Author Topic: Pumping iron finale: Lou's biggest mistake of his life?  (Read 14475 times)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
Re: Pumping iron finale: Lou's biggest mistake of his life?
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2007, 09:36:15 AM »
the big Lou-ser, I really like that  :)
X

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2007, 09:37:39 AM »
serge had a tremendous physique and it seems he may have had the potential to beat said bbers, but the simple fact is that he didn't. he didn't even compete against them and it is speculative and unfair to those bbers to say that he would have beaten them.

serge had flaws in relation to competitive bbing criteria, namely that his legs were very underdeveloped compared to his upper body. on a stage, by comparison to the aformentioned bbers, they were terrible.

peak bannout and dickerson would have mopped the floor with him.

that is no disrespect against serge. some of the shots of him are better than any upper torso i've ever seen. leonardo davinci couldn't have created a better work of art, but competitive bbing is a different ball game (i didn't say better, just different). from what the man has stated on the subject, it seems that he really didn't want to have the huge wheels anyway and, if he did train with an intent to acquire them, would he have maintained his unique quality?

serge chose not to compete at some point and, at the end of the day, it was probably a very smart decision, especially if he was going to be treated like he was pre 1975 mr o.

he obviously continued to work on his magnificent work of art and made somewhat of a career for himself. many would say that his physique was better for it, which makes me think that maybe serge was not suited for competition anyway. his physique and personality was unique, that being consistant with the artist he was.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2007, 09:44:43 AM »
Did he compete, head-up, against Zane, or Columbu, or Dickerson, or Bannout?

Unless he did so, your continued "Serge wuz robbed" bleatings are little more that speculation.

You've yet to demonstrate that, had Nubret defeated Schwarzenegger in 1975, he would have gone onward to defeat Columbu for the overall title.

Some of us think out the box while the sheep accept Weider's highly commercial contest placings at face value.

Columbu, Zane, Dickerson and Bannout winning was basically like the Olympics without the Soviets, given the numbers of top guys who left or retired from the IFBB because of this crap. They saw it clearly while you continue with selective memory.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2007, 10:48:20 AM »
How do you know who I have talked to? lol. Serge is a family friend. I have a family member who started bodybuilding in the 1940s. Because of it...I've learned a lot from quite a few people actually.

Steve Reeves?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2007, 11:47:51 AM »
Some of us think out the box while the sheep accept Weider's highly commercial contest placings at face value.

Columbu, Zane, Dickerson and Bannout winning was basically like the Olympics without the Soviets, given the numbers of top guys who left or retired from the IFBB because of this crap. They saw it clearly while you continue with selective memory.

Who was stopping Serge Nubret from competing? Nobody! He chose to bail from the IFBB. So be it.

Funny you should mention sheep, as you're the one doing all the bleating about Serge being robbed.

Some of us don't turn on the water works and wail about our favorite bodybuilder being robbed, when he doesn't get his hand raised in a contest.

What I asked was a simple question: Did Serge Nubret compete, head-to-head with those aforementioned bodybuilders?

If the answer to that is "NO", then all of your weeping and gnasing of teeth about what Nubret would've, could've, or should've have done against them is little more than speculation (with a sprinkle of bitterness).

Again, your claim that Nubret beat everyone in the 1975 Olympia, except Arnold, is FALSE, pure and simple. He did not compete directly against the under-200-lb. weight class competitors. He went against Arnold and Lou and placed second.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2007, 12:14:05 PM »

i don't understand what you're talking about here pump.

which competition exactly do you think serge should have won?

which top guys left or retired from the ifbb that could have made an impact? off the top of my head i'm thinking oliva, nubret, mentzer, padilla, coe, callender...yes, there were quite a few, but then...

oliva had his day in the sun and won a couple before becoming disillusioned with weider.

nubret was never a factor in competition. let's face it. if someone can tell me one mr olympia competition that he should have won, please come forward with the answer. he also became disillusioned with weider.

mentzer spat his dummy and took his bat and ball home but, tbh, the guy was never mr o and there is nothing at all to indicate he ever would be. he had great condition and muscularity and that's it. nothing particularly outstanding apart from that.

padilla was a great short man. should have beaten columbu but that was only because franco's legs were terrible and it was a bad year competition wise. any other year post 1967 and he would have been lucky to get top 6. in any case, he never showed that level of conditioning previous or since.

