legit, and having a fucking blast doing it. Every year, after the “O”  talking and training with Dorian & Leroy.  Listening to Flex, Dillet , and Cormier,  talking about Dorian and hearing them say, “Fuck, we’re at least a year, maybe two years behind him.” Changing out the floor in the front room and having LAPD show up at 3am to shut down the loud music and party. Sparing with World Champion Dennis Alexio in the kickboxing class.Trying to convince my friend Danny, that the "homeless dude" who just came in was Keeanu Reeves.  ;D Taking a break in the front parking lot and watching two Border Brothers steal Tom MaGee's (1984 World Strongest Man) Chevy Z28. ;D Tom asked me. "Tom, why didn't you stop them?" I said, "Tommy, I didn't realize it was your Z28 until they were driving away. Sorry."

Doing 15 minutes worth of tire smoking full-power burnouts, in the front lot @2:30am, while LAPD stood by w/15 cars, and watched, and finally an LAPD Sgt. walked over and said, "Look dude, we're trying to plan a raid on the crackhouse down the street, we're staging in your parking lot across the street, would you please stop doing burnouts!!"  ;D Taking smack from a biker for membership because he didn’t have any cash, and giving it to a strung out hooker (no payback required). Breaking up a fight between Titus and some other idiot in the front room. Finding David Dearth (Who is a very cool dude, and just had a little too much that night) OD’ed on Nubain, sound asleep on the treadmill  Getting called at 3am by numerous bodybuilders, because their girlfriend was OD’ing on GHB and they wanted to know what to do. Having "Candy night" and watching Melissa Coates laugh so hard it made me pee in my pants. Watching a dude (a regular late night lunatic) who left his gym pants at home, try and train in a shirt only, because, "I pulled my shirt down real low and you really couldn't see my sack."  ;D    You should’ve been there.

1997- 2007 pending…

Very cool Tommy. I never competed, but I've always lifted and been a fan. I was lucky enough to live in LA and train at Gold's from time to time, and World quite often (Thanks to my good friend Eddie Giuliani, who let me train for free). I used to come in on my lunch break and train and bullshit with Eddie and Zabo. Eddie gave me lots of free tank tops ant tee shirts. Eddie would say "Just make sure Joe doesn't see you. He knows every member, and if he sees you, he'll ask me who the fuck you are." That's why I never got to know Joe Gold, because I was always avoiding him! ;D

I became friends with Don and his wife Rita back then, and met and trained alongside many of my bodybuilding idols, including Samir. Samir did a great Joe Weider impression, lol. I was around when Don passed, as well as Art Zeller and Ira Bankowski, all whom I had the pleasure to know. Times I'll never forget!

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #311 on: November 25, 2011, 11:53:55 PM »
lee priest wasn't that big in 1990...
priest was huge at 21, that pic may be 93 or 94 though

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #312 on: November 26, 2011, 12:02:52 AM »
Fucking awesome story Tom................I`m a jealous motherf ucker!  :(

;D

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #313 on: November 26, 2011, 12:12:36 AM »
priest was huge at 21, that pic may be 93 or 94 though
Pretty sure he never went to America until 1993. Plus he was competing as a lightweight in 1990 I saw him win the Aussie nationals that October and lee labrada guest posed.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #314 on: November 26, 2011, 08:04:43 AM »
Yep, 93 or 94 around 21yrs old

MC is advancing in years  ;D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #315 on: November 26, 2011, 08:10:17 AM »
Very cool Tommy. I never competed, but I've always lifted and been a fan. I was lucky enough to live in LA and train at Gold's from time to time, and World quite often (Thanks to my good friend Eddie Giuliani, who let me train for free). I used to come in on my lunch break and train and bullshit with Eddie and Zabo. Eddie gave me lots of free tank tops ant tee shirts. Eddie would say "Just make sure Joe doesn't see you. He knows every member, and if he sees you, he'll ask me who the fuck you are." That's why I never got to know Joe Gold, because I was always avoiding him! ;D

