Author Topic: My, my how things have changed!!  (Read 8789 times)

The Coach

My, my how things have changed!!
« on: August 31, 2007, 10:01:29 PM »
The last time I competed was in 1991, I was 29 then. Now I'm finally getting ready for my first show in 16 years and even though I've kept up with the times so to speak, and as I look around my gym, read these boards and read about peoples different training philosophies, I've came to the realization that BBing is no longer about lifting weights and dieting......it's about (and in this order), drugs, diet, cardio and then weights.

I'm about as old school as one can get and when I read or see about how most people nowadays are getting ready for shows, it's almost laughable because I seriously don't think that SOME people really understand what it took or takes to get really ready to compete. IMO, it's about hitting the weights hard, dieting HARD, some gear and cardio, but again, it's drugs, 2 hours or cardio and about 45MINS OF WEIGHTS.....wtf??

Now I know why most people (pros especially) do more cardio than actually train with weights and of course it's because they rely more on the gear than they do on their actual weight training and diet...........but here's the thing, even though they do more cardio than weight train, and even though they're bigger, they're also smoother, sure some are harder, but 90% lack clear separation and striations no matter how much cardio they do.

Well, there's my rant for the evening, take it for what it's worth and even though I'm going to do it again and after looking at todays competitors, I'm still convinced that BBing's best days are behind us, people have relied on gear and are much lazier because of it.

Personally, I prefer old school training and sucking it up on a diet up until the day of a show. Like the old saying used to be............."if you don't look like you're dieing on stage, you didn't diet hard enough".

Funny how some think that nowadays is "hardcore"...........ha, you've NEVER seen hardcore until you've trained or got ready for a show old school!!!

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
Re: My, my how things have changed!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 10:05:19 PM »
meltdown!

;D

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 10:06:41 PM »
he is right about bodybuilders progressively getting smoother and smoother

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
meltdown!

;D

Na, not a meltdown at all, just a reality check.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 10:10:02 PM »

are you saying i could just do the drugs, not lift, and still be jacked?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 10:14:21 PM »
So basically the more volume you do the more hardcore you are? Intensity or insanity baby, 100 sets a bodypart here I come!

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 10:15:14 PM »
Na, not a meltdown at all, just a reality check.
Joe just do your thing, don't worry about the posers... you will kick ass no matter what..........Old school baby!

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 10:16:14 PM »
So basically the more volume you do the more hardcore you are? Intensity or insanity baby, 100 sets a bodypart here I come!

2 hour of cardio, 45mins of weights, insulin, gear, t-3, clen, eca.............you do the math.

The Coach

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 10:16:49 PM »
Joe just do your thing, don't worry about the posers... you will kick ass no matter what..........Old school baby!

I'd like to see it that way.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 10:17:39 PM »
2 hour of cardio, 45mins of weights, insulin, gear, t-3, clen, eca.............you do the math.

still think gh15's full of shit?

The Coach

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 10:19:03 PM »
still think gh15's full of shit?

Yes, he's dangerous in his posts.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:19:24 PM »
What kind of split do you do and how many sets etc?

You wont be doing any thermogenics or t-3, just a little juice?

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 10:20:48 PM »
45 mins of weights is laughable for someone on gear.

i was taking some prohormones and i couldnt leave the gym untill at least an hour and a half..no matter what body part. i just didnt want to stop lifting. sometimes i was in the gym for up to two and a half hours ...just getting heavier and heavier, going harder and hardeer the whole way through. if you are on GEAR and only lifting for 45 mins you are def. in the wrong sport.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

The Coach

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »
What kind of split do you do and how many sets etc?

You wont be doing any thermogenics or t-3, just a little juice?

My training is reversed of my cardio, I started dieting at 18 weeks before my show, I prefer small cycles for longer periods. Starting at 18 weeks out i shouldn't need t-3, but I'm older, who knows. I'm not THAT old school....LOL!

The Coach

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 10:24:33 PM »
545 mins of weights is laughable for someone on gear.

i was taking some prohormones and i couldnt leave the gym untill at least an hour and a half..no matter what body part. i just didnt want to stop lifting. sometimes i was in the gym for up to two and a half hours ...just getting heavier and heavier, going harder and hardeer the whole way through. if you are on GEAR and only lifting for 45 mins you are def. in the wrong sport.

Maybe I exaggerated a little.......but not much I promise you.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 10:25:28 PM »

I know why most people (pros especially) do more cardio than actually train with weights and of course it's because they rely more on the gear than they do on their actual weight training and diet...........

