Author Topic: Pumping iron finale: Lou's biggest mistake of his life?  (Read 14553 times)

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
Pumping iron finale: Lou's biggest mistake of his life?
« on: June 29, 2007, 07:45:50 AM »
Here is the final third of the movie.  I often wonder if Big Lou-ser hadn't done the movie... would he have won the whole show in 76 or 77?  He probably wouldn't have been offered the Hulk role... but would WINNING something have made him a happier person in life?

Pumping Iron: Part 7
http://www.getanabolics.com/2007/06/our-seventh-installment-of-pumping-iron.html

Pumping Iron: Part 8
http://www.getanabolics.com/2007/06/pumping-iron-89.html

Pumping Iron: Part 9 (final clip)
http://www.getanabolics.com/2007/06/final-clip-from-pumping-iron.html
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Re: Pumping iron finale: Lou's biggest mistake of his life?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 07:50:53 AM »
IF lou would of won, his asshole dad still would of made him feel like a moron hahahha
L

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 07:57:23 AM »
I think Lou's biggest mistake (apparently it upset Butler a great deal), was asking the cameramen for $20 after every scene was shot...

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:47:02 AM »
yea, his dad was a jerk.  but lou could have owned arnold in another 2 years of growing.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 09:50:46 AM »
lou could have owned arnold in another 2 years of growing.

Who's your crack dealer?

As Arnold said in Pumping Iron, "I get bigger too, so it doesn't matter. Let's get it over with."  8)

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:57:06 AM »
No, his legs were no good, his lats so-so, his arms weren't that good (no peak). He was a big BB but just not Olympia material.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 10:59:42 AM »
Arnold had said if he had Louie's genetics he could build a physique that wouldn't be beat for 20 years.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 11:12:07 AM »
yea, his dad was a jerk.  but lou could have owned arnold in another 2 years of growing.

Wishful thinking; he never had muscle maturity or Arnold's refinement or volume, and nothing in his personality screamed winner.

Arnold had said if he had Louie's genetics he could build a physique that wouldn't be beat for 20 years.

Arnold IMO being nice saying Lou could've won in the 70s i don't think he was ever better than Nubret, Fox, Oliva, Padilla, etc..

Wee Laddy

• Getbig II
  • Bow to your bunny overlords!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »
That's another way of saying, "Lou is too dumb and lazy to create a winning physique despite his great genetics."

Classic Arnold head games.

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 11:47:44 AM »
It wasn't just his dad that controlled him.

Didn't have the genetics of Arnold.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 11:49:23 AM »

Classic Arnold head games.

The only head games are with you, he has you believing it at every turn. Arnold was just being gracious after the fact.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 11:52:41 AM »
Lou's biggest mistake was listening to that twat of a dad of his - he let the guy totally control him. Louie lacks serious confidence in Pumping Iron and all it did was make Arnold look all the greater.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 11:54:57 AM »
Lou's biggest mistake was listening to that twat of a dad of his - he let the guy totally control him. Louie lacks serious confidence in Pumping Iron and all it did was make Arnold look all the greater.

Give him a break, he didn't know better & wasn't savvy. Anyone in that state of mind with a learning disorder would've done same; he was basically a kid.

As far as the Dad thing, as you probably know parts of that were staged for the movie; his Dad was never his trainer in reality. Nor was he training in Brooklyn he was in Venice.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 11:59:09 AM »
He wasn't that much younger than Arnold when he did the movie.

Nonetheless, to be honest I do think he got a raw deal from that film - it was really all about Arnold who probably had a say in how it was to be staged.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 12:03:51 PM »
He wasn't that much younger than Arnold when he did the movie.

Nonetheless, to be honest I do think he got a raw deal from that film - it was really all about Arnold who probably had a say in how it was to be staged.

Yup, Arnold and Weide managed the movie as basically a star vehicle, which is why it wasn't as accurate as the book in showing other BBs like Oliva, Nubret, etc.

As far as age, Ferrigno was in his early 20s with a learning disability, so figure on him being in his mid-teens mentally.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 12:14:19 PM »
Yup, Arnold and Weide managed the movie as basically a star vehicle, which is why it wasn't as accurate as the book in showing other BBs like Oliva, Nubret, etc.

As far as age, Ferrigno was in his early 20s with a learning disability, so figure on him being in his mid-teens mentally.

True - I take it back - Arnold must have seen him coming.

The Pumping Iron book was so much better than the film - it was a decent sensible account of bodybuilding showing a multitude of big names in the sport at the time, their lifestyles and their personalities. If the sport had gone on and followed that example then it might be a bit more popular today....

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 12:35:09 PM »
True - I take it back - Arnold must have seen him coming.

The Pumping Iron book was so much better than the film - it was a decent sensible account of bodybuilding showing a multitude of big names in the sport at the time, their lifestyles and their personalities. If the sport had gone on and followed that example then it might be a bit more popular today....

Totally a softball set-up for Arnold & Weider that movie - never focused on any other great BBs; guys like Nubret or Oliva who weren't dummies.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 12:41:15 PM »

Arnold said that the film was a "docu-drama"; which would explain some of the discrepancies.

As for Ferrigno, I don't recall him having a learning disability; he was simply (partially) deaf; hence, it took him  a bit longer to learn how to read and speak.

Jake_W

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 12:48:53 PM »

Master Blaster

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 12:50:36 PM »
Arnold said that the film was a "docu-drama"; which would explain some of the discrepancies.

As for Ferrigno, I don't recall him having a learning disability; he was simply (partially) deaf; hence, it took him a bit longer to learn how to read and speak.

Yeah, he learned how to scam little kids out of cash at ever opportunity, so he can't be too dumb.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 01:05:54 PM »

Lou simply needed more size, because of his height. He was 268 at the 1975 Olympia. Perhaps, had he hit 285 or 290, he would have looked as thick as Arnold did (in comparison).

Master Blaster

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 02:08:02 PM »
Anyone got pics of him during his prep for the Masters? I head he was getting close to 300 before he got "sick".

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 02:11:21 PM »
Anyone got pics of him during his prep for the Masters? I head he was getting close to 300 before he got "sick".

He was 315 at the 1993 Olympia. Exactly what sickness did he get?

Master Blaster

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 02:21:17 PM »
He got a stomach flu before one of his masters attempts. I put it in "scare quotes" to sound sinister. ;)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 02:25:53 PM »
He got a stomach flu before one of his masters attempts. I put it in "scare quotes" to sound sinister. ;)

He only entered the Masters Olympia once (the first one). Despite being heavily favored, he placed second to Robby Robinson.