Author Topic: Iced Coffee  (Read 18862 times)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Iced Coffee
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 12:57:39 PM »
A latte is espresso and milk. 

An americano is espresso and water. 

I must have developed a tolerance for caffeine b/c it never gives me the jitters.  Either that, or it just offsets my lack of energy while I am dieting.

:)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 01:06:31 PM »

this was a medium at it was $1.62 total. 
that's not bad, Dunkin' Donuts looks like they're trying to compete with Starbucks as far as coffee goes, i've been wanting to try one of their coffees out for awhile now.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 01:22:15 PM »
Cold coffee and chocolate protein powder is really yummy too.    :)

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 01:23:27 PM »
Cold coffee and chocolate protein powder is really yummy too.    :)
Mocha mmmmmm
:D Weee

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 05:24:19 AM »
I have a whole case of Starbucks beans in my basement and I dont own a grinder or drink much coffee, I'm more of an iced tea kinda guy
X

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 05:39:32 AM »
I have a whole case of Starbucks beans in my basement and I dont own a grinder or drink much coffee, I'm more of an iced tea kinda guy
Here...lemme give you my address...  ;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2007, 07:37:44 AM »
Starbucks increases the prices for their coffee today by $0.09.   >:(

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2007, 07:48:27 AM »

THOSE BASTARDS!!!  >:(

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 10:21:52 AM »
I wonder if the 7yr olds one the plantations in Columbia are getting a raise as well? :-\

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 05:30:17 AM »
I wonder if the 7yr olds one the plantations in Columbia are getting a raise as well? :-\
Probably not. >:(

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 05:51:59 AM »
I made my own iced coffee with some carob powder and froze some coffee ice cubes too.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 06:17:20 AM »
I made my own iced coffee with some carob powder and froze some coffee ice cubes too.

Mmmm, can ya bring me over a glass?  ;D

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 06:21:14 AM »

Starbucks raises prices again
By Melissa Allison
(seattletimes.nwsource.co m)

Seattle Times business reporter

Next week, caffeine addicts will pay an average 9 cents more for a cup of coffee at Starbucks, partly because of the rising price of the milk and whipped cream.

The increase was unexpected, given how infrequently the Seattle chain has raised prices. The last increase, which averaged a nickel, came less than 10 months ago.

Before that, Starbucks hadn't raised prices since an 11-cent increase in 2004.

The company cited rising prices "inside the supply chain," including higher dairy, fuel and energy expenses.

Dairy costs, in particular, have hurt several of the nation's largest food companies in recent months.

Starbucks said last month it would have trouble reaching the high end of an 87- to 89-cent-per share profit range for fiscal 2007, largely because of rising milk costs.

Chocolate giant Hershey and milk processor and distributor Dean Foods have lowered their earnings guidance because of rocketing milk prices.

Starbucks' price increase goes into effect next Tuesday. While some customers shrugged at it, others bristled.

"If they raise it, I'm not going to go there, even if it's only 9 cents," said Mindy Albert of Wallingford.

It's not the money so much as the idea of two price increases in a row, she said. With Starbucks' buying power, "you'd think they'd be able to keep costs down."

The price increases will vary by region and drink. They apply only to brewed coffee and other beverages that baristas make behind the counter, and not to drinks sold in bottles.

Starbucks coffee continues to be cheaper than that of many independent coffee chains. A 12-ounce latte at Seattle's Espresso Vivace costs $2.95, compared with $2.45 at a downtown Seattle Starbucks.

Vivace hasn't raised its latte prices in a couple years, said manager Brian Fairbrother.

But the dairy situation is serious, he said.

"We will be watching our numbers closely, because it is real, it is up and it's a big part of our expense."

Starbucks doesn't disclose how much milk it buys for the lattes, Frappuccinos and other milk-heavy drinks it serves.

Dairy farmers received a minimum of $1.79 a gallon for drinkable milk in July, up 68 percent from December based on minimum prices set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Experts cite the higher price of feed and higher demand for milk.

Consumers have seen the impact at the grocery-store level. Whole milk cost about $3.80 a gallon in July, up 25 cents from June and 60 cents from December, according to a survey by an Agriculture Department agency.

