Author Topic: What Initially Got You Guys Interested In Bodybuilding ?  (Read 11020 times)

roc

• Getbig III
Re: What Initially Got You Guys Interested In Bodybuilding ?
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2007, 10:06:23 AM »
I.D. for me it was seeing arnold and lou and the other guy's on the mag's back then. although, those guy's tried to fool people that drugs did not contribute to thier gains. ask dave drapper if his new heart valves are working ok. arnold too. regardless of thier misrepresentation thier physiques got me started.

The Next BIG Thing!

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • Trample the leaves, hurdle the deadfalls.
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2007, 12:17:42 PM »
Dave Draper is a tiresome git for sure.

I read some of Brother Iron, Sister Steel and knew before too long that I wasn't gonna finish it.

If Draper's trying to tout himself as some sort of high-thinking man apart, he's gone too far by a long stretch.

He gets himself so bogged down in wordiness and conceptuality, his point (if there is one) gets buried in the avalanche.

What is clear in parts, is that Draper (as Roc mentioned) is still trying to distance himself from gear use, and certainly from 'excessive' gear use.

Fuck off, Dave! You get those 21-inchers and chest to match, just from a handful of D'bols as a Christmas treat? LOL!

I have to laugh when bodybuilders downplay their juicing like maybe they oughta be ashamed of it. Duh, guys! Maybe you used a few grams this week, but look out the window, the world's still turning!

Or even better, those natural guys who seem to want a standing ovation for being 'clean' as if the rest of us are dirty rotten fake motherfuckers. LOL! The most pathetic ones are the liars who juice then take part in natural shows. How much of a tight-ass, conflicted child do you have to be!?

So yeah, please don't buy that 'blonde' prick's products, just encourages him.

TNBT
Only 25 characters!?

Bruffy

• Getbig II
  • If it's not metal, it's crap!
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008, 09:02:17 PM »
Watching my younger brother train.  I couldn't have him beating the shite out of me because he was making gains.  That, and watching Pumping Iron late one night on the midnight movies.
I

The Next BIG Thing!

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2008, 02:48:33 PM »
Watching my younger brother train.  I couldn't have him beating the shite out of me because he was making gains.  That, and watching Pumping Iron late one night on the midnight movies.

Interesting to note that Meinhard Schwarzenegger took up weight-resistance training for a short while too, and reportedly was more slim-waisted than Arnold, had broader shoulders, and more innate muscularity.

Moot now though, 'cos of course he's long-dead, and he quickly lost interest in the gym.

Which is fair enough. Bodybuilding by its very nature isn't something you can be half-into. Not if you want to be any good!

I think bodybuidling is either in your blood or it ain't.

TNBT
Only 25 characters!?

youngguns

• Getbig II
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2008, 09:42:08 AM »
My older brother had one picture cut out of a mag hanging by the dumbbells in his room. I was like ten but I still remember it was a pic of Yates training biceps in black and white. My brother never did anything with those dumbbells but that pic was all it took for me, been training ever since. Thank You Mr. Yates.

The Next BIG Thing!

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2008, 05:54:18 AM »
Great post man! :)

You mean you just strode in and took your brother's neglected dumb-bells?

Nice one LOL!

TNBT
Only 25 characters!?

scottmowry

• Getbig I
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2008, 11:20:39 AM »
I guess for me it was Lee Haney's show on ESPN back in the day.  Then when Dorian hit the scene it was all over.  I was hooked.

Moosejay

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2008, 03:50:34 PM »
My father brought me magazines home when I was about 12...Zane , Coe and Tinnerino on the cover.

I was very impressed by Zanes calves...and seated calves was the first exercise I did when I first went to the gym at 15. Not chest, not arms...calves!

Also, the Hulk on tv inspired me.

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2008, 04:15:24 PM »
I was 15 and my girlfriend was really into it- had the hardest ass I had ever (or have ever) seen.  I was 5'10" and 110 lbs, so it was embarassing walking around with this amazon chick.  I picked up a FLEX with Ray on the cover ('90), saw pictures of Labrada and Benfatto, bought some dumbells, and I was hooked.  Put on 40 lbs that year, and 60 since then.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2008, 12:26:54 PM »
I was working security at the 2004 Nationals here in Dallas, and seeing those guys is what did it for me.  Palumbo was there ( not competing ) I was out in the lobby and saw him come up the escalator , he was wearing shorts and when I saw his legs thats what inspired me to get into bodybuilding.  I had no idea who he was at the time but I later saw him in MD.  I told him that story at the Europa this past year.

I was in the gym before that but had no idea what I was doing or how to eat and did not no shit about bodybuilding.

The Next BIG Thing!

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2008, 05:29:52 AM »
More great stories!

Karl, yours in quite unusual, in that you had to see the guys in the flesh to get truly inspired, rather than the mags/television that puts a rocket up most up most of our asses.

Frog, you musta had something else going on if you got the girl while you were still a bag o' bones!  ;)

Mooseman, my first-time-in-the-gym story has parallels with yours.

I began training with my legs foremost in my thoughts. Since I was old enough to be self-conscious (i.e. adolescence) I'd used every excuse in the book not to wear shorts. Looking back, a bunch of my classmates were skinnier than me from the waist down, but anxiety can distort reality, especially at that age.

Anyway, when I borrowed Arnold: The Education... from a buddy who'd bought it but wound up ignoring it, I took on board what Arnold said about legs, and the common temptation to neglect them.

What particularly struck a chord was what he said about calves being the prime muscle of the leg. He pointed out that a guy with poor thighs but great calves will draw compliments for his great legs, but a guy with big thighs and no calves, he'll be singled out as having poor legs.

I went back to the gym with this stuff circling in my head. My workout was squats, standing calves, then whatever else. Perhaps partly as a result of that, my calves are now probably my best muscle group.

TNBT
Only 25 characters!?

The Next BIG Thing!

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2008, 05:42:19 AM »
When I used to watch the Hulk series, I was still very young, was under the impression that some people just look that way!

Muscular I mean, not green!  ;D

Also, Lou was always kinda soft as the Hulk, wasn't he? I guess that was to maximise the Hulk's bulk.

I heard a funny anecdote once from a Hulk producer.

Lou came to hime one day and said Jerry, how come de Incwedible Huwk dudn't hab mo' diawogue?

Jerry replied Well Louie, I just don't think it's a good idea for him to talk... And if he did talk, I don't think he oughta come from Brooklyn!

TNBT  ;D
Only 25 characters!?

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2008, 08:39:41 AM »
For me it was seeing bbdr's of shorter stature. Lee Labrada, Rich Gaspari, Franco Columbo and Lee Priest. If they did it I figured I could do it too and they all look awesome.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2008, 09:29:20 AM »
I was trying to gain muscle for wrestling season.  Got Bob paris' "Beyond Built".