Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 352149 times)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2007, 06:06:19 PM »
You have a thick quads, the hams are coming along nicely aswell.

I wish I had some calves lol.

Thanks David, my quads and hams are my strong bodyparts for sure.  You and me both on the calves, does not help my calves proportion much with my upper leg size.

What kind of lunges are best for leg development?

Walking or the forward/backward type. I find the walking better.

I agree both are good.  Look at Ronnie C do the walking kind and its hard to say they are not good, But I bet If R.C. just sat there and bent his legs back and forth they would grow huge LOL  The Man has SICK leg genetics!

I like the back and forth ones.  But I do them different than most I think.  I use a light barbell about 100lbs max for me and step far forward till my back leg is almost straight and my rear knee just touches the ground, its a very deep lunge.  Then I push hard using both legs to get back to the start position.  Whats cool is it develops explosive power to get back to the start and the muscles worked using the rear leg in that position are not always hit hard like that so you will get major sore.  It hits the rods (sartorius) hard.  I do one leg at a time no alternating, this helps you get in a groove and work the balance better.  I feel this is lacking in the walking lunge.  If you try them start with no weight and get the form down first.  Trust me you will not need much weight on these.  Man I wonder if my gym would mind if I shot a short clip of me doing them, I will see if I can get that done.

I was training legs with a couple dudes who have both done national level comps one recently and the other not so recent.  But both of those guys could not hang on these lunges, the one dude pulled his groin pretty good and was hurting for weeks afterward.  I kind of felt bad cause I was picking the exercises that day and I lead them straight into hell.................... ..But thats how I roll  8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2007, 06:37:59 PM »
I like the back and forth ones.  But I do them different than most I think.  I use a light barbell about 100lbs max for me and step far forward till my back leg is almost straight and my rear knee just touches the ground, its a very deep lunge.  Then I push hard using both legs to get back to the start position.  Whats cool is it develops explosive power to get back to the start and the muscles worked using the rear leg in that position are not always hit hard like that so you will get major sore.  It hits the rods (sartorius) hard.  I do one leg at a time no alternating, this helps you get in a groove and work the balance better.  I feel this is lacking in the walking lunge.  If you try them start with no weight and get the form down first.  Trust me you will not need much weight on these.  Man I wonder if my gym would mind if I shot a short clip of me doing them, I will see if I can get that done.

I was training legs with a couple dudes who have both done national level comps one recently and the other not so recent.  But both of those guys could not hang on these lunges, the one dude pulled his groin pretty good and was hurting for weeks afterward.  I kind of felt bad cause I was picking the exercises that day and I lead them straight into hell.................... ..But thats how I roll  8)

haha you may want to hold off on taking them through the GH drops then!   :D

There is something to be said about getting that explosive power off the bottom of the lunge...it's gotta make you stronger on squats too.

A video clip sounds like an awesome idea, Luv Baby.   :)

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2007, 08:23:47 PM »
haha you may want to hold off on taking them through the GH drops then!   :D

LOL yeah for some reason they dont wanna train legs with me too often anymore, they say yes but when the time comes they don't show.  ;)

There is something to be said about getting that explosive power off the bottom of the lunge...it's gotta make you stronger on squats too. 

Yep thats what you should do on squats, explode out of the bottom trying to push your feet thru the floor.  :)

A video clip sounds like an awesome idea, Luv Baby.   :)

Well then I'm gonna giddy up on that  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2007, 06:23:08 PM »
Yep thats what you should do on squats, explode out of the bottom trying to push your feet thru the floor.  :)

Do you put your weight on your heels when you squat? 

How do you feel about putting boards under your feet? 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2007, 06:26:58 PM »
Man tried those glute/ham drops today for legs  :'(  I will say it again Layne N is sick for being able to do those like that!  I did 2 sets and could only get the first rep on my own with out having to help myself up.

I will keep at em and maybe in a year or 2 I might be able to do 2 or 3 on my own.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2007, 06:42:07 PM »

Do you put your weight on your heels when you squat? 

How do you feel about putting boards under your feet? 