Um..... when you take gear you still gotta lift weights. The muscle doesn't just appear out of nowhere you know. And, believe it or not, when you are getting ready for a show, you gotta diet. Gear doesn't just make you look like a pro bodybuilder, you still gotta bust your arse to see any results.
No doubt about it...

The Coach

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 10:28:09 PM »
Um..... when you take gear you still gotta lift weights. The muscle doesn't just appear out of nowhere you know. And, believe it or not, when you are getting ready for a show, you gotta diet. Gear doesn't just make you look like a pro bodybuilder, you still gotta bust your arse to see any results.

I'm actually referring to pros and people who have been competing or training for along time.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 10:30:18 PM »
if you are on GEAR and only lifting for 45 mins you are def. in the wrong sport.
Depends on how or what you are training. Do some all out deadlifts and see how many sets you can do. Just because someone was finished in 45 min doesn't automatically mean he didn't have a productive or exhausting workout. You can absolutely kill yourself with just a few sets of compound exercises.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 10:32:43 PM »
The last time I competed was in 1991, I was 29 then. Now I'm finally getting ready for my first show in 16 years and even though I've kept up with the times so to speak, and as I look around my gym, read these boards and read about peoples different training philosophies, I've came to the realization that BBing is no longer about lifting weights and dieting......it's about (and in this order), drugs, diet, cardio and then weights.

You "came to this realization" in what manner? If this is truly the order you believe to be of importance, you have no idea what your doing....

I'm about as old school as one can get and when I read or see about how most people nowadays are getting ready for shows, it's almost laughable because I seriously don't think that SOME people really understand what it took or takes to get really ready to compete. IMO, it's about hitting the weights hard, dieting HARD, some gear and cardio, but again, it's drugs, 2 hours or cardio and about 45MINS OF WEIGHTS.....wtf??

It may be like this for some fools....but certainly nobody who's any good.

Now I know why most people (pros especially) do more cardio than actually train with weights and of course it's because they rely more on the gear than they do on their actual weight training and diet...........but here's the thing, even though they do more cardio than weight train, and even though they're bigger, they're also smoother, sure some are harder, but 90% lack clear separation and striations no matter how much cardio they do.

Where do you get this notion that there is more cardio than training? The two have nothing to do with each other...and slow cardio (which is the preferred method by almost all pro's) of course takes more time....add this up with the fact that we overtrained bigtime years ago, and you have your answer.

Well, there's my rant for the evening, take it for what it's worth and even though I'm going to do it again and after looking at todays competitors, I'm still convinced that BBing's best days are behind us, people have relied on gear and are much lazier because of it.

Personally, I prefer old school training and sucking it up on a diet up until the day of a show. Like the old saying used to be............."if you don't look like you're dieing on stage, you didn't diet hard enough".

Funny how some think that nowadays is "hardcore"...........ha, you've NEVER seen hardcore until you've trained or got ready for a show old school!!!

Your "old school" ideals are still true to form....all the gear in the world doesn't make a pitbull out of a chihuahua.

The Coach

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 10:41:30 PM »

I came to the realization of walking into several gyms where pro's train (including mine) and watching how things changed over the years. And yes Bob, after 30 years I know exactly what I'm talking about and how training and gear has changed the industry.

I'd reply to your responses, but I don't have time to be clicking back and forth because you can't seperate my quote from your posts!!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 10:45:56 PM »
Sorry...my bad.

I've only got 29 years in the business, what do i know...

The Coach

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 10:54:11 PM »

The cardio thing Bob, I'll just give a couple of examples, a few years ago before Titus became an inmate, I trained at Golds LV for a few days, got to know him and trained with him for a couple of days, I went along with his routein, he was getting ready for a show so who was I to change things, each weight session lasted about an hour, later he was back for a two hour cardio session. Also, I usually see people getting ready for a show training ONE bodypart perday for about 45-1 hour and the cardio sessions lasting longer.

Now, Lee Labrada is one of my favorite BBers, he beat one of my best friends (Jon Aranita) the year he turned pro.......even though I never trained with laBrada, from what I understand, his weight training was also less than his cardio workouts, BUT, he was smaller, but also more shredded with better symmetry than anyone of today.

The Coach

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 10:55:42 PM »
Sorry...my bad.

I've only got 29 years in the business, what do i know...

Didn't say you did not know anything, you clearly do, what's you're point?

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 10:56:08 PM »
I think alot of the smoothness is oil too. Its just pathetic what some guys do to place.

The Coach

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 10:56:38 PM »
I think alot of the smoothness is oil too. Its just pathetic what some guys do to place.

Insulin!