Author Topic: FOX News Poll: Half of Voters Eye Candidates' Abortion Stance  (Read 4068 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
FOX News Poll: Half of Voters Eye Candidates' Abortion Stance
« on: October 27, 2007, 02:22:03 AM »
Given that there is probably no true political answer to this issue, it's amazing how important it is on the political landscape. 

FOX News Poll: Half of Voters Eye Candidates' Abortion Stance
Friday, October 26, 2007

By Dana Blanton

NEW YORK —  Even though few Americans say abortion will be the most important issue for them in the upcoming election, nearly half say they need to know a candidate’s position on abortion before deciding their vote for president.

A FOX News poll released Friday shows that 45 percent of Americans need to know a candidate’s position on abortion before they vote, while 53 percent say it is not something they need to know.

Click here to view the full results of the poll.

It’s more important to pro-life voters than for any other group. A 56 percent majority of those identifying themselves as pro-life say they need to know where a candidate stands on abortion, while 41 percent of pro-choice voters, 48 percent of women, 46 percent of Republicans and 51 percent of born-again Christians, need to know.

"It is interesting to note that even among pro-life voters only slightly more than half need to know," comments Opinion Dynamics Chairman John Gorman. "While many of them may assume that they already know or that the Republicans will only nominate an acceptable candidate, it is still notable that the issue doesn’t seem to draw as much attention as many think it does."

Stories
FOX News Poll: Voters Say President’s Party Not a Huge Concern Full-page FNC Poll Archive All in all, 5 percent of voters say abortion will be the most important issue in their vote decision, putting it on equal footing with immigration (5 percent) and ethics (5 percent), but far below the top issues of Iraq (22 percent), terrorism (18 percent), economy/jobs (17 percent) and health care (13 percent).

The national telephone poll was conducted for FOX News by Opinion Dynamics Corp. among 900 registered voters from Oct. 23 to Oct. 24. The poll has a 3-point error margin.

The poll was taken in conjunction with a FOX News documentary that was to premier Saturday, Oct. 27, at 9 p.m. ET. The documentary, "Facing Reality: Choice," follows three women who are trying to decide what to do about their problem or unwanted pregnancies.

In the documentary, hosted by E.D. Hill, two of the pregnant women are unmarried. The third woman and her husband learn the child she is carrying has a fatal birth defect and cannot live outside the womb. They must decide whether to abort the pregnancy.

The poll finds that 53 percent of Americans think abortion should be legal if the baby has a fatal birth defect, including 26 percent of those identified as pro-life, and 30 percent think it should be illegal.

The highest number — 73 percent — say abortion should be legal if the pregnancy puts the mother’s life at risk, and a sizable 70 percent majority thinks it should be allowed in the case of rape or incest. A smaller 56 percent majority of Americans says the procedure should be legal when the mother's mental health is at stake.

About 4 in 10 (39 percent) think that abortion should be legal if the pregnancy is simply unwanted, while half (50 percent) say it should be illegal.

Overall, 48 percent of Americans say on the issue of abortion they are pro-choice and 37 percent say pro-life.

Democrats (62 percent) and independents (52 percent) identified themselves as pro-choice, while Republicans (56 percent) identified themselves as pro-life. Slightly more women (52 percent) than men (44 percent) say they are pro-choice.

"Interesting, these partisan differences are relatively small in these partisan times," Gorman said. "Compared to the party split on Bush’s job rating, they are practically non-existent."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305456,00.html

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: FOX News Poll: Half of Voters Eye Candidates' Abortion Stance
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 12:49:45 AM »
Given that there is probably no true political answer to this issue, it's amazing how important it is on the political landscape. 

Further evidence that half the people in this country just aren't that bright...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 10:44:39 AM »
Further evidence that half the people in this country just aren't that bright...

Yeah.  Why would half the people in this country care about a woman's bodily integrity or killing unborn children. . . .

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »
The only real political solution is to place conditions on it like only in cases of incest, rape or dire health.  I don't believe that but getting rid of it completely would be "fun" to deal with.  If abortion is legal then they need to stop charging those who kill pregnant mothers with double homicide.
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 11:00:33 AM »
The only real political solution is to place conditions on it like only in cases of incest, rape or dire health.  I don't believe that but getting rid of it completely would be "fun" to deal with.  If abortion is legal then they need to stop charging those who kill pregnant mothers with double homicide.

I don't think people will ever be satisfied with whatever "solution" we develop.  Even abortion in cases of rape or incest kills an innocent child.

I don't think third trimester abortions are legal most places?  Not sure.  If that's true, that might explain why some states charge people with murder if an unborn child is killed. 

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 11:45:08 AM »
I don't think people will ever be satisfied with whatever "solution" we develop.  Even abortion in cases of rape or incest kills an innocent child.

I don't think third trimester abortions are legal most places?  Not sure.  If that's true, that might explain why some states charge people with murder if an unborn child is killed. 

