Author Topic: how to increase growth outside the gym  (Read 3540 times)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
how to increase growth outside the gym
« on: June 01, 2007, 03:27:11 PM »
hey guys
I was wondering, what are things should I be doing  to  increase muscle mass besides the no brainers eat/taking supps and sleeping ??    I train  5 days :
monday chest and abs
tuesday back and traps
wednesday off
thursday shoulders and calves
friday arms
saturday legs

I stretch after each workout...I do no cadio sessions, but I do walk  throught out the day for work.. and I tend to have a hard time keeping weight on. I sleep about  9-10 hours at night and sometimes if i need an hour of sleeping during day time.  I changed my diet to more complex carbs and gain  15 pounds in  3 weeks. I mainly eat pasta/rice/eggs/ oatmeat/beef/chicken and sometimes I cheat... my supps are whey protein /3 servings per day. creatine 10 grams per day. amino acid  pills.

is there anything that I should add to get bigger??

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: how to increase growth outside the gym
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 04:01:53 PM »
15 lb. in a short time's pretty good, don't expect growth to be constant, it happens in spurts.

Try hitting each muscle twice weekly using a 3-day split followed by a rest day and repeat. First increase to twice weekly using your existing program, then after a few months if you stagnate read some of the other posts and programs here and try a different workout involving more or less volume and different reps.

Also consider whether you're really putting serious intensity into the workouts, that makes a big difference. I don't see any mention of you training hard.

The whey protein is 3 times a day between meals? That's what should be happening to gain.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 04:57:27 PM »
15 lb. in a short time's pretty good, don't expect growth to be constant, it happens in spurts.

Try hitting each muscle twice weekly using a 3-day split followed by a rest day and repeat. First increase to twice weekly using your existing program, then after a few months if you stagnate read some of the other posts and programs here and try a different workout involving more or less volume and different reps.

Also consider whether you're really putting serious intensity into the workouts, that makes a big difference. I don't see any mention of you training hard.

The whey protein is 3 times a day between meals? That's what should be happening to gain.

yea I take my whey between meals. I didn't say be I think eating an oat bar in the middle of the night has deff. help in gaining weigh. I kinda feel that a 3 on/ one off is a bit much. I feel that when I started to do more volume I grow better then doing 9-12 working sets.. I train with a lot of  drop sets/rest pause and superset..  I do about 16 working sets per muscle group..

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 05:12:49 PM »
10 grams of creatine a day? who are you Markus Ruhl?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 05:20:28 PM »
I kinda feel that a 3 on/ one off is a bit much. I feel that when I started to do more volume I grow better then doing 9-12 working sets.. I train with a lot of  drop sets/rest pause and superset..  I do about 16 working sets per muscle group..

If what you're doing is working, why post the question?

If it's not, be open-minded about a 3-day split, twice weekly per muscle or anything else. Try each for a while 6-8 weeks, then judge. You can always reduce volume when increasing frequency - 16 sets a muscle sounds high; maybe your intensity needs improvement. With high intensity you definitely don't need 16 sets if you're doing drops, rest-pause, etc. Right now i burn the muscle out on 4-8 sets.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 05:23:17 PM »
yeah if he's not gaining weight on that type of eating plan either he's drastically overestimating his caloric intake or he's burning a crazy amount of calories.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 06:05:59 PM »
10 grams of creatine a day? who are you Markus Ruhl?
[/quote

is that good or bad. I've always  took in  10 grams of creatine Mon..

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »
If what you're doing is working, why post the question?

If it's not, be open-minded about a 3-day split, twice weekly per muscle or anything else. Try each for a while 6-8 weeks, then judge. You can always reduce volume when increasing frequency - 16 sets a muscle sounds high; maybe your intensity needs improvement. With high intensity you definitely don't need 16 sets if you're doing drops, rest-pause, etc. Right now i burn the muscle out on 4-8 sets.

your  very right. would it work as will if I just did a  6 on/ one off instead?? or the  3on/1 off is the best??

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 07:31:58 PM »
your  very right. would it work as will if I just did a  6 on/ one off instead?? or the  3on/1 off is the best??
i like 6 on, one off, try it for a couple of weeks then the other and see what you think.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 03:09:56 AM »
youre sleeping too much.
drink plenty of water with the creatine. spread out the creatine intake over the day maybe 2,5grams x 4
recent studies shows that to be more effective

report back in 2 years
Z

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 03:33:08 AM »
hey guys
I was wondering, what are things should I be doing  to  increase muscle mass besides the no brainers eat/taking supps and sleeping ??    I train  5 days :
monday chest and abs
tuesday back and traps
wednesday off
thursday shoulders and calves
friday arms
saturday legs

I stretch after each workout...I do no cadio sessions, but I do walk  throught out the day for work.. and I tend to have a hard time keeping weight on. I sleep about  9-10 hours at night and sometimes if i need an hour of sleeping during day time.  I changed my diet to more complex carbs and gain  15 pounds in  3 weeks. I mainly eat pasta/rice/eggs/ oatmeat/beef/chicken and sometimes I cheat... my supps are whey protein /3 servings per day. creatine 10 grams per day. amino acid  pills.

is there anything that I should add to get bigger??

Looks pretty good. May be lacking in fats. Make sure you get enough fat in your diet. It will keep the endocrine system primed. A high protein macro ratio for athletes should look something like 50carbs/30fats/20protein.

Olive oil and flax seed oil are your friends.

