Author Topic: I'm thinking about carrying a little bat......  (Read 10850 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: I'm thinking about carrying a little bat......
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 07:58:33 AM »

O'dogg chillin in his crib   8)

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 08:01:11 AM »
Those suggestions are great in theory but when dogs get into a reall fight it's almost impossible to mase or pepper spray the attacking dog without hurting one of your own dogs aswell!
I've seen allot of dog fights myself where dog owners just stare at the fighting dogs instead of acting swift in getting those dogs apart.... :-\
They just freez up or something... ::)

?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 08:08:56 AM »
with me on our walks. Like one of those little Louisville sluggers.  For people and unleashed dogs. 

Had all 4 out for a walk and a rottie comes tearing over and launches himself into my big 3.  He aimed for Addie and kind of bounced off her (she really is a brick shithouse!) and then my 3 got on him but no bloodshed, just a tussle really, and then he ran back for the house.  It seemed like it was longer than it actually was because I was wondering how I was going to get in the middle of 4 dogs, but I had already formed that thought when I saw him coming. And I also managed to plant myself to  get my dogs under control for when he hit us.  All in all my dogs were really good considering what happened.

When the lady came out of her house to get him I told her "to get her fucking dog".   ::)    Ok, I was not happy, like could be expected.   She didn't even apologize or ask if mine were ok or me for that matter.   >:(  No marks on mine, no clue if he got any.  Surprisingly mine were not really fazed by it much, I even got them all into a sit while I untangled Tad (good thing he has a halter collar or he could end up getting hung in tussle like that) and we were back on our way. 

I know it was an accident, I didn't even see him, he could of bolted out of their door when he saw us, but it does tick me off that she didn't even inquire if everyone was ok and apologize.    >:(

It incidents like that that make me wonder if I should walk all 4 together or if it would be safer to split them up?  On one hand it could be a bigger tussle with all of them together, on the other hand dogs have come towards them before but then have turned around when faced with all 3 big ones, so is it actually safer with the 3 big dogs together?   :-\

That's why the bat, I could bonk the dog on the head and use it as a bite stick if I had to.  Believe me, I would be pulling them apart if I had too.  Mace or pepper spray (both which I think are illegal here) would spray my dogs too and me and while I might have been able to blast the rottie in the face before he got to my dogs, I really don't want to go around spraying that if I really didn't have to.  While feeling a bit bad, I would of felt justified today though. 

Why a bat, or anykind of assault weapon?

Why not have better regulation, keeping these careless dog owners to a minimum?

Mandatory neutering (the optimal age would have to be set by qualified scientists), health insurances, et al.

BTW, trab is on timeout, so his point of view on this matter can't be heard. :-\

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 08:14:30 AM »
Why a bat, or anykind of assault weapon?

Why not have better regulation, keeping these careless dog owners to a minimum?

Mandatory neutering (the optimal age would have to be set by qualified scientists), health insurances, et al.

BTW, trab is on timeout, so his point of view on this matter can't be heard. :-\

-Hedge

Accidents do happen, dogs do get out.  Let's not take this to the extreme. I may never have another incident like that again.  I would just like to feel a bit safer.  And I have not liked some of the people we come across on our walks so I would feel safer in general.

I don't recall asking trab. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 08:20:35 AM »
Those suggestions are great in theory but when dogs get into a reall fight it's almost impossible to mase or pepper spray the attacking dog without hurting one of your own dogs aswell!
I've seen allot of dog fights myself where dog owners just stare at the fighting dogs instead of acting swift in getting those dogs apart.... :-\

As soon as I heard and saw him coming I shortened up my leashes and got into a stance where I had leverage to control my dogs, my dogs because I was ready were not able to get to the dog, but he got to us and jumped in the middle.  I was pulling my dogs back too, but no one was pulling him (or her) back so it was kind of pointless accept for just trying to keep my dogs under control as best I could.

If their was an all out blood brawl going on, I wouldn't care if my dogs got peppered spray if it would end it. 

This guy was sitting on his steps at the house next door watching all this.  He didn't say a word.  I think he was surprised I kept it in control as best as I did.  He knew I was pissed though.
  >:(

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 08:33:45 AM »
So he was one of those "my dog will win the fight so i don't have to stand up " guys huh?  The situation you discribed happened to me a couple of times too.
When i was walking Dragan a jack russel came out of nowhere and bit him in the nose. :-\
The owner came running and said " did you see that? He dared to bite such a big dog!" I was looking at Dragan and saw his nose bleeding from two deep holes and i swear i bitchslapped the owner of the Jack Russel!