Exactly, and I would never want that but I could see that solution happening before eliminating abortion all together.  As far as murder, regardless of trimester, if people do not believe a child in the womb is not a life until birth then they should not care if there is only one count of homicide rather than 2.  Women talk about right to choose but abortion these days is simply an act of convenience and not a matter of life or death.  If a woman does not want to ruin her career or "figure" then 1.) don't have sex, 2.) have your hubby get the snip, 3.) have your bf, hubby, fuck buddy wear a rubber and you go on the pill.  Responsibility on the part of women is more necessary than the right to choose whether to KILL or not, but they don't see it that way.
Squishy face retard

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 02:48:37 PM »
I think we all know what wedge issues are, but voting based on a single stance and becoming a one issue voter is well....stupid. Wedge issues fuel politics though.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 03:39:52 PM »

what's the age breakdown?  Isn't over half the voting population over 50?

When you get to be 50, religion weighs a lot more on your mind than it might when you're young.  18-year olds worry about war and social security being there.  Older people focus on health care and religious issues (staying alive, and facing whatever comes next).

If you're old and/or retired, you might not be able to affect much in thie world.  Your vote is about the only thing you do to make a difference.  Electing a man like Rudy or Romney, both who helped make abortion easier/legal in their state/cities... well, it might matter a lot to you. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 03:47:21 PM »

hahaha, so true.   :-\

Abortion shouldn't even be an issue.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 03:51:54 PM »
Yeah.  Why would half the people in this country care about a woman's bodily integrity or killing unborn children. . . .

There will always be more kids.

What's the loss of a few million?

It's a medical procedure, nothing more. 

Do I support anyone's 'right' a late-term abortion?  No, but then again, that's not openly permitted by law, is it?

If people who get pregnant don't want to carry the fetuses to term, why should they be forced to??

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 04:36:49 PM »
What's telling is that in the mists of a mismanaged war on terror, a spending of 650 billion on a war based on false intel, a pathetic education system, and a potential conflict with Iran, people are still running around worried about other people's views on abortion.

America is truly a pasture.

sheep go left, sheep go right, sheep go where you are told to go.

Sad and disgusting.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 05:00:30 PM »

Do I support anyone's 'right' a late-term abortion?  No, but then again, that's not openly permitted by law, is it?

If people who get pregnant don't want to carry the fetuses to term, why should they be forced to??

So we shouldn't be FORCED to carry the fodder for welfare families and illegal immigrants but we ARE.

As far as 18 year old kids, most do not talk about Social Security and the ones that do not have a clear understanding of the issue but rather another weapon in their so called arsenal of rhetoric against the Bush Administration.  Abortion isn't an issue for that age group because they are liberal minded and have unprotected sex at higher rates than older groups and needs abortion at an increasing rate.  They have the "if it feels good do it" mentality and they continue with that after having an abortion.  If you are responsible enough to have sex you are responsible to have a kid.

Squishy face retard

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 06:48:52 PM »
So we shouldn't be FORCED to carry the fodder for welfare families and illegal immigrants but we ARE.

As far as 18 year old kids, most do not talk about Social Security and the ones that do not have a clear understanding of the issue but rather another weapon in their so called arsenal of rhetoric against the Bush Administration.  Abortion isn't an issue for that age group because they are liberal minded and have unprotected sex at higher rates than older groups and needs abortion at an increasing rate.  They have the "if it feels good do it" mentality and they continue with that after having an abortion.  If you are responsible enough to have sex you are responsible to have a kid.

What is your stance on abortion?

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 06:50:34 PM »
What is your stance on abortion?
I am against it.

I feel follow up questions coming so I await those.   ;)
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 06:54:24 PM »
Exactly, and I would never want that but I could see that solution happening before eliminating abortion all together.  As far as murder, regardless of trimester, if people do not believe a child in the womb is not a life until birth then they should not care if there is only one count of homicide rather than 2.  Women talk about right to choose but abortion these days is simply an act of convenience and not a matter of life or death.  If a woman does not want to ruin her career or "figure" then 1.) don't have sex, 2.) have your hubby get the snip, 3.) have your bf, hubby, fuck buddy wear a rubber and you go on the pill.  Responsibility on the part of women is more necessary than the right to choose whether to KILL or not, but they don't see it that way.

I agree it is primarily about convenience.  And I agree if a woman doesn't want to get pregnant and will use abortion as a form of birth control, she simply shouldn't have sex (just like you said).

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 06:56:14 PM »
I am against it.

I feel follow up questions coming so I await those.   ;)

To me, it's just weird that you are AGAINST our society taking care of illegals.  Yet you SUPPORT our society taking care of millions of unwanted children born to incompetent idiot decision making parents.  I am personally against it as well - but for public policy - what do you do for those hundreds of thousands of lazy, ignorant, poor-planning people who get preggo every year and dont want it?  Let society support those kids for 18 years?  In that case, how can you hate on supporting illegals?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 06:57:26 PM »
what's the age breakdown?  Isn't over half the voting population over 50?

When you get to be 50, religion weighs a lot more on your mind than it might when you're young.  18-year olds worry about war and social security being there.  Older people focus on health care and religious issues (staying alive, and facing whatever comes next).