coe NEVER displayed a mr o physique. way too many flaws, simple as that. in fact i was being generous including him.

callender was a wild card. he was a front runner alright but only on a bad year. nothing particularly outstanding. kind of like dickerson.

dickerson simply didn't have a mr olympia body. did the gay community have something to do with this or was the quality really that bad that year. i'm not going to bother checking the field the year dickerson won it because, if he was the best of them, i would be bored out of my skull watching it.

zane had great structure, balance, symmetry and condition. everything but mass really. obviously a great competitor (as opposed to nubret) as the man knew where his strengths lay and he made sure he was better than everyone else at them. the guy was outmuscled in every olympia he entered but (and this is an important point) he was always balanced and shredded with near perfect symmetry and proportion. nubret had a far far better structure and much better lines and torso development, but he NEVER had zane's proportion (read: weak lower body) or condition on stage. absolutely useless in pics by himself. why some people don't get this fact is beyond comprehension.

YOU HAVE TO COMPETE WITH OTHER COMPETITORS ON STAGE BEFORE YOU CAN BEAT THEM ie pics are useless in this regard.

bannout: didn't like his shape (or his personality - beside the point) personally, but on the night he won he was the best competitor on stage and if someone can come up with a single bber in the world that should have beaten him that night then let's hear your argument?

arguments can be made for fox who came later but they are purely speculative and are useless in the scheme of things so let me just say this and challenge anyone to prove otherwise:

fox NEVER displayed a physique that could have beaten haney, christian, gaspari, labrada, ...(i could go on but i think the point's made) in a bbing contest. again, he looked great 12 weeks out and in mag pics but when he was standing on stage next to the likes of lee haney and richie gaspari he was invisible.

robinson? see fox.

these are the cold hard facts pump. if you can come up with something other than conjecture and speculation please post it.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2007, 01:00:31 PM »
2 Olympias were possible *if* he improved, which he didn't show much ambition for; then again in fair contests Nubret, Oliva, Fox, Szkalak, Robinson and Padilla would've been there every year too. ;)

Pumpster. I would think Louie would have been passed the torch from Arnold. One reason why, he was the type of guy who was marketable. He was very popular. He was 6'5". An interesting story.
The House that Ruth built

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2007, 07:33:10 PM »
Pumpster. I would think Louie would have been passed the torch from Arnold. One reason why, he was the type of guy who was marketable. He was very popular. He was 6'5". An interesting story.

Ya that's true. He replaced Draper and Oliva with Arnold and liked the bigger guys over 6' with a herculean look if he had a choice. So that succession would've made sense. Weider probably felt like i do that the smaller guys who won around then were not the ideals.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2007, 05:26:32 AM »
Pumpster...did you really say "Serge wuz robbed" because that sounds more like Elmer Fudd to me. I think Serge WAS robbed...he needed a lot of juice to beat Franco. Some of these guys are right...Serge shouldn't even try because we should decide not to find one good thing about him...and the bad sportsmanship against him doesn't even matter...let's overlook it completely since no one else there did... The Iron Game Legends who were there who tell it like it is...what do they know? Just listen to the people here who weren't there instead! The bottom line is winning at all costs. That's all that matters...you and I are just slow to learn. When the Weiders banned Serge from competing...and slandered his name...they were just kidding...Serge's problem was he didn't have a sense of humor about it. It hurt his family and acting career, but so what? It was a joke...and we can pretend it didn't happen later...

Serge, Sergio, Arnold
Can someone tell me what a NORMAL pose is? Evidently, Serge was Mr. World 6 times because he didn't know. Marvin...you missed your calling...you could be standing in front of Serge and showing him how to do a NORMAL pose. "Oh and also"...I will give him the link to this thread so he can read your comment and contact you. If there's time...maybe you could tell us what those Olympia judges were looking for since you were there...weren't you?

This does not look like a NORMAL pose to me...I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but there has to be something if we look hard enough. Marvin I don't know what to tell Serge how to improve. When he calls you...maybe you could tell him. He'll be grateful for your expertise. He's only been doing it for over 50 years...I'm sure you could teach him a lot.

http://digilander.libero.it/sergenubret/nub34.jpg

Those old shots are so much cooler than what are in  the magazines today. Not to mention that the physiques of the 70's are lightyears ahead of todays bodybuilders.
The House that Ruth built

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2007, 07:14:10 AM »
Reading comprehensions, Made?

