Author Topic: Do not talk to me about what I'm eating!  (Read 6375 times)

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
Do not talk to me about what I'm eating!
« on: August 13, 2007, 02:33:02 PM »
Is it me, or do people who lift get this all the time:
"Hey, what's that you're eating...looks good."
"Gotta get that protein."
"Are you eating...again?"
to friend..."This guy eats all the time."

A few years of these comments...now it's getting to be a bit much.  Every time I'm somewhere new for any period of time, people see me eat pretty often and they can't help but to let me know they notice.  I need a shirt that says, "Yes, I eat a lot.  Don't look at my food, ask me what I'm eating, or talk to me about lifting."

Any good stories on this?
N

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
Re: Do not talk to me about what I'm eating!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:37:37 PM »
I assume everyone here can relate.

Eat a healthy, BBing diet and people will complain and comment.
Eat shit and no one will notice.

funny how that works.

At classes I'll eat chicken and vegetables while others eat pizza and candy, yet I get the stares.

I understand why. But it's not rational.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 02:38:18 PM »
Is it me, or do people who lift get this all the time:
"Hey, what's that you're eating...looks good."
"Gotta get that protein."
"Are you eating...again?"
to friend..."This guy eats all the time."

A few years of these comments...now it's getting to be a bit much.  Every time I'm somewhere new for any period of time, people see me eat pretty often and they can't help but to let me know they notice.  I need a shirt that says, "Yes, I eat a lot.  Don't look at my food, ask me what I'm eating, or talk to me about lifting."

Any good stories on this?

Ask them if you eat so much then why is their Bodyfat so much higher than yours.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 02:39:20 PM »
Haha. I have a similar one. In my workplace I usually get a measuring jug and put a pint of milk in it and mix in some protein powder and slurp away at it at my desk. When people see me stirring up my drink they say "Is that your energy drink?" and I say "no, it's protein".

Five years later the same people are asking the same question "do you drink that for energy?" and I say "no, fuck off, it's protein".

What don't people understand about the word "protein" and that it's not a source of energy?

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 02:42:48 PM »
Haha. I have a similar one. In my workplace I usually get a measuring jug and put a pint of milk in it and mix in some protein powder and slurp away at it at my desk. When people see me stirring up my drink they say "Is that your energy drink?" and I say "no, it's protein".

Five years later the same people are asking the same question "do you drink that for energy?" and I say "no, fuck off, it's protein".

What don't people understand about the word "protein" and that it's not a source of energy?

Do you drink that for energy?

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 02:44:09 PM »
Sheer brilliance.
haha, I'm glad others feel my pain.  Let's hear more. ;D
N

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 02:49:14 PM »
I assume everyone here can relate.

funny how that works.

At classes I'll eat chicken and vegetables while others eat pizza and candy, yet I get the stares.

I understand why. But it's not rational.

no you are irrational, and have been suckered by Supplement company propaganda.  BBing diets are not healthy, you would be healthier and live longer eating less even if it was Pizza and candy.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 02:52:22 PM »
no you are irrational, and have been suckered by Supplement company propaganda.  BBing diets are not healthy, you would be healthier and live longer eating less even if it was Pizza and candy.

That depends on the definition.

My diet now is LOTS of lean meat (chicken, tuna)
TONS of fibrous veggies of all sorts (tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, etc)
skimmed milk
parboiled brown rice
Healthy fats from olive oil, fish, fish oil capsules, walnuts, etc
some eggs
1-2 multivitamin and mineral pills daily
zinc

I don't drink alcohol anymore and never eat fast foods and steer away from junk whenever I can and very rarely touch candy.

This diet is as healthy as can be.

and it IS a bodybuilding diet, albeit a very tough one if one's metabolism is really high.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »
Also, the whole "eat less - live longer" may be interesting from an academic, scientific point of view - not for us.

You're still gonna die from cancer (1/3), cardiovascular diseases (1/3) and all the other crap.

And it's not proven on humans yet.'

Croatch, I have lots of small stories, hold on 5 minutes.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 02:56:45 PM »
That depends on the definition.

My diet now is LOTS of lean meat (chicken, tuna)
TONS of fibrous veggies of all sorts (tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, etc)
skimmed milk
parboiled brown rice
Healthy fats from olive oil, fish, fish oil capsules, walnuts, etc
some eggs
1-2 multivitamin and mineral pills daily
zinc

I don't drink alcohol anymore and never eat fast foods and steer away from junk whenever I can and very rarely touch candy.

