Author Topic: PARALLEL SQUATS ARE IMPOSSIBLE  (Read 8027 times)

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
PARALLEL SQUATS ARE IMPOSSIBLE
« on: September 17, 2007, 02:05:06 PM »
Squatting heavy isn't the only way to make squatting hard.  In fact you can make squatting impossible without any extra weight at all.  What this means is that by controlling the ROM of a squat (or any other exercise for that matter) you can ensure maximal difficulty for the entire rep. 
 /
/_
  /
figure A

the figure above is what's normally considered paralell for a squat, if you're strong you can hold a lot of weight this way

|
|_
   |
figure B

This figure on the other hand represents what I MEAN by a paralell squat.  It is impossible to hold (if you don't believe me try it or read up on the physics, start with torques).  To make squatting harder without the use of any additional weight try to start squatting more like figure B and less like figure A.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: PARALLEL SQUATS ARE IMPOSSIBLE
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »
thats wat i was just typing, also u need to tighten ur back to squat. the vbar will roll off

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 02:12:35 PM »
Squatting heavy isn't the only way to make squatting hard.  In fact you can make squatting impossible without any extra weight at all.  What this means is that by controlling the ROM of a squat (or any other exercise for that matter) you can ensure maximal difficulty for the entire rep. 
 /
/_
  /
figure A

the figure above is what's normally considered paralell for a squat, if you're strong you can hold a lot of weight this way

|
|_
   |
figure B

This figure on the other hand represents what I MEAN by a parallel squat.  It is impossible to hold (if you don't believe me try it or read up on the physics, start with torques).  To make squatting harder without the use of any additional weight try to start squatting more like figure B and less like figure A.
You can hold the body in that position with a certain amount of weight maybe a little higher maybe lower its not rocket science dont take the whole parallel so literal just squat and shut the fuck up >:( ;D also to make it harder never lock out the knees..
p

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 02:16:16 PM »
They're called sissy squats, douchebag.
follow the arrows

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 02:17:42 PM »
I think you guys are missing my point.  My goal is not to lift the most weight it is to make the exercise as hard as possible.  

Most of you have two goals, to be able to lift heavy weights and to develop your physique.  Lifting weights helps to develop the physique because it puts strain on your muscles

My goals are A little bit different, I want to be able to control my body through the largest possible range of motion and to develop my physique.  As I explained above, incresing range of motion can put just as much strain on the muscles as lifting heavy weight.  So by increasing range of motion I will alsop develop my physique.  I also will have more precise control over resistance and I won't need any weights to help me.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 02:21:47 PM »
 /
/_
  /
figure A

|
|_
   |
figure B

This figure on the other hand represents what I MEAN by a paralell squat.  It is impossible to hold (if you don't believe me try it or read up on the physics, start with torques).  To make squatting harder without the use of any additional weight try to start squatting more like figure B and less like figure A.

In both figures, the thigh is parallell to the ground, which is what you judge by.

It's not the shin and the back who are supposed to be parallell. ::)

Are you sure you know what "parallell" is referring to?  ???

As empty as paradise

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 02:22:44 PM »
how's the ROM increased by doing that?
Deep Tissue Massage

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 02:24:53 PM »
what is the point i makeing some thing hard like that. why not use more weiht with good form

e.g i could make 135lbs heavy if i spent 2 mins negative and a 30sec positive.

i dont c the point as oppossed to normal regular squatting

i understand about ur physique etc y not do 1 legged squats holding a 20kg plate or a kettlebell 1 legged squats u can get more ROM

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 02:25:36 PM »
how's the ROM increased by doing that?
Thighs go through a lower ROM if your knees move forward,i.e. when your shins go past 90 degrees to the ground.
follow the arrows

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 02:27:38 PM »
Thighs go through a lower ROM if your knees move forward,i.e. when your shins go past 90 degrees to the ground.

yeah, but with a straight back you can only go to parallel, maximum, if that.

with the diagonal back , you can go as far as your ass can reach.

wouldn't the ROM be greater with the "wrong" version?
Deep Tissue Massage

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 02:29:07 PM »
yeah, but with a straight back you can only go to parallel, maximum, if that.

with the diagonal back , you can go as far as your ass can reach.

wouldn't the ROM be greater with the "wrong" version?
LOL, thats true, I guess he chose to compare the parallel versions only.
follow the arrows