I became friends with Don and his wife Rita back then, and met and trained alongside many of my bodybuilding idols, including Samir. Samir did a great Joe Weider impression, lol. I was around when Don passed, as well as Art Zeller and Ira Bankowski, all whom I had the pleasure to know. Times I'll never forget!
Also extremely jealous of you Cableguy!  :(

Tomanater

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Eat-Sleep-Train-Grow
« Reply #316 on: November 26, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »
some funny stories on here..i made my first trip to golds in the early 90s..first day there was entertaining before i even walked in the gym... ..mike quinn was screaming at some guy in the parking lot when i was aproaching the gym..and mike christain was laughing his ass of..i thought mike quinn was going to crack the guy in the head..and this was before i even stepped inside the gym..flex wheeler wasnt a pro yet i believe just won ths cal state was out front in a string tank and hot skin shorts talking with shawn ray and troy zuchalotto...once inside i was in complete heaven..hot girls dressed in little clothing and tights all over..i did probably 15 sets on the one leg hamstring curl machine because it was in perfect veiw of this hot looking older lady doing a glute exercise but everytime she open her legs u could see her pussy because she had a big tear in her tights..she caught me looking and just smiled so i smiled back ofcourse  :-*..i was like damn iam gonna love this place..it was a good first wk experience lol.
i made many more trips and have  a few good stories.best  from 2000-2005  -when flex-chris-melvin-paul dillett-tom prince-bob chic-chris cook and many other pros were still training there everyday...

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #317 on: November 26, 2011, 10:15:30 AM »
Good stuff

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #318 on: November 26, 2011, 10:16:25 AM »
some funny stories on here..i made my first trip to golds in the early 90s..first day there was entertaining before i even walked in the gym... ..mike quinn was screaming at some guy in the parking lot when i was aproaching the gym..and mike christain was laughing his ass of..i thought mike quinn was going to crack the guy in the head..and this was before i even stepped inside the gym..flex wheeler wasnt a pro yet i believe just won ths cal state was out front in a string tank and hot skin shorts talking with shawn ray and troy zuchalotto...once inside i was in complete heaven..hot girls dressed in little clothing and tights all over..i did probably 15 sets on the one leg hamstring curl machine because it was in perfect veiw of this hot looking older lady doing a glute exercise but everytime she open her legs u could see her pussy because she had a big tear in her tights..she caught me looking and just smiled so i smiled back ofcourse  :-*..i was like damn iam gonna love this place..it was a good first wk experience lol.
i made many more trips and have  a few good stories.best  from 2000-2005  -when flex-chris-melvin-paul dillett-tom prince-bob chic-chris cook and many other pros were still training there everyday...
Cool stuff !!

Where you been bro....haven`t seen you online in ages?

Tomanater

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Eat-Sleep-Train-Grow
Re: A little bit of Gold's Venice
« Reply #319 on: November 26, 2011, 10:26:56 AM »
Bob you are a lame dude. Did you know that? I thought you had to be a model citizen because you reflect on the IFBB with what you say? Guess you are sore I called you a certified stooge. Please don't tell me they issued you with an official blazer to wear at events? Gosh, you are due to receive some plaque for services to bodybuilding.
do u live in vancouver?

Tomanater

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Eat-Sleep-Train-Grow
« Reply #320 on: November 26, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »
Cool stuff !!

Where you been bro....haven`t seen you online in ages?
.i come on and still see whats going on at the thunderdome from time to time---Ive been super busy with my supplement store -and training buisness and life..

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #321 on: November 26, 2011, 10:30:05 AM »
do u live in vancouver?

Someone hasn't been paying attention for the last 5 years.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #322 on: November 26, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »
do u live in vancouver?

he resides in a parallel dimension

Tomanater

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Eat-Sleep-Train-Grow
« Reply #323 on: November 26, 2011, 10:34:23 AM »
Someone hasn't been paying attention for the last 5 years.
:-X 

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #324 on: November 26, 2011, 10:40:12 AM »
:-X 

Vince is from Canada,but has lived in Australia for years now.