This diet is as healthy as can be.

and it IS a bodybuilding diet, albeit a very tough one if one's metabolism is really high.

No it is not healthy, it is likely way too many calories to promote longevity or to allow you to avoid the ravages of aging.  Caloric restriction is optimal.

Also, the whole "eat less - live longer" may be interesting from an academic, scientific point of view - not for us.

You're still gonna die from cancer (1/3), cardiovascular diseases (1/3) and all the other crap.

And it's not proven on humans yet.'

Croatch, I have lots of small stories, hold on 5 minutes.

There is more scientific data suggesting the health benefits of caloric restriction than supporting any other dietary protocol.  If this doesn't interest you and you would rather stake your health on ad copy from bodybuilding magazines, well more power to you.

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 02:57:27 PM »

is that what you really tell em, "bigJ"? ::)

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 03:00:36 PM »
I'm seriously considering inventing some lie about my blood sugar, dictating a strict diet if I am training.

Because all the crap I've had to hear from family, strangers and to a lesser degree, friends, gets tiresome very quickly.

Prime example: I was visiting my dad's, and my brother was there. This was when I had just begun training. I was preparing some supper, cooking lots of pasta and preparing some minced beef. Also drinking half a gallon of milk during the day.

He kept commenting. "Why are you eating all that, it's wrong. It's a waste. Don't eat so much. Drink water instead.". He went on like a broken record for a few minutes, repeating the same content yet in many different ways.

Ironically, my brother has started training as well, and just recently I visited him and we stood in the kitchen where he, after a workout, was drinking milk, cooking pasta and preparing vast quantities chicken.

The irony. I of course pointed this out to him with some laughter. "see how full of bullshit you were"

Not long ago, during vacationing to Greece, I was eating tuna and carrots etc (dieting), and my sister commented on my eating habbits for the manieth time. I finally burst out how full of shit she was and how she was appearently just trying to sabotage my efforts.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 03:04:39 PM »
No it is not healthy, it is likely way too many calories to promote longevity or to allow you to avoid the ravages of aging.  Caloric restriction is optimal.

There is more scientific data suggesting the health benefits of caloric restriction than supporting any other dietary protocol.  If this doesn't interest you and you would rather stake your health on ad copy from bodybuilding magazines, well more power to you.

Listen, I don't personally doubt that this may be true - caloric restriction for longevity.

But what about the PRACTICAL APPLICATION of this approach?
You are STILL going to die from all the other stuff everyone else is.

Your definition of "healthy" is slightly absurd.

A diet as the above is optimal for avoiding cardiovascular diease, as it is very low in sat. fats for one, and full of healthy fats.
Also, primary carb source fibrous veggies - combats cancer since it's loaded with anti-oxidants and phytonutrients.
Also, stabile blood sugar.

Not to mention the possible side effects of the caloric restriction on bone strength as you age. 1/3 of women develop osteoporosis already as is. Scientists have also argued that such a widespread caloric restriction could worsen that figure.

Even so, your definiton of healthy is pretty subjective.

Healthy is also more than living to be 80 years instead of 77.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 03:08:34 PM »

He kept commenting. "Why are you eating all that, it's wrong. It's a waste. Don't eat so much. Drink water instead.". He went on like a broken record for a few minutes, repeating the same content yet in many different ways.

He was right and you were wrong.  Too bad he got suckered into the BBing con as well.  I bet both of you are looking plumper than Jugs cover models.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 03:10:02 PM »
He was right and you were wrong.  Too bad he got suckered into the BBing con as well.  I bet both of you are looking plumper than Jugs cover models.

Argue better or expect no reply.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 03:10:42 PM »
Listen, I don't personally doubt that this may be true - caloric restriction for longevity.

But what about the PRACTICAL APPLICATION of this approach?
You are STILL going to die from all the other stuff everyone else is.

Your definition of "healthy" is slightly absurd.

A diet as the above is optimal for avoiding cardiovascular diease, as it is very low in sat. fats for one, and full of healthy fats.
Also, primary carb source fibrous veggies - combats cancer since it's loaded with anti-oxidants and phytonutrients.
Also, stabile blood sugar.