Moral of the story is: People need to know how to socialize a dog peroid!
?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 08:51:38 AM »

You think an air horn will also work on drunk guys?   ::)

The when the owner comes over and a) doesn't apologize, and or b) says how nice their dog is so they leave it off leash  I will blast THEM with the air horn.

;D

Video!!  Video it!!
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 09:01:17 AM »
So he was one of those "my dog will win the fight so i don't have to stand up " guys huh?  The situation you discribed happened to me a couple of times too.
When i was walking Dragan a jack russel came out of nowhere and bit him in the nose. :-\
The owner came running and said " did you see that? He dared to bite such a big dog!" I was looking at Dragan and saw his nose bleeding from two deep holes and i swear i bitchslapped the owner of the Jack Russel!

Moral of the story is: People need to know how to socialize a dog peroid!

No, it wasn't his dog, that guy was the neighbor to the dog.  He was watching the whole thing. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 09:10:57 AM »
Try the air horn.

I don't think they cost much...but if you ever had one by your head or pointed at you....you know what it does to you.  Imagine that happening to a dog.  Their hearing is much more sensitive.  I think if he was running towards you that blast may make him stop or run in a different direction.  I think the most important thing is to persuade the dog it's a bad idea coming in your direction & he's not welcome.  He may just have time to assess that there's 3 big dogs, a human with a very load noise, & a little scrapper to bite his ankles.

It may just give him enough time to realize this may not be a fight or situation he wants to encounter.

Plus...it may get the owners attention (which is real important) to call back their animal if he decides to make a second run.

Oh...when you use it....don't use it like a soccer fan or referee with one small 'toot'.  Blast that sucker for a good 4 seconds.

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 09:29:32 AM »
 ;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »
;D

yes!!!  I need a thumper!!    ;D

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 09:46:52 AM »

This is true.  Each individual situation is different, so it becomes an owners judgement call.  And you are right, people do tend to freeze.  

I used to walk all of my dogs at once (5 large breeds at the time).  I quit and switched to no more than 2 at a time after a dog attack occured.   You have to be able to control your own dogs---and 5 leashes with 400 lbs of dog attached can be just too much to control without getting a tangled mess depending on the situation.  

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 10:08:14 AM »

I just let my six ovcharkas take themselves for walks.  they're very independent-minded as it is, so I feel like I'd just be getting in their way if I was there.  So far, no complaints from the neighbors . . . although I seem to have fewer neighbors these days. ???

Flower, here's something you can add to your dog-walking arsenal: bat, tazer, air-horn, bear spray and this

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Dazer-II-repeller-training/dp/B000BIZW7W/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2/104-3730618-6390337

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 10:12:17 AM »
LOL @ Al!   

My dogs would hear that sound too though.  I came across that in my search. 
That'd be good for joggers and bike riders though.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 11:46:47 AM »
flower, why don't you just walk a few of your dogs at a time?

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 11:55:57 AM »

-Hedge

That or train them to walk on a treadmill.   ;)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 12:05:42 PM »
Flower… learn to do a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu style rear choke. I’m serious about this. I know a Pit owner who had to do this on his own dog when he attacked someone else’s dog. It works, it’s pretty easy to do (especially for someone in shape like yourself), there is no permanent damage and you and your dogs will be safe.

I know what you mean about owners who let their dogs bully someone else’s pet without regard for the other persons pet. These people are no different than abusers and should have to answer to the legal system.   
and keep moving!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »

-Hedge

I used to do that Hedgie, first I was doing 1, 1 and 1, and 1, then I did 1, 1 and 2, then I was doing 2 and 2, and then I did 3 and 1 (Tad), and then we all went! 

It is especially exhausting for me on hot days and I felt the dogs were getting shortchanged on their walks when split up.    I was doing the 2 girls and then the 2 boys, but I felt Emmett really didn't like walking with just Tad the squirt.   ::)  He has more fun with the girls.  Taking the 3 big dogs and then Tad by himself would negate the point, and plus he got really upset the last time he was left behind and got an upset tummy.  Addie likes to go with Briona better than with just Emmett, and Briona definitely would not want to go with just Tad.   

It's kind of the doggie dynamics that we have working when we all go together.     

