Author Topic: Why are so many baseball players obese?  (Read 5780 times)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: Why are so many baseball players obese?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2007, 02:55:56 PM »
i vote for curling.

Curling and NASCAR = not sports

The Coach

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2007, 02:58:30 PM »
baseball is not a sport.

Sure........whatever you say ::)

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2007, 03:05:02 PM »
Why? They are probably the worst conditioned athletes in the 4 major sports..

Pussy injuries by running to first base. Don't these guys workout, eat right and do cardio in the off season? A lot of them are in horrible shape.

Many nfl linemen are overweight, but well conditioned. They can actually move.  :-\

A-Rod is destroying the record books.. Probably nothing to do with roids, but more so with him staying in shape and working hard.

camel, you shouldnt talk, your waistsize was huge in those pics, are you dieting and doing cardio my friend?

garraeth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2007, 03:27:33 PM »
Sure........whatever you say ::)
baseball is not a sport.

The Coach

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 03:46:51 PM »
baseball is not a sport.

Hahahaha..........anothe r one who thinks he can hit a baseball at 95mph, go from home to first in 3 secs, field a ground ball or line drive after someone HIT the 95mph fastball........laterall y!!

Hey Garreth, I have a clients who lift weights and train just as hard as anyone you know and they arn't involved in sports or are athletes, so I really need to know your point!

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »
Hahahaha..........another one who thinks he can hit a baseball at 95mph, go from home to first in 3 secs, field a ground ball or line drive after someone HIT the 95mph fastball........laterall y!!

Hey Garreth, I have a clients who lift weights and train just as hard as anyone you know and they arn't involved in sports or are athletes, so I really need to know your point!

Since Mexicans are horrible athletes, yet so many of them can play baseball, how can you really consider it a sport? ;)
E

The Coach

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007, 04:06:31 PM »
Since Mexicans are horrible athletes, yet so many of them can play baseball, how can you really consider it a sport? ;)

Where did you get the idea that Mexicans were horrible athletes? Besides, most latin players are from the Dominican Republic!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2007, 04:06:45 PM »
They are slobs in general, because:

-The "sport" requires athleticism only in very short bursts, and demands no endurance whatsoever.

-Most of these guys are "athletes" only on the margin, good basically at playing baseball and not much else.

-Once you're established in MLB, it's a lot less competitive than other sports. A nice easy lifestyle.

The Coach

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2007, 04:08:05 PM »

-The "sport" doesn't require athleticism most of the time.

-Most of these guys are "athletes" only on the margin, good basically at playing baseball and not much else.

Son of a bitch...........where do you people come up with this shit >:(?????????

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2007, 04:09:49 PM »
Son of a bitch...........where do you people come up with this shit >:(?????????

Stop being defensive, it's obvious to even kids watching this "sport". If baseball's a sport so is bowling.

The Coach

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »

Yes, that why thay make millions................ ..they're good at what they do, and your're good at what you do (whatever that may be)!

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2007, 04:16:16 PM »
Where did you get the idea that Mexicans were horrible athletes? Besides, most latin players are from the Dominican Republic!

Well, they look Mexican to me, but I don't really watch Baseball, too boring.
E

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2007, 04:20:03 PM »
Yes, that why thay make millions................ ..they're good at what they do, and your're good at what you do (whatever that may be)!

hes a brut on the bolex.

The Coach

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »

-Once you're established in MLB, it's a lot less competitive than other sports. A nice easy lifestyle.

Less competitive?? World Series, playoffs, wildcards??????????

A nice easy lifestyle? Ok, the moneys great, but your contract depends on how a player performs, it's called incentive, no ones job is secure......example: after 6 years as a catcher with the angels, Jose Molina was traded to the Yankees after a game last week withing 20 mins after the game ended, he was on a plane the next day backing up Jorge Posada in the following game......now, not knowing where you might end up at the next day is not what I call "a nice easy lifestyle" I call it stress, because if you can't perform......you're gone!!

garraeth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2007, 04:22:15 PM »
Well, they look Mexican to me, but I don't really watch Baseball, too boring.
Mexicans can't be athletes because they are best at making pottery while wearing agave leaves with Aztec war paint and eating worms from bottles.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2007, 04:24:28 PM »
Mexicans can't be athletes because they are best at making pottery while wearing agave leaves with Aztec war paint and eating worms from bottles.

