Author Topic: Herc's training module for maximal results  (Read 17392 times)

Herc

• Getbig II
Herc's training module for maximal results
« on: June 21, 2007, 02:40:17 PM »
I typically do a very low volume workout and once every few weeks I'll do a high volume workout to shock my muscles.  Latley ive been doing some heavy training to switch it up.  I would like to add about 5 or 10 lbs of muscle but I think I am coming close to my natural limit.  Im only 5'7 and 160lbs right now at 8 percent body fat.  I read something that says a natural person cant go much further than that because of the amount of testosterone nessesary to gain more muscle but ill see.  I must admit that over the years every time ive gotten to about the strength im at I get stuck.  Im trying to eat better this time around which I think may have been my problem in the past.

This morning I did chest.  I did a warm up with 225 for 6 reps.  Then I did 325 for 5 although the 5th was not very good form.  Then I did 350 for one.  I didnt have a spotter so I was afraid to attempt more and I expended a lot of energy lifting it off since my arms are short so I barley was able to lift it.  Then I did one set of incline dumbell presses with 125lbs dumbells for 5 reps.  Then I did a half an hour of cardio. 

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
Re: Herc's training module for maximal results
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 04:41:38 PM »
ahhh.....don't listen to these "natural limits" people out there, bust your ass, eat some food and you'll put on some muscle, keeping it at 8% is pretty low, I'd love to be at 8%, what are you eating?  I'm 5'7 and I weigh about 195 right now, I've been up to 215 and I wasn't "fat"....so you can put on more muscle...not that I'm a giant or anything. 

What's your split like?
nasser=piece of shit

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 04:46:18 PM »
I typically do a very low volume workout and once every few weeks I'll do a high volume workout to shock my muscles.  Latley ive been doing some heavy training to switch it up.  I would like to add about 5 or 10 lbs of muscle but I think I am coming close to my natural limit.  Im only 5'7 and 160lbs right now at 8 percent body fat.  I read something that says a natural person cant go much further than that because of the amount of testosterone nessesary to gain more muscle but ill see.  I must admit that over the years every time ive gotten to about the strength im at I get stuck.  Im trying to eat better this time around which I think may have been my problem in the past.

This morning I did chest.  I did a warm up with 225 for 6 reps.  Then I did 325 for 5 although the 5th was not very good form.  Then I did 350 for one.  I didnt have a spotter so I was afraid to attempt more and I expended a lot of energy lifting it off since my arms are short so I barley was able to lift it.  Then I did one set of incline dumbell presses with 125lbs dumbells for 5 reps.  Then I did a half an hour of cardio. 
hahahaha, oh brother. ::)

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 04:56:24 PM »
hahahaha, oh brother. ::)

I guess 350lbs for a guy who weighs 160 might be a little hard to believe if you put it that way.  Not saying you're lying but that's alot of weight for a dude who weighs 160....
nasser=piece of shit

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 05:02:39 PM »
I guess 350lbs for a guy who weighs 160 might be a little hard to believe if you put it that way.  Not saying you're lying but that's alot of weight for a dude who weighs 160....
yeah i was talking more about the 325 for 5-6 reps, that seems a little tough to believe when every other guy i've seen of that weight has trouble with 185-205.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 05:02:59 PM »
Herc, do you lower all the way down on your benches?  If you do, good work.
Squishy face retard

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 05:32:03 PM »
Yes I lower the wieght all the way down.  I suppose a powerlifter would say I dont pause long enough.  I dont really do a pause but I bring the wieght up as soon as I can.  I dont believe in partial rep benching or anything for that matter except for pullups because it hurts my shoulders to do the full range.  Most peope in the gym will stop and watch because they dont think I really can do this.  Ill post a pic that shows I have a physique that can do it but I dont have any videos and I dont know how to post videos anyways.  I did 325 for 5 today with no spotter.  The 5th I admit was very sloppy, I had my butt in the air but I had to get it up since I had no spotter.  I have hit 350 when I was only able to do 315 for 5 so I think I can do 360 but without a spotter im not dumb enough to try that.  I have very short arms which probably helps alot.  I will give reall numbers on my lifts and ill get my training split up.  My legs are very weak and i'll post just how weak they are.  Im gonna get something to eat now but i'll post more later with my split and numbers ect...

