Author Topic: What kind of dog should I get????  (Read 18987 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: What kind of dog should I get????
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2007, 10:34:32 AM »
I have a friend with a boxer & also has kids

Not sure about the breed standard...but his is awesome with kids.  Great family dog.  Short hair.

By and large they are all good with kids, especially if they are raised with them.   

I really miss my boxer.  He was one tough, tough stubborn, bullheaded dog.   (he was the one that was stabbed repeatedly and burned over 1/3 of his body), but he was a great dog.   He wasn't the smartest member of the pack, but that was ok, he made up for it with goofiness and his personality. 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2007, 10:36:56 AM »
By and large they are all good with kids, especially if they are raised with them.   

I really miss my boxer.  He was one tough, tough stubborn, bullheaded dog.   (he was the one that was stabbed repeatedly and burned over 1/3 of his body), but he was a great dog.   He wasn't the smartest member of the pack, but that was ok, he made up for it with goofiness and his personality. 

WTF?
w

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2007, 10:44:47 AM »
WTF?

When my wife and I worked for the humane society as first year veterinary students, this boxer came in as an abuse case.  He had had been found in an afluent persons back yard, dumped over a 6 foot privacy fence.  The tendons in his one hind leg were cut, he was stabbed several times and someone had caught him on fire--he had 2nd and 3rd degree burns over his the right side of his chest, neck, and onto his abdomen prior to pitching him over the fence.  Some of the burns were so deep, they left permenant scars.   My wife took care of the dog, debrided and cleaned the wounds every day, basically put him back together.  Through all of this, he just took it.  Never showed any pain, and we all knew he had to be hurting.  he was just one tough dog.    

Because he was a stray, after 21 days, when there were no leads to who did what happened to him he either had to be adopted out or euthanized.   My wife brought him home and we had him until he died (I euthanized him because of poor condition/his being near death) at approximately 13 years of age from a heart tumor (cancer of the heart---not uncommon with boxers). 

he went on to become an absolutely GREAT family pet.   You couldn't help but love his goofy, farting, slobbering, wrinkleface.   ;)   he was a great dog. 

soflagirl

• Getbig I
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2007, 12:07:39 PM »
Mindspin, you are welcome!
Weimaraner's are really a neat breed, they're a lot of fun! And the picture you posted shows what a gorgeous animals they are, have you seen any puppy pictures of the breed?
Boxer's are a great breed too.
I used to breed Weim's, so if you have any specific questions regarding the breed I'd be glad to answer them.
Soflagirl

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2007, 03:42:55 PM »
What about Boxers?

You're pushing the limit on what you originally said about size.  Some of the info here seemed helpful.  http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100050/
:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2007, 04:04:33 PM »

You're pushing the limit on what you originally said about size.  Some of the info here seemed helpful.  http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100050/

boxers aren't that big

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2007, 08:37:01 PM »
boxers aren't that big

I guess your idea of big and my idea of big are two different things.  :P
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2007, 05:55:38 AM »
I guess your idea of big and my idea of big are two different things.  :P

I don't consider a dog big unless it is 100+ pounds.   People comment that Briona is big (she's around 80# I think) and I am like huh?  she's not big.   I guess having the Danes give me a different perspective. 
::)

But that is a good point Princess L, big or small can be very different to people, so a weight range might be better to state.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2007, 08:52:39 AM »
I would place boxers into the 'medium' class

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2007, 09:09:24 AM »
Boxers are a decent sized dog.  I know nothing about them specific wise but from what I hear they take alot of exercise to really be happy and could EASILY hang with you on walks.  You have to think about while walking a dog every single day for 30-45min is ideal, if you can only walk them 2-4 times a week and one of those days in the week is a HIKE, that really carries over. 

