Author Topic: BOB - WHAT HAPPENED WITH MORE COMPARISONS RULE?  (Read 10261 times)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Re: BOB - WHAT HAPPENED WITH MORE COMPARISONS RULE?
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2007, 01:47:22 PM »
In the end Wolf really didn't get shafted, the guy finished 5th in his second O for chrissakes.

And there ARE some issues with his physique, the most glaring of which is not being signed by Muscletech ;D

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2007, 01:53:20 PM »
imo if the comparison top 10 portion was longer it would have made the webcast more dynamic. 

lastrep

• Getbig III
  • One Last Rep!
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »
Hi Bob,

Here we are again...
As you announced back in 2006 - you have received conformation from Mr. Jim Manion that starting with IRONMAN 2007 we will have MORE COMPARISONS and if I remember correctly you even used a term: top ten will all be crisscrossed and compared...

At the IRONMAN we had situation where hardly any comparisons took place and as you know - after the prejudging we had somewhat uncomfortable discussion with the judges...

That day Mr. Manion called me and when I asked him WHAT HAPPENED - he suggested that possibly some of the judges were NOT informed about this NEW POLICY (so much for putting things in writing - I guess?)

Well, after I must say pretty good year of NUMEROUS COMPARISONS in many shows (still not as many as expected - but definitely MORE THAN EVER) I was looking foreword to Mr. Olympia - FINAL CONTEST OF THE YEAR...SUPERBOWL OF BODYBUILDING...and being that prejudging is separated from the finals (on Friday night) - it was safe to assume that WE WILL HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD TO COMPARE each and every athlete even with their own shadows...if we had to...

How and why we didn't have MORE COMPARISONS and how and why some athletes were denied a chance to compete - it is a question I have to ask...

And while some people will suggest that I am talking about "my athletes" - I would like to say - all the athletes are "my athletes" (as just like you Bob - I do care for all the IFBB pros...so fact that I am maybe helping some in preparation doesn't mean I am now against any other...I only like to bring the best out of each and every guy and help them reach their full potential).

So, HOW (!?) for the love of God could IFBB judging panel NOT want to see Dennis Wolf standing right next to (rather: in between) Jay and Victor?
And how for example AC champion Johnnie Jackson was never compared with Melvin Anthony (as Melvin "predicted" at the press conference)...or Ronnie, Dexter, Jay...and how about my dear friend - Hidetada Yamagishi (who's sponsor organized large group of Japanese fans to come to Vegas and witness the history -as Hide is the very first Japanese bodybuilder to ever step on Mr. Olympia stage...just to realize - head judge didn't even know how to pronounce Hidetada's name, making fun of his mistakes...as he thought he is being funny mispronouncing Hidetada's name 5-6 times...).
Guests form Japan were deeply disturbed with that and I must say: rightfully so...

Could it be that after failing to remember his name judge decided NOT to call Hide for additional comparisons (I saw Hide worthy of being compared to his ex training partner Silvio, Gustavo, David H....etc)

When we are talking about THE OLYMPIA...Joe Weider's Mr. Olympia - as ULTIMATE CONTEST at the end of EVERY YEAR - which determines exactly WHO IS THE BEST BODYBUILDER IN THE WORLD...we should have MORE comparisons than normally and certainly not less.

While there are many bellow average IFBB pros at some IFBB professional events - certain comparisons among the athletes are possibly NOT necessary (due to obvious difference in quality)...but Olympians are "special breed" and they are not there by accident...they earned their right to step on that stage through qualification process - as they had to prove themselves - competing and placing in the top 3 in some of the shows prior to Mr. O.

And if judges somehow overlook somebody on Friday...they could see some photos on the Internet (like the "instant replay")....review it... and maybe realize that some competitors DESERVE to be compared to otherwise "protected" champions...

Fans deserve to see it...the whole world does...but we are still not doing it?!?

