Author Topic: What Initially Got You Guys Interested In Bodybuilding ?  (Read 10956 times)

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
What Initially Got You Guys Interested In Bodybuilding ?
« on: October 11, 2007, 10:31:02 PM »
For me it was when me and my Father were flipping through Channels one Day ( I had to be around 8 years old or so ) and we happened to come across a Bodybuilding Competition on ESPN ( back when they ACTUALLY Broadcasted Bodybuilding Competitions ) ... I remember being in COMPLETE AWE with the Physiques presented on the Stage that day ... I was absolutely DUMBFOUNDED because these guys looked EXACTLY like the Superheroes I read in my Comic Books ... HELL, even BIGGER ! Back then I use to Draw a lot of Superheroes someday hoping that I, too, would look like one. It wasn't long after that when my Father and I came across some Bodybuilding Mags at a Garage Sale. I bought them IMMEDIATLY ! Because I was so young at that time I never got seriously involved with Bodybuilding ( I wish I would've :D ) ... not until 9 years later when I had a Sports Injury ... been with it ever since.  ;)

I'd also have to say that my Parents DEFINITELY motivated me as well to lift Weights ... my Father was a Fireman and had a very strong Build ... just very dense, thick, and strong. And, surprisingly, my Mother had GREAT Genetics as well ... I don't think I've ever met or seen a Woman as Naturally strong as my Mother other than my Girlfriend.  :D

Sorry guys ... don't mean to gloat ... guess sometimes I just miss the past. Didn't have an easy Childhood at all ( growing up Half-Black, Half-White has it's negative drawbacks :D ) ... just miss some things is all. At any rate,  I would love to hear about your guys's experiences as well !  :)

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
Re: What Initially Got You Guys Interested In Bodybuilding ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 12:14:11 AM »
Arnold carrying that tree trunk in Commando!

Best picture I could find unfortunately..  :(
It hasn't helped...

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:56:01 AM »
Arnold carrying that tree trunk in Commando!

Best picture I could find unfortunately..  :(

YEAH, I guess that would do it ! LOL ! That was ONE HELL of a Movie !!   8)

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 02:08:05 AM »
Ever since I was like 5 I'd always be flexing my biceps and shit like that.  Started playing Rugby League when I was 7 and that kept me fit.  Parents bought me a dumbbell set and weights when I was 13, and dad gave me his old bodybuilding mags from the 70's.  That's how I started.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 05:55:01 AM »
There wasn't one particular thing that got me interested in bodybuilding but I can remember a few things that inspired me:

1. When I sat in the cinema aged 10 or 11 and saw a trailer for Twins - it was the first time I had heard of Arnold Schwarzenegger and my first reaction was "look at the size of that guy's name!".

2. When I was flicking through an old 1982 copy of the Guinness Book of Records at a friends house and saw a picture of Arnold mentioned as "the most perfectly devloped man in the history of the world". Thought that was pretty cool and wondered what it took to look like that.

3. One of the tabloids ran an article on the WBF back in 1990 (when I was 13) and I saw a pic of Gary Strydom. Thought it was freaky and really cool looking when everyone round me was saying "yuk, that's horrible".

Knew then that I wanted to look different than the average person.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 08:41:58 AM »
GREAT Replies, Guys ! I wish we could get some MORE Replies though ...  :'(

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 04:44:04 PM »
Had a cousin who was into bodybuilding, his physique was good. Initially I started working out with him.

Also Arnold was an interesting figure. Where he came from and the accomplishments he made after was amazing. Ever since if been interested in Arnold and bodybuilding.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 04:48:20 PM »
Terminator 2! I must have rented that movie at least 20 times when I was a kid. Just about any Arnold movie motivates me to lift some weights!
just push some weight!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 05:00:28 PM »
steroids were cheaper than cocaine............just bullshitting

it was when i saw conan the barbarian when i was about 4 years old.

bench

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 05:01:32 PM »
Art. I used to draw a lot when I was younger (superheroes & such) so I'd buy bodybuilding magazines to draw from. After a couple years I actually started reading them.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 08:30:59 PM »
Anger. Working out is better than jail. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 08:34:37 PM »
finding Pumping Iron on a PBS station when I was 12 or so.