Yes I try to keep my weight on my heels as much as I can, it takes some practice but thats what you should try to do.  I always concentrate on dropping my ass first on squats and not breaking at the knees first.  This has helped the most in keeping me injury free on squats and I feel it has helped my #'s too.

Learned this from an old PL, who has since passed and I miss him.  But he always wanted me to try PL and he thought I would have made a good one.  I was having knee trouble from squating and I was talking to him about it one day.  I may have already told this story but he said "lets watch your form"  he observed me from the side and said I was knee squater and I needed to get that ass down first like sitting in a chair, that one change and trying to keep the weight back on my heels has made all the difference in the world.  I always squat with a narrow stance, which he didnt like but I do and I feel it hits the quads harder with less glutes and hips involved.

I do not like the idea of squating with your heels elevated, I feel it puts too much pressure on my knees.  When I first started I did that but I was quite a bit younger, my joints are not what they used to be  :(

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2007, 07:45:05 PM »
Man tried those glute/ham drops today for legs  :'(  I will say it again Layne N is sick for being able to do those like that!  I did 2 sets and could only get the first rep on my own with out having to help myself up.

I will keep at em and maybe in a year or 2 I might be able to do 2 or 3 on my own.

They are mean.
Hopefully you wont be too sore.  I got sore in places that I didnt even know could get sore.  My left hammy was so sore one day that I was actually concerned that I may have torn it.   :-[

Just for that, I am going to conquer them.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »

They are mean.
Hopefully you wont be too sore.  I got sore in places that I didnt even know could get sore.  My left hammy was so sore one day that I was actually concerned that I may have torn it.   :-[

Just for that, I am going to conquer them.   8)

Yeah, Im feeling sore in the glutes already and its just 12 hours or so since I did them.....I think thats a good sign  ;)..........or bad (said in a scared voice)

Now about the form on them rip, I was putting a lot of pressure on my knees should I have the weight, meaning the bench more on my quads?  But that might make it more like a hyper extension  :-\

Edit:  I watched the vid again and I was doing them right with the knee placement.  Man they are a little hard on the knees WWWHHHAAAAA  :P that must be why the trainer at my gym I asked about them said to use a pad for the knees.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2007, 10:45:35 AM »

I did legs and tried these today.  I did two sets with no weight as a warmup exercise and also to get the feel of the movement. 
However, I considered your story about your buddies, and I did a 10 minute warmup on the stairclimber and stretched a bit before doing them!   

I also did two sets with a 30 pound barbell after my squats and deadlifts.

I learned a couple of things:

---These are good for developing your core muscles and stabilizers.  I had a hard time balancing and nailing the form on the weighted sets. 
---I need to start with my weaker leg on this exercise because it's a killer.  I was pooped by the time I got through my first leg!
---These may be good to superset in order to strengthen my left leg during the off-season.

Thanks Luv!   :-*

On another note, I did 165 for 6 today as my last set of straight legged deads.    8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2007, 11:26:46 AM »

I did legs and tried these today.  I did two sets with no weight as a warmup exercise and also to get the feel of the movement. 
However, I considered your story about your buddies, and I did a 10 minute warmup on the stairclimber and stretched a bit before doing them!   

I also did two sets with a 30 pound barbell after my squats and deadlifts.

I learned a couple of things:

---These are good for developing your core muscles and stabilizers.  I had a hard time balancing and nailing the form on the weighted sets. 
---I need to start with my weaker leg on this exercise because it's a killer.  I was pooped by the time I got through my first leg!
---These may be good to superset in order to strengthen my left leg during the off-season.

Thanks Luv!   :-*

On another note, I did 165 for 6 today as my last set of straight legged deads.    8)

Your welcome ripster  :)  Thanks for trying them and making those good points about what you learned.  I agree they work the core and stabilizers hard, there is  quite a bit of balance involved.  They do kill, each rep is a lot of movement and effort for the body.  When the going gets hard on these just keep your concentration and take your time.  There have been times I have lost the balance or when dropping into it just kept going down till I was resting on that back knee to hold me up.  These things also do a number on your quads too.

