Author Topic: My, my how things have changed!!  (Read 8778 times)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: My, my how things have changed!!
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2007, 09:50:24 AM »
The pics only verify what I'm saying....

The standards of conditionoing have changed a great deal.....If Haney wasn't wearing large trunks to cover his ass, it would have been a much different looking picture....no one was looking for striated glutes in the 80's

Haney was 5'11 and about 240-45 in contest shape....Cutler is 5'10 and 280 in contest shape with better conditioning.....THERE'S your difference between yesterday and today.

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2007, 09:53:51 AM »

The standards of conditionoing have changed a great deal.....If Haney wasn't wearing large trunks to cover his ass, it would have been a much different looking picture....no one was looking for striated glutes in the 80's

Haney was 5'11 and about 240-45 in contest shape....Cutler is 5'10 and 280 in contest shape with better conditioning.....THERE'S your difference between yesterday and today.

I still say bodybuilding has no choice but to continually evolve, to keep one-upping the next guy.  If it ceases to evolve, it would be pointless.  It will always be shifting.

The Coach

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2007, 10:14:11 AM »

The Coach

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2007, 10:18:12 AM »

Now, someone find some front shots of Shawn then tell me how much better the conditioning is now??

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2007, 10:23:41 AM »
....no one was looking for striated glutes in the 80's

Gaspari was,and he found them.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2007, 10:39:08 AM »
Na, not a meltdown at all, just a reality check.

you are right on... back i nthe day guys thought nothing of working out for 4-6 hours at a time.... chemical enhancement has really changed things

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2007, 10:40:33 AM »

Now, someone find some front shots of Shawn then tell me how much better the conditioning is now??

The conditioning  from the early to late 1990s is GONE period , not many guys come in shape to contests in these days hell look at King Coleman he was much sharper lighter its a trade off you get guys less conditioned but heavier , what wins contests theses days size , conditioning , shape then balance and posing dead last .

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »
I will agree 100 percent with CHIC meaning that there is an obvious difference in size ...HOWEVER....there's a decline in QUALITY so I have to also agree 100 % with COACH.

The Coach

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2007, 11:09:01 AM »
.no one was looking for striated glutes in the 80's

Now you have striated glutes and smoother backs :-\

The Coach

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2007, 11:10:30 AM »
I will agree 100 percent with CHIC meaning that there is an obvious difference in size ...HOWEVER....there's a decline in QUALITY so I have to also agree 100 % with COACH.

It's alot easier to get big now then it was to attain the conditioning back then.

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2007, 11:18:26 AM »
Chic will blindly defend the status quo no matter what, its his job.   ::) 

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2007, 11:21:52 AM »
It's alot easier to get big now then it was to attain the conditioning back then.

Here`s a couple from the old days.

&mode=related&search=

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2007, 02:54:59 PM »
you know somewhere in the past 25 years the purpose of all this was lost....that's why classic card look so much better than escalades on 25's  ;)

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2007, 04:21:45 PM »

Yes, I know. That's why I posted them.  ;)

garraeth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2007, 06:31:29 PM »

you are right on... back i nthe day guys thought nothing of working out for 4-6 hours at a time.... chemical enhancement has really changed things
not true

The Coach

« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2007, 08:13:49 PM »
not true

Maybe not 4-6 hours but close. Lets just say 3-4 was pretty much the norm at least on Saturdays (leg days).

The Coach

« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2007, 08:16:08 PM »
Here`s a couple from the old days.

&mode=related&search=

Crownshep, I respect the hell out of you, but the title of that youtube was a little disturbing...LOL!

garraeth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2007, 09:02:41 PM »
Maybe not 4-6 hours but close. Lets just say 3-4 was pretty much the norm at least on Saturdays (leg days).
Sorry, I meant: not true that today guys don't do 4-6 hours in the gym each day. Hide does. Benice does. Steve does. I don't cuz I'm a beginner...and have a normal job so can't afford to be away that long  :)

Unfortunately someone is going to say: "Hide and those guys are all drugs to be able to spend that much time in the gym". Which, ironically, is basically accusing the old schoolers of being "all drugs" as well (since, apparently, they were in the gym 4-6 hours/day).

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2007, 10:05:56 PM »
Chic will blindly defend the status quo no matter what, its his job.   ::) 

Yeah...that makes a lot of sense being that I've stated that I thought the physiques of yesterday were better.....STFU.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2007, 10:23:43 PM »
I've said it before. The reason for BBing's declining popularity is that the FANS don't want to look like the pros.

If a poll was taken among Getbiggers with the question being: Which physique would you rather have? Cutler's or Mentzer's? IMO, Mike would win by a landslide.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2007, 10:31:25 PM »
I've said it before. The reason for BBing's declining popularity is that the FANS don't want to look like the pros.

If a poll was taken among Getbiggers with the question being: Which physique would you rather have? Cutler's or Mentzer's? IMO, Mike would win by a landslide.

Bodybuildings popularity hasnt declined...it was never that high to begin with. The numbers at the amatuer level are higher than at any other time in history, and the prize money, sponsors are also at the highest at the pro level....the biggest problem is that for the potential of making money/ a career out of being a pro BB, it's pretty tough to convince a young kid that with 10-15 years of hard work...he could get there.
 People are into the drive -thru version of everything these days...few people are willing to sacrifice the time dedication and money neccessary to achieve something for pride, or personal satisfaction....

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2007, 10:41:45 PM »
Bodybuildings popularity hasnt declined...

Do we have to go through this again?

You and I are the same age. I'm sure you remember the Night of Champions being held at the Beacon Theatre, capacity 4K.

Why would that contest, now called the NY Pro, be held at the Tribeca Center, capacity 1k, if the promoters could sell 3K more tickets by booking the Beacon?

If you want to argue that more people than ever lift weights for health and fitness, I'm with you, but, there's simply no denying that pro-bodybuilding's popularity has declined.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2007, 10:44:44 PM »
and the Olympia has sold thousands more now,  than at that same time period.....

We dont really know how many tickets at the old NOC were sold, and how many were comped....believe me...If Weinberger thought for 1 minute that 3-4K tickets could be sold...he would have kept it there...

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2007, 10:54:05 PM »
Why don't we look at the female side of things?

You'd have to be certifiable to think that Iris Kyle is more popular, now, than Cory Everson was in her day.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2007, 10:59:52 PM »
The female side of things/ decline has been well documented and explained....

The more masculine the female BB has become, the less interested fans/ companies/ magazines......