Agreed 100%

5 minutes after the pre-judging I was making the point how the "psychic" judges can possibly not compare the #1, #2 and #5 (the judges opinions/placings ofcourse) to each other??? The pre-JUDGING is to judge not "guess" what they look like beside each other when they will fall a mere 2-3 placings apart. Ridiculous and a shameful judging process.. or better yet the lack of.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2007, 02:40:37 PM »
Hah, its bullshit and there is literally not a damn thing anybody can do about it.  What a brilliant little scheme they have running.  Jay shouldn't be blamed for the fact he won but he's already convinced himself of a bullshit excuse in that structural flaws comment.

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2007, 02:57:27 PM »
Agreed...Jim has done a great job this year.

As per the Olympia...I don't have a big problem other than the obvious...Wolf not getting a callout against Jay. Melvin even got compared to Jay (twice I believe) and ended up finishing BEHIND Wolf....

Other than that, I think the callouts were decent....other than the fan callouts which I would have liked for show appeal...

The fact that the head judge thought his repeated mispronunciation of Hidetada's name was funny (name isn't that difficult)
was insulting, not to mention it didn't really make the olympia seem like an "international" contest, even though it
supposed to be an international federation.

Rockell (or whoever is the head judge is) needs to make an effort to learn how to pronouce an olympia competitors name, i think Hide
deserved at least that much.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2007, 03:12:20 PM »
Regardless about what some of you guys think about Bob being a "companyman" I know that there a many things that he doesn't like that he would like to see changed for the benefit of the pros, but he can only do so much.

Agree 100%.

Cicherillo is a genuine fan of BB from what I can tell. He himself got shafted in his career, had to watch as blocky BB's placed ahead of him.

Why would he all of a sudden change his opinion of bodybuilding?
As empty as paradise

thisiskeith12

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2007, 03:15:46 PM »
Jay knew to win he would have to stay away from Dennis and Victor. The best man should win yes, but it's a also a game.

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2007, 03:27:12 PM »
All the judges should bee selected by the athletes competing in any PRO IFBB event, JUST LIKE IN BOXING. The judges from this Mr.O should be suspended for 1year.

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2007, 03:44:25 PM »
From 15 judges 5 will be selected, the list should include former BBs such Rich Gaspari, Scott Wilson, Samir Benout, Lee Labrada, Lee Haney, Ed Corny, Bob Chic, etc... 

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2007, 03:52:32 PM »
From 15 judges 5 will be selected, the list should include former BBs such Rich Gaspari, Scott Wilson, Samir Benout, Lee Labrada, Lee Haney, Ed Corny, Bob Chic, etc... 

Bob, Sean, Lee, Milos and the rest of IFBB members what do you think about my suggestion?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2007, 03:59:48 PM »

I think the idea is pretty good, but it has flaws.

The judges will mainly be picked based upon availability I'm afraid.

However, rotation of the judges, as Shawn Ray and Cicherillo have been talking about for years, ever since the DeMilia years, should definitely be considered.

It would be good to get some kind of rule written down perhaps on a minimum amounts of comparisons to be done in the top two callouts. Or something like that.

I dunno. Cicherillo can probably think something up.

But getting the BB's to be able to pick the judges themselves, I think that will be hard, economically.
As empty as paradise

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2007, 04:06:25 PM »
Bob, Sean, Lee, Milos and the rest of IFBB members what do you think about my suggestion?

I think....there's no way I'm sitting my ass down for hours at a time to judge....it's a thankless job at best....you know, like being an athletes rep..! ;D

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2007, 04:10:33 PM »
I think the idea is pretty good, but it has flaws.

The judges will mainly be picked based upon availability I'm afraid.

However, rotation of the judges, as Shawn Ray and Cicherillo have been talking about for years, ever since the DeMilia years, should definitely be considered.

It would be good to get some kind of rule written down perhaps on a minimum amounts of comparisons to be done in the top two callouts. Or something like that.

I dunno. Cicherillo can probably think something up.

But getting the BB's to be able to pick the judges themselves, I think that will be hard, economically.
, For the MrO, they can be chosen 30 days in advance and for the other shows the head judge at list.

Milos_Sarcev

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • http://www.milossarcev.com
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2007, 04:23:24 PM »
Nothing like a contest that will last like 5 hours.