I never said I knew how Serge should improve.

I said that Arnold had the better physique.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2007, 07:27:57 AM »
Made in Montana

i know you are very passionate about the wrongs done to your friend, Serge Nubret, by the weiders.

i'm not disputing that at all (in fact i agree that the weiders had a very clear bias with their agenda), but please tell me what mr o contest serge should have won but was denied?

it seems that you and pumpster can type for pages on how serge was ripped off, but i've never seen either of you come up with a single contest that he should have won.

even with those pics that you have provided anyone can clearly see that serge seriously lacked development in the lower body by comparison to arnold and sergio (calves, quads, hams and glutes were all weak compared to upper body).

i am not disrespecting either of you or nubret (he had an awesome physique) but let's bring more rationale and less emotion to this subject.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2007, 07:36:07 AM »
Montana, I have no doubt you know a lot about bodybuilding and Serge, etc.

But do you HONESTLY feel and believe Serge ever looked better than this??

you have got to be kidding me

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2007, 07:55:07 AM »
Pic of Sergio for comparison's sake. :)
just push some weight!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2007, 12:08:47 PM »
i don't understand what you're talking about here pump.

which competition exactly do you think serge should have won?

which top guys left or retired from the ifbb that could have made an impact? off the top of my head i'm thinking oliva, nubret, mentzer, padilla, coe, callender...yes, there were quite a few, but then...

oliva had his day in the sun and won a couple before becoming disillusioned with weider.

nubret was never a factor in competition. let's face it. if someone can tell me one mr olympia competition that he should have won, please come forward with the answer. he also became disillusioned with weider.

mentzer spat his dummy and took his bat and ball home but, tbh, the guy was never mr o and there is nothing at all to indicate he ever would be. he had great condition and muscularity and that's it. nothing particularly outstanding apart from that.

padilla was a great short man. should have beaten columbu but that was only because franco's legs were terrible and it was a bad year competition wise. any other year post 1967 and he would have been lucky to get top 6. in any case, he never showed that level of conditioning previous or since.

coe NEVER displayed a mr o physique. way too many flaws, simple as that. in fact i was being generous including him.

callender was a wild card. he was a front runner alright but only on a bad year. nothing particularly outstanding. kind of like dickerson.

dickerson simply didn't have a mr olympia body. did the gay community have something to do with this or was the quality really that bad that year. i'm not going to bother checking the field the year dickerson won it because, if he was the best of them, i would be bored out of my skull watching it.

zane had great structure, balance, symmetry and condition. everything but mass really. obviously a great competitor (as opposed to nubret) as the man knew where his strengths lay and he made sure he was better than everyone else at them. the guy was outmuscled in every olympia he entered but (and this is an important point) he was always balanced and shredded with near perfect symmetry and proportion. nubret had a far far better structure and much better lines and torso development, but he NEVER had zane's proportion (read: weak lower body) or condition on stage. absolutely useless in pics by himself. why some people don't get this fact is beyond comprehension.

YOU HAVE TO COMPETE WITH OTHER COMPETITORS ON STAGE BEFORE YOU CAN BEAT THEM ie pics are useless in this regard.

bannout: didn't like his shape (or his personality - beside the point) personally, but on the night he won he was the best competitor on stage and if someone can come up with a single bber in the world that should have beaten him that night then let's hear your argument?

arguments can be made for fox who came later but they are purely speculative and are useless in the scheme of things so let me just say this and challenge anyone to prove otherwise:

fox NEVER displayed a physique that could have beaten haney, christian, gaspari, labrada, ...(i could go on but i think the point's made) in a bbing contest. again, he looked great 12 weeks out and in mag pics but when he was standing on stage next to the likes of lee haney and richie gaspari he was invisible.

robinson? see fox.

these are the cold hard facts pump. if you can come up with something other than conjecture and speculation please post it.

I have to disagree with you about with respect to your comments about Dickerson. How does he not have an Olympia body? Remember that he was the runner-up, two years in a row, before finally winning the title in 1982. And considering the two guys that beat him in 1980 and 1981 were Arnold and Franco (respectively), I'd say Dickerson's physique was a good one.