Not to mention the possible side effects of the caloric restriction on bone strength as you age. 1/3 of women develop osteoporosis already as is. Scientists have also argued that such a widespread caloric restriction could worsen that figure.

Even so, your definiton of healthy is pretty subjective.

Healthy is also more than living to be 80 years instead of 77.

Do some research Caloric Restriction will extend your life expectancy by 20 or 30 years will help you avoid the effects of aging like MUSCLE LOSS, frailty and disease.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »
Argue better or expect no reply.

improve your diet or expect to die young.

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 03:14:58 PM »
no

you're still gonna die from the same stuff everyone else is, even if you manage to live a tad longer.

and then there's the feeling of hunger.

And give me a break. Stop your sensationalism, it's not founded in logic, science, facts or reasonable perspective or rational assumptions.

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 03:21:43 PM »
I'm seriously considering inventing some lie about my blood sugar, dictating a strict diet if I am training.

Because all the crap I've had to hear from family, strangers and to a lesser degree, friends, gets tiresome very quickly.

Prime example: I was visiting my dad's, and my brother was there. This was when I had just begun training. I was preparing some supper, cooking lots of pasta and preparing some minced beef. Also drinking half a gallon of milk during the day.

Ironically, my brother has started training as well, and just recently I visited him and we stood in the kitchen where he, after a workout, was drinking milk, cooking pasta and preparing vast quantities chicken.

The irony. I of course pointed this out to him with some laughter. "see how full of bullshit you were"

Not long ago, during vacationing to Greece, I was eating tuna and carrots etc (dieting), and my sister commented on my eating habbits for the manieth time. I finally burst out how full of shit she was and how she was appearently just trying to sabotage my efforts.

your philosophy seems to be "eat well, stay fit, die anyway".... 

1- cooking food above 118 degrees pretty much kills any nutritional value there was anyway
2- eating that much protein for years and years is killing your kidneys
3- people are going to die anyway "from something", but the years they do live can be better..
(healthy person lives to be 75, or an AIDS patient lives to be 75)

your father was simply just saying from common sense "drinking a fucking gallon of milk" is retarded

bodybuilding is SHIT and the nutrition guidelines are shit. how many HEALTHY bodybuilders do u know?

boonstack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 03:22:42 PM »
improve your diet or expect to die young.
]

thank you bro.. these idiots just dont get it

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 03:25:06 PM »
no

you're still gonna die from the same stuff everyone else is, even if you manage to live a tad longer.

and then there's the feeling of hunger.

And give me a break. Stop your sensationalism, it's not founded in logic, science, facts or reasonable perspective or rational assumptions.

there's nothing sensational about my claims.  They are supported by research.  When I said do some research it wasn't rhetoric.  I really mean take the time to read the literature or at least popular journalism covering these subjects.  We're talking about your life here, do you really want to trust it to Bodybuilding supplement companies whose only interest is in selling you product?

I might end up dying eventually but while I'm alive I will have a higher quality of life and be able to remain active and alert to a very old age while you and other big eaters will be crippled by disease.

Also you should realize that living an extra 20 years could mean the difference between indefinite life extension enabled by advancing technology and missing the boat so to speak.

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 03:39:49 PM »
#

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »
Eating pussy?

Haha!

Makes me think of that Carl's Jr. commercial......."Don't bother me, I'm eating".
HAHA, RON.....

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »

your philosophy seems to be "eat well, stay fit, die anyway".... 

1- cooking food above 118 degrees pretty much kills any nutritional value there was anyway
2- eating that much protein for years and years is killing your kidneys
3- people are going to die anyway "from something", but the years they do live can be better..
(healthy person lives to be 75, or an AIDS patient lives to be 75)

your father was simply just saying from common sense "drinking a fucking gallon of milk" is retarded

bodybuilding is SHIT and the nutrition guidelines are shit. how many HEALTHY bodybuilders do u know?
hahahahaha, cooking food at 118 degrees kills any nutritional value now, hahahaaaaaaa, where do these clowns come up with this shit?

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 04:08:14 PM »
As far as longevity goes, what's the point of living past say.. 85, you're senile, frail, half your organs don't work properly, can't do anything on your own, most likely need help going to the bathroom, if you slip and fall you'll break half your bones... I wouldn't want to live that long, there's a certain age at which the cons outweighs the pro's.