Let's see:

10 guys calling 10 comparisons (8 poses)...maybe 3 minutes each...do the math...

Now - WHOEVER DOESN'T WANT TO SEE COMPARISONS can easily leave the building and come back for posing routines...True fans would watch - FOR HOURS...
I know as I would...

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2007, 04:24:29 PM »
Let's see:

10 guys calling 10 comparisons (8 poses)...maybe 3 minutes each...do the math...

Now - WHOEVER DOESN'T WANT TO SEE COMPARISONS can easily leave the building and come back for posing routines...True fans would watch - FOR HOURS...
I know as I would...
i would have liked to see Hide compared to Dexter, also would have liked to see Ronnie Rockel compared to both Dexter and Hide.

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2007, 04:24:35 PM »
I think....there's no way I'm sitting my ass down for hours at a time to judge....it's a thankless job at best....you know, like being an athletes rep..! ;D

That is OK you can stay as a athletes rep, I know you are doing your bets and I know how difficult is to pleas every body. This judging situation need to resolved soon is possible.

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2007, 04:30:40 PM »
 Urgent meeting need to be organized, the bbs have to speak out.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2007, 04:36:32 PM »
Urgent meeting need to be organized, the bbs have to speak out.

Whenever Cicherillo tries to hold Athlete's meetings, pretty much noone shows up.

That's part of the problem.

Hopefully, there are other ways to go about this problem.

Lets look at the upside: The judging at the Olympia was really the first one this year that was total bullshit.

The judging in the other shows improved, due to the increased amount of comparisons.

Lets hope that this was a temporarily slip, and lets hope that the people involved will do whatever is possible to prevent it from ever happen again.
As empty as paradise

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2007, 04:40:04 PM »
Lets not get to crazy people...other than Wolf not getting a direct comparison to Jay...I thought the comparisons were pretty good.

Whether or not some of you agree with those decisions is another matter...

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2007, 04:41:41 PM »
Whenever Cicherillo tries to hold Athlete's meetings, pretty much noone shows up.

That's part of the problem.

Hopefully, there are other ways to go about this problem.

Lets look at the upside: The judging at the Olympia was really the first one this year that was total bullshit.

The judging in the other shows improved, due to the increased amount of comparisons.

Lets hope that this was a temporarily slip, and lets hope that the people involved will do whatever is possible to prevent it from ever happen again.

A official letter from Bob on the behalf of the IFBB athletes would get Jim`s attention.

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2007, 04:48:14 PM »
Lets not get to crazy people...other than Wolf not getting a direct comparison to Jay...I thought the comparisons were pretty good.

Whether or not some of you agree with those decisions is another matter...

It is not about Wolf it is about the integrity of the sport, and was watched by millions around the world.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2007, 04:50:26 PM »
Chicks idea makes sense.

Melvin, who finished behind Wolf was compared to Jay.

There just needs to be more cross comparisons being made...espeically with guys they know are going to be top 5 or even top 7.  It wouldn't be that hard.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2007, 05:13:56 PM »
I think....there's no way I'm sitting my ass down for hours at a time to judge....it's a thankless job at best....you know, like being an athletes rep..!

Judges are far more disgusting than athlete's reps...  I mean look at "texasbubba" who lets his prepubescent daughter do stripper moves in front of adult audiences to a soundtrack of "this is why I'm hot".  I don't think you'd do something like that, Bob.  :-\
Ron: "I am lazy."

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2007, 05:28:59 PM »

Judges are far more disgusting than athlete's reps...  I mean look at "texasbubba" who lets his prepubescent daughter do stripper moves in front of adult audiences to a soundtrack of "this is why I'm hot".  I don't think you'd do something like that, Bob.  :-\

Well...better to  keep your pedo- self away from the kids cheerleading, gymnastics and fittness competitions seeing how you get turned on by it and see them as being sexual....

See you on "Dateline" next month...!

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2007, 05:30:49 PM »
It is not about Wolf it is about the integrity of the sport, and was watched by millions thousands around the world.

fixed