Author Topic: are you training enough? i hit the gym 9 times a week! thats volume baby!  (Read 17045 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
All you dumb queers, need to shut the fuck up, and listen to this mad cat blutos RAP,

This slick, talks the talk, but can walk the walk, he BACKS SHIT UP,

this guy is a super big, super strong, moderator, he has this bitch on lock

word to your mothers.

.... i nominate this for worst post of the year...

Bluto:  I think that kind of volume would overwhelm most natties, but i have trained like that in the past (especially before i turned 25)... i have trained twice a day and for weeks on end without days off... the trick to maintain it is LOTS of sleep, great nutrition and short intense workouts!

i would probably do 2-a-days if i could but with a 10 hour working day plus other commitments it's just a no-go for me at this point

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?

.... i nominate this for worst post of the year...

Bluto:  I think that kind of volume would overwhelm most natties, but i have trained like that in the past (especially before i turned 25)... i have trained twice a day and for weeks on end without days off... the trick to maintain it is LOTS of sleep, great nutrition and short intense workouts!

i would probably do 2-a-days if i could but with a 10 hour working day plus other commitments it's just a no-go for me at this point

Yes it's not for everyone. And even for me, it's not all the time. It's tempting to add exercises to back day for example since I "only" do back, but I limit to just a few exercises.  :)
Z

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Let's share routines big man, I just made one that may just be my best one yet: 5-6 times a week alternating Upper and Lower workouts, each workout with it's own emphasis whether it be strength for a lift, hypertrophy for a particular bodypart, or jsut a workout that plays a part in the overall periodization scheme. Can't wait to get on it after I'm done with my current HST routine  8)
follow the arrows

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
i never gave hst a try. if i recall correctly there was too much calculating etc i cant stand that i just wanna hit the gym and go
Z

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
i never gave hst a try. if i recall correctly there was too much calculating etc i cant stand that i just wanna hit the gym and go

HST is pretty good actually, and very intense.

At the 80% level i went home after a workout, shaking and shivering and had to sleep for 4 hours straight.

That's also why i gave it up. 3 hours training and 4 hours sleep and the day only consists of work and training.  ;D ;D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?

At the 80% level i went home after a workout, shaking and shivering and had to sleep for 4 hours straight.

That's also why i gave it up. 3 hours training and 4 hours sleep and the day only consists of work and training.  ;D ;D

looks to me like bryan haycock didnt leave room for us posting on getbig when he created it!
Z

DK II

• Getbig V
looks to me like bryan haycock didnt leave room for us posting on getbig when he created it!

lol

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats

the numbers don't really have to be calculated; its used only as a tool, so as long as ure upping the weight (progressive resistance) and have a good intuition about it its fine. I guess some people (like me ;D) just get too invovled and crazy with the numbers- I do this firstly because Im ridiculously analytical with things and also because I can just go in the gym and KNOW RIGHT THEN what I have to do so there's no thinking invovled in the gym.

Sure u did it right  ??? maybe you used too much volume but Ive done several HST cycles and never had this problem.. weird.
follow the arrows

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
the numbers don't really have to be calculated; its used only as a tool, so as long as ure upping the weight (progressive resistance) and have a good intuition about it its fine. I guess some people (like me ;D) just get too invovled and crazy with the numbers- I do this firstly because Im ridiculously analytical with things and also because I can just go in the gym and KNOW RIGHT THEN what I have to do so there's no thinking invovled in the gym.
Sure u did it right  ??? maybe you used too much volume but Ive done several HST cycles and never had this problem.. weird.

well i just get tired of all those programs that calculate a lot, hst, power factor or whatever, its one week this, one week something else, 60% max 65%max 2% weight increase etc etc
but thats just me
Z

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.

My best results from HST came when I cut down the number of excersises, and went to training every other day.

Would do perhaps 4-5 excersises only, and 3 sets. A little unorthodox from HST, but it cut down the time in the gym, also made me pound the weights better.

I would also rotate squats with front squats, and deadlifts with DB rows, benchpresses with close grips and dips, if I remember correctly.

As empty as paradise

DK II

• Getbig V

I did Cluster-HST which 20 reps.

4 exercises: dips, chin ups, squats and deadlifts.
training three times a week.

i started with 65% and worked up to 90%, clustering my way through which means i started at 1 set 20 reps and ended on 20 sets with 1 rep each at 90%.

Very fucking intense, tell me this wouldn't put you to sleep.  ;D ;D ;D

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
I did Cluster-HST which 20 reps.

4 exercises: dips, chin ups, squats and deadlifts.
training three times a week.

i started with 65% and worked up to 90%, clustering my way through which means i started at 1 set 20 reps and ended on 20 sets with 1 rep each at 90%.