As far as training: I believe in training fairly large parts of the body at the same time, and instead train 2 or 3 times a week.

Of course, doing 4,5 or even 6 split works for some people.

Considering that when you train chest, you will also train shoulders and triceps to a certain degree, I think it holds merit to rest at least every other day, and have bigger splits, such as upper/lower, or chest/back-shoulders/arms-legs.

JMO.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 08:45:59 AM »
If you are going to keep the body in a constance state of stress and repair, rather than allowing extra days away from training, than it's growth potential may not advance at it's best. Or even halt for some. The exception being the ones  blessed with the proper genetics or using The Stuff. Recovery time, with-in a training week, is very important. The CNS (a major key to steady muscle size and strength) must recover fully to be ready for it's next workout challenge. The only thing that you might add to a successful program you seem to be on now, is more resting days off from training. That being one less training day a week, making it 4 days, rather than the present 5. That 5 or even 6 day workout scheme is going to affect the CNS in a negative way, sooner or later. You want to insure that the gains you have made will continue for a long time. That 15lb of pure muscle gain in 3 weeks is outstanding and that eating pattern seems to fit you body type very well. Just that we want those gains to progress and not slow down/stop due to over stressing the CNS. The CNS can adapt to a lot of things but it also needs it's recovery time.

I'm in agreement with HedgeHog, that training muscle groups as a unit yields faster results overall, for most people. Along with 2 or 3 times a week workouts. And have at least one  day of rest between any workouts. There are exceptions of course, some select specialized programs and personal goals require more time for short periods of intense training. But only for a short period. That's why a lot of lifters will change a workout program every 6 to 8 weeks or so. Allowing the CNS to adapt to different work loads. Change can do a body good, at times.

As said here before, I'm not a big believer in added supplements. But seen impressive muscle and strength gains on some of the football players who have used Creatine (pure grade with a dextrose delivery system). Also Flaxseed, Omega-3 oil, Safflower and Olive oils show promise. Some of the players put Safflower or olive oil in a protein shake drink every day to keep their weight up during  a season. Good Luck.
F

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 04:30:11 PM »

pumpster,you seem to have big knowledge on training, but how can i train my legs twice a week, if my legs are sore for 5 days after my leg workout?

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 05:31:09 PM »
You sleep 9-10 hours a night? HOW? I thought only teenagers do that, who don't have to go to work the next day. Anyways, you're sleeping WAY too much. Cut that down to MAX 7 hours a night and spend more of that time eating. You can easily add another meal instead of spending your life sleeping away.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 07:05:45 PM »

how can i train my legs twice a week, if my legs are sore for 5 days after my leg workout?

1/ The more often you train them, the less days they will be sore.

2/ Or hit them every 1st & 6th day, which will still be about twice a week.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 02:46:24 PM »
why can't you train legs even if they are sore??  being sore doesnt mean anything. so, just train through it. just adjust the weight.like me guess your going to say'my weight will go  down" so what, just train in your limits.

train  likes every  5days

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 04:28:59 PM »
You sleep 9-10 hours a night? HOW? I thought only teenagers do that, who don't have to go to work the next day. Anyways, you're sleeping WAY too much. Cut that down to MAX 7 hours a night and spend more of that time eating. You can easily add another meal instead of spending your life sleeping away.
agreed, that's WAY too much sleep.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 10:37:06 AM »
agreed, that's WAY too much sleep.

anything beyond 8 hours is said to be less benefincial than say 6-8 hours due to the state it keeps you in. Being in alpha for that long takes it toll and makes you actually lazier throughout the day and it's hard for your cns and overall well being to pull itself OUT of that wavelength.

Don't ask. LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG discussion in A and P about this and if you want to test this theory, sleep for 7-8 hours and log how you feel, then sleep 10 or so the next day and tell me how you feel. You should feel drugged for the first hour or so you wake up and sluggish the rest of the day.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 06:10:35 PM »
I dont always sleep 9-10 hours everyday.  b/c I end up waking  up after my middle of the night meal. so its really aroud  7-8. I've always  been told that sleep is important. and the more sleep is better. I've also have done the  7 hour a night but I would crush  in the evening time.

sometimes, when I train extramely hard. I get restless and uncomfortable. You know its like after you train legs hard , your body goes tho this shock were  everything is uncomfortable.

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 06:00:45 AM »
Looks pretty good. May be lacking in fats. Make sure you get enough fat in your diet. It will keep the endocrine system primed. A high protein macro ratio for athletes should look something like 50carbs/30fats/20protein.

Olive oil and flax seed oil are your friends.

As far as training: I believe in training fairly large parts of the body at the same time, and instead train 2 or 3 times a week.

Of course, doing 4,5 or even 6 split works for some people.

Considering that when you train chest, you will also train shoulders and triceps to a certain degree, I think it holds merit to rest at least every other day, and have bigger splits, such as upper/lower, or chest/back-shoulders/arms-legs.

JMO.

-Hedge

hedge you re promoting the omega fatty acids for a period of 4 years now on the board, and i totally agree, it is also crucial when deting, it helps burning more fat, while keeping all the muscle.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 08:16:46 PM »
Not sure if anyone else does this, but I always do a few sets of static contractions after my workouts.  3-4 sets of 10 seconds of tensing the worked muscle does it for me.  Don't know if its doing anything in a scientific sense, but I like it, and I suppose it helps the mind-muscle connection!