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:06:32 PM »
Yes I lower the wieght all the way down.  I suppose a powerlifter would say I dont pause long enough.  I dont really do a pause but I bring the wieght up as soon as I can.  I dont believe in partial rep benching or anything for that matter except for pullups because it hurts my shoulders to do the full range.  Most peope in the gym will stop and watch because they dont think I really can do this.  Ill post a pic that shows I have a physique that can do it but I dont have any videos and I dont know how to post videos anyways.  I did 325 for 5 today with no spotter.  The 5th I admit was very sloppy, I had my butt in the air but I had to get it up since I had no spotter.  I have hit 350 when I was only able to do 315 for 5 so I think I can do 360 but without a spotter im not dumb enough to try that.  I have very short arms which probably helps alot.  I will give reall numbers on my lifts and ill get my training split up.  My legs are very weak and i'll post just how weak they are.  Im gonna get something to eat now but i'll post more later with my split and numbers ect...

nice shot...what's your diet like?
nasser=piece of shit

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 06:44:51 PM »
As far as a training split goes its not reall consistant because most days i'll go to the gym twice since I work right acrossed the parking lot from my gym so it very convinient.  But it is something like this

Sesion 1
 Chest 3 sets of bench press
         1 set  of incline dumbell press
Abs either crunches for about 4 minutes or other exersises I dont know the names of
then 30 minutes of cardio.

Sesion 2 Shoulders and Tricepts
3 sets of 15 with 50lb dumbells for shoulder presses taking 45 second to 1 minute rest.  Sometimes as many as 5 sets.
Overhead tricept press with 60lb dumbells doing 15 to 20 reps taking 45 second rests.  On heavy days I do 120s for 6 reps only doing one set.
Then abs and cardio

Session 3 legs
Very deep squats. 1 set of 225 for 4 reps.  Then 2 sets of 155 for 8 to 10 reps.  I bring my butt down till it touches my calves and then pause for a second.  I can go much heavier if I just do parrelell squats but I like the way it hits my glutes and hamstrings like this.
Leg press 1 set with 6 plates on each side doing around 12 reps.
Leg extensions sometimes doing 3 sets of 12 at 100lbs or sometimes 1 set of 190lbs.
Calves, or mine are called Cows.  I do cow raises.  The machine only goes up to 500lbs( not sure if that for reall it sounds high) but ill do 3 sets of 20 or if I want to go heavy ill throw 5 or 6 45s on top and do 1 set of 15 or whatever I can get.
abs and cardio

Session 4 Bicepts
Light days i'll do 3 sets with 30s with 45 seconds rest and on my heavy day I do one set of 65s for 10 to 12.
Abs and cardio

Session 5 back
Normally I do one set of pullups doing around 42 or 44 pullups.  Most would consider it a full pullup but I dont fully lock it down at the bottom because it hurts my shoulder.  Then I do 3 sets of dumbell rows with 60lbs doing 15 reps with 45 seconds to 1 minute rest. Every once in a while i'll do 125s for 12 or 15 reps for 1 set.
abs and cardio.

There is no specific schedule.  And Im not reall rigid in my training.  If I feel like doing tricepts on my legs day or maybe there is a hot girl by one of the machines I may do that body part.  I probably train each bodypart 2 to 3 times a week right now although Ive been able to mantain muscle by only doing each part once a week.  Every few weeks Ill do something to shock my muscles.  Maybe ill do 25 sets on a bodypart or do no rest one day.  Since my muscles are used to so little this type shock usually stimulates growth.  When I used to always do high volume my muscles adapted and 25 sets didnt even make me sore after a while and I didnt grow.  Now If I do 25 sets I almost always experience growth since my muscles are not used to that.  Part of the reason I do those really light days with little rest is because going heavy all the time hurts my shoulders and elbows but I can keep my strengh by going light with little rest.

To get to a low bodyfat I ate a very low amount of calories and did of cardio.  I probaly lost it to fast and initially lost a lot of muscle but I have since gained back the muscle without the fat.  Now I eat a lot of El pollo Loco(chicken fast food place but not fried) I cook fish at least 3 or 4 times a week usally make a burrito or nachos out of it.  I go to baja fresh a lot(mexican resturant) but I only eat half the burrito and eat the other half later.  I snack on almonds when I can.  Latley ive been taking a protien powder about twice a day.  It only has 150 calories  but 27 grams of protien.  I eat a lot of normall foods but try to not eat once I feel replenished. I just save it for later. Im not reall strict though, I eat whatever I want but just try not to eat to much.   For the most part I try to eat in moderation and eat as much protien as I can, I would estimate around 170 grams a day give or take.  

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 08:42:49 PM »
maybe there is a hot girl by one of the machines I may do that body part.

hahaha i know it's tempting sometimes  ;D ;D ;D

Looking great in that shot mate, good separation down the middle of the chest too 8).