Then Lee Haney and trying to get Platz legs. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 08:55:16 PM »
For me it was when me and my Father were flipping through Channels one Day ( I had to be around 8 years old or so ) and we happened to come across a Bodybuilding Competition on ESPN ( back when they ACTUALLY Broadcasted Bodybuilding Competitions ) ... I remember being in COMPLETE AWE with the Physiques presented on the Stage that day ... I was absolutely DUMBFOUNDED because these guys looked EXACTLY like the Superheroes I read in my Comic Books ... HELL, even BIGGER ! Back then I use to Draw a lot of Superheroes someday hoping that I, too, would look like one. It wasn't long after that when my Father and I came across some Bodybuilding Mags at a Garage Sale. I bought them IMMEDIATLY ! Because I was so young at that time I never got seriously involved with Bodybuilding ( I wish I would've :D ) ... not until 9 years later when I had a Sports Injury ... been with it ever since.  ;)

I'd also have to say that my Parents DEFINITELY motivated me as well to lift Weights ... my Father was a Fireman and had a very strong Build ... just very dense, thick, and strong. And, surprisingly, my Mother had GREAT Genetics as well ... I don't think I've ever met or seen a Woman as Naturally strong as my Mother other than my Girlfriend.  :D

Sorry guys ... don't mean to gloat ... guess sometimes I just miss the past. Didn't have an easy Childhood at all ( growing up Half-Black, Half-White has it's negative drawbacks :D ) ... just miss some things is all. At any rate,  I would love to hear about your guys's experiences as well !  :)

I was short, fat, out of shape and it was getting worse. I'm still short but have improved the other stuff.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 09:02:57 PM »
GREAT Replies, Guys ! I wish we could get some MORE Replies though ...  :'(

To see how pathetic everyone's genetics are compared to yours... ;)?
I hate the State.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 05:21:59 AM »
Started training in the footy (Rugby League) off season and just got hooked. Plan on competing one day, but i am still young (18).

I just love training and have a pretty good base to work with and have seen results, so my motivation is pretty high. I guess i try and take it pretty serious (good diet, rest, training).

I was pretty fat when i started and , whilst i am hardly what you would call ripped right now, I'm pretty happy with the results. But to me it all comes down to the enjoyment i get in the gym. To me its fun, and i find it crazy that some people find it a hassle or a chore to go to the gym.
No doubt about it...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 08:15:58 AM »
Started training in the footy (Rugby League) off season and just got hooked. Plan on competing one day, but i am still young (18).

I just love training and have a pretty good base to work with and have seen results, so my motivation is pretty high. I guess i try and take it pretty serious (good diet, rest, training).

I was pretty fat when i started and , whilst i am hardly what you would call ripped right now, I'm pretty happy with the results. But to me it all comes down to the enjoyment i get in the gym. To me its fun, and i find it crazy that some people find it a hassle or a chore to go to the gym.

Whippersnapper... :-\
I hate the State.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 11:35:16 AM »
I saw a pic of Flex Wheeler in the back of a Ironman magazine back in 1994. It was an ad for the 1992 USA's video. I wanted to look just like him. At the time I was naive, but then I had weight training classes in high school. The strength coach came over and told me i should take up weight-training because I was disciplined and didn't care about impressing people.

Psychophysio

• Getbig III
  • Worthless
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 10:27:57 AM »
I was impressed by Conan The barbarian when I saw Arnold in it, and then what sealed it for me was seeing Gary Strydom and Rich Gaspari in a Muscle & Fitness mag in 1987. I had never seen veins like Gaspari's before!
The jungle of the senses.

alejandro_torres

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 09:37:41 AM »
girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how come no one said that one already?

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 11:48:04 AM »
I was like a lot of kids who just started lifting weights to improve performance in sports.  Then one day I saw a Flex magazine on the newsstand with Tom Platz on the cover, doing a set of squats.  I was like "Holy crap!" and picked it up (I still have that issue to this day.) 

Sheesh, that was in 1984... I've been around this stuff way too long.   8)

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 08:17:54 PM »
I was like a lot of kids who just started lifting weights to improve performance in sports.  Then one day I saw a Flex magazine on the newsstand with Tom Platz on the cover, doing a set of squats.  I was like "Holy crap!" and picked it up (I still have that issue to this day.) 

Sheesh, that was in 1984... I've been around this stuff way too long.   8)
[/quote

The exact same magazine for me. i saw his quads and was blown away.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 08:32:51 AM »
Peer pressure and not wanting to be "the small guy"
All my friends got into lifting so I got into it cuz I didn't wanna be smaller than them.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 01:58:03 PM »
finding Pumping Iron on a PBS station when I was 12 or so.

exactly, then ordering the Charles Atlas course from a comic book

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2007, 03:06:48 PM »
GREAT REPLIES GUYS !

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 12:02:18 AM »
exactly, then ordering the Charles Atlas course from a comic book

And how old are you exactly???   :P
It hasn't helped...