Author Topic: Reasons for an underdeveloped chest  (Read 4831 times)

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
Reasons for an underdeveloped chest
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:03:11 PM »
Since I began lifting about 5 years ago I always felt my chest was lagging behind the rest of my body.  Over the past two years Ive made a lot of progress as far as strength in my chest movements but have not seen much of an improvement in the fullness of my chest.  Ive tried everything that I can think of and now Im just seeking some outside advice.  I started posting my workouts in the training logs recently under "B's Loggg."  This is a decent sampling of what my workouts have been over the past couple years.  One last comment.  I dont know why but I was brainstorming while I was in the shower today about what my problem could be.  I thought to myself I have pretty much always started my week with Chest after a day or two off.  I cant remember if I ever had my Chest workouts positioned in my split so that I had the days off immediately following my chest day.  In other words Im almost always in the gym following my chest day.  Could this inhibit proper recovery?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Reasons for an underdeveloped chest
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:12:23 PM »
Chicks talking about chest workouts is hot...

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=164179.0

Same question as you:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=157638.0

More suggestions:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=149356.0

there is more out there... try a search

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:43:55 PM »
too many guys get all paranoid and caught up with this muscle's workout interfering with that muscle, training this muscle after a day of rest, before a day of rest and on and on and on, problem is that you get to the point where you're just overthinking it, just don't over rely on too many pressing movements, too low a rep scheme, try out different rep patterns and ADD IN DB AND MACHINE FLYES, too many people these days are caught up in the whole Ronnie Coleman type of chest training doing all heavy pressing movements but heavy flyes are at least as important if not more so because they train the pecs in the way they were designed to work by drawing the hands in and across your torso, do two pressing movements and two flye movements and like Pumpster always says experiment with different rep ranges and spend a lot of time in that 8-12 rep range, i really like 6's and 8's too.

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Chicks talking about chest workouts is hot...

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=164179.0

Same question as you:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=157638.0

More suggestions:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=149356.0

there is more out there... try a search

yeah thanks...I did nothing but searches for the first three months on this site before ever making a post. Im just trying to get some feedback more specific to me.  Everyone is different. Advice for one person wont work for others.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 06:04:27 PM »
yeah thanks...I did nothing but searches for the first three months on this site before ever making a post. Im just trying to get some feedback more specific to me.  Everyone is different. Advice for one person wont work for others.

then i agree with SF, start your chest workout with dumbbell flies... i know what you're thinking: "that will reduce my bench press!!!"

who cares... if you've never tried it, do it.

it's like that seinfeld episode where george has the chicken salad instead of tuna...

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »
too many guys get all paranoid and caught up with this muscle's workout interfering with that muscle, training this muscle after a day of rest, before a day of rest and on and on and on, problem is that you get to the point where you're just overthinking it, just don't over rely on too many pressing movements, too low a rep scheme, try out different rep patterns and ADD IN DB AND MACHINE FLYES, too many people these days are caught up in the whole Ronnie Coleman type of chest training doing all heavy pressing movements but heavy flyes are at least as important if not more so because they train the pecs in the way they were designed to work by drawing the hands in and across your torso, do two pressing movements and two flye movements and like Pumpster always says experiment with different rep ranges and spend a lot of time in that 8-12 rep range, i really like 6's and 8's too.

Yeah Ive actually never been caught up too much on my split and rest and all of that until just this morning when that thought popped into my head.  I was thinking maybe I should be concerned but I guess not.  In the past I have incorporated a lot of heavy flyes but have been off of them for a few weeks now.  Ive been doing dips in place of them lately and Im not sure I love the change.  Ill probably go back to the flyes next week.  But thanx for taking the time to give me some advice!  

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 06:08:47 PM »

then i agree with SF, start your chest workout with dumbbell flies... i know what you're thinking: "that will reduce my bench press!!!"

who cares... if you've never tried it, do it.

it's like that seinfeld episode where george has the chicken salad instead of tuna...

I have used a lot of the pre-exhaust princple in the past.  I loved the feel of it.  Id use it for a couple months off and on.  I didnt think it should be something you use all the time.  Would you suggest using this on a permanent basis?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 03:10:50 AM »
nothing is permamnent... try it seriously for 3-6 months... if it works keep it until it stops working  :)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 07:55:07 AM »
whats your chest routine like
Z

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 06:38:24 AM »
How much do you bench?  You might find your answer right there.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 06:43:32 AM »

QTF! I didn't actually start looking like I had a chest until I was rep'n the mid 300's easily. Sucks to hear that unless you're 5'5 and shredded.

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 06:11:03 PM »
Try using the pec deck first, and really squeze the crap outa your chest, than go to bench, works like a charm ;) Use the machine that you can also do rear delts on, not the buterfly machine, to much stres on shoulders.

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 06:35:06 PM »
whats your chest routine like

like I said earlier Ive been posting my workouts in the Training Logs sections under "B's Loggg."  Lately Ive been hittting 315 for 5 ish reps.  About 2 months ago I got 365 for 4 reps which Id say is my personal best. Obviously nothing impressive but my chest doesnt look like it should IMO.

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 06:39:55 PM »
If you actually bench that much, you should have a pretty impressive upper body. 

I briefly looked at your log - your squat seems very low compared to your bench.