If you're old and/or retired, you might not be able to affect much in thie world.  Your vote is about the only thing you do to make a difference.  Electing a man like Rudy or Romney, both who helped make abortion easier/legal in their state/cities... well, it might matter a lot to you. 

I don't what the age breakdown regarding abortion or the voting population.  

I won't pretend to know what weighs on the minds of those 50 and older, although I know many people in that age group.  

This news story does not focus on religion and religion isn't necessarily the dividing line between pro choice and pro life people.  You don't have to be religious to believe killing an unborn child is wrong.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 07:00:20 PM »

I guess if you take the position of many in the pro choice corner of dehumanizing the baby, then the issue becomes as simple as you make it out to be. 

A woman is only "forced" into pregnancy if she is raped. 

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 07:05:32 PM »
To me, it's just weird that you are AGAINST our society taking care of illegals.  Yet you SUPPORT our society taking care of millions of unwanted children born to incompetent idiot decision making parents.  I am personally against it as well - but for public policy - what do you do for those hundreds of thousands of lazy, ignorant, poor-planning people who get preggo every year and dont want it?  Let society support those kids for 18 years?  In that case, how can you hate on supporting illegals?
I'm not for supporting these children either.  Here's what I do support or what can come out of this situation.

1.) People, with no option to abort, spend the $ for the jumbo pack of condoms at Costco and go to the free clinic for the pill and become responsible or they have the child and deal with it.
2.) A plus would be a greater number of options to adopt.  Many people cannot have children and want to adopt.  If there were more children to adopt and parents (who otherwise go to 3rd world nations because of less red tape) who were willing to take them then they get a home. 

The problem is that abortion has bred laziness, irresponsibility and unsafe sexual practices.  That is what I do not support and all this women's lib crap was the issue with abortion, not the number of children to be aborted.  Poor people will always have children and we will always get guilted into paying for them, which is wrong too.  I truly believe that no person should have child unless they can support it but that will never happen and if they are unsafe, they pay the consequences and so do I but I do not have to agree with it.  Illegals only couple the problem because of the number of them born out of wedlock.  Hell, illegals tend to have large families that we pay for so to me they are more of a problem than little Susie Slut having one child that she may or may not support on her own or via welfare.

A woman is only "forced" into pregnancy if she is raped. 
Exactly.
Squishy face retard

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 07:09:36 PM »
I don't what the age breakdown regarding abortion or the voting population.  

I won't pretend to know what weighs on the minds of those 50 and older, although I know many people in that age group.  

This news story does not focus on religion and religion isn't necessarily the dividing line between pro choice and pro life people.  You don't have to be religious to believe killing an unborn child is wrong.  

I agree with you completely.

The news story doesn't talk abot religion.  ANd you dont have to be religious to oppose abortion.

My point is that more older people vote.  Older people focus more on religion than young folks.  Abortion is either murder or not murder, an act whose right/wrong is based in religion way more than societal constraints.

Abortion is a minor issue for most young people.  It's a major issue for old people.  More old people vote.  That's why the issue matters.  It's big for who gets elected.  Then, the issue goes back to not mattering much for 4 years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 07:15:31 PM »
I agree with you completely.

The news story doesn't talk abot religion.  ANd you dont have to be religious to oppose abortion.

My point is that more older people vote.  Older people focus more on religion than young folks.  Abortion is either murder or not murder, an act whose right/wrong is based in religion way more than societal constraints.

Abortion is a minor issue for most young people.  It's a major issue for old people.  More old people vote.  That's why the issue matters.  It's big for who gets elected.  Then, the issue goes back to not mattering much for 4 years.

I doubt abortion is more important to "older" voters.  Old people generally don't get pregnant.  I think this issue is far more important to women who are still in their child bearing years (18 to 40 or so).

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 07:21:23 PM »
I doubt abortion is more important to "older" voters.  Old people generally don't get pregnant.  I think this issue is far more important to women who are still in their child bearing years (18 to 40 or so).

Do you feel that older people vote more along religions lines, than younger voters?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 07:24:09 PM »
Do you feel that older people vote more along religions lines, than younger voters?

I don't know and that's really not relevant to whether or not abortion is an important issue, unless religion views drive people to be pro choice or pro life. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 07:43:01 PM »
I don't know and that's really not relevant to whether or not abortion is an important issue, unless religion views drive people to be pro choice or pro life. 

I think religion does sway some from not getting an abortion.

If ever there has been ONE voter who used religion as a basis for deciding abortion is wrong, then my point has been proven.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 07:54:03 PM »
I think religion does sway some from not getting an abortion.

If ever there has been ONE voter who used religion as a basis for deciding abortion is wrong, then my point has been proven.

lol.  I think religion does not sway some from getting an abortion.  And if ONE voter decides not to get an abortion and that decision has nothing to do with religion, my point has been proved.  Pretty simplistic either way. 

I'm sure there is a poll out there somewhere that has asked questions about religion and abortion, but I don't care to look.