I think you will be pretty sore from these. Great weight on the SLDL's!! Man you have been pounding them glutes and hams hard!!  Something tells me they will be quite a bit more fantastic than they already are  :-*

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2007, 04:40:52 AM »
Man my hams got nice and sore from those G/H drops!!  Glad i did just 2 sets cause the level of soreness is just about right. Im sure if I did more sets they would be toast.  Thanks for the warning ripster!  Will try those again next time and then probally work them in every other workout.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: September 05, 2007, 04:52:56 AM »
Man my hams got nice and sore from those G/H drops!!  Glad i did just 2 sets cause the level of soreness is just about right. Im sure if I did more sets they would be toast.  Thanks for the warning ripster!  Will try those again next time and then probally work them in every other workout.

I am glad to hear that you are still walking!!   I think I may have to cut the GH drops for a while if I want to train for this bench competition.  I noticed my right elbow getting a bit sore from pushing my big butt back up on these.  I tried to switch arms, and I don't have enough coordination to do it with my left arm.  I can't risk a sore elbow.  :(

I may still try them here and there, and eventually I'll get back to them and conquer them.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: September 05, 2007, 04:55:18 AM »

I am glad to hear that you are still walking!!   I think I may have to cut the GH drops for a while if I want to train for this bench competition.  I noticed my right elbow getting a bit sore from pushing my big butt back up on these.  I tried to switch arms, and I don't have enough coordination to do it with my left arm.  I can't risk a sore elbow.  :(

I may still try them here and there, and eventually I'll get back to them and conquer them.

Yep no reason to get hurt doing them. Half the game is staying injury free.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2007, 08:21:55 AM »
Yep no reason to get hurt doing them. Half the game is staying injury free.

It wouldn't be such a problem if I could get my heavy ass back up without extra assistance.    :'(

I'll prolly put these on hold until February and pick them up again then.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2007, 02:52:42 PM »

It wouldn't be such a problem if I could get my heavy ass back up without extra assistance.    :'(

I'll prolly put these on hold until February and pick them up again then.

Yes it worked out great with the set up i have at my gym.  There is another seated calve machine right in front of the one i was using for the G/H drops and i was using that to push my self back up and even had to use it in the latter reps to lower myself without just falling forward!!

These may be a tuff offseason excercise while the BW is up there.  Leaned out might make them easier.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2007, 04:08:35 AM »
I was slightly sore and a little tight from doing the lunges....pretty much just the right amount, as I wasn't totally crippled.  It was mostly around my inner thighs and hip flexors/groin area, which suggests to me that I need to stretch and get a little more flexible there.   I'll definitely be using these to try to improve my symmetry and bring my left leg up.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2007, 05:02:12 AM »
I was slightly sore and a little tight from doing the lunges....pretty much just the right amount, as I wasn't totally crippled.  It was mostly around my inner thighs and hip flexors/groin area, which suggests to me that I need to stretch and get a little more flexible there.   I'll definitely be using these to try to improve my symmetry and bring my left leg up.

"it's like that and as a matter of fact when it comes to the Rip she's got the shit that makes your neck snap back"    :-*

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2007, 06:55:33 AM »
Luv - Very few White Guys should rap!  ;D We are not genetically disposed (Crack might help)

But, regardless... Yeah, there prolly a few car fenders been crunched by inattentive guys driving
watch'n her walk... Like Hey - Ya got liability Insh for that but?  ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2007, 02:30:51 PM »
Luv - Very few White Guys should rap!  ;D We are not genetically disposed (Crack might help)

But, regardless... Yeah, there prolly a few car fenders been crunched by inattentive guys driving
watch'n her walk... Like Hey - Ya got liability Insh for that but?  ;D

Yeah I know its just that verse fit the rip baby so well I couldnt help myself  :D I wish I could take credit for it but its actually from a pretty old rap song that will very much motivate anyone, just get the explicit version, I listen to it the day of a show or training and that shit pumps me up!  I do have more lol

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2007, 03:10:46 PM »
Yeah I know its just that verse fit the rip baby so well I couldnt help myself  :D I wish I could take credit for it but its actually from a pretty old rap song that will very much motivate anyone, just get the explicit version, I listen to it the day of a show or training and that shit pumps me up!  I do have more lol

I'z just messing w/ ya  ;D.