You gave some rather complimentary statements about Zane. If I'm not mistaken, Dickerson beat Zane to win the '82 Olympia, and this was with Zane regaining his championship form from the 70s.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2007, 12:38:03 PM »
I have to disagree with you about with respect to your comments about Dickerson. How does he not have an Olympia body? Remember that he was the runner-up, two years in a row, before finally winning the title in 1982. And considering the two guys that beat him in 1980 and 1981 were Arnold and Franco (respectively), I'd say Dickerson's physique was a good one.

You gave some rather complimentary statements about Zane. If I'm not mistaken, Dickerson beat Zane to win the '82 Olympia, and this was with Zane regaining his championship form from the 70s.

yes, perhaps. i was never a fan at all of dickerson's physique. short and stocky with no apparent outstanding features imo, but that's just the point, it is just my opinion and that's what i try to point out to posters like pump and Made.

many have opinions of different pics of serge, but unless he's on stage being compared and judged at the highest calibre bbing comp (admit or not)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2007, 03:08:47 PM »
Dickerson did look like he deserve to win in '82, and was right there the preceeding years. Same for Zane other years.

The thing is neither of those guys or Bannout win with the world's best BB on stage, IMO. They were solid contenders all through the 70s until the bigger, better BBs disappeared.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2007, 12:17:33 AM »
He only entered the Masters Olympia once (the first one). Despite being heavily favored, he placed second to Robby Robinson.

It was said that the Masters Olympia was made for him, but Robby, being superior to Lou in everything but weight, spoiled it for him.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2007, 08:55:30 AM »
Made in Montana

i really don't see what your point is. you are imagining this great opposition to nubret or justification of weider. i can't stand the sight of weider and what he did to serge is one of the many reasons why.

no one is arguing that serge was not unfairly delt with prior to the '75 O or with the fact that he was a great bber, but the simple fact is, nubret CHOSE not to compete against the best bbers in the world after that time, REASONS ASIDE.

how the hell can we say whether or not serge could have beaten zane or arnold unless he did so on stage.

show me one so called 'expert' that has ever said that serge should have won a competition without competing in it??? just one will be fine.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »
The point is we're all discussing this with imperfect knowledge of what happened through the 1970s behind the scenes. Thus to argue that perfect proof is necessary to see that the contest results were questionable for a variety of reasons is unrealistic, vs. copious anecdotal evidence concerning Serge and other great BBs of the era who really should've been winning over some of the winners mid-70s - mid-80s.

Just to remind anyone who doesn't realize this, Columbu was never the world's best-built man, but won the Olympia twice. Ferrigno had he competed late-70s might've also won without being the best BB of the time. Huge piece of anecdotal evidence as to the degree of behind the scenes, commercially-driven agendas at work.

And arguing that unless they competed it's all irrelevant is really an unnecessary tangent; as i said we're discussing this with only imperfect evidence to go by.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2007, 07:24:54 AM »
Just to remind anyone who doesn't realize this, Columbu was never the world's best-built man, but won the Olympia twice. Ferrigno had he competed late-70s might've also won without being the best BB of the time.

YES!

While Lou was a big ol douchebag, he certainly would have won an O or two from 77 to 81
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2007, 08:32:01 AM »
YES!

While Lou was a big ol douchebag, he certainly would have won an O or two from 77 to 81

Well actually in fair contests, unless he continued to improve he would've been beaten by several other BBs who deserved to win but never did. This is assuming fair judging.

But in Weider's politically controlled shows ya, if Ferrigno had been in shape he'd have probably been allowed to win.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2007, 04:36:36 PM »
Geez, imagine how good this man would have looked with today's nutrition and chemicals.

Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2007, 02:44:20 PM »
Lou was 21 in pumpin iron.

By 25 he would have been the best in the world for 5 years.

Bear

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2007, 03:22:09 PM »
IF lou would of won, his asshole dad still would of made him feel like a moron hahahha

hahaha

TroubleReady39

• Getbig II
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2007, 07:32:28 AM »
IF lou would of won, his asshole dad still would of made him feel like a moron hahahha

hahahaha yes - "Lou, you FINALLY did it.  Bout time."