How much do you weigh, and how tall are you?

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 06:51:33 PM »
Switch up your exercises.. do different exercises each workout.  Do different angles like flat and incline bench/flys.  I also like adding in pushups in my chest routine.  Make sure your eating too.  You wont make any gains without the right nutrition.

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 07:47:54 PM »
If you actually bench that much, you should have a pretty impressive upper body. 

I briefly looked at your log - your squat seems very low compared to your bench.

Yes I actually make these lifts.  Yes my squat numbers are super low.  I only started squating again about 3 weeks ago.  I was told by a doctor to take considerable time away from squats.  A few of my vertebrae had become compressed, not having the proper spacing. It was causing significant pain.  It turned into about 8 months without squating to get everythng back to normal.  So Im squating again and my numbers suck.  I could care less...Im pain free.

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 07:51:01 PM »
oh and Im 6'2" 240.  Not sure of the %bf. 

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 08:06:20 PM »

why would I lie about my bench yet still post shitty squats numbers....haha.  Im not being a dick just thought it was funny.

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 05:14:40 AM »
I don't know my bodyfat, but I know that I AM fat.  Are you?

If not, I think some specialization might be a good idea.  The main change I would make is to switch to dumbells for pressing - If you can bench that much but have an unimpressive chest, you are benching with your triceps.  This isn't a bad thing, mind you, and I wouldn't try to change it.  Instead, change to another main lift.

Anything where your arm crosses your chest will help.  Flyes, crossovers, whatever you like. 

Make sure your nutrition is on - you won't improve anything if you are not eating properly.

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 03:43:56 PM »
I don't know my bodyfat, but I know that I AM fat.  Are you?

If not, I think some specialization might be a good idea.  The main change I would make is to switch to dumbells for pressing - If you can bench that much but have an unimpressive chest, you are benching with your triceps.  This isn't a bad thing, mind you, and I wouldn't try to change it.  Instead, change to another main lift.

Anything where your arm crosses your chest will help.  Flyes, crossovers, whatever you like. 

Make sure your nutrition is on - you won't improve anything if you are not eating properly.

I already incorporate a lot of DB work.  When I do Flat DB presses my last set will make use of up to 125 lbs DB's and DB Flyes with 75s.  And no I am not fat.  I wouldnt call myself shredded at all but "tits" covering my chest isn't my problem.  The middle of my chest doesn't seem to want to fill it,especially around the bottom half of my chest.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
I already incorporate a lot of DB work.  When I do Flat DB presses my last set will make use of up to 125 lbs DB's and DB Flyes with 75s.  And no I am not fat.  I wouldnt call myself shredded at all but "tits" covering my chest isn't my problem.  The middle of my chest doesn't seem to want to fill it,especially around the bottom half of my chest.

after reading all your posts i have one more question: how long have you been lifting?  for some people it can take years for certain bodyparts to come into their own.

do you have a gym diary?  have you tried switching to bery high reps (15-25) for a month or more on all chest exercises/sets?

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »
after reading all your posts i have one more question: how long have you been lifting?  for some people it can take years for certain bodyparts to come into their own.

do you have a gym diary?  have you tried switching to bery high reps (15-25) for a month or more on all chest exercises/sets?

Ive been lifting for about 6 or 7 years now.  No Ive never tried 15-25 reps.  Ive used a 12-15 rep range a lot.  Never heard of using anything higher than that.  I guess I could give that a try.  Would you suggest your first set at 25 reps and work your way down to 15 reps by my last set? Any suggestions how to work that?  As far as the gym diary what you see on my posts in my log section is about all I have.  Ive always kept track of things in my head.  I know what everyone will say "your memory wont serve you very well."  Well I can easily remember every weight and rep count for at least a week. Oh well.  Thanks!

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 07:10:20 PM »

That's more genetics than anything else.

Sounds to me like you have everything down.  Keep at it.  If you are getting bigger and getting stronger, your chest will catch up.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 07:16:37 PM »
Ive been lifting for about 6 or 7 years now.  No Ive never tried 15-25 reps.  Ive used a 12-15 rep range a lot.  Never heard of using anything higher than that.  I guess I could give that a try.  Would you suggest your first set at 25 reps and work your way down to 15 reps by my last set? Any suggestions how to work that?  As far as the gym diary what you see on my posts in my log section is about all I have.  Ive always kept track of things in my head.  I know what everyone will say "your memory wont serve you very well."  Well I can easily remember every weight and rep count for at least a week. Oh well.  Thanks!

i'm not suggesting that you do anything in particular... but what if you stopped pressing for 2 months... only do fly and machine fly movements, with maybe 4 sets of pressing at the end of your chest workout, start with 25 reps and work down to 15 for the last set

as for a diary, i do not carry anything around with me at the gym, i do it when i get out and use it as a motivational tool.

lubawyb612

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 08:12:57 PM »

i'm not suggesting that you do anything in particular... but what if you stopped pressing for 2 months... only do fly and machine fly movements, with maybe 4 sets of pressing at the end of your chest workout, start with 25 reps and work down to 15 for the last set

as for a diary, i do not carry anything around with me at the gym, i do it when i get out and use it as a motivational tool.

yeah Im going think about this a little bit tonight. Tomorrow is chest so Ill probably try out a few things.  Ill let you know what I come up with.