Author Topic: I tweaked my sciatic nerve  (Read 11963 times)

midnight007

• Getbig I
I tweaked my sciatic nerve
« on: August 26, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »
Last Tuesday I was doing squats and my last set, I felt a pull in my lower back. I stopped doing squats. My back started to hurt. I woke up Wednesday and my lower back and left leg was hurting. I went to the doctor she said I might have pulled my sciatic nerve. She said lay off the weights until Monday. My left leg still hurts and my back is ok. The pain moves from my ankle to my calf. I am taking the meds I was given.  I am thinking of just taking the whole week off. I have been icing and doing some stretches. any suggestions. I wonder if I need to see a chiropractic.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
Re: I tweaked my sciatic nerve
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 07:41:16 PM »
You need to find someone to flush out the nerve. Nerve flushing will get rid of the pain.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 03:11:41 AM »
I dont know what nerve flushing is but i know about sciatic nerve...i was told i have a pinched sciatic nerve and it just hurts and there is nothing i can for it really....the things i have found that help is to stretch a little bit a very little and always try to keep your lower back covered and if possible warm i do this by always wearing a tank top and tucking it really tight in my shorts to keep that area always covered....ive gotten pain so badly from it its almost incapacitating...its really painful and for me sometimes it goes from side to the other...it sucks...good luck bro..and post updates how you doing

flex88

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 01:59:17 AM »
I have the same problem.  You may want to have your doctor order an MRI.  You may have spinal stenosis.  This is where the nerve to your legs narrow hence the pain in your calf and ankle.  I was on 800 mg. motrin for months before I went to an acupuncturist.  I finally have relief without meds.  Give it a try.

eho

• Getbig II
  • Support Canadian Chiropractic
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 03:59:49 PM »
I have the same problem.  You may want to have your doctor order an MRI.  You may have spinal stenosis.  This is where the nerve to your legs narrow hence the pain in your calf and ankle.  I was on 800 mg. motrin for months before I went to an acupuncturist.  I finally have relief without meds.  Give it a try.

while spinal stenosis is a possibility, considering how you injured yourself, it could be stenosis due to a disc herniation.  I don't know what nerve flushing is, or how you can pull a nerve for that matter.  if it is in fact your sciatic nerve, you will have pain all down your butt and thigh as well.  If your back is ok, then i would also consider Piriformis syndrome, as squatting tends to tension this muscle if you go low enough.  By all means, have your chiropractor check you out.

eho

• Getbig II
  • Support Canadian Chiropractic
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 07:25:17 PM »
however I have heard of nerve Flossing.

if this is what Dr. D's talking about?

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 08:27:10 PM »
I feel for you man! I have had this problem for years & it's getting worse. Sometimes I can't even walk.
Masters- 50-54
148#

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 06:32:04 AM »
Good Lord, everyone on this board needs to go see a freakin' chiropractor. 
Check out the FAQs and other background info on this website and then go make yourself an appointment with a good chiropractor...all of you!

www.nfldoc.com

:)

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »
Im another one who has it haha It only comes on me weirdly if im not doing anything physical ie im off work on holiday and dont touch weights, i just wake up and my back is damn sore right at the base.Once again it moves from left to right also.Will a chiro be able to help this??

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 07:16:07 PM »
Im another one who has it haha It only comes on me weirdly if im not doing anything physical ie im off work on holiday and dont touch weights, i just wake up and my back is damn sore right at the base.Once again it moves from left to right also.Will a chiro be able to help this??

A chiro will be able to help just about anything related to your back and neck unless you have a serious problem that requires surgery.  My chiro even adjusts my jaw to help with TMJ.

skipope007

• Getbig II
Sciatic Nerve Pain
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 08:50:23 PM »
  Hey I was wondering if anyone has had pain running down their leg from a sciatic nerve.  Mine started when I got really seriouse about squatting.  It comes and goes over the months but right now it is just horrible and super hard to sleep, I'm a regular Advil addict now.  Any advice on how to get over and deal with this?

Titus Oates

• Getbig I
Re: Sciatic Nerve Pain
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 03:39:57 AM »
Basically give it time to heal is the option. Avoid squats at this time or minimise the weight that you squat. I found that nerve problems like this need time to heal and regenerate , a doctor friend of mine [ holistic medicine ] put me on to biotin and vitamin E and since that - no problem at all. If you are having trouble sleeping , i would suggest a visit to the doctors for medication or try a nsaid and see if that helps. Good luck with it.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 04:55:43 AM »
Find yourself a good and reputable chiropractor.  Problem solved.   :)

Redwingenator

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 06:52:41 AM »
You need to get to a chiro, specifically one that uses Cox decompression.  The most common cause of sciatic pain is due to a disc bulging, but there are other possible causes.  Cox works to decompress the disc and allow a bulging disc to get "sucked back in."

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 08:04:13 AM »
what helped me w this type of pain was lower back extentions on a roman chair.

loosens everything up and strengthens it....helped out a lot to heal

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 10:09:33 AM »
chiropractor man ive had on and off sciatic pain for probably 10 years, most of the time it will go away by itself if you give it a while but if its bad go to a chiropractor.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 11:33:04 PM »
First: Chiro to find out exactly what's wrong
Second: If you have a buldge, Mckenzie exercise 5x daily, 20 second hold at the top, 5 reps per set. Look it up.
Third: Stretch your hamstrings...in fact, this could be first.  This will, most often, get you out of immediate pain.

SpeedDemon

• Getbig II
  • Hard work pays off
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 04:00:45 PM »
Hot Yoga.

I have had sciatic pain for almost a year now and the biggest relief for me came from hot yoga

I went to the class just cause my girlfriend asked me to, not really looking for any particular results or benefits from it other than increased flexibility.

I had a 2 week free trial and I was going three times a week and it worked wonders.

That was like a month ago and I am slowly feeling some pain coming back, I need to get back in to those classes

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 06:02:26 PM »

My chiro even adjusts my jaw

you're an animal !!!!