I like anything fast from:AC/DC Kid Rock AeroSmith... I cant stand that junk they play in comercial Gyms.
Music should pump ya up to train, I loved to ski fast w/ headphones on. Duck the avalanche boundry rope and Go!
Alta & Brighton  ;).
I can blast what music I want, drop weights at will in my garage. Its about 25' x 20'   at least 80% room dedicated to
weights.. I'd like to add some stuff, maybe toward end of year. Need more plate.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2007, 04:02:29 AM »
"it's like that and as a matter of fact when it comes to the Rip she's got the shit that makes your neck snap back"    :-*

What song is that anyway?   :D

You inspired me to post a pic of what my glutes looked like two months ago.  Hopefully it will motivate me to hit it hard, but I do think those GH drops are going to help me make some improvements in this area.  Credit to TRE for the pic.   8)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2007, 10:41:07 AM »
I take back everything bad I ever said about TRE.  ;)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2007, 10:42:02 AM »

You inspired me to post a pic of what my glutes looked like two months ago.  Hopefully it will motivate me to hit it hard, but I do think those GH drops are going to help me make some improvements in this area.  Credit to TRE for the pic.   8)

Nice ass Rip, needs a little more meat, but not bad at all.
E

corinth

• Getbig IV
  • Team Wolf
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2007, 12:22:46 PM »

I just found my new screensaver.

Thanks Rip

;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2007, 03:08:36 PM »

MY, My  :o  Im glad I can be that inpsirational to you sweetheart.  See I knew I was right on with the lyrics.  BOOOOOM!

That lyrics, of course slightly modified for rip, were from a mid 90's rap song by the self proclaimed "ghetto ass bi*ch" straight out of Chi-town Da Brat and the song is Funkdafied  ;)
The rappers from that period were always rapping about how good they were and how much weed they smoked LOL, the Brat was no exception, according to Blockhead she still rolls wit the People Nation. Da Bratt made national headlines for an altercation in Atlanta where she allegedlly pistol whipped a female patron in a nightclub.

The 2nd verse is bad ass for getting yourself fired up before jumping on stage!!  ;)  Just dont get the radio edited version cause it is very lame

"Hard times in the Funk

Intro: Jermaine Dupri

Yeah, So Funkdafied
So let's take a ride with the Brat, tat, tat tat...on that ass

Chorus:

So, So, So Funkdafied
So, So, So Funkdafied
So, So, So Funkdafied

Verse 1:

Open up, open up
And let the funk flow in
From this nugga name J and his new found friend
I'm hittin switches like Eric on the solo creep
For yo OG it's the B.R.A.T.
Puttin the dip in your hip from right to left
It's that ghetto ass bitch and I'm So So Def
Nugga that's my click
Nugga that's who I rolls with
And we kicks nothing but the fat shit.

Them calls me the funkdafied, funkalistic, vocalistic
with the real shit, we got the shit you can't fu*k wit
(Why?!)
Because we so funkdafied
(Why?!)
We make you move from side to side
Well, it's da G H da E T T O, nugga
Brat and J.D. comin' like that big baby
So lay back and listen as I catch up on my pimpin'
And freak this duet just like Ashford and Simpson

Chorus:

Cause I'm so, so, so funkdafied
So, So, So funkdafied
So, So, So funkdafied
So, So, So Funkdafied

Verse 2:

Puttin' it down, puttin' it down ain't no thang to me
And there ain't too many hoes that can hang with me
It's like that and as a matter of fact
When it comes to the Brat I got the shit that make your neck snap back
Meaning I got the shit that a get'cha bent
Tearing the roof off this mutha like Parliament
I'm on a roll In Control like Janet, damnit!
Brat your the funk Bandit and they can't handle it
I know
That's why I keep hittin'em with this grammer
Lettin' nuggas know that I'm the real mama jama
Straight to the head like a chronic sack
I pass the mic to the Brat and yo I passed it back

Wella sistas and fellas
It's time to get your groove on
I provide the funkdafied sounds that make yo move homes
Breaking these fools off proper like
It's S.O.S.O.D.E.F. dynamite
Hummin, hummin comin up at cha like Ralph K