Dairy farmers don't see most of the increase, said Amanda St. Pierre, a Vermont dairy farmer and member of Dairy Farmers Working Together, a nonprofit that wants dairy-price stability.

Eight years ago, dairy farmers received about 50 percent of the retail price of milk. Now they get less than 30 percent, St. Pierre said.

Retailers, including Starbucks, don't need to raise prices for short-term fluctuations in their dairy costs, she said. "When we get less for our milk, your prices don't go down," St. Pierre said.

This summer, Starbucks began switching the standard milk it uses in all its U.S. and Canadian stores from whole to reduced fat.

Because 2 percent milk costs less — about 10 cents a gallon less at retail — the switch could save Starbucks a lot of money. Officials will not say how much.

Starbucks shares rose 47 cents to $28.17 Monday. The price increase was announced after the stock market closed; shares fell a penny in after-hours trading.

Shares have traded between $25.22 and $40.01 over the past year. They are down 20 percent this year, clobbered partly by investors' worries about profit margins and Starbucks' warning that it might not reach the upper end of its annual profit target.

Nicole Miller Regan, an analyst at Piper Jaffray, which makes a market in Starbucks stock, called the price increase "a defensive measure."

"This is offsetting dairy, which is sky high."

R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 06:39:42 AM »
Mmmm, can ya bring me over a glass?  ;D

If I had extra!!!    ;D   They say to not keep the coffee much longer than 8 hours for maximum freshness.   :(

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2007, 06:40:44 AM »

You can buy "fair trade" coffee. 

Starbucks is supposedly fair trade:

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/fairtrade.asp

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2007, 06:45:53 AM »
If I had extra!!!    ;D   They say to not keep the coffee much longer than 8 hours for maximum freshness.   :(
I'm only 3 hours away.  :D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2007, 07:29:52 AM »
Regardless of the price increase, I will continue to buy it because i am addicted to it like crack.   ;D

Have you seen the cold brew system?

www.toddycoffee.com

It's great.  Cold brewing prevents the acids in the coffee from being released, so the result is much smoother and easier on the stomach.  The cold brew process takes 12 hours, and you are left with a pitcher of super concentrated coffee that can stay in your fridge for a week or more and can be used to make iced coffee, hot coffee, espresso, lattes, whatever...just depends on how much water and milk you add to it.

It's my favorite!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 07:43:20 AM »
Regardless of the price increase, I will continue to buy it because i am addicted to it like crack.   

see Flower!  >:(
R

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 07:49:09 AM »
Regardless of the price increase, I will continue to buy it because i am addicted to it like crack.   ;D
It's my favorite!

CRACK IS WHACK! 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2007, 08:18:13 AM »
see Flower!  >:(

what?       >:(

Thanks Rip for the info on the Toddy.  I saw that the other day when I was searching for an iced coffee maker.  I wasn't sure what was so different about it, but now I know!   I think I will be getting one.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2007, 08:24:02 AM »
what if I get addicted :-[ 

Regardless of the price increase, I will continue to buy it because i am addicted to it like crack.   ;D

>:( !
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2007, 08:27:02 AM »
or you can buy just the "concentrate" and add water:

http://coolbrew.com/

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2007, 08:54:32 AM »
or you can buy just the "concentrate" and add water:

http://coolbrew.com/

Nice...that's exactly what the toddy will make for you. 
You won't believe how much better it tastes than hot brew coffee. 

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2007, 09:27:36 AM »
 :-[  feeling a little left out here.  I want some.

Original Sin

• Getbig IV
  • You fucking disappoint me!
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2007, 09:01:35 AM »
I bought one of these, you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead, jittery hands.  I drink a pot of coffee a day, everyday.  I LOVE the stuff, but I hate the flavour of Starbuck's coffee.
So as a good Canadian I buy coffee from Timmy Ho's (Tim Hortons).

Cuisinart Grind & Brew DGB-500 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker
Coffee Maker - Cup Capacity: 12 Cups - Programmable - With Auto Shut-Off Function - With Built In Coffee Grinder -

Just Bad Bad Blood!