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 08:19:24 AM »
Last night I was planning on doing a high volume workout on my back and also going to go reall heavy to shock my muscles but I wasnt motivated so i'll put what I ended up doing

Wieghted pullups  stapped 85lbs to me and did 5 then I did 45lbs for 12 and a 3rd set for 10 or so.  This strained my shoulder so I decided against high volume and cut my back workout short.  I skipped rows because my shoulder felt agrevated.

Alternating dumbell bicept curls 70lbs for 8 one set.  This was good for me I usually only do 65s.
Lying cable curls full stack 3x8-15

Cardio and abs

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 08:31:56 AM »
Sunday did chest and then had to go to work so I only lifted for about 15 minutes.
1set 330 for 3.  I lifted it fairly easily but wasnt sure if I would have got the 4th so I just did 3. 
Then I did another set of 330 for 2.  Then I did 315 for 5.  Then 275 for 8 or 10. Then 245 for 8 or 10.  Then I went home.  I hadnt been eating enough so I think that is why I got weaker Then the last post.  My shoulder has also been agrivated so I may not do the heavy lifting much longer.  Maybe ill go to the 10 to 12 range and train less frequently.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
DAMN dude you look good in a non gay way! How tall are you if you don't mind me asking or having to repeat yourself? What a sick build! Heavy lifting has given you a full thick look that alot of people can't have because they won't push for it. Nice work man.

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 09:43:32 PM »
DAMN dude you look good in a non gay way! How tall are you if you don't mind me asking or having to repeat yourself? What a sick build! Heavy lifting has given you a full thick look that alot of people can't have because they won't push for it. Nice work man. 

thanks, Im 5'7 and my wieght fluctuates right now between 160 and 164 depending on the time of day or week.

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 09:59:43 PM »
heres my workouts today. 

Am workout
3 sets of squats
165 for 3 sets of 8.  I am still doing squats almost touching the ground, thats why its so light.
Leg extensions 1 set of 180 and one set of the full stack for 8.
Cow raises.  Full stack 1 set for 27 reps. 
Cardio for 30minutes

Pm work
superset of seated alternating dumbell curls and behind the neck dumbell tricept extensions.  I curled 75lbs dumbells for 5 reps and then 125lbs for 8 or 10(triceps). Then I curled 60s for 12 and 125 for 8 or so then 60s and skiped the last set of tricepts.  My tricepts are overdeveloped for my size in comparison to my other bodyparts so I barley need to work them.  I was going to go do abs but saw a hot girl so I did some standing barbell curls with about 85lbs.  I unfortunatly I didnt have anything to say, maybe next time.  Then I did abs and went home. 

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 10:41:21 PM »
today
Am  back
1 set of Pullups. Did 42
3 sets of dumbell rows, 15 reps with 65s.  I took no rest between sets except to do the other arm so probably about 20 seconds rest.
Abs for about 5 minutes

Pm Chest
warm up 135
warm up 225
330x3 almost got the 4th but the spotter helped a little
attempted 355 but barley didnt get it.
315 for 4
1 set of incline dumbell presses with110s for 10 reps
about 5 sets of cable crossovers 15 reps more or less doing between 55 and 85lbs.

light quick shoulder workout
4 sets of 45lbs dumbells of 15 taking about 1.5 minutes rest
Cardio for 30 minutes

I had a really busy day at work today and felt very depleted in the gym.  I think I need to slighty up my calories more.  It seems like the more I eat the more I feel like I need to eat more which doesnt make sence but ill try to add about 300 more calories.  When Im 164 I can put up heavier weights and feel more pumped all day.  I was only 161lbs today so I think I didnt eat enough.

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
Yesturday I worked out with a friend so I did back again
Pullups 42 more or less
Dumbell rows 125lbs for 13/100 for 20
Row machine 3x220 to 270 8 to 12 reps
fly machine that can be used for back? 3 sets dont remeber the wieght
Cardio

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 08:28:41 PM »
Today I did chest and a little bit of light shoulders
Bench press 135 warm up
225 warm up
315x6
335x3
355x1  This is a new personal high for me. 

Incline press 125x4 Whenever I get a personall high I cant lift well on my other lifts.  Doesnt make sence.
90x12
Fly machine light wieghts for 4 or 5 sets
chest press machine 4 or 5 sets light wieght
cable crossovers 5 sets light wieght

5 sets of dumbell shoulder press with 35lbs dumbells.  I felt like hitting the muscles but not really going heavy after all that chest.