Now you can tell me they don't get jealous or have "feelings" or whatever, but I know the different attitudes they showed depending on who they were walking with.  Of course they all are perfectly happy to be walked separately but that is just too much walk for me.
   :P

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 12:24:28 PM »

I used to do that Hedgie, first I was doing 1, 1 and 1, and 1, then I did 1, 1 and 2, then I was doing 2 and 2, and then I did 3 and 1 (Tad), and then we all went! 

It is especially exhausting for me on hot days and I felt the dogs were getting shortchanged on their walks when split up.    I was doing the 2 girls and then the 2 boys, but I felt Emmett really didn't like walking with just Tad the squirt.   ::)  He has more fun with the girls.  Taking the 3 big dogs and then Tad by himself would negate the point, and plus he got really upset the last time he was left behind and got an upset tummy.  Addie likes to go with Briona better than with just Emmett, and Briona definitely would not want to go with just Tad.   

Now you can tell me they don't get jealous or have "feelings" or whatever, but I know the different attitudes they showed depending on who they were walking with.  Of course they all are perfectly happy to be walked separately but that is just too much walk for me.

5 treadmills, lined up.   ;)  :D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 12:24:47 PM »
That or train them to walk on a treadmill.   ;)

I tried that in the winter because none of them like the cold, but I couldn't get any to get ON the treadmill let alone walk on it.

Do you have one of the special ones made for dogs?

My dogs prefer to lay on the couch or to be out on an excursion.  I'm lucky I can get one to go outside long enough to pee!!  She wants back in the house as soon as she is done!!

I have been making it a point to take them on a few walks when it has been raining out (not lightning or a big down pour) just to prove to her that she won't melt in the rain!   ;D   If I am out there getting wet, they can get wet too!

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2007, 01:21:31 PM »
I tried that in the winter because none of them like the cold, but I couldn't get any to get ON the treadmill let alone walk on it.

Do you have one of the special ones made for dogs?

My dogs prefer to lay on the couch or to be out on an excursion.  I'm lucky I can get one to go outside long enough to pee!!  She wants back in the house as soon as she is done!!

I have been making it a point to take them on a few walks when it has been raining out (not lightning or a big down pour) just to prove to her that she won't melt in the rain!   ;D   If I am out there getting wet, they can get wet too!

I have built two of them for my dogs.  I started with them when I was in veterinary school because I didn't have the time or energy to take my dogs out and they needed exercise.  My staffie tore the first one to pieces.  The second one was modified and a bit stronger.  Now I'm looking for one I can use that is flat---the ones I built were inclined at about 25 degrees, so the dogs were actually climbing uphill.  With two of my dogs having blown out knees, I need to get a motorized one that is on a flat surface (and I can work up to a slight incline) so they don't overstress their knees. 

The first step is to work on just getting the dog to step on the tread.  Then get them to sit next to it with the motor running, then work on putting them on one with the motor on very slow.   if you just put the dog on the tread nad turn it on, most will freak out. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2007, 01:25:10 PM »
I put our Rottie on the tread & he was trying to run & attack the surface at the same time - lol

I've put many dogs on a treadmill & for the most part...most do very well for the first time.  I do know one person that had to put up a "blind" or sheet through the uprights of the console because their dog was more interested in running real fast & jumping through it.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 01:36:18 PM »
  I do know one person that had to put up a "blind" or sheet through the uprights of the console because their dog was more interested in running real fast & jumping through it.

hahaha . . . hopefully they took a video and sent it to one of those tv shows that give you money for funny crap.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 03:49:05 PM »

I am not gonna tell you anything about their feelings.

Rather, I kinda wonder who's the boss around your house? ;)

Don't let them dogs dictate who's going with whom, flowey.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 05:33:10 AM »
  I am the boss, I'm just a very loose boss.   8)

Separating the walks doesn't work for ME that great.  Twice as long for me and the dogs walks end up being shorter for them.  With all 4 together we can go longer and they can get walked twice a day some days too.  If I have to I carry Tad part of the way if he starts lagging, but he usually doesn't.

I was walking Tad and Emmett together before also because of Emmett's knee, I didn't want him going for as long of walks so I walked him with Tad for shorter walks.  I have had him on a new joint sup which seems to be doing great and he can go for the longer walks now.  If that becomes an issue again in the future I will walk him separately so the others can go longer.