Author Topic: Pumping iron finale: Lou's biggest mistake of his life?  (Read 14469 times)

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
Re: Pumping iron finale: Lou's biggest mistake of his life?
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 02:46:38 PM »
Totally a softball set-up for Arnold & Weider that movie - never focused on any other great BBs; guys like Nubret or Oliva who weren't dummies.

I agree with you on the Nubret aspect. As for Oliva? Homeboy wasn't shooting for the '75 Olympia so I can see why he wasn't included.

Master Blaster

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 02:53:02 PM »
He only entered the Masters Olympia once (the first one). Despite being heavily favored, he placed second to Robby Robinson.

Ok, so that was the one he got "sick" just before the show. Anyway:

BOOM!

$20 bucks to get this bad boy signed!

Master Blaster

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »

Thats how your receptors respond after a layoff. Sombody get Kovaks on the phone!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 03:00:36 PM »
I agree with you on the Nubret aspect. As for Oliva? Homeboy wasn't shooting for the '75 Olympia so I can see why he wasn't included.

He wasn't in it for the same reason he didn't show up in '73 and '74. Knew he wouldn't win just as in '72 becuase it was a Weider show.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
Totally a softball set-up for Arnold & Weider that movie - never focused on any other great BBs; guys like Nubret or Oliva who weren't dummies.

Who else would have given the movie the flair that Schwarzenegger did?

Plus, there's the segment of the film, covering the Universe, in which Arnold is hardly mentioned.

wala

• Getbig II
  • One from the bottom - Remember the theory
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2007, 04:09:51 PM »

Plus, there's the segment of the film, covering the Universe, in which Arnold is hardly mentioned.

true
Hear me now, believe l8r

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2007, 04:11:45 PM »

You're mixing one thing with the other. No one's denying the need for Arnold's presence, but there were enough areas of the film outside of that that could've been more inclusive of other BBs.

The problem that you're apparently unwilling to accept is that greater accuracy in the book would've interfered with the star vehicle the movie was meant to be. There was really no need for segments on Columbu or Katz when other BBs or training could've been shown that would've better reflected the book.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2007, 05:55:38 PM »

Thats how your receptors respond after a layoff. Sombody get Kovaks on the phone!

as offensive as his personality is, he did look good for that comeback, got 12th at the Olympia (94?) doing cardio nonstop up to the day of the show, and claimed (and i probably believe him) that he looked tons better the next day when he filled out.

IMO he could have won 2 Olympias.  Wasn't he very young in Pumping Iron?  Five more years and he would have easily won over zane and franco, being taller and wider.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2007, 06:08:33 PM »
as offensive as his personality is, he did look good for that comeback, got 12th at the Olympia (94?) doing cardio nonstop up to the day of the show, and claimed (and i probably believe him) that he looked tons better the next day when he filled out.

IMO he could have won 2 Olympias.  Wasn't he very young in Pumping Iron?  Five more years and he would have easily won over zane and franco, being taller and wider.

2 Olympias were possible *if* he improved, which he didn't show much ambition for; then again in fair contests Nubret, Oliva, Fox, Szkalak, Robinson and Padilla would've been there every year too. ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2007, 06:25:31 PM »
Was Lou 20 during pumping Iron?

If so, I'd guess he was a more complete 20 than all those other guys, Arnold included.

Mr. Cortisol

• Getbig IV
  • Twink, Twink, little star.
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2007, 09:17:19 AM »
Ferrign2o would nevre have won an olympia.

zane killed him on shape, franco killed him on thickness.

lou made the right choice going to tv
Addicted to the Steal

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2007, 10:10:37 AM »
Please.  This O was made for Arnold.  As long as he showed up looking competition ready, the Weider's already had the score cards completed.  He was their boy.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2007, 12:38:28 PM »
No, his legs were no good, his lats so-so, his arms weren't that good (no peak). He was a big BB but just not Olympia material.

Yup! Folks forget he beat nobody in the 75 Olympia Hvy wt class, he got 3rd out of 3 and was outclassed by Serge Nubret for 2nd  , a good 50-60 lbs lighter.
Lou made the most of his bodybuilding by going into Hollywood.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2007, 12:49:47 PM »
Please.  This O was made for Arnold.  As long as he showed up looking competition ready, the Weider's already had the score cards completed.  He was their boy.

Agreed BUT he was also alot better than Ferrigno.