My lift are going up some since I started eating more protien but so is my wieght.  Today I was 163.  A couple months ago I was 158.  My bench and squats have gone up about 20lbs and my curls about 10 as well as tricepts.  My pullups went from I think 37 to 42.  Im happy with my gains but am not sure if they really constitue a 5lb muscle gain.  Does anyone know about how much muscle those improvements would likely put on.  It seems like those calipers they use to test bodyfat arnt reall acurate.  Different people give me different numbers so I dont know if im getting fat or not.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 02:12:12 AM »
  It seems like those calipers they use to test bodyfat arnt really acurate.  Different people give me different numbers so I dont know if im getting fat or not.

Yeah i don't know about those things either mate. I just go by the mirror :).

Hey mate I see you are going to enter the MrGetBig, I'm going to go in as well. I know I won't place at all and may well come in last ;D but I'm just doing it for the fun and motivation :D. You should do quite well I'd say 8).

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 12:37:32 AM »
Today I did a quick leg workout.  I did 185 for 4 sets.  for somewhere around 8 reps a set give or take.  Its pathetic but im making good progress.  i used to do 315 for 12 for sets only going parrelell or slightly above, now that im going almost  to the floor I cant lift nearly as much but its really hitting my hamstrings and glutes good.Then I did some leg extensions and skipped calves since someone was using the machinde and I didnt feel like waiting.

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 07:38:04 PM »
Today I did Chest
135 warm up
225 warm up
315x6
335x3

Incline dumbell presses light today
60s 3 sets of 15 more or less.  Lifted slower, I thought id experiment with the squizing the muscle theory besides I was tired.

Cable crossovers light
5 sets of a light wieght with a short rest between sets
5 sets of uppercuts with cables with light wieght and short rest. 

I have been skipping my cardio some.  Im trying to take it easy for a few days to get some rest.  As for nutrition ive been taking protien a couple times a day.  I may try to find a way to add another 50 grams a day and maybe about 300 more calories to see if I can get a little stronger.  I think my upper body wont grow much more but my legs probably can add at least 5lbs or so of muscle.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 07:52:10 PM »
 You have a routine built solely around power from teh looks of things. Why is that? You like to be strong but not every thick? I mean you're thick but strong as fuck for 160lbs! I trained my buddy in the bench press and got him to 275 for a triple at that weight but DAMN! I'll give you the 350 for a single if you do it like I do and blow and go. I do'nt pause. I touch bottom and it's on the way up. I like to keep the tension and getthe rebound. If I pause I tend to relax. Whatever you're doing man it's working. I'd love a build like that.

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 10:24:26 PM »
I guess I do tend to center my lifting more around power.  When I started lifting I got good results like that.  It seems I never got results lifting light or at slow motions.  I only grow or get stronger from exploding up as hard and fast as I can.  I also like lifting like that.  Its kind of like fighting or something, just getting agression out and trying to push myself to the limit as far as what I can lift.  When I started lifting my attitude was if I had a rep range of 8 to 10 and I did 8 last time I would consider my workout a failure if I didnt do 9 so I was very agressive and it worked well.  My first 2 years I would bring my big lifts up about 5 to 15lbs a month and every now and then 20lbs but on average about 10lbs.  I went from reping with 95lbs on bench my freshman year to 265 my jounier year and Ive always been natural.  I always believed you just had to train harder then the next guy to get bigger.  Now that im older I think genetics play some role because ive trained guys to do exactly what worked for me and they didnt get any strength gains at all, not even 5lbs over a couple months.  After my jounier year it slowed way down and I have gained much slower since.  Im 27 now and my bench is only up about 50lbs since I was 17.  Maybe I do need to change something at this point.  I think my main problem is what I eat.  I think in order to get bigger I will need to up my calories. I dont pause when I do the 355.  Ive never tried going really heavy and pausing but I imagine I couldnt lift quite as much if I did.  I also think I dont look very thick in that pic.  i have other pics that I think I look thicker.  That one is taken from above me.  The good part is it makes my shoulders look wider and my waste thinner but it also makes me look smaller.  Ive gained about 4lbs in these pics hopefull all muscle.  I had just eaten and had 4 refills of my soda so im probably bloated some in these pics.  Also a lot of my strength is in my tricepts so  they are kind of hidden inthe last pic.  Ive always had a disspaportionatly small chest because my tricepts have always dominated in lifts like bench, military press and stuff like that.

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 01:46:23 AM »
Massive Tri's mate. They make mine look tiny and i have added fat on them as well ;D.

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 02:33:19 AM »
You're a beast dude, really inspirational... I'm going to start training abs and doing more cardio again! It sounds and looks like you've really figured out what natural bodybuilding is about.

I've noticed you don't do deadlifts. Why is that?
Hrmmm