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 02:30:11 PM »

When I hit the part of the rep where it gets too hard I start to let my knees drift forward a little, or I let my upper body move forward, but just little by little.  This way I maintain peak pressure for the entire rep.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 02:32:57 PM »
With the sissy Squat you can accomplish the same with much mroe efficiency and a fuller ROM,i.e. if you use the sissy squat setup that you can use to fix your shins in place.
follow the arrows

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 02:33:37 PM »
When I hit the part of the rep where it gets too hard I start to let my knees drift forward a little, or I let my upper body move forward, but just little by little.  This way I maintain peak pressure for the entire rep.

squats are a quad and hamstring exercise.  i don't know what kind of weird stuff you're doing, but my impression was that the maximum ROM and maximum resistance would produce maximum results.  you're getting neither with your squats.  this is bodybuilding, not balancing.
Deep Tissue Massage

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 02:35:40 PM »
With the sissy Squat you can accomplish the same with much mroe efficiency and a fuller ROM,i.e. if you use the sissy squat setup that you can use to fix your shins in place.

shouldn't sissy squats be used as a training aid for squatting competitions?  not really effective for muscle building; possibly for "balance", in case you ever need to balance yourself in that position, i guess you'd be set with sissy squats.
Deep Tissue Massage

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 02:38:01 PM »
why not use the smith machine and get the best of both worlds..the ability to deep and still have a straight back, while carrying a decent weight under control
Here comes the money shot

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 02:38:57 PM »
shouldn't sissy squats be used as a training aid for squatting competitions?  not really effective for muscle building; possibly for "balance", in case you ever need to balance yourself in that position, i guess you'd be set with sissy squats.
I think its gonna affect your squat number minimally if anything. As a training aid for those wanting to build muscle, it's probably a great exercise for taking the hams out of the equation.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 02:39:57 PM »
why not use the smith machine and get the best of both worlds..the ability to deep and still have a straight back, while carrying a decent weight under control
The knees take a shitload of beating that way, in theory atleast.
follow the arrows

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 02:41:40 PM »

fixing the shins with the sissy squat setup would be a good way to switch things up and hit the muscles slightly differently, but the same principles would apply.  

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 02:46:46 PM »

if you are using the smith machine you're back is supported by the bar and what I said above applies differently.  It changes the forces.

pushinweight

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 02:49:58 PM »
Jeez if you are going to do squats that way because you want it harder then start doing one arm bench press too and only squat with one leg.  This is a very dumb thread

I        I
       I        I

The upper diagram is one handed bench press and the bottom is the now obsolete two handed version.  This is harder ???

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 02:53:04 PM »
you can use this principle, moving closer to the impossible position throughout the range of motion with any exercise to ensure peak contraction throughout the rep.

If you're main concern is maximizing muscle tension this is the way to do it.  You also have less risk of injury because injuries are mostly cause when you fall into a range of motion in which you are weaker.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 02:54:45 PM »
Jeez if you are going to do squats that way because you want it harder then start doing one arm bench press too and only squat with one leg.  This is a very dumb thread

I        I
       I        I

The upper diagram is one handed bench press and the bottom is the now obsolete two handed version.  This is harder ???

there is nothing harder than impossible

with a unilateral movement you will just won't be able to get as close to the impossible range of motion, but I agree it is a nice way to switch things up and recruit different stabilizer muscles

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 03:07:11 PM »

squats are a quad and hamstring exercise.  i don't know what kind of weird stuff you're doing, but my impression was that the maximum ROM and maximum resistance would produce maximum results.  you're getting neither with your squats.  this is bodybuilding, not balancing.

in the position diagramed in Figure B you would have to apply infinite tension that's why it is impossible.

In fact this position:

|
 \
  |

is impossible as well, so is this one:

|
 \
  \

or this one:

\
 \
  \

or this one:

|
|/|
   '
But by modifying these positions slightly and moving steadilly through them you can create a range of motion that requires maximal resistance throughout.  This is the pinnacle of the mind muscle connection.  Controlling your movements so as to maximize muscle strain.

BlueDevil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 03:08:39 PM »
Time is the dimensions of an object, all dimensions are equal and identical -If there is a particle there we can see it as we see all objects in existence, but very small particles, like neutrinoes are practically invisible, imagine how small a parellel squat particle would be then.