Author Topic: What Initially Got You Guys Interested In Bodybuilding ?  (Read 10954 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: What Initially Got You Guys Interested In Bodybuilding ?
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 09:50:47 AM »
When  I was a senior in high school, they had this US marine sponsered fitness test based on push ups pull ups , standing long jump, 300 yd sprint, etc. The top scores were invited to compete as team against other school teams in a state championship, which we won.
Two of our team members were these identical twins , Jim and Joe Goltier that had started to get into bodybuilding. They showed me an issue of Muscle Builder and Power ( which morphed in FLEX and Muscle and Fitness). It had Mike Mentzer on the cover and featured guys like Robby Robinson and Frank Zane.
I was hooked and compted in  my first show a couple years later in Greenwich, Conn in the 1979 AAU Mr Eastern Seaboard. I didn't win, but I did place and got to meet Mike Katz, the show promoter. Chris Dickerson was a judge and gave out the trophies.
The top  bodybuilders I met that day, in that era were all class acts.
I was hooked on lifting and the bodybuilding lifestyle, it seemed so healthy and positive. I had heard of steroids and would find out soon after just how common they were in my new sport.
That made me sad, but would use myself, in small amounts from '83-'86 only to return to my drug free roots later.
Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 06:30:57 PM »
i'm no bb, & probably never wil be. i just came into this site about 8 years go looking for supplements and a way to get a little bigger, cause i was working out on and off at the time. i really got into working out more when i was 18 and a friend of mine signed me up for a bench press competition to raise $ for his fratrnity. i was only about 125lbs at the time, but i benched 175! iwas blown away, and since then wanted to get more into lifing. i know...what would i be doing in a bb site if i don't want to be a bb? well, i like the site!  8)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 11:16:31 PM »
an issue of muscular development with melvin anthony flexing his bicep and its said something like "marvelous guns". it was right after his win at the noc. but it wasnt that cover that inspired me...i bought the magazine because i wanted to startw orking out; but when i opened it they had a leg training article with branch warrenn. firstbodybuilder i had ever seen pictures of (other than the cover of the mag..)..and i thought it looked so awesome. he looked "like he is wearing football pads with a cowboy collar" and his legs were unfucking believable for a human being to possess. my entire family was disgusted by it. i thought it looked really awesome.

this is one of the pictures from that article=

DeketheCreep

• Getbig IV
  • then does a head stand and spread his ass apart!
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 09:51:14 PM »
walking in a super market and seeing this flex cover of dorian,ive been hooked since!

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 11:39:34 AM »
To pick up chicks 
Hey at least I am being honest  :D

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 11:25:17 PM »
walking in a super market and seeing this flex cover of dorian,ive been hooked since!

IMO that's a terrible pic
It hasn't helped...

Rydawg

• Getbig I
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2007, 03:23:34 AM »
When I graduated from high school, I was 265 lbs at 5'11" and had a 42 inch waist. I had always been a fat kid, but that was my all time worst. So then I started college and started lifting and working out at the school gym. Being a stupid kid, I read a book by Arnold and thought that I had to spend 3 + hours a day in the gym, so that's what I did. I ended up getting down to 179 lbs with a 32 inch waist within 7 months.

About a year later, I joined Gold's Gym and met up with some true bodybuilders. After they saw me in there doing my marathon training sessions, they set me straight and taught me the right way to train. Once I started to actually see gains in my strength and size, I started reading the magazines to learn more about nutrition and different training routines. Through those magazines, I began to learn about professional bodybuilding, found it interesting and have been following it ever since.

It's been nearly 14 years since I started lifting and I have to admit that I'm physically and mentally addicted to it.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2007, 06:54:13 AM »
My brother came up w/ a muscle magazine in the mid 1970s with Arnold, Casey, Samir, etc in it  and said, "I'm gonna look like that".
We were just teens, but He was dead serious.

I was shocked at the pictures, never seen guys like that. We all ready had weight set etc but
started to read and lift with a goal of looking like those stars...

My Bro was real gung-ho and had a great natural base. A Perfect small natural mesomorph.
The relatives and friends mostly told us all the usual: Those guys are all drugs, have either no nuts, tiny
penis, or alternately a monstrous member from being all drugs and all gay, you'll become "musclebound",
too much muscle can "crush your heart" that's why I dont want to get too "built".... Yada Yada yada....  ::)
But our parrents just let us to our happy  pursuit in the dank back corner of the basement.