Very fucking intense, tell me this wouldn't put you to sleep.  ;D ;D ;D
LOL! I literally laughed out loud when I read your first post regarding HST  ;D I'm quit unfamiliar with cluster HST, actually this is the second time Im hearing about it really. MOTHERFVCKER 20 sets with 90%, thats your 3 rm done for 20 REPS!! If that shit aint intense I don't know what is.. That would fvckin kill anyone who's any less than insane. How long are u supposed to rest in between reps? (i assume they are done 1 rep at a time?) Do u deadlift every workout? (I imagine this is the most draining part) Does the frequency of the workouts change? And most important of all questions, WERE U ABLE TO GET THROUGH THE WHOLE FVCKING THING?  ;D LOL

Oh, also if u have a link where i can read up on it that would be much appreciated.
follow the arrows

DK II

• Getbig V
LOL! I literally laughed out loud when I read your first post regarding HST  ;D I'm quit unfamiliar with cluster HST, actually this is the second time Im hearing about it really. MOTHERFVCKER 20 sets with 90%, thats your 3 rm done for 20 REPS!! If that shit aint intense I don't know what is.. That would fvckin kill anyone who's any less than insane. How long are u supposed to rest in between reps? (i assume they are done 1 rep at a time?) Do u deadlift every workout? (I imagine this is the most draining part) Does the frequency of the workouts change? And most important of all questions, WERE U ABLE TO GET THROUGH THE WHOLE FVCKING THING?  ;D LOL

Oh, also if u have a link where i can read up on it that would be much appreciated.

Hehe, you're right on everything. Rests between sets is 2-3 minutes. All four exercises are done every workout. Which means, deadlifts and squats every time.

i did it only twice, from 60% to 90%.
90% workouts really last a few hours, because you do 1 rep, rest 2-3 minutes, 1 rep, and so on.
I think at the time i did it i cut down to 15 reps on dips and chin ups, because i simply could not do more. Joints aching on dips and forearms giving up on chinups.  ;D ;D

I want to do it again, but you have to take a vacation to do it.  ;D ;D ;D
At least for the 80-90% part.  ;D ;D

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Hehe, you're right on everything. Rests between sets is 2-3 minutes. All four exercises are done every workout. Which means, deadlifts and squats every time.

i did it only twice, from 60% to 90%.
90% workouts really last a few hours, because you do 1 rep, rest 2-3 minutes, 1 rep, and so on.
I think at the time i did it i cut down to 15 reps on dips and chin ups, because i simply could not do more. Joints aching on dips and forearms giving up on chinups.  ;D ;D

I want to do it again, but you have to take a vacation to do it.  ;D ;D ;D
At least for the 80-90% part.  ;D ;D
haha no way I could do it with school n all, sounds like fun though for a change (given enough time). Maybe you should try keeping with u a BCAA drink + extra carbs to keep u going through the workout  ;) Maybe try a regular HST program next time, which won't take u much more than an hour at a time  :P Also if u could post a link to the cluster-HST program  ::)
follow the arrows

DK II

• Getbig V
haha no way I could do it with school n all, sounds like fun though for a change (given enough time). Maybe you should try keeping with u a BCAA drink + extra carbs to keep u going through the workout  ;) Maybe try a regular HST program next time, which won't take u much more than an hour at a time  :P Also if u could post a link to the cluster-HST program  ::)

Ah sorry, i forgot about the link.

I read it up on german bb boards, so if you can't speak german i guess you should try bodybuilding.com articles or just google.

Sorry!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
i read an article about arnold at a time he actually trained three (3) times a day  8)
Z

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: are you training enough? i hit the gym 9 times a week! thats volume baby!
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2007, 12:48:54 PM »
I hit the gym ultra high frequency style. Sometimes I go twice a day. I'm a complete proponent of high volume high frequency. I spent many years listening to studies and bought into the low frequency, recovery time bull crap. Train frequent, eat frequent, sleep frequent. That's the absolute best way to grow.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2007, 05:27:07 PM »
i read an article about arnold at a time he actually trained three (3) times a day  8)

Yeah, and i read an article that said Ronnie Coleman was natural and got big from 2.2g of Protein per lb of body mass and tons of Broccoli. ;) ;)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2007, 05:42:16 PM »
JFT

tallgerman

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • I love myself a lot.
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
the reason imo that not more experts, magazines etc preach about hitting the gym more often is that people doesnt have what it takes, cant find the time etc not that it's not optimal for muscle growth

myself, i hit the gym twice a day 4 times a week + once every weekend that's 9 times a week normally and i also circle 3-4 different gyms for change of atmopshere, difference in equipment etc

it's not for everyone, but it is for me. and it doesnt stop there, i also have a high volume approach to training, for example i do 10 sets of 6 on seated calves.

pic or stfu and gtfo

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2010, 02:19:03 AM »
Nobody reads through the sarcasm?

I train 3 times a day.

He even trains his mandibles (away from the board)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2010, 03:35:28 PM »
Nobody reads through the sarcasm?

I train 3 times a day.

He even trains his mandibles (away from the board)
there is a great need for sarcasm font...

bench

tallgerman

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • I love myself a lot.
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2010, 12:46:10 AM »
the reason imo that not more experts, magazines etc preach about hitting the gym more often is that people doesnt have what it takes, cant find the time etc not that it's not optimal for muscle growth

myself, i hit the gym twice a day 4 times a week + once every weekend that's 9 times a week normally and i also circle 3-4 different gyms for change of atmopshere, difference in equipment etc

it's not for everyone, but it is for me. and it doesnt stop there, i also have a high volume approach to training, for example i do 10 sets of 6 on seated calves.

pics or stfu

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2010, 08:13:26 AM »
Bluto's work ethic is second to none.
No wonder droves of women are magnetized by his steel buns.

wild willie

• Getbig V

Bluto,

IMHO.....you would progress nicely if you only trained 4-5 times a week.....rest and recovery will give you the results you are seeking.