Priceless

• Getbig II
  • sevastase was my first victim
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2007, 02:03:50 PM »
He only entered the Masters Olympia once (the first one). Despite being heavily favored, he placed second to Robby Robinson.

He also fell off the stage in that show...

Another reason he got 2nd was he had blatant balloon-like calf implants...

He cried like a bitch after the placings - this was edited out of later versions of the movie Stand Tall which was meant to be lou's version of pumping iron - but as usual he blew it by losing again....

christ, in one scene he gives his retirement speach and he's copied it word for word from arnold at the 75 olympia - his whole life is like a piss-weak version of arnolds.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2007, 02:11:10 PM »
that's incredible.

anyone have pics of lou's calf implants?

Priceless

• Getbig II
  • sevastase was my first victim

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2007, 02:37:42 PM »
yea, his dad was a jerk.  but lou could have owned arnold in another 2 years of growing.
his dad was instructed to act like that through the movie.......

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2007, 09:26:30 AM »
how come they never banned serge for the naked scenes?
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2007, 09:32:15 AM »
did serge upset everybody by bringing a white bitch to south africa with him?
$

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2007, 08:29:04 AM »
You're mixing one thing with the other. No one's denying the need for Arnold's presence, but there were enough areas of the film outside of that that could've been more inclusive of other BBs.

The problem that you're apparently unwilling to accept is that greater accuracy in the book would've interfered with the star vehicle the movie was meant to be. There was really no need for segments on Columbu or Katz when other BBs or training could've been shown that would've better reflected the book.

What part of "docu-drama" didn't you understand?

Furthermore, Pumping Iron would have been filmed with or without Arnold. Without him, it wouldn't have done as well. Remember that he wanted to be in the movie, but he didn't want to compete. George Butler didn't want it like that. If Arnold didn't compete, Butler wasn't going to put him in the film.

According to Arnold, the investors thought a lot of the footage was boring. That's a reason why they set up scenes to make things interesting, such as Ken Waller's "plot" to fluster Mike Katz by hiding his T-shirt. As you may know, that scene (with Waller, Robby Robinson, and another guy whose name I can't remember, throwing the football around) was shot after the Universe.

The movie does a nice transition: From Arnold guest-posing at a prison, to pics of him in the magazines, to an amateur (looking up to Arnold) getting tips from the Oak, to that amateur competing in a local show, to Mike Katz guest-posing at that show, to Katz's background (starting with him playing with his kids), to his commentary on his competition at the Universe and seeing Waller as his chief competition, to the football scene with Waller and crew, listening to Waller criticize Katz's physique he plans to "mess his (Katz's) mind up a little bit".

With Franco Columbu, the only interesting thing the filmmakers could do was have him move that car in his old home country of Sardinia.

Most of what I've just mentioned takes a good chunk of time from the film, WITHOUT Schwarzenegger involved at all. The films showcase two contests: The Universe and the Olympia. They wanted to make each contest appear to be a two-man show: The Mr. Universe, being between Katz and Waller; and the Mr. Olympia, between Ferrigno and Schwarzenegger.

That helped make the film more intriguing, setting up the "mind games", supposedly pulled off by Waller and Schwarzenegger on Katz and Ferrigno, respectively.

Scott Welch

• Getbig I
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2007, 09:12:37 PM »
If he would have just listened to his dad when he told him to turn to the left side of the audience and then the right side of the audience when he hit the front double biceps pose, he may have won! LOL
Scott Welch
Muscle News

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: The 75 Mr. O was Between Serge and Arnold only...
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2007, 06:15:10 AM »
Here is Serge right before he came to S. Africa for the 75 O.  When he got there and they saw him, he was told he could not compete. He was upset and dropped 20 lbs. not eating, training or sleeping. When they noticed this, they let him back in the contest last minute. He still beat Lou and everyone except Arnold landing second place. There was no serious competition for Arnold that year...except Serge.

He only beat Ferrigno. Nubret only had two opponents, as everyone else was in the "under 200-lb." class. Plus, how are you so sure that, had he beaten Schwarzenegger, he would have defeated Franco Columbu for the overall?

Remember that Columbu beat the "over 200-lb." class winner the following year to win his first Olympia.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2007, 08:42:40 AM »
would you buy a book written by Lou Ferrigno?  Like an autobiography?
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2007, 04:18:17 PM »
would you buy a book written by Lou Ferrigno?  Like an autobiography?

I'd read it online for kicks.  I wouldn't shell out $20 for it.