We were undeterred by all the BS and crazy to see the next pictures of our hero's.
It was a time that BBing went mainstream due to Arnold's unusual presence and personality.
Frankly, at this point I prefer their builds to our current Mr Olympia.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2007, 07:03:27 AM »
i was around 13 or 14 and saw Tom Platz' legs. I ran right out and got one of those 110 lb Wieder plastic and cement weight sets. i remember a bout a pound of sand would fall into my eye everytime i was benching (which is probably the only thing i did back then.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2007, 07:58:14 AM »
i was around 13 or 14 and saw Tom Platz' legs. I ran right out and got one of those 110 lb Wieder plastic and cement weight sets. i remember a bout a pound of sand would fall into my eye everytime i was benching (which is probably the only thing i did back then.
Yup benching and curls.
A buddy used to come round to my place and we would do benches and barbell curls while bouncing a cigarette LOL  ;D

CTHULU DAWN

• Getbig I
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 08:14:59 PM »
Bored

ILuvPriest

• Getbig II
  • BOW TO ME NOW!
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 08:23:36 PM »
My sister started competing when she was 13 and I went to every show. Seeing those guys and girls working hard at their physiques at such a young age...very inspiring. Got me interested and have been ever since.
I WILL EAT YOU!

the_doc

• Getbig II
  • Bigger Stronger Faster
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2007, 03:48:35 PM »
1)Commando, Twins
2)UK gladiator tv show in the early 90's.
3)a new healthfood/supplement/BB shop opened in the town nearest me. i went in and picked up a copy of Musclemag with feature on the 1997 Olympia. It was like lookin at pictures of aliens. When I showed my friends and dad a picture of paul dillet they thought the BB's and me were crazy and wierd. i thought those pictures were amazing. I was hooked. 10 years later when i finally went to the olympia i got that same feeling that i was looking at people who wre another species.
the Doc
The Dude Abides

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2007, 03:50:09 PM »
Hulk Hogan..oh yeah...i grew up in Venice

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2007, 05:45:02 PM »
Arnold and his side-chest pose.

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2007, 10:15:27 AM »
Turning 40  :o
Wrestled in high school....lifted some weights
In my 20's ....benches and curls
In my 30's 8 ball and 9 ball
Then finally looking in the mirror at 39 and getting into bb
Time flies when your having fun

YiriSS

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2007, 01:13:02 AM »
when i seen this pic of sergio

till to this day it inspires me to train hard

cheers

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2007, 06:26:42 AM »
Sergios Pics are still inspiring...  ;)  Awesome.

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2007, 04:02:30 PM »
Sergios Pics are still inspiring...  ;)  Awesome.

Indeed !  8)

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2007, 04:37:50 PM »
That's how a BB'r should look IMO.

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2007, 12:39:37 AM »
What got interested in bodybuilding

1 The Hulkster

2 Watching any Arnold film

3 The blood and sweet in the gym

4 lifting heavy bad ass weights

5 the grunting and the yelling yeah buddy light weight baby.

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2007, 12:30:46 AM »

Indeed !  8)

I'm not entirely convinced he had a good chest though.  In the side chest pose his chest is tiny in these pics.  Any better ones to prove me wrong?
It hasn't helped...

The_Iron_Disciple

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team New Dad
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2007, 03:28:43 AM »
I'm not entirely convinced he had a good chest though.  In the side chest pose his chest is tiny in these pics.  Any better ones to prove me wrong?

This should help you out a little ... sorry for the late Reply, though ... been busy a lot lately.  :-\ :)

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=154371.0

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2007, 07:59:55 AM »
I grew up in the 80’s with
Conan,
He-man,
WWF,
Testosterone was all around me – even in the f*cking toy stores.
Muscularity seemed the norm, and I wanted it, too.

Still do.

The Next BIG Thing!

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Trample the leaves, hurdle the deadfalls.
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2007, 11:20:25 AM »
It's difficult to pinpoint any particular moment when I became interested in bodybuilding, but for sure I was always struck by muscular physiques.

There are several events which spring to mind, though.

One is Tom Platz's appearance on a network chat show over here in the mid-Eighties, long before cable was available. He dropped his pants and the British studio audience's jaws dropped! At home as a kid of around ten, I couldn't believe what I saw.

Another time I was watching one of the Rocky films on TV. I must've commented upon Stallone's physique, 'cos I remember my father pointing out that he (Sly) had built himself to look that way. Not that my father knew or knows anything about BBing; but it's significant that up until then I must have assumed that some men just happen to grow up looking like that!

Perhaps during the same film broadcast, I remember seeing Hulk Hogan as 'Thunder Lips' in the ring with Rocky for a charity exhibition bout. I noted the immense difference in builds, and I think I assumed that maybe the bigger guy just worked harder!  ;D

And I recall watching Film '85 with Barry Norman (a long-running Brit TV show) and listening to Norman describing then-new big-time movie star Arnold Schwarzenegger, and his Rambo-clone movie Commando. He showed the clip where Arnold's character jumps from the plane's landing gear into a marsh.

(This is around the time when wowsers like the Hollywood Wives began blaming movie stars and rock bands for all the world's ills, and Arnold/Stallone were fave targets for such nerds.)

Anyway, the point is, Arnold was in the right place at the right time for someone like me to be blown away by his physique. God knows what I would've thought if I'd seen a picture of him ten years previously!

Even though I didn't start heaving weights myself until I was 21, I'm sure that the seeds were sown more than ten years before.

TNBT

Only 25 characters!?