Friends of mine have 2 Bouviers and one goes once every two weeks to herd.  Supposedly after it is done it'll pretty much sleep for a day or two.  Then again, herding is extremely physically AND mentally stimulating for a dog.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2007, 09:50:05 AM »
Boxers are a decent sized dog.  I know nothing about them specific wise but from what I hear they take alot of exercise to really be happy and could EASILY hang with you on walks.  You have to think about while walking a dog every single day for 30-45min is ideal, if you can only walk them 2-4 times a week and one of those days in the week is a HIKE, that really carries over. 

Friends of mine have 2 Bouviers and one goes once every two weeks to herd.  Supposedly after it is done it'll pretty much sleep for a day or two.  Then again, herding is extremely physically AND mentally stimulating for a dog.

I wouldn't think a boxer needs anymore exercise than a Labrador

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2007, 10:55:40 AM »
I wouldn't think a boxer needs anymore exercise than a Labrador

I only know one person with a boxer but she is a breeder.  According to her they are quite lively.

body88

« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2007, 11:45:22 AM »

The second guy weighs 20 lbs. I am gonig to get one of these guys. It will be funny to see a 95 lb American bulldog and a 20 lb minature bull terrier.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »
The mini bulls are really cool looking dogs.  Very small yet probably extremely athletic.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2007, 05:40:04 PM »

I don't consider a dog big unless it is 100+ pounds.   People comment that Briona is big (she's around 80# I think) and I am like huh?  she's not big.   I guess having the Danes give me a different perspective. 
::)

But that is a good point Princess L, big or small can be very different to people, so a weight range might be better to state.

Good to know both of my boys will be pushing the big Category.. then I will change my name to SINCITYsmallGUY&2bigdogs

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2007, 07:08:13 PM »
Good to know both of my boys will be pushing the big Category.. then I will change my name to SINCITYsmallGUY&2bigdogs

But SinCitysmallGu  will still be all that shows up.    ;D

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2007, 08:00:47 AM »

Reese is a Boxer/Mastiff Mix, she's pretty stubborn...see below

*Good with kids - would love to pounce on every one she sees, not the most gentle beast
*Smart - will learn almost anything with time and treats, sometimes bullheaded/stubborn
*Medium size - yep, well 65 lbs.
*Minimal shedding/barking -  she's a shedder >:(/not a barker though, thank goodness

i

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2007, 04:45:10 PM »
get a doberman, beautiful dogs.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2007, 11:23:31 AM »
get a doberman, beautiful dogs.

Too big, dominant for Mindspin's case.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2007, 12:12:20 PM »
they are good with kids. As always it depends on the environment and training.

very smart quick learners.

In my opinion I don't think they are that big.

Shed quite abit.
Barking I've met both loud and quiet dobe's so it depends. really depends on the owner. In terms of who is dominant, the owner can't be a push over, they are very receptive and know who is boss. They aren't difficult to train. 

they are always on guard for the family and house. :)

body88

« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2007, 08:13:58 AM »
they are good with kids. As always it depends on the environment and training.

very smart quick learners.

In my opinion I don't think they are that big.

Shed quite abit.
Barking I've met both loud and quiet dobe's so it depends. really depends on the owner. In terms of who is dominant, the owner can't be a push over, they are very receptive and know who is boss. They aren't difficult to train. 

they are always on guard for the family and house. :)

A great dog no doubt. But considering mindspins criteria I don't think a dobe would be a good fit. Not to say they are not great with kids. They do however need a fair amount of training and are dominant dogs.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2007, 08:09:06 PM »
Alan Scott Americanbulldog female.

Here are two of my girls.  Currently own 4, keep two at my home. 

http://members6.boardhost.com/808BULLYBOARD/msg/1182310869.html

I will post breed characteristics, things to look for and breed standard later. 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2007, 03:36:36 PM »
What about a Tibetan terrier?  Is $1600 a fair price?
w

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2007, 05:53:49 PM »
What about a Tibetan terrier?  Is $1600 a fair price?
Cool dog but thats a bit high, i would think $1000
X

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2007, 07:30:50 AM »
Cool dog but thats a bit high, i would think $1000

Depends on the breeder.  Money for a dog matters in what it is worth to you.