They do a good job on my lawn as well. Plus, if you ever want a good bag of Oranges, they are usually selling them by the freeway. Just never really thought of them as athletes. Wonder how many track and field records are owned by Beaners?
E

garraeth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2007, 04:25:32 PM »
They do a good job on my lawn as well. Plus, if you ever want a good bag of Oranges, they are usually selling them by the freeway. Just never really thought of them as athletes. Wonder how many track and field records are owned by Beaners?
High jump and polevault especially.

SWOLETRAIN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2007, 04:32:09 PM »
NCAA and minor league is filled with steroid users. When they make it to mlb level, the testing is out of controll so the user has to slow down or stop. Then you get fattys, nevertheless still remarkable athletes.
-

Frauhorn

• Getbig II
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2007, 05:00:34 PM »
Quote from: Camel  Jockey link=topic=161111.msg2265472#msg2265472
Cricket bowlers have been clocked at 108 mph though, but cricketers use a wider bat.
[/quote
fyi
in cricket, the fastest ever recorded delivery is 100.2 mph. this type of speed is quite rare.
90 mph is the standard benchmark for "fast" bowling

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »
John Kruk made a famous quote when a female reporter in the locker-room asked a horribly fat and naked Kruk why he was smoking a cigarette, his response "Lady im a ball player not an athlete"

Calm down Coach  ::)

garraeth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2007, 05:44:46 PM »
John Kruk made a famous quote when a female reporter in the locker-room asked a horribly fat and naked Kruk why he was smoking a cigarette, his response "Lady im a ball player not an athlete"

Calm down Coach  ::)
Is John Kruk Mexican?

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2007, 05:56:22 PM »

-The "sport" requires athleticism only in very short bursts, and demands no endurance whatsoever.

everyone that ive ever met that hasnt liked baseball is because they sucked at it as a kid.. basketball -you can pass the ball away.. baseball -when you step up to the plate theres nowhere to go.

no endurance? they play 162 games a year.. they'll play a game in ny starting at 7pm,, then be in california 10 hours later for a day game.

turn on the game on espn,, tell how many guys are out of shape -let alone obese.

take your best baseball player, your best basketball player, and your best football player.. could a-rod catch a football and run with it -yes.. could a-rod make a free throw shot -yes.. could anyone from any other sport make a diving catch on a 120mph hit down the 3rd base line? no.. could anyone from anyother sport walk up to the plate and hit a 95 mph mariano rivera cutter? no. could anyone from any other sport strike out a-rod? no

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2007, 05:59:10 PM »
everyone that ive ever met that hasnt liked baseball is because they sucked at it as a kid.. basketball -you can pass the ball away.. baseball -when you step up to the plate theres nowhere to go.

no endurance? they play 162 games a year.. they'll play a game in ny starting at 7pm,, then be in california 10 hours later for a day game.

turn on the game on espn,, tell how many guys are out of shape -let alone obese.

take your best baseball player, your best basketball player, and your best football player.. could a-rod catch a football and run with it -yes.. could a-rod make a free throw shot -yes.. could anyone from any other sport make a diving catch on a 120mph hit down the 3rd base line? no.. could anyone from anyother sport walk up to the plate and hit a 95 mph mariano rivera cutter? no. could anyone from any other sport strike out a-rod? no

You think A-Rod could block Ray Lewis? Stand in the pocket and find a receiver 40 yards down the field?
E

garraeth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2007, 06:05:59 PM »

blanket statement...I was awesome at bball when a kid - could hit ANYTHING - best eye-hand coordination on the team...came from years of hard-core video gaming.

But it's still boring as watching cheese mold in the fridge... ::)

You must be mexican.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2007, 06:08:37 PM »

camel, you shouldnt talk, your waistsize was huge in those pics, are you dieting and doing cardio my friend?

I'm not a pro athlete being payed millions.

I'm drinking too much to drop down.. Stuck at around 199-202 these days depending